Canuck's Embassy

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do know canadians who do say aboot, so it might be a provincial or rural thing.

Comment

Here comes the resident goalie. I might move to Canada to play juniors if I don't like college.

To start off, has anyone heard that Ed Belfour will not be playing goalie for Team Canada because of his back injury? They're sending in Theodore instead. Grr
      Eddie has a back injury and is going to rest up for the hopeful NHL season. Theodore won't get playing time I believe, Brodeur and Luongo are too good of goaltenders. The main reason they signed Eddie on is to show Luongo the ropes, he wouldn't have gotten a lot of playing time sadly. I love Belfour.

Comment

*wanders into thread* I'm home!! Ummm, not sure if the french question was answered or not...

When I was in school, (Alberta, which is Western Canada) French was mandatory until I believe it was grade six. Might be different now though.

Comment

I'm not Canadian, tho I have been living in Canada (YAY Vancouver!!) for about 10 years now (past two years in Toronto cuz i go to school there).....so I kinda feel I'm part Canadian...:P

I love the Molson Canadian commercials "I AM CANADIAN!"
          I was also very happy when both men and women won the gold medal in hockey in Salt Lake..yay Lucky Loonie!

Comment

Originally posted by SullivanLane
            I have a (maybe stupid) question for Canadians: Are you all taught English and French in primary/secondary school? Or is that only in the eastern part of Canada?
            In Ontario public schools, French is introduced in grade 4 and is manditory until the completion of grade 9 French (first year of high school). Private schools may have it whenever they want, as long as it's there. Then there are also separate "French Immersion" schools that offer most or all classes taught in French. My school has the French Immersion program where the students must take history and geography, and a few other courses in French.

I've taken French up until this coming school year. My teacher did nothing to refresh our language skills, and I've therefore lost a lot of my ability to write it. I understand it quite clearly, but there are so many verb tenses (and that whole masculine/feminine thing ).

Most high schools also offer Spanish from grade 10 and up, and if there are enough students, other languages such as German and Russian.

Comment

Originally posted by KJK

When I was in school, (Alberta, which is Western Canada) French was mandatory until I believe it was grade six. Might be different now though.
              In Vancouver, French was mandatory from grade 5 to grade 8...
              Comment Ca Va? Ca va tres bien merci! HAHa..that's basically all I remember ..and SILENCE TOI! (which means shut up...hehehe)

Comment

Originally posted by sexylexy
                I'm not Canadian, tho I have been living in Canada (YAY Vancouver!!) for about 10 years now (past two years in Toronto cuz i go to school there).....so I kinda feel I'm part Canadian...:P

I love the Molson Canadian commercials "I AM CANADIAN!"
                I was also very happy when both men and women won the gold medal in hockey in Salt Lake..yay Lucky Loonie!
                10 years can count as Canadian, if you want it to

The Molson commercials are my favourite. I hope the Coors merger doesn't affect them!

Have you touched the Lucky Loonie? I got to last summer at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. In fact, I may be going there tomorrow!! And the Royal Canadian Mint is issuing special edition lucky loonies into circulation. I'm hoping to pick one up soon

Comment

Originally posted by i luv tom welling
                  10 years can count as Canadian, if you want it to

The Molson commercials are my favourite. I hope the Coors merger doesn't affect them!

Have you touched the Lucky Loonie? I got to last summer at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. In fact, I may be going there tomorrow!! And the Royal Canadian Mint is issuing special edition lucky loonies into circulation. I'm hoping to pick one up soon
                  I've been to the Hall of Fame..but that was for an architecture project, so didnt' really get to look around....but i'll definately check the loonie out..since I ddin't know its there!

Are they really circulating the lucky loonie edition? wow! didn't know that...I thought I have to buy those!! woohoo! Now i cant' wait to get it!

Comment

I also heard that the juniour team did the same thing with a loonie. Coolness!

As for beer ads, Alexander Keith's are my favorites. Might be because I can do that accent perfectly and it cracks everyone up.

Comment

yea! it think they started the lucky loonie tradition for all the canadian hockey games after the winter olympic...so look out for the lucky loonie on centre ice during the World Championship coming up!...haha Alexander keith's ad is funny too..tho it sometimes does gets a little annoying with the accent :P

who else here says "eh?" often? Tho I'm not Canadian..in fact, I'm oriental...I keep on finding myself saying "eh?" after sentences quite often! lol
                      Last edited by sexylexy; 08-12-2004, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I'm finding myself saying it more lately. Don't know why, eh.

Comment

I say because half my team is canadian. .

Comment

Hehe, I went to the Alexander Keith's brewery in Halifax, NS, and they also had the bar there where they film the commercials. Of course, I wasn't allowed in

I say 'eh?' when asking some question-type sentences (can't believe they did that, eh?) because, in my opinion, it sounds more intelligent than 'huh?', like "can't believe they did that, huh?". I 've always used 'huh?' when I don't understand something, as a simple sound on it's own

Have you guys tried the new Smarties chocolate bar? They have mini Smarties in white or milk chocolate. I tried the milk chocolate because I often find white is a little too sweet for me (and the darker the chocolate, the healthier it is for you). It's pretty good.

Comment

Man, I wanna go to the Alexander Keith's brewery! Yep, I've tried the new Smarties bar. Tasty! Just not the white chocolate one, white chocolate is gross.

Comment

The only time I really love white chocolate is when it's with milk chocolate. In Ireland they had this Cadbury bar called "Top Deck" (I still have the wrapper!), and it was the normal squares of milk chocolate, like in a Dairy Bar, but with white chocolate on top. It was to die for! Now the only place that I know sells it is an online store from Australia

But I think some of the best chocolate bars you can find in Canada are by Nestle, especially Coffee Crisp

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎