No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Invincible?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by costas22
    Man, talk about a heartbreaker. Don't know what to make of this episode. There was stuff I liked a lot, but there was also some stuff that reminded me of why I hate Arrow. Which I guess goes to prove that all Berlanti shows are blighted by the same kind of writing weaknesses, they're just more evident on Arrow.

- Henry's death was (badly) telegraphed in last week's episode, as well as this one. The clues were countless: Henry staying around, Henry and Tina meeting, Zoom telling Barry that he's never actually witnessed a parent die, Barry's positive attitude, the talk Barry and Henry had at Star Labs and so forth. What bothers me most is that they did this for the same stupid reasons Laurel got killed off on Arrow: Because they couldn't think of any other way to up the ante heading into the season finale and to make Zoom look like a bastard. Greg Berlanti actually previewed this scene by saying "it's that time of the year". So they basically admit they resort to killing off characters because they can't think of anything else. On top of that, it's tremendously shortsighted to (basically) end John Wesley Shipp's run on the show so soon. Besides being a good actor, he was the perfect bridge between this show and the 1990 Flash. Yeah, he didn't appear much, but he gave a new sense of gravitas to the Flash when he did show up. I understand JWS may still show up in flashbacks or as the man in the iron mask, but it won't be the same, IMO.

- Won't lie, Henry and Tina meeting warmed my heart. It's something I wanted to see ever since this show began. I actually kind of shipped JWS's Barry and Tina in the original series. Sadly, it didn't happen then and it didn't happen here. On the other hand, it was nice to see Tina find out about Barry. Hopefully it will mean more appearances for Amanda Pays down the line. You know, until they kill off Tina as well.

- Barry's positive attitude was a bit over the top and unrealistic. Yeah dude, you are invincible. What about your loved ones though? But I didn't mind that bit so much. What bothered me was that you could just tell the other shoe would drop and he would lose it all again. Kreisberg once said about Arrow (before Sara died in early season 3): "We like to have our characters in a happy place before we take it all away". And that's what they did here. And now Barry will be in the same place Oliver has been in numerous times: Grieving, broken and wondering if he should take a life or not. Meh.

- On a technical side, there were 1-2 times during that last scene where I wondered why Barry didn't try to stop Zoom. Clearly he couldn't reason with him, so why did he just stand there? Even if Zoom is faster, at least try.

- There's something very fishy going on with Caitlin. We never saw what her answer was to Zoom and we don't know how she got away. I don't want to believe she became his mole, but something with her feels off right now.

- Katie Cassidy was a joy to watch. Loved her as Black Siren and I'm glad she didn't die. Her Canary Cry looked badass and her costume was excellent. On a shallow note, Katie should keep the brunette look. Of course, her appearance was accompanied with plenty of poking that the show wasn't subtle about. Dagenspear alluded to it: The dead birds, having Katie say "Bye bye birdie"... I guess certain Executive Producers were really annoyed by the outrage Laurel's death caused and they reacted like children. Kudos.

- So do we finally know when Laurel died on the Flash's timeline? The fact that Caitlin already knows means that it happened before she got abducted by Zoom in episode 18. Also, her line about "loving" Laurel felt so fake. We didn't see the team mourn for her at any point. Not even Cisco who was supposedly a big Black Canary fan.

- I wonder what Zoom's grander plan is. I guess we will find out next week. One thing that bugged me though. How the hell can he create breaches? A couple of episodes ago they clearly established that he couldn't.

- Laurel-fan-poking-dead-birds aside, Cisco's visions were intriguing. I wonder what causes the rift on Earth 2.

- For once, I completely liked Wally in an episode.

- Harry's banter with Cisco and Joe was top notch. That's what makes this show so fun to watch at times. Tom makes any scene he's in much better.

The Runaway Dinosaur was a tremendous episode that should have set up the fina stretch of the season perfectly. Sadly, this was a step back. Βut since Black Siren was awesome and I'm still invested in a Barry/Zoom showdown, I'm giving it a respectable and generous 6.5/10.
    After watching the season finale of LoT, and the big reveal for next season it became clear that LoT will be needing Jay Garrick next year. If the man in the mask is E2 Henry, and the real Jay, then they had to get rid of Henry so JWS could move to LoT.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine-Infantino
      If the man in the mask is E2 Henry, and the real Jay, then they had to get rid of Henry so JWS could move to LoT.
      Why? A character can't be alive and not on screen at the same time? We rarely see Captain Singh, but he's still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine-Infantino
        After watching the season finale of LoT, and the big reveal for next season it became clear that LoT will be needing Jay Garrick next year. If the man in the mask is E2 Henry, and the real Jay, then they had to get rid of Henry so JWS could move to LoT.
        Yeah, was thinking the same. If they do a JSA arc, Jay Garrick is bound to show up at some point. And having JWS play the part here and there would be a nice twist. Keep in mind that we did see him in his Flash suit when Oliver travelled to Earth 2.

I have a feeling season 2 of LoT might deal with the multiverse instead of time travel.

Comment

Yeah, was thinking the same. If they do a JSA arc, Jay Garrick is bound to show up at some point. And having JWS play the part here and there would be a nice twist. Keep in mind that we did see him in his Flash suit when Oliver travelled to Earth 2.
          Yeah, but that was the JWS Barry, not the (presumed) JWS Jay.

Comment

I have a feeling season 2 of LoT might deal with the multiverse instead of time travel.
            You know what would be kinda awesome? If you're familiar at all with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, they did an episode called "Trials and Tribble-ations", which crossed over with an episode of the original Star Trek series. I would LOVE it if LoT dealt with the Multiverse and crossed over with DC's past endeavors. Heck, in theory, they could cross over with Burton's Batman and Donner's Superman if they inter-cut like that episode of DS9.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
              Yeah, but that was the JWS Barry, not the (presumed) JWS Jay.
              Yeah, that shot was taken from the 90s series. But maybe that's how JWS Jay was in his prime, minus the helmet. Just a fan theory. In all likelyhood, it was a nod to the original Flash series existing in an alternate Earth.

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
              You know what would be kinda awesome? If you're familiar at all with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, they did an episode called "Trials and Tribble-ations", which crossed over with an episode of the original Star Trek series. I would LOVE it if LoT dealt with the Multiverse and crossed over with DC's past endeavors. Heck, in theory, they could cross over with Burton's Batman and Donner's Superman if they inter-cut like that episode of DS9.
              Can't say that I've watched Star Trek, but I see where you're getting at. I'd love to see it as well. There are a few ways they could go. Dean Cain (he already works on a Berlanti show) or Tom Welling could appear as Superman from another Earth, Justin Hartley could appear as Oliver Queen from another Earth along with Chloe, JWS could appear as Barry from another Earth as we mentioned and so forth.

Comment

Can't say that I've watched Star Trek, but I see where you're getting at. I'd love to see it as well. There are a few ways they could go. Dean Cain (he already works on a Berlanti show) or Tom Welling could appear as Superman from another Earth, Justin Hartley could appear as Oliver Queen from another Earth along with Chloe, JWS could appear as Barry from another Earth as we mentioned and so forth.
                Yes, to all of that, but I mean they could literally splice in the present day characters with footage from old series and films.

Like this:

Grant Gustin's Barry on an old episode of Adam West's Batman would make me so happy.
                Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 05-20-2016, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Keep in mind that we did see him in his Flash suit when Oliver travelled to Earth 2.
                  Um Oliver never traveled to Earth 2 and I highly doubt I missed that episode.

Comment

David Cassidy is Katie Cassidy's father and discovered that David played Mirror Master on the original Flash TV show years ago. Now just recently Katie is the Black Siren on our current Flash TV show.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎