No announcement yet.

Batman: No Man's Land Essential Reading

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batman: No Man's Land Essential Reading

In case anyone's lurking and is familiar with this story, I've intended to read No Man's Land for years, but I haven't gotten around to it for one reason or another. One of the most notable reasons is that I haven't felt strongly enough about reading it to justify the cost.

I recently did some searching, and it turns out that in addition to the four big volumes of No Man's Land that I was looking at, there are two upcoming volumes of Road to No Man's Land. On top of that, Cataclysm is where the actual earthquake happens, and there are two more stories - Contagion and Legacy - that are billed as lead-ins to No Man's Land.

If anyone has read any or all of this, I'm wondering:

a) Is it truly necessary to read all of these precursor events, or would I be fine with the four volumes of the event proper?
    b) If it's like a lot of comic book events, most tie-in issues are unnecessary. How necessary is it to have the four-volume version that includes all the various Bat series (Nightwing, Robin, Catwoman, etc.) versus the old five-volume release that only includes the core Batman titles?
    c) Has anyone read the novelization by Greg Rucka, and is it a satisfactory substitute?

I appreciate any insight.

I'd appreciate any insight on this as well. I'll probably just read No Man's Land Vol. 1-4 and maybe get Cataclysm sooner or later.

Comment

At the moment, I think I'm going to spring for the novel. I've read some good comments about it, with a few suggesting it might be better than the actual comic book event because it's allowed to be streamlined and focused. I've read a couple of DC's novels and enjoyed them, so that'll hopefully be the case here as well. I need to read more non-comic books anyway.

Comment

I'd consider No Man's Land required reading for Bat fans, esp. if you're big fan of TDK trilogy. I was all over this mini-series back in the day. Its influences can be found in the films, the video games and even in Arrow nowadays.

You can dive right into No Man's Land from Vol. 1, read it through to the last volume, it's not necessary to read the others to enjoy it (although Contagion, Legacy and Cataclysm might be considered a bit of a prequel). Legacy was pretty good and definitely recommended if you're a Ra's Al Ghul fan.

Comment

Thanks. Do you know anything about the comparison between the old five-volume version and the newer four-volume version? I know the newer version includes all the supporting characters' books, but I can't shake the feeling that it will feel unnecessarily long that way.

Comment

Even the old version (graphic novel volumes I'm referring to) includes some character-specific issues and one-shots. They're ok to read I guess, for the sake of context. But not necessary. I wouldn't worry about having to read all the tie-ins if the newer version has added more. The old volumes are fine if you can get them -- it's what I have.

Comment

Cool. I'll look into it.

Comment

i will love to read batman no man landing all his volume just not getting some time when i will get i will surely read it thanks btw
                Router Spectrum
                Spy phone App
                Charter Spectrum
                Last edited by james123786; 02-07-2022, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎