Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 82
  1. #61
    Custom Title jon-el87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,469

  2. #62
    Pirate King Backward Galaxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    The Danger Zone
    Posts
    11,011
    Much better trailer. Leagues better. But I'm still not getting Lando and Han from those two.

    I think the only way for me to enjoy this film is for me to go in just treating them as new characters who happen to have all the same names. If I can do that, it looks like there's a chance I'll be able to enjoy it. I do like Ron Howard and Woody Harrelson.

  3. #63
    Custom Title jon-el87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,469

  4. #64
    Forum Regular AsteroidMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 17
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    358
    Pretty sure they can pull it off, and I'm not terribly worried seeing as how Donald Glover can make any role work.

  5. #65
    Not us united costas22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Posts
    76,721
    So Han is allowed to hold a gun in this poster?

  6. #66
    The New Legacy!!! darkphoenix21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    Trying to rise above!
    Posts
    88,176

  7. #67
    Custom Title jon-el87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,469
    Watched it a few hours ago. Quite enjoyed it. Think the fact that it was directed by Ron Howard (who was 23 and had already directed when the first SW was released) really helped. These younger filmmakers saw the films as kids, were inspired by them and really overdo on the nostalgia. Here, there are no moments that feels like "oh, remember this scene in the OT?" Sure, [SPOILER]Chewie and Beckett play the holochess a bit, but comes across as natural. They're traveling on this ship and have nothing to do, so they use the established onboard entertainment.[/SPOILER] Thought they did a good job at subverting my expectations. [SPOILER]Like with the first Sabacc game. I'm sure most of us were expecting Han to win the Falcon right there.[/SPOILER]

    Glad they kept [SPOILER]the Empire stuff to a minimum. After all, not everything Star Wars has to revolve around them fighting the Empire.[/SPOILER] Though, I liked what they [SPOILER]included of Han's time in imperial service. We're shown that the Empire isn't just an oppressive force, but it's also determined to expand itself. To grow. And, to do so, they invade and conquer other worlds.[/SPOILER]

    Liked Qi'ra a lot more than I thought I would. [SPOILER]She's allowed to be strong and proactive, without it feeling like the screenwriters have had to put Han down, to do it.[/SPOILER] For some reason, both Jyn Erso and Qi'ra have been good written characters, while Rey (the one who has an entire trilogy devoted to her) is terrible. Of course, so far, the anthology films have been better than the films of the sequel trilogy. Maybe they should've started out with an anthology movie, then moved on with a sequel trilogy.

    Also liked L3, [SPOILER]though, I'm sure a lot of people online will complain about her wanting equality. As with everything these days, some will scream SJW and how they're pushing agendas (I love how everything is an agenda these days). To me, it makes perfect sense. She's a robot, in a society where robots are property. Not even second class citizens. Why wouldn't some of these sentient machines begin to object to their treatment?[/SPOILER]

    Thought the [SPOILER]Maul cameo[/SPOILER] was fine. Though, I suspect it'll confuse the viewers who've never seen [SPOILER]The Clone Wars or Rebels.[/SPOILER]
    Last edited by jon-el87; 05-23-2018 at 01:46 PM.

  8. #68
    Not us united costas22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Posts
    76,721
    It was better than I thought it would be. And while there are a few times where the movie's tone seems to contradict itself a bit, it certainly doesn't feel like a movie that was reshot by 80%. And credit to that has to go to Ron Howard who was experienced enought to give Solo a Star Wars feel, keep the needless comedy at a minimum and work around any problems that the previous directors might have caused.

    To be honest, I don't think the story of the movie is the strongest point. It's very basic in the first half and in the second half it tries to be a bit too unpredictable for its own good. This movie is at its strongest when it focuses on Han and the steps he takes to become the man he knew. His meeting with Chewie, his dealings with Lando, the Kessel run, the acquiring of the Falcon... All of them were very well executed and more or less how we imagined these events happening.

    Alden Ehrenreich did a very good job, I thought. He adopted some of Harrison's mannerisms, but at no point did it feel like he was imitating Ford's version of Han Solo. And it would have been very easy for him to go down that road. All in all, I was very impressed with how he handled the task he was given.

    Woody Harrelson was one of the few reasons why I was looking forward to this movie and he didn't disappoint. I was glad to see he was part of the movie from start to finish, unlike the way they tricked people into thinking Forrest Whitaker had a big role in Rogue One.

    Donald Glover was very good as Lando. Unlike Alden, he didn't have huge shoes to feel because Lando isn't as legendary a character as Han is. Glover was so good that at times you could hear Billy Dee Williams' cadence in his voice. My only gripe would be that the movie didn't exactly establish a friendship between Lando and Han. Not the kind that would lead Han to seek Lando's help in ESB, anyway. Maybe they will meet each other again in a possible sequel, but supposedly Han taking the Falcon is the last time they meet before Empire.

    Qi'ra didn't exactly intrigue me for most of the movie. She felt like a typical love interest who started switching allegiances a bit too confusingly towards the end. However, the [SPOILER]Darth Maul cameo explained her actions and made me more interested in her. And quite frankly, this is the big news of this movie. Maul's appearance and his allegiance with Qi'ra leaves the window open for a sequel. I don't follow the expanded universe, so seeing Maul was quite the shocker for me. I have to read up on how he survived. [/SPOILER]

    As a long time Smallville fan, I was pleased to see that [SPOILER]Sam Witwer[/SPOILER] had a role in this movie.

    L3 was basically the female equivalent of K2SO. I didn't mind her, but I can't say I was sad to see her go.

    Not a bad month for Paul Bettany. Starring in an Avengers and a Star Wars movie.

    The first Star Wars movie without the legendary droids, although Anthony Daniels continues his streak of appearing in every Star Wars movie.

    P.S. I thought it was just an issue in my theater, but apparently other people also noticed that the lighting of the movie was too dark during its first half. Not sure why, but you can barely make out Chewie in his first scene.

    6.5/10
    Last edited by costas22; 05-24-2018 at 11:14 PM.

  9. #69
    Forum Regular lonewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    178
    I liked most of the movie but one thing bothered me, [SPOILER] unless you watched The Clone Wars tv series you will not know how Maul is alive. Why he be in a future movie? I hope not. [/SPOILER]

  10. #70
    Forum Regular lonewriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by costas22 View Post
    It was better than I thought it would be. And while there are a few times where the movie's tone seems to contradict itself a bit, it certainly doesn't feel like a movie that was reshot by 80%. And credit to that has to go to Ron Howard who was experienced enought to give Solo a Star Wars feel, keep the needless comedy at a minimum and work around any problems that the previous directors might have caused.

    To be honest, I don't think the story of the movie is the strongest point. It's very basic in the first half and in the second half it tries to be a bit too unpredictable for its own good. This movie is at its strongest when it focuses on Han and the steps he takes to become the man he knew. His meeting with Chewie, his dealings with Lando, the Kessel run, the acquiring of the Falcon... All of them were very well executed and more or less how we imagined these events happening.

    Alden Ehrenreich did a very good job, I thought. He adopted some of Harrison's mannerisms, but at no point did it feel like he was imitating Ford's version of Han Solo. And it would have been very easy for him to go down that road. All in all, I was very impressed with how he handled the task he was given.

    Woody Harrelson was one of the few reasons why I was looking forward to this movie and he didn't disappoint. I was glad to see he was part of the movie from start to finish, unlike the way they tricked people into thinking Forrest Whitaker had a big role in Rogue One.

    Donald Glover was very good as Lando. Unlike Alden, he didn't have huge shoes to feel because Lando isn't as legendary a character as Han is. Glover was so good that at times you could hear Billy Dee Williams' cadence in his voice. My only gripe would be that the movie didn't exactly establish a friendship between Lando and Han. Not the kind that would lead Han to seek Lando's help in ESB, anyway. Maybe they will meet each other again in a possible sequel, but supposedly Han taking the Falcon is the last time they meet before Empire.

    Qi'ra didn't exactly intrigue me for most of the movie. She felt like a typical love interest who started switching allegiances a bit too confusingly towards the end. However, the [SPOILER]Darth Maul cameo explained her actions and made me more interested in her. And quite frankly, this is the big news of this movie. Maul's appearance and his allegiance with Qi'ra leaves the window open for a sequel. I don't follow the expanded universe, so seeing Maul was quite the shocker for me. I have to read up on how he survived. [/SPOILER]

    As a long time Smallville fan, I was pleased to see that [SPOILER]Sam Witwer[/SPOILER] had a role in this movie.

    L3 was basically the female equivalent of K2SO. I didn't mind her, but I can't say I was sad to see her go.

    Not a bad month for Paul Bettany. Starring in an Avengers and a Star Wars movie.

    The first Star Wars movie without the legendary droids, although Anthony Daniels continues his streak of appearing in every Star Wars movie.

    P.S. I thought it was just an issue in my theater, but apparently other people also noticed that the lighting of the movie was too dark during its first half. Not sure why, but you can barely make out Chewie in his first scene.

    6.5/10
    Actually, [SPOILER] Maul survival is not from any expanded universe but from the tv series, Star Wars The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels. Clone Wars is on Netflix. [/SPOILER]

  11. #71
    Forum Regular AsteroidMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 17
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    358
    I said I felt they would pull this off earlier, and they did. IMO the movie was a good, solid, fun experience that was enjoyable but it wasn't excellent or mind-blowing spectacular.

    First and foremost, I know lots of people were worried about Alden Ehrenreich's performance as Han but he actually did a good job with the role, and I definitely wasn't worried about Donald Glover as Lando. I actually closed my eyes for a second and listened to him speak and thought, yep that's exactly how a younger Lando would sound. In fact none of the actor performances were bad, they all did fine. Paul Bettany was also in the film but I just kept hearing Vision every time he spoke LOL

    The action sequences were enjoyable, but especially the [SPOILER]Kessel Run. I kinda already guessed that the Run would be shown in the movie based on clips from the trailers but actually seeing it was fantastic, although I think it might be too late to point out that parsecs is a unit of distance not time. I also noticed bits of the soundtrack from A New Hope playing when the Star Destroyer showed up, and the music from the asteroid field in Empire Strikes Back. That actually made me feel really cheery on the inside.[/SPOILER]

    But there were some flaws in the movie. A couple of things did feel telegraphed to the point of predictability. There were also some things they could've addressed or fleshed out but didn't. [SPOILER]Specifically Han's days at the Academy, where he signs up and the next thing we know he's on Carida in some battle. He mentioned getting kicked out of the Academy for "having a mind of my own," but we never actually saw him at the Academy.[/SPOILER] Some of the humor also felt a bit flat at times.

    Lots of fan service and references to other Star Wars lore.

    The biggest surprise of the movie to me was [SPOILER]that scene at the end with Qi'ra talking to someone and it's Darth Maul. Did not expect that and I liked how they included a bit of the "Duel of the Fates" music in when he activated his lightsaber.[/SPOILER] Nice touch there.

    I'd give this a 7.5/10. For those who say the film feels average or underwhelming, I get that but there's really nothing to hate in this film. They definitely could've done some more but what we got is pretty satisfying and entertaining.

    Also, the movie's making lower numbers than the other SW films but I blame that on releasing this in May, right when the summer movie rush is getting started and just one week after Deadpool 2 came out. Infinity War still being out in theaters isn't helping it, either.

  12. #72
    Pirate King Backward Galaxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    The Danger Zone
    Posts
    11,011
    I thought it was interesting that they actually found a way to explain the parsecs thing so that it makes sense. By having Han take a suicidal shortcut, completing the Kessel run in a number of parsecs, instead of a time measurement, is quite the accomplishment. I don't think they needed to address that, but they did it in a pretty convincing way.

    I was mildly entertained. It's not a classic. It's not a bad film. It's... fine... I guess. Yeah. I'll go with that. It's fine.
    Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 05-29-2018 at 07:35 AM.

  13. #73
    Not us united costas22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Posts
    76,721
    There were different factors in Solo underperfoming on its opening weekend and most of them have been mentioned. This has truly been one of the most competitive months in Box Office history. The fact that Infinity War is in its 5th week doesn't mean it still doesn generate a lot of money. Deadpool 2 came out just one week before Solo and given its momentum, it was always going to gross 40-50 million the following week.

    At the same time, it's hard not to blame Disney for the way they've handled this movie's promotion. It was basically non-existant until 3 months ag and that didn't help matters. Nor did the fact that this movie came out just 5 months after the last Star Wars movie and all the negative publicity that followed TLJ. I never understood why Solo was set for a May release date in the first place. All of Disney's Star Wars movies have come out in December, which gives the audience a 12-month breather between films. Maybe Disney wanted to put their entire emphasis behind the Mary Poppins remake ahead of December 2018...

    The big question now is what happens with a possible sequel. Solo does stand out on its own, but it did leave a storyline thread loose so that a sequel can be made. Will its box office performance put a lid on those plans? It will still make a lot of money (700-800 million?), but we also have to take into account that the extensive reshoots have made it the most expensive Star Wars of all time. So it's hard to tell what constitutes success for Disney in this situation.

    Maybe they will nix a sequel but decide to continue Qira's storyline in one of their new Star Wars tv shows or in the Boba Fett movie.

  14. #74
    Custom Title jon-el87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,469
    Quote Originally Posted by costas22 View Post
    I never understood why Solo was set for a May release date in the first place.
    A New Hope: released May 25, 1977

    Solo: released May 25, 2018.

  15. #75
    The New Legacy!!! darkphoenix21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    Trying to rise above!
    Posts
    88,176
    Quote Originally Posted by jon-el87 View Post
    A New Hope: released May 25, 1977

    Solo: released May 25, 2018.
    Regardless, they should have known better. The movie landscape today is far different than it was in 1977.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •