• The Chronicles of Martha and Jonathan

Author: phoenixnz
    Series title: The Chronicles of Martha and Jonathan
    Fandom: Smallville
    Rating: G
    Pairing: Jonathan and Martha Kent
    Disclaimer: Don't own, yada yada
    Genre: Romance

Summary: The lives of Jonathan and Martha from their first date to the Smallville finale.

a/n: I've had this story on my mind for some time, ever since something Martha said in season nine, actually. I thought this might make a good little series. So without further ado, here's the first story.

Martha to Clark (Nicodemus):

Did I ever tell you about the first time I ever saw him?
    He came to Metropolis U. to take a finance course and he was sitting by a fountain all denim and flannel eating an apple. And I asked to borrow his notes. He didn't know that I was the note-taker for the class.
    He was so cute. So I asked him for his notes and he just handed over his notebook without even asking my name and I said, "How can you be so sure I'll bring it back?" And he said, "I prefer to believe in people."
    And I remember looking at him, completely embarrassed because I was thinking the dumbest thing. I was thinking God, I hope he marries me.

Martha to Clark (Hostage):

Your father and I had our first date in this barn. I made a surprise picnic, but his truck broke down So, we ate it in here.

First Date

Martha dressed carefully for the day, stopping to check her reflection in her bedroom mirror. Her red hair had been brushed until it shone and her jeans were neat and clean.

Her hands were shaking, yet she didn’t think she should be nervous. It was just a date. Okay, so it was her first date with the cute boy from her finance class. Well, he wasn’t a boy, since he was twenty, but oh boy, when she looked at him, she felt butterflies in her stomach. It was something a friend had told her once and she hadn’t believed it until she’d seen the young man sitting by the fountain eating an apple.

As soon as all the girls in the class had caught sight of the tall blond from a small town in Kansas, they’d all practically swooned. Did girls really do that now? Martha thought with a frown. That, at least she figured, was something that happened to girls in the nineteenth century, not Metropolis, Kansas in 1981.

She remembered a discussion her mother had been having with a group of friends in her Book Club. They’d been talking about Gone With the Wind and the outlandish costumes the southern girls had been forced to wear. Huge crinoline dresses with tight bodices worn over corsets strapped so tight they probably cracked a rib if they tried to breathe. Which was why they swooned, apparently. The discussion had turned to underwear and how the fashions had changed and Martha had been so embarrassed by the discussion she had slunk away.

Even her father had just shaken his head when he realised what the discussion was. Parents were so embarrassing sometimes, Martha thought.

As she went downstairs, grabbing the keys of her mother’s car, her father intercepted her.

“Going out?” he asked.

She nodded.

“With a boy?”

She frowned at him. She was old enough to date whoever she wanted and what business was it of his if she was going out with a boy from Smallville.

“Yes Daddy,” she said, instead of sniffing and reminding him she was old enough to do what she wanted.

“Well, make sure you’re back by ten,” he told her. She suppressed the urge to roll her eyes. She was an adult and he still made her follow a curfew.

Humming quietly to herself as she reversed the car out of the garage and drove along the tree-lined avenue, she found herself thinking about the handsome blond man and the day they’d met. Officially anyway.

There he was sitting by the fountain at Met U, in a red-checked flannel shirt and well-worn jeans nonchalantly eating an apple. She’d had no idea how to approach him, then happened to glance at his book bag. It was a canvas knapsack. Nothing too flashy. The kind she’d begged her mother to let her get when she’d started college, not wanting to appear pretentious. After all, she was the daughter of a lawyer and while they weren’t as wealthy as the Luthors, they were still fairly well-off.

Martha approached the man.

“Hi, you’re in Finance 301, right?” she said.

He looked up and smiled at her.

“Yes, yes I am.”

She chewed nervously on her lip. Martha wasn’t shy by any means, but this man completely took her breath away and made her forget the carefully prepared speech she’d just now made up.

“Uh, I was wondering. Could I borrow your notes?”

God, please don’t let him find out I’m the notetaker for the class. I’d never hear the end of it from Josie.

He just smiled at her, then dug in his bag for his notebook, handing it over without a murmur. God, he was so cute, she thought with a tiny shiver.

“How do you know I’ll bring them back?” she asked with a teasing little smile.

He just smiled. “I prefer to believe in people.”

Martha felt the oddest feeling and the strangest thought popped into her brain.

“God, I hope he marries me,” she murmured.

He frowned at her. “Pardon?”

She shook her head. “Sorry, just having one of those days.”

“I know all about those,” he smiled. “I’m Jonathan.”

“Martha.”

“Would you like to join me, Martha?” he said, clearly appreciating what he saw.

“Yes,” she said with a laugh. “Yes I would.”

Jonathan was just about to head out the door when his father called him back.

“Son, make sure you get those fences down in the south pasture.”

“Daaad!” he whined.

“Jonathan, this is a farm and we all work around here.”

“But …”

He had a date. His first date. With the most beautiful girl on the Met U campus. Not that his father cared about that. Probably.

“Dad, I’ll do my chores later,” he told his father.

Hiram sighed and shrugged. “Just make sure you get them done,” he said.

There were times when Jonathan wished he’d taken the scholarship to Met U when he’d had the chance, but his father had needed him on the farm and he’d let duty guide him.

It wasn’t that he didn’t like farming. It was in his blood, so to speak, but he had always thought his life was more than the farm.

Still, Martha didn’t seem to mind. Unlike some girls, he thought, who could be snobs when it came to finding out what he did for a living. Or where he came from.

He found himself thinking about the beautiful redhead. He’d noticed her in the finance class he’d gone to. How could he not? With her striking auburn locks and her high cheekbones, she had a face that would have graced the covers of any fashion magazine.

Knowing he had to appease his father to at least a small extent, Jonathan did some of his chores before returning to the house to shower. He didn’t want to screw this up. Martha was the first girl he’d liked since he’d dated Nell Potter in high school and while Nell was used to the farm boys, Martha was a city girl, Metropolis born and bred. Not that she seemed to mind the down home country boy look he had. Someone had once commented that he looked a lot like one of the boys on that tv show that his dad didn’t know he watched sometimes with Ethan and Jack. Hiram probably figured he’d get himself into trouble with the law like those two good ol’ boys.

He found himself humming the theme song as he dressed in front of the mirror in his bedroom.

Just the good ol’ boys
    Never meanin’ no harm
    Beats all you never saw
    Been in the trouble with the law
    Since the day they was born

“What’s that you’re humming to, Jonathan?” his mom said, pausing in the doorway of his bedroom with an armful of laundry.

“Um, nothing Mom,” he said, reddening at being caught out.

“Uh huh. Sounds kinda familiar to me. You know your dad doesn’t like that show.”

“Don’t see no harm in it,” he said.

“Well, maybe so, but just be sure you only watch it at Ethan’s or Jack’s,” she said, with a knowing smile. She looked him over. Jonathan had decided to wear a blue denim shirt and his best blue jeans. “You’re looking very handsome today, sweetheart. Got big plans?”

“Uh, yeah, Mom. I have a date.”

“Not with Nell?” she asked, frowning. Jonathan got the impression she didn’t really like Nell, but then his mother was kind of particular about the girls Jonathan dated. She never said anything, but Jonathan had heard that Nell had been seeing other guys while they were going together. Not that Nell was a tease or anything, but she still had a reputation which his mother didn’t like.

“So is she nice?” Jessica asked.

“Beautiful Mom. She’s really beautiful, and sweet. Her dad’s a lawyer in the city.”

His mother raised an eyebrow. “A city girl?”

He got the feeling she thought Martha might be a snob.

“She’s not like that Mom. She’s not like that at all. The day we met, we just talked for hours. I felt like I could tell her anything.”

“Well, I’m sure you’ll have a good time. Your father and I have to go to the city for some parts for the tractor. We thought we might make a night of it. Make sure you …”

“Do my chores. I know Mom.”

She smiled. “You’re a good boy, Jonathan. This girl must be someone very special if she’s already putting a smile on your face.”

He blushed. “Thanks Mom. I love you.”

“I love you too, honey.” She heaved the pile of laundry in her arms and carried on downstairs.
    Jonathan finished dressing, checking his reflection once more.

“Looking good, Mr Kent,” he said, drawing the last word out in an urban drawl, the way a character did on a sitcom he’d been watching.

By the time he was ready, his parents were getting ready for their trip to the city.

“Drive carefully, Dad,” Jonathan said.

“Have fun on your date, but don’t go trying to impress this girl with your shenanigans like you got up to with young Jack. Don’t think I don’t know about that little trip to Chickasaw County.”

“Daaad!” Jonathan whined and his father laughed.

“Let me give you a piece of advice, son. Girls … sorry,” he added with a look at Jessica, “women like to be treated nice but you don’t need to go showing off for them. If this one’s special, she won’t care how you look or what you do. She’ll like you for yourself, not because you go preening and …” He sniffed, wrinkling his nose a little, then went on. “Go putting on a whole bottle of cologne.”

Jonathan sniffed, realising his father was right. Rather than the subtle scent of pine, he smelled like he’d bathed in it.

“I’ll go wash it off,” he said.

“Have a good time, son.”

Martha was feeling even more nervous by the time she found the gate to the Kent farm. She’d almost gotten lost a few times on the way and had had to ask a couple of locals. One girl shot her an odd look, almost like disdain when she realised Martha was an outsider.

Jonathan was on the porch, clearly feeling anxious as he looked up as soon as he heard the car. Martha stopped just beside the old truck in the driveway and got out.

“Martha,” he grinned. “You’re late.”

“I know. I got a little lost.”

He came down the steps and hugged her, then realised that probably wasn’t the most appropriate thing to do as he stepped back. Martha sighed softly at that brief contact, loving the warmth of his arms, feeling the strength in those muscles. Jonathan was almost a foot taller than her and she seemed to fit neatly in the circle of his arms.

“Um, so I thought you might like to take a drive, see Smallville. Probably best we not do it in that car of yours. The roads can be a little rough around here.”

She nodded. That sounded like a good idea, but she had planned some of this date herself.

“Actually, I had an idea,” she said, going to the car and picking up a basket from the back. “I thought we could have a picnic. It’s such a beautiful day.”

He grinned that boyish grin that had attracted her from the start.

“That sounds wonderful, Martha. I know just the place.”

She waited as he went inside to grab the keys to his truck and came back out again, the keys jangling in his hand. He held open the door to the passenger side of the truck and waited, taking the basket from her and putting it in the back. Martha laughed as he ushered her in the truck with a flourish then ran around to the driver’s side.

She watched as he turned the key in the ignition, to be met with a ‘clunk’ as the engine refused to turn over. He tried again and the same sound greeted him. Martha could see him reddening, clearly thinking this was not making the greatest impression for their first date.

Jonathan got out and opened the hood, peering into the engine.

Twenty minutes later he was still tinkering, his hands were dirty and he had a grease mark on his forehead as well as a matching one on his shirt. He looked so embarrassed and she couldn’t help laughing.

“I’m sorry. I don’t know why it’s not working,” he said.

She wanted to offer to take the car instead, but didn’t. After all, Jonathan had asked her on this date and he clearly had wanted to take care of everything. Besides, she thought, if the roads were really that rough, her mother would kill her if she damaged the car.

So Martha suggested they have their picnic in the barn. Jonathan got a rug from the house and they sat on the floor, surrounded by bales of hay and the smell of animals as they ate the food she’d so carefully prepared, talking and laughing.

It was the best first date either of them had ever had.

Last edited by phoenixnz; 08-22-2015, 02:39 PM.

Awww Leanne those two are so cute! So Johnathon looks like one of those good 'ol boys huh? I'll be looking forward to more of this mate😄

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed67
      Awww Leanne those two are so cute! So Johnathon looks like one of those good 'ol boys huh? I'll be looking forward to more of this mate
      I couldn't help the little reference to the show. Thanks Wendy. I hope to have more cute stories about them soon. Meantime, check out the banner I just asked Carol to do.

Comment

That's a cool banner! Love John in the red tee.

Comment

a/n: I know in canon Jonathan's father died in 1980, but I changed things a little.

The Fight

Martha was getting ready for her date with Jonathan when her mother called up the stairs.

“Martha? Jonathan’s here.”

She gasped. He was early. Way too early. She quickly finished her make-up, adding a dash of lipstick, knowing it wasn’t enough but it would have to do. Jonathan had told her she looked gorgeous without make-up and she believed him.
          Martha wasn’t as confident as she let people believe. When she’d been in her early teens, she had been bullied in high school. Mostly for her red hair. Teenagers could be so shallow, she sighed.

There had been one girl whose parents had been deeply religious. They were Catholic, and devout with it. So devout in fact that the girl had come up to her one day and told her that red hair was the sign of the devil.

Martha had refused to let the taunts bother her, on the surface at least. She certainly didn’t go to her father and tell him she was being teased for her red hair, knowing he would just tell her to ignore it.

Whoever said: ‘Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me’ was never called any horrible names, like Ginger, or Devil Child, Martha thought.

Jonathan, however, never treated her like that. When they’d first started dating, he’d commented about the way her hair gleamed like a sunset. He loved to run his fingers through it as they curled up together, on the couch at the farm, or in the truck as they watched the sunset off Make-out Point. It wasn’t really called that, of course, but the local teenagers did tend to hang out there.

Martha made sure her hair gleamed and was neatly brushed, then straightened her blouse before leaving the bedroom. Jonathan was talking to her mother in the kitchen. He lifted his head when she came in and smiled, but the smile didn’t quite reach his eyes. Something was wrong, she thought.

He clearly didn’t want Mary to know anything was wrong, but Martha could see he was upset. He had a pinched look to his face and sadness in his eyes. She took his hand and squeezed it, letting him know that she understood.

“Now don’t have her out too late, Jonathan,” Mary was saying. “You know her father worries.”

He nodded. “Yeah, I know.”

Martha rolled her eyes behind her mother’s back and Jonathan snickered.

“Don’t roll your eyes at me, young lady,” Mary admonished. Martha raised her eyebrows and made a face at Jonathan.

“It’s a gift,” he said, correctly interpreting her thoughts. “My mom’s the same.”

“And that’s quite enough cheek from you, young man,” her mother laughed, pretending to cuff him. “Have fun you two.”

Martha giggled as they left the house.

“You’d think we were five instead of grown adults,” she laughed.

“Yeah, my mom says I’ll always be her baby, no matter how old I get.”

“I love your mom,” Martha replied as Jonathan held the door of the truck open for her so she could climb in.

She’d had dinner with Jonathan and his parents a couple of weeks ago. Hiram Kent had asked her all sorts of questions about life in the city and her father’s job as a lawyer. She had the impression he didn’t like the city much and thought people in the city looked down on those in the country. Martha knew people like that, but she wasn’t one of them.

She liked Jessica, but Hiram was a lot like her father. Kind of gruff and a little closed off.

Jonathan was quiet as he drove through the streets. He knew she’d noticed he was upset, but he didn’t want to talk about it. Not just yet.

He’d had a fight with his dad. It had been a real doozy as well. Hiram was a stubborn man and Jonathan was constantly reminded of that stubbornness. His mother often said he was just as stubborn and pig-headed as his father.
          It had started a couple of weeks ago, after Martha had come to have dinner with his folks. His father had come out to the barn where Jonathan had been doing the last of his chores for the night.

“Martha seems like a well put-together young lady,” Hiram said.

“She is,” Jonathan confirmed.

“I must say, though, I have to wonder why she comes here.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, she’s a city girl.”

“So?”

He knew Martha didn’t care about the so-called divide between city people and country people.

“Well, she would find it rather isolating here, don’t you think?”

“That’s her decision to make. And we care about each other.”

“I don’t think you should see her anymore, son.”

Jonathan frowned at his father.

“What? Why?”

“Because she doesn’t belong here.”

Jonathan studied his father for a long moment. He suddenly knew what this was about.

“You’re afraid,” he said.

“Pardon?”

“You’re afraid that I’m gonna go running off to the city to be with Martha and leave the farm. That’s it, isn’t it?”

“Why on Earth would you think I’d have such a ridiculous idea as that?”

“Because it’s true. I gave up a chance at a scholarship, playing with the Metropolis Sharks, just to stay here.”

“The farm needed you.”

Jonathan huffed. “It’s always about the farm. What about what I want, Dad? You know, for the first time, ever since I met Martha, I’m actually happy. Why can’t you let me have what I want?”

“Because Martha doesn’t belong here. She belongs in that there city, not down with the common folk like us.”

“You and her father should get together,” Jonathan muttered. “He doesn’t think I’m good enough for his daughter either.”

“I never said you were not good enough for her.”

“That’s what you’re implying,” Jonathan said angrily, turning his back on his father.

He’d refused to talk to his father ever since. Hiram had tried again tonight to talk but Jonathan didn’t want anything to do with it. His mother had tried to get them to talk to each other but again Jonathan refused, knowing it would just cause another argument.

It was true that he’d given up a chance at college to stay on the farm. His father needed him. Sure, sometimes he resented it, but it had been his choice and he had made it on his own.

He and his father had always had their battles. The worst had been when Jonathan had gone and bought a motorcycle, which his father had strenuously objected to, talking about how unsafe they were. His father had been in his late thirties when Jonathan was born and set in his ways.

Jonathan swore when he had a son he would never force his kid to stay on the farm if they wanted to do something else.

“Jonathan?” Martha asked as they sat together at the lookout. “What’s wrong?”

He looked at her, reaching for her hand across the seat of the truck. He squeezed it gently.

“I had a fight with my dad.”

“What was it about?”

“It doesn’t matter. I just … “

He bit his lip. Ever since the fight he couldn’t help but wonder. What was she doing with him? They were from two different worlds. How could they ever make this work?

“I think he was afraid that I would just leave the farm and not come back.”

“But Smallville’s your home,” Martha said quietly.

“So are you,” he replied. It was as close as he could come to telling her how he felt about her. He’d loved her from the moment he set eyes on her, remembering the way her hair seemed to create a glow around her. Like a halo. Almost angelic.

She was so beautiful. He was just a farm kid from the sticks. How could he ever compete with these big city guys who were so much more sophisticated than he was?

“Jonathan, what is this really all about?”

“He wants me to stop seeing you.”

“That’s not going to happen,” she smiled.

“Why? I mean, Martha, you could do so much better than me.”

“I don’t want anyone else,” she told him. “I just want you.”

“Why?” he asked again.

“Because I like the way I feel when I’m with you. Jonathan, it doesn’t matter what your father thinks. Or what my father thinks. They can’t tell us how to live our lives.”

He nodded. She was right. No one could tell them how to feel or how to live. Ultimately it was their choice.

Comforted by her loving presence, Jonathan sat, his arm around her as they watched the sunset. Later they would go to an inexpensive restaurant for dinner, but for now he just wanted to enjoy her company.

It wasn’t too late by the time he took her home. Mary answered the door, looking pale and worried.

“There you are. Your father’s been out looking for you.”

Martha frowned at her mother. “Why? I’m not past curfew.”

“Jonathan’s mother called here, looking for him.” Her eyes filled with tears. Jonathan frowned at her.

“What’s wrong?”

“Your father passed away this evening,” she said, sounding as if she was going to cry. “He had a heart attack and collapsed on the farm. They couldn’t revive him.”

Jonathan looked at Martha, who immediately wrapped him in a loving embrace.

The funeral was horrible. Martha held his hand through the entire service. His mother cried. All he could think about was that the last words he and his father had exchanged had been in anger. Guilt sat like a ball of lead in his stomach.

“He knew you loved him,” Jessica told him as they returned to the farm.

“I’m sorry Mom,” he said, hugging her. “I’m so sorry.”

“Jonathan, your father was stubborn. You get that from him. This is not your fault. He was told to slow down but he would never listen. This is not because of you, you hear me?”

He heard her, but the guilt still tore him up anyway.

Comment

Oh Leanne that was so sad! Poor Johnathon thinking he's not good enough for Martha and having to battle his father as well. It's hard when the parents don't approve of the person you love. Hey at least Martha would never have copped 'Ranga' as a nickname.......Oh and the way Johnathon described her hair as halo like, yeah stick that Miss religious fanatic!

Comment

Oh Leanne that was so sad! Poor Johnathon thinking he's not good enough for Martha and having to battle his father as well. It's hard when the parents don't approve of the person you love. Hey at least Martha would never have copped 'Ranga' as a nickname.......Oh and the way Johnathon described her hair as halo like, yeah stick that Miss religious fanatic!
              The not thinking he's good enough comes into play in the next one too Wendy. I think some people can look wonderful with red hair. I've never seen a problem with it. Annette is certainly beautiful with red hair.

Comment

Season 6: Promise

Clark: How did you know Dad was the one? How'd you know he felt the same way?

Martha: I think when you're young, like you are, like we were... nothing is that simple.

Clark: You know, I can't help but wonder... ..if all those things I told myself -- that knowing the truth about me would be too much for Lana to handle, if she knew my secret she'd be in danger - what if I just made up all those excuses because I was scared?

Martha: Then you'd be just like the rest of us.

Clark: What do you mean?

Martha: Your father and I almost didn't get married. I broke it off after a year. We had a horrible argument, and I thought I'd never see him again. You know, we came from such different worlds. Our families, the paths we were on -- everything was stacked against us.

Clark: Then why'd you get back together?

Martha: Because I... I couldn't stop thinking about him.

Clark: What if I take that risk... and Lana really is happy with Lex?

Martha: All I can tell you Clark is that, if I hadn't taken that chance, I would have lost everything that's ever meant something to me.

Break-up

Jonathan had taken her out for dinner. They’d just celebrated their one-year anniversary and he’d saved up for something special. He’d even dressed up in a suit he usually only wore for Sunday best but Martha loved him for it.

She hadn’t expected him to take her to a fancy restaurant. The waiter spoke French, which Jonathan didn’t understand. He could feel himself reddening as he became more and more embarrassed. Martha had studied a little French, she’d told him. Had even begged her father to have a year abroad before college, but he had never let her go.

Jonathan was out of his depth in the restaurant. He was used to diners and the college cafeteria, not restaurants where the chef had studied at the Cordon Bleu. Yet he had wanted to do something which he thought would impress her.

Dinner was uncomfortable, to say the least.

When he finally took her home, she kissed him goodnight as she normally did, but he couldn’t help thinking that he had failed a test in some way. What was he doing, he thought as he drove back to Smallville. He was trying to impress a girl he never really had a hope of impressing.

He remembered something his father had said. Martha was a city girl. She belonged with people of class and breeding, not a country hick.

Not for the first time he wished he had stayed in Metropolis instead of sacrificing his own dreams for the farm. He tried not to resent his father for needing him, because he had loved Hiram. He still remembered when he was a kid his father taking him out on fishing trips. Just the guys, Dad had said. They’d put up with gnats and mosquitoes and sometimes come home with nothing to show for it, but catching fish wasn’t really the point of fishing, his father had told him. It was really about the two of them spending time together.

One day he hoped to have a son of his own who he could take out fishing. He still swore black and blue that he was never going to make his son sacrifice his own dreams. Sure, the farm had been in the family for three generations, but he would never force his children to stay. Not if it wasn’t what they wanted.

He hadn’t talked about having a family with Martha but he really couldn’t see anyone else in his future. Still, why did he get the feeling that she wasn’t happy? He’d tried everything he could to fit in to her world. To show her that he wasn’t just some country hick.

It kept plaguing him, until one day, finally, he couldn’t keep his fears in any longer, blurting that he wondered what she saw in him, since he wasn’t good enough for her.

Martha stared at him in surprise and from what he could tell, more than a little anger.

“How can you say that?” she said.

“Well, it’s true isn’t it? You’re better off with some guy who plans on being a lawyer than with me. I’ll never fit in to your world.”

“What makes you think I want you to fit into my world?”

“It’s not like you’ll ever fit in to mine!” he said, regretting the words as soon as he spoke them. He hadn’t meant that. He hadn’t!

“Jonathan Kent! Do you really see me as being that shallow?” she accused.

He reddened. “No, I … I just … I don’t know what I was trying to say.”

“Well, maybe we should stop seeing each other.”

“You want to break up?” he asked, stunned.

“If you think I could ever be the kind of person who would look down my nose at you for being a farmer then maybe we should.”

In tears, she got out of the truck and ran into her father’s house. Jonathan wanted to go after her but realised he would probably make matters worse.

When he got home, his mother was in the kitchen, making herself some hot cocoa.

“Hi sweetie. I figured you’d be much later than this.” She turned and saw his face. “Jonathan? What happened?”

“She broke up with me,” he said miserably.

“Why?” She poured another cup of cocoa for him and sat him down at the table. It was heavy, constructed from oak. His father had told him the wood had come from an old oak tree which had grown on the property, but Jonathan hadn’t been sure what to believe. His father had always been telling stories.

“We had a huge fight. I made a mess of things, Mom. She thinks I don’t think she could ever fit in here.”

“Oh sweetheart, I’m sorry.”

“I didn’t mean it like that, Mom. I … I love her. I just don’t think I’ll ever be good enough for her.”

Jessica Kent looked sympathetically at her son.

“Jonathan, I may not know Martha very well, but if there is one thing I do know, it’s how happy you’ve been since you’ve been dating her. She is one very special young woman to put a smile on that face.”

He sighed. “How do I … I mean, what if she never wants to see me again?”

“If she loves you, she will. I promise. Just give yourself some time.”
                oo0oo
                Martha cried in her mother’s arms.

“I don’t even know why he …”

“Sweetie, maybe he isn’t the boy for you.”

“He’s not a boy, Mom,” she protested. “And what do you mean he isn’t the boy for me? I don’t care that he’s a farmer’s son. There’s nothing wrong with that.”

“But your father …”

“My father wants me to become a lawyer and join the firm. I’m tired of him trying to decide my life for me.”

“He just wants what’s best for you. And if this boy, sorry young man, thinks he’s not good enough for you, well, perhaps he might not be.”

Martha huffed and shook her head. Her mother didn’t understand, but then she came from a generation which didn’t really question things. Mary did what her mother did, which was marry a man who her father approved of, while she stayed home and looked after the house.

Sure, her father was at least not so conservative in that he didn’t think she should settle down with a good man, have babies and be ‘domestic’. At least he wanted a career for her, but Martha had never really wanted to be a lawyer.

Her father was, of course, pleased that she’d broken up with Jonathan. He didn’t think a farmer was good enough for her. It was one of the few things they fought about.

She remembered when she was a little girl, when her father wasn’t working he spent time with her, reading to her, helping her with her maths homework. They’d been so close when she was a child. She wished she could be that close to him again.

The weeks passed and Jonathan didn’t call. Martha would pick up the phone and start to dial his number before she put the phone down again, thinking after that fight she wouldn’t blame him if he didn’t want to see her again. She’d been rather harsh with him.

She tried to move on. Even accepted a date with another student at Met U. He took her out to the same French restaurant that had pretty much caused the blow-up with Jonathan. Her date spoke French and was attentive. He also talked far too much about his parents. His mother was an accountant and his father was a lawyer with a corporate firm. He would fit neatly into her world.

She was bored out of her mind.

Jonathan talked about football, which she barely tolerated, and farming futures and she would listen eagerly. He talked about television shows he watched and books he read and she was enchanted. Jonathan might not be the most worldly person, but he more than made up for it in passion and charm and sweetness. He would listen when she talked, hold her hand and make her feel like they were the only people in the world.

God, she missed him.

She didn’t know what made her go to the fair in Granville but a couple of girls in her class had invited her and she didn’t have anything better to do.

The trio walked around the stalls and tried out some of the games. It was as Martha was standing in line for cotton candy that she felt it. Like something had shifted in the air. She turned around and there he was with a brunette. She was clinging to him like she was afraid he would run away, but he seemed to be trying to anyway.

Their eyes met and locked. He looked the same as she felt. The longing was in his eyes. He missed her as much as she missed him.

Martha couldn’t hold back the tears. She stepped out of the line and began walking away, not wanting him to see her cry. She heard the brunette call his name but kept on going.

Just when she thought she could run and hide, he caught her arm.

“Martha …”

She turned and looked up at him, tears streaking her face. He pulled her into his arms and kissed her.

“Martha, I love you. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

“Jonathan, I love you too.”

He pulled her into a secluded spot and pulled a clean, folded and neatly pressed handkerchief from his pocket, unfolding it to dry her tears. He kissed her gently.

“Martha, I … about our fight …”

She shook her head. “It doesn’t matter,” she said.

“I tried,” he said. “I would pick up the phone to call you and put it down again. I wrote about a hundred letters that I never sent. Martha …”

“Me too,” she said. “I tried to forget you, but I couldn’t. I couldn’t stop thinking about you. What you were doing. I’d look at the sunrise and think about you out in the fields, taking in the cows for milking.”

“Martha, I know I’m an idiot for what I said. I don’t think you’re shallow. I just …”

She shushed him and kissed him.

“None of that matters now.”

“Martha, there’s a dance in Granville tonight. I know it’s just some kind of country thing, but …”

“I’d love to go with you,” she said.

Arm in arm they walked off, back together. Maybe they would still have issues, Martha thought, but as long as they were honest with each other, nothing could tear them apart again.

Comment

Hmm wonder who the brunette was? (No doubt Nell). That was so sweet Leanne, the idea that Johnathon was trying so hard to fit into Martha's world when all he had to do was be himself. You can't fight true love.
                  And I agree, Annette has beautiful hair. Then again my own son is a strawberry blonde so I'm biased!
                  And I just love these little glimpses into Martha and Johns lives, they were portrayed so well on SV.

Comment

Hmm wonder who the brunette was? (No doubt Nell). That was so sweet Leanne, the idea that Johnathon was trying so hard to fit into Martha's world when all he had to do was be himself. You can't fight true love.
                    And I agree, Annette has beautiful hair. Then again my own son is a strawberry blonde so I'm biased!
                    And I just love these little glimpses into Martha and Johns lives, they were portrayed so well on SV.
                    Yep, it was Nell. The one thing I wanted to explore with this part was how Jonathan would try to change himself to fit with Martha, when he really didn't need to, and of course, it backfired on him. I'm glad you're loving the little glimpses Wendy. I'm loving doing these moments.

Comment

Leanne, you never fail to make me cry. That was so sweet. And kind of heartbreaking. Martha without Jonathan just wasn't the same. It was painful to watch her on screen. I was relieved when she moved to Washinton D.C. in season six so I wouldn't have to look at the underlying sadness in her eyes anymore. Talk about soulmates. 😢 Well done my friend.

Comment

I agree Sherry, I missed Martha but she was soooo sad. Lucky for us we have Leanne to fill in the blanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tua33915
                          Leanne, you never fail to make me cry. That was so sweet. And kind of heartbreaking. Martha without Jonathan just wasn't the same. It was painful to watch her on screen. I was relieved when she moved to Washington D.C. in season six so I wouldn't have to look at the underlying sadness in her eyes anymore. Talk about soulmates.  Well done my friend.
                          It was tough seeing Martha go through such grief and know that it was because she missed her soulmate. I love writing this series. Annette and John worked so well together.

I agree Sherry, I missed Martha but she was soooo sad. Lucky for us we have Leanne to fill in the blanks.
                          I missed Martha too, Wendy. She was such an integral part of the show. I was so happy when John returned for those episodes in Season 10.

Next part is ready to go.

Comment

Jonathan: When your mother and I decided to get married, I went down to his office to ask him for her hand.
                            Clark: What'd he say?
                            Jonathan: I remember his exact words. "I will not let my daughter throw her life away by marrying some hick farmer that couldn't possibly support her."
                            Clark: That's harsh.
                            Martha: He was a corporate lawyer. That's the way he dealt with people.
                            Jonathan: When he realized that we were serious about getting married, he lost it. He tried to shove me out of his office.
                            Clark: What happened?
                            Jonathan: I hit him. I'm not proud of that. I tried to apologize to him, but he wouldn't have anything to do with it. Your grandfather and I haven't said a word to each other since.

Martha: I didn't move to Smallville for action and glamour. I moved because a certain man told me we'd never be rich or travel the world, but he'd always love me. How could I pass up an offer like that?

The Proposal

Jonathan was so nervous as he waited in the outer office of William Clark’s law offices. Lawyers usually made him nervous. He still remembered the lawyer who had handled his father’s will and that had been a daunting task as it was.

This was different. This was Martha’s father, and his reason for coming here had nothing to do with the law.

Jonathan had been brought up to be a gentleman and to be respectful to his elders, even when they didn’t return the same courtesy. William had been cool towards Jonathan from the moment he had learned that Jonathan was a farmer’s son. As if it was somehow beneath his only daughter.

Jonathan didn’t care. He loved Martha and she loved him. Those few weeks they’d been apart had been the longest of his life and he had realised that nothing mattered except how they felt about each other. Not her parents or their opinion of him. Well, Mary was all right, except she was very much a traditionalist who bowed to her husband’s wishes. On most things at least.

Jonathan didn’t agree with that. His parents had worked together on the farm, but they hadn’t always agreed on everything. Jessica could be just as stubborn as his father when she knew she was right about something.

“Mr Kent?”

He looked up and smiled nervously at the receptionist. She showed him into William’s office.

The older man was standing at the window, looking out at the city. The law offices were on the fifth floor of a ten-storey building and surrounded by other buildings, but William obviously had the best view as he could look out clear across the river.

William glanced at him, his expression neutral.

“Uh, hello, sir,” Jonathan said politely.

“Mr Kent,” the older man said coolly.

“I came to ask you, sir …”

“I know why you’re here. And I’m not about to let my daughter throw her life away to marry some hick farmer that couldn’t possibly support her.”

“Sir … Mr Clark, I know what you think, but …”

“What I think is my daughter has a future, and it is not in Smallville.”

“I love your daughter.”

“And that makes it all right?” William asked, raising his eyebrow. “I don’t care. My daughter will be going to law school.”

Jonathan chewed his bottom lip, studying the older man. Now he understood what his mother meant when she said it was so frustrating dealing with stubbornness.

“Sir, Martha and I love each other. Besides, she doesn’t want to be a lawyer. She told me.”

“Be that as it may, she’s my daughter and what I say …”

“My God, do you even hear yourself? She’s a grown woman who can make up her own mind.”

Martha had once remarked that at least her father wasn’t one of those men who thought she should just marry a doctor or a lawyer and not have a career of her own. Jonathan got the impression that William didn’t mind her having a career, as long as it was what he wanted for her and not what she wanted.

“You know, my dad taught me to respect my elders, but with all due respect, Mr Clark, you’re wrong. You can’t dictate to Martha what she does with her life. She’s an adult, with a mind of her own, and I’m going to marry her. I love her, and she loves me. Maybe I am a farmer, but it’s a good, honest living. Something I can’t exactly say for some lawyers.”

William’s gaze was like ice as he glared at Jonathan.

“I hope you’re not insinuating what I think you are, boy!”

If there was one thing Jonathan disliked, it was being called ‘boy’. He was twenty-one years old!

The older man looked furious as Jonathan again told him he had no say in the matter. The only reason he’d come down to the office to ask for his blessing was because that was what he’d been taught. Maybe it was old—fashioned, and maybe it was just his mid-western upbringing, but it had felt right. He didn’t really need the old man’s blessing. It wasn’t like William could stop them getting married.

He was surprised when the older man shoved him, trying to push him out of the office. He saw red and lashed out, smacking the man’s jaw.

His eyes widened as he realised what he’d done.

“Oh, God. Sir, I … I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean …”

“Get out!” the man hissed. “And don’t ever come back.”

Martha was preparing for a dinner date with Jonathan. She had applied her make-up carefully. Jonathan always said that she didn’t need a lot of make-up as she was beautiful with or without it, but she wanted to look special for him. She had a feeling that tonight was the night he would ask her to marry him.

They’d talked about it, of course, but the formal proposal hadn’t been made yet.

Her bedroom door opened as she was checking out her reflection. She’d chosen to wear a long black sleeveless dress which suited her pale skin and red hair, which she’d softly curled.

“Martha, you look beautiful,” her mother said. “Big date tonight?”

“I really think Jonathan’s going to propose tonight.”

Her mother smiled. “I’m glad. He’s such a nice young man, and you both look so happy together.”

“Dad doesn’t think so,” Martha said with a touch of bitterness. She’d heard all about the incident in her father’s office. Jonathan had called her the day it had happened and gave his side of the story. She knew he hadn’t meant to hit her father, but while she wasn’t happy about it, she knew what her father was like.

“Sweetheart, I know I don’t always speak up, especially when it comes to your father, but in this case, he’s wrong. Jonathan is a good, honest, and hard-working young man and that should be enough for him. Besides, who says you can’t have both a career and a family if you really want?”

Martha frowned at her mother, who grinned at her.

“Your mom isn’t so old-fashioned she doesn’t keep up with things. Young women are able to have both. Just because I chose to be a stay-at-home mom over a career doesn’t mean you should follow in my footsteps.”

Martha wrapped her arms around her mother.

“I love you, Mom.”

“I love you too, honey. Now, I imagine that young man of yours will be downstairs any minute. As for your father, you let me handle him.”

She cocked an eyebrow at her mother, who laughed.

“Don’t you worry. I have my ways.”

Martha made her way downstairs, just in time as the doorbell rang. She opened the door to find her boyfriend standing there with a bouquet of red roses in his hands and looking so handsome in a dark navy suit jacket and tie, his shirt crisp and his trousers neatly pressed. He stared at her.

“Wow! Martha, you … God, you’re beautiful.”

She grinned at him and kissed his cheek as she took the flowers.

“Well, you look very handsome.” She turned to go to the kitchen. “I’ll just put these in water.”

Her mother took the flowers from her. “I’ll take care of that. You two go and enjoy yourselves. And Jonathan …”

“I know,” he grinned. “Have her back by ten.”

“That wasn’t what I was going to say,” her mother laughed. “Take as much time as you need,” she added with a wink at him.

Martha glanced from her mother to her boyfriend, wondering if there was some kind of conspiring going on between them.

Jonathan took her to a restaurant which was slightly more expensive than the normal restaurant they went to, ordering wine for them both. He looked a little nervous, but still far more at ease in this restaurant than in the French restaurant he’d taken her to once before.

She was sure dinner was delicious but she couldn’t remember eating a single bite. Jonathan kept shooting her glances and she knew something was up.

The dishes were cleared away but Jonathan still sat there. She could see him checking something in his jacket pocket. He cleared his throat, his hand still in his jacket. Then he got out of his seat and walked around to her side of the table, getting down on one knee.

“Martha, I love you. I think I loved you the moment I first saw you. I’m not articulate and I know I’m not worldly. Maybe we’ll never be rich, or travel the world, but the one thing that will never change is the way I feel about you. I will always love you.”

For a man who wasn’t articulate, that was the most beautiful speech she had ever heard.

He took a box out of his pocket and opened it. Inside, she saw what appeared to be an antique diamond ring. It looked like one his mother had worn. He took a deep breath as he looked imploringly up at her.

Martha heard the murmurs from other diners and knew they were watching.

“Martha, will you marry me?”

She didn’t hesitate. “Yes,” she said simply.

Jonathan’s face lit up in a huge smile. He took the ring from its box and slowly slid it on her finger. She kissed him. They sat there, lost in each other’s gazes, unaware of someone standing beside them until he politely cleared his throat.

The man beamed at them. “Hello, I’m Mr Davis, the manager. We would like to offer you both our congratulations and some champagne to toast your engagement. On the house, of course.”

“Sweetheart?” Jonathan said, and it was the most wonderful word she could ever hear from her husband-to-be. She loved the way he immediately asked her what she wanted.

“I think I’d like that very much,” she said.

Comment

Awwww Leanne, that was so beautiful!!! I love the idea that Mrs Clark has her wits about her, any wonder Martha always knew how to handle her men! Glad to see you've been able to update, I imagine you've been working your butt off lately.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎