New Mutants (TBA)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

The way it's done leaves you unsure if [SPOILER]everything from here on out is real, or will turn out to all be in Dani's head (a dream she's having, while passed out in the woods).[/SPOILER] Okay, logically, it would have to be the former. But you really want to watch the film and find out.

Comment

Really want to watch the movie, but I'll probably end up waiting for the digital release. The number of people hospitalized for COVID-19 in my region is low, but we're still getting new cases (I'm not taking chances just to watch a movie, that I can watch later in my own apartment , when they release it digitally).
          Last edited by jon-el87; 08-04-2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

I’m so curious about how this will turn out; especially with the 99mins runtime (which is more like 90mins not including the credits). This will be the first movie I’ll be seeing when AMC reopens this week. I’m excited nonetheless to be going to the theaters again.

Comment

After six long months since my last theater outing, New Mutants was my first movie coming back. I thought it was better than the last two X-films and an ok close to the FOX-era X-Men franchise.

[SPOILER]This was so similar to M.Knight Shyamalan’s Glass (obviously with Anya Taylor-Joy in both) that if they hadn’t established that the characters were mutants from the start, I could have seen this as some sort of anthology film with teenages in the same Unbreakable universe.[/SPOILER]

Comment

Not sure what to say about it.

Illyana is played up as this extremely powerful mutant, who can teleport. I'm left wondering why she doesn't just teleport all the kids away from this place? It's only established that she can't teleport through the force field, in a deleted scene (not in the actual film). Seems like the sort of thing to leave in the movie. She's also depicted as being overtly racist against Dani (which doesn't make you warm up to her. Nor is it ever really resolved). In the comics, the great-grandmother of Illyana (and Colossus) was Romani. It would've been interesting to see them reference/establish her Romani heritage. As then you've got a superhero film with a team that includes a Native American superhero (Dani Moonstar), a Latino superhero (Bobby da Costa/Sunspot) , a Romani superhero (Illyana Rasputin), and two lesbian superheroes (Dani and Rahne Sinclair). That would've made for an interesting conclusion for the Fox X-Men franchise. A franchise, that was originally built around a white, heterosexual male hero (Logan/Wolverine), while everyone else was reduced to side kicks or cameos (not only is the X-Men franchise, in the comics, extremely diverse (there's basically a superhero for everyone), but many times created the first of a demographic's superhero. Be it Romani superheroes (Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver), Black superheroines (Storm), gay superheroes (Northstar). And I'm pretty sure that Thunderbird was the first Native American superhero). Of course, she is established to have been a victim of human trafficking. And ethnic minorities are at a higher risk of being trafficked. So, it's entirely possible that Illyana is a Romani girl, who was taken and trafficked. And she wouldn't openly acknowledge her ethnicity in a place like this (fearful of what might happen).

During the attack of the "smiling men", Illyana's scared, cries and teleports away... then, suddenly (within a few minutes), she teleports back and starts destroying them without fear. Did something happen offscreen? Shouldn't we see the moment when she finds the courage to come back and help the others?

During the climax, the Lockheed puppet turns into a real dragon... um, how? Why? After Illyana drugs the doctor, they all start goofing around, rather than checking if the doctor being unconcious means that the force field is down.

Don't think that any of the characters are properly developed or fleshed out. Dani Moonstar is presented as the point of view character, yet I get the impression that they were trying to use the film as a vehicle for Anya Taylor Joy (who plays Illyana). Which is why I'm mostly talking about her.

Not much of a conclusion to a franchise that have been running since the year 2000.
                Last edited by jon-el87; 03-23-2022, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Rewatched the film. They make it clear that the kids are unable to leave the building, without premission from Reyes. All the doors are locked, and only she can unlock them. Hence, why they don't try to get out, when she's out. With Dani they also make it clear, several times, that mutant powers can still be active, when the person's unconcious (or their mind is elsewhere). Indicating that the force field would still be up, even when Reyes is sleeping (only going down when she's dead).

During the climax, when Reyes traps them in force fields, it becomes sort of clear that Illyana can't teleport through the field (as she doesn't try it). Though, I still think that they should've kept the scene in, when Roberto outright says that Illyana can't go through the field.

I also think that they should've fleshed out Illyana's backstory, just a little bit more. Giving some possible depth to her issue with Dani (and her downputting remarks about Dani's ethnicity). As I noted above, most victims of human trafficking come from ethnic minorities. Making it likely that Illyana belongs to some ethnic minority (likely the same as in the comics). Maybe her hostility towards Dani (a member of another ethnic minority) has something to do with that? In Dani, Illyana sees the life that she could've/should've had, instead of what happened to her. The whole thing writes itself. Honestly, rewatching this, with that idea in the back of your head, gives a lot of depth to Illyana's interactions with Dani.

Must say that I liked this movie a lot more during the rewatch.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎