Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of Sara?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

perfect episode 11/10

Comment

I really like the direction ARROW is taking this season. Its getting more emotional, all the actors are giving it 110% in every scene and most of all, it feels like its own show. Everything is always good at the top of the season, hope they keep the momentum going.

Bravo to the cast & crew!

Comment

I really enjoyed Oliver's line: "She needed some air".

Pros
        Oliver realizing that, bottom line, he is "human" after all. "John, I don't want to die down here" was the line of the episode.
        Colton Haynes made the most out of his short screen time.
        The grave scene. Laurel being overwhelmed with the situation yet still having enough control to protect her father.
        Oliver's action scenes are always nice to watch.

Cons
        I felt like the soundtrack didn't emphasize the grave scene's emotional content enough.
        Palmer's character is underdeveloped and, uhh, weird. Is he a hero who wants to make the city move forward or is he just a rich guy good with numbers and trying to manipulate Felicity into working for him? As of now, he definitely appears as the later.
        The scene where Tommy is "rescued" by the police seemed a little odd, and staged. That sort of thing just doesn't happen like this.
        Felicity being a bit too dramatic. She's awesome and all, but it wasn't really needed. I liked her much better upon Moira's demise.

Oh, did Oliver whisper something in Laurel's ear at the end of the funeral?
        Last edited by quasar; 10-16-2014, 12:23 PM.

Comment

The police officer in Hong Kong was staged because it was Oliver's handler in China.

Comment

Originally posted by quasar
            The scene where Tommy is "rescued" by the police seemed a little odd, and staged. That sort of thing just doesn't happen like this.
            Of course it felt staged; it was supposed to.

Comment

Well, we know it was staged, but Tommy didn't. If it seemed staged without knowing it was, one could get suspicious. Does that make sense?

Comment

^ Tommy had no reason - based on what we were shown - to believe it was staged, though.

Comment

I'm a day behind thanks to Hulu (really, thank god for Hulu!).

I can't put my finger on it but something about this season so far seems flat. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Laurel seems to be the most dynamic character this season, at least IMO. She showed a great mix of vengeance, strength, and vulnerability that all the characters have shown in the past, but none seem to have yet this season.

Maybe it's the absence of Moira and Walter, even Thea. The other seasons had a good mix of action versus personal lives, and this season has been almost all Batcave. And a lot of drama and diluted action in the Batcave at that.

I know it's only been three episodes, but with all the build up, I was expecting to be blown away in the first few. It seems like they're working on a lot of setup, and I hope it's not as predictable as it looks. Laurel clutching Sara's leather jacket seems like a pretty obvious nod that she's going to put it on and turn into the Black Canary. Personally I'd rather see her kick a$$ from the DA's office and give the audience an insight into the daytime, "real world" action in the city.

Comment

Good episode. Ready to find out who killed Sara.

Comment

Wow, this was a true tearjerker of an episode. You could really feel the effect Sara’s death had on all of the characters. I thought that her death was handled very well.

What really excited me about this episode, though, was seeing the beginning stages of Laurel’s journey to becoming the new Black Canary. I can’t wait to see the rest of that journey play out over the course of this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Lois_Lane_Fan
                        Wow, this was a true tearjerker of an episode. You could really feel the effect Sara’s death had on all of the characters. I thought that her death was handled very well.

What really excited me about this episode, though, was seeing the beginning stages of Laurel’s journey to becoming the new Black Canary. I can’t wait to see the rest of that journey play out over the course of this season.
                        If she's going to become the Black Canary, I hope they milk it for a long time. I want to see her play up the "mortal" side of Starling City as long as she can, prove she can do just as much as a DA as the Arrow can. I really like Laurel, but until this season I always felt like she was on her own show. Now she's set up to really bridge the gap between the Arrow-cave and the real world in a bad a$$ kind of way. I'm not ready for another Canary...yet.

Love your Lois Lane pic by the way

Comment

Really enjoyed it. I thought all of the plots tied in really well together, and that they did a nice send-up for Lotz's character. Looking forward to what they have next week with Thea and Malcolm.

Comment

As for the staging of the "kidnapping and rescue", shouldn't Tommy be asking himself why the police officer in Hong Kong was speaking English and why he came alone?

Comment

Originally posted by DigificWriter
                              Laurel's reaction to her sister's senseless death really helped put her on the path towards eventually taking up Sara's legacy as the (Black) Canary, and also helped teach her the lesson that acting out of rage is always going to lead to problems even if you think it'll help. The only thing I didn't like about her involvement in this episode is that she chickened out of telling her dad about Sara's death. That's only going to lead to (unnecessary) angst, and I'm not sure that's an angle they need to be taking. I did like the montage bit of her at the end of the episode holding that stuffed shark and then lifting up Sara's black leather jacket, especially because the latter action serves as a nice piece of foreshadowing for where her story is eventually going to be heading.
                              Totally agree with this.

Originally posted by costas22
                              The only actors who really gave those scenes the proper gravitas, were Katie Cassidy and David Ramsey. The rest either overacted (Emily) or just came off too stiff (Amell and Colton). The other thing I didn't like was how Sara's death was made mostly about Felicity and her inevitable dilemma between Oliver and Palmer. Just a general observation, but there seems to be a lot more Felicity than there needs to be in these opening episodes.
                              Katie and David were fantastic in this episode, I feel like Colton was stiff because his character was processing the fact that it could be him and Stephen was supposed to be stiff. Oliver was trying to hold it together for everyone else. Emily I had mixed feelings about, some scenes were really good, some I didn't connect with totally, but I don't think she did terrible. I am frustrated that they are focusing so much on her though, the writers are really playing up her fan base.

Originally posted by evaba

Spot on! I don't like to critique actors, because I know that it won't be taken lightly by those who like them. However, in my opinion emotional scenes are not Emily's forte, and her lack of acting experience becomes all the more obvious the more dramatic/heavy scenes she gets. I also agree that there has been an imbalance among the characters in the opening episodes, with Felicity getting more screen time than necessary. She is a very popular character with a very active an loud fanbase, whose members are drowning social media in tweets and FB comments and I think the writers and producers have been a bit lured by this fan popularity. It's a bit like the "Urkel-effect"...if you have a really popular character you think you need to give him/her as much screen time/story involvement as possible to please the viewers. The truth is that what the general viewer wants is a well-written, well-balanced ensemble show, because s/he is not as attached to one specific character as the Felicity/Olicity shipper fanbase is, and it is the general viewer that she show should be directed to. Felicity really needs backstory and character development, but it should be in story-lines that pertain to her. She hadn't known Sara long enough to grieve her like Laurel or Oliver, and therefore I understand why you thought it was odd that Sara's death was made to look so important to Felicity. Anyway, I'll come back with my own review later on!
                              I think she did okay, she was great, but she held her own for what it was. I do agree though that there has been a lot of emphasis on Felicity's character this season, for me it pulls me out of the show because I don't watch just for Felicity. To me she's a supporting character (I'm probably going to be booed for saying that). Me personally, I'm not interested in the writers putting so much emphasis on her. I noticed last season too she was getting increasingly more time as the story went on, but thought maybe it was just me, now this season it's very obvious.

Originally posted by super_j_man
                              Emotionally I thought the episode was fine. I don't think Felicity overreacted, I think it's been clear before that Felicity can be a very emotional character and would react the way she did. Oliver IMO was not stiff because as he said he didn't have the luxury of falling apart. Everyone processes emotions differently and in a way Oliver WAS much affected by Sara's death in this episode. ANYWHO...
                              True, I thought Oliver being stiff made sense and I interpreted Roy as having a lot on his shoulders, knowing the truth about Thea, realizing the danger of being on the Arrow team, death of a friend. He didn't know how to deal with it all. I think Emily did well, there were some scenes that felt a little off but she did pretty well, just my opinion.

Originally posted by super_j_man
                              Other points:
                              *Loved the reveal on Thea. Should be an interesting change for her character!
                              *I want to like Laurel and I have high hopes for her this season, but we just need some consistency with her. This episode portrayed her as a very "tough" character which is not really consistent with the way she's been in the past. There have been times where she's "kicked butt" before but there have been a lot of times (especially last season) where she's written as fragile or weak.
                              I'm interested to see where they go with Thea this season as well.
                              I enjoy Laurel and have high hopes for her this season as well. I think there is consistency with her, sometimes it's not clear due to writing, but she is tough. She's always fought for injustice and herself when she's needed to, that's been shown and last season I think she hit a point where she cracked under pressure and gave in. She spiralled due to her addiction, but she came out stronger from it. She overcame her struggle and showed that she is a fighter. Last season was like the breaking point that pushed all of who she really is to the surface and made her stand up and decide, I'm going to face everything head on. I think her struggles last season were part of what made her stronger for this season, if she hadn't gone through what she went through last year she would have completely collapsed with the death of Sara. If Sara's death had hit last year she'd be ruined, but now she has an inner strength that wasn't totally developed last year.

Originally posted by quasar
                              Oh, did Oliver whisper something in Laurel's ear at the end of the funeral?
                              Good question. I didn't notice, I expected him to, but maybe he did. I'll have to go back and look.

Originally posted by Lois_Lane_Fan

Agree. THere were very few parts that fell flat for me, they existed, but the good in the episode outweighed that.

I'd rate the episode a 9/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Stardelphia
                                If she's going to become the Black Canary, I hope they milk it for a long time. I want to see her play up the "mortal" side of Starling City as long as she can, prove she can do just as much as a DA as the Arrow can. I really like Laurel, but until this season I always felt like she was on her own show. Now she's set up to really bridge the gap between the Arrow-cave and the real world in a bad a$$ kind of way. I'm not ready for another Canary...yet.
                                I agree that there is plenty of room to show Laurel fighting crime in her own way as a DA. Let's hope that the writers don't forget that aspect of her character.

Originally posted by Stardelphia
                                Love your Lois Lane pic by the way
                                Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍