No announcement yet.

Shazam

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Halberdier17
    You posted it in the OP of this thread I might be misunderstanding what he said when he said "It is someone that can throw down with Superman and it isn't Green Lantern."
    Ah OK. Went back and watched the clip again and I guess he does kind of imply that John Stewart was not an option due to "the other version", being Hal... still not 100% confirmation that Jordan will be in JL / Stewart won't, but it does make it kind of seem that it might be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by darkphoenix21
      It looks like Shazam will be flying solo in his own universe...

The Shazam project will be produced by New Line, a subsidiary of Warner Bros. proper, and when New Line president Toby Emmerich gets on the phone to EW, he makes it clear that the film will be a different kind of superhero movie. “It feels to me like Shazam will have a tone unto itself,” he explains. “It’s a DC comic, but it’s not a Justice League character, and it’s not a Marvel comic. The tone and the feeling of the movie will be different from the other range of comic book movies.”

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/09/0...ovie-rock-fun/
      Based on what they're doing with the DCCU, that makes sense. Feels like a missed opportunity, but it makes sense.

Comment

Agreed, BG. To just be starting your DCCU and almost immediately have a non-connected movie seems strange... but as I mentioned, I think fitting Shazam into the tone of their universe would be difficult, to say the least.

Comment

If Rock Is playing Black Adam who will be Shazam!?

not many people can go toe to toe with rock and make it believable so whoever they cast is going to need the size and some star power, unless that's what makes this "different" from other comic book movies.

I wanted Rock to play both roles. It could be easily done and be another epic career challenge for the rock to overcome, its completely plausible.

Having New Line distribute the movie, just shows they have 2 very different paths for the DCCU flicks.
          Last edited by KneelBeforeSmallville; 09-04-2014, 09:40 PM.

Comment

I've heard the idea of him playing both parts.
            That seems like it's the only way to go without making Shazam seem like a 'beta' in comparison to Black Adam.

The Shazam project will be produced by New Line, a subsidiary of Warner Bros. proper, and when New Line president Toby Emmerich gets on the phone to EW, he makes it clear that the film will be a different kind of superhero movie. “It feels to me like Shazam will have a tone unto itself,” he explains. “It’s a DC comic, but it’s not a Justice League character, and it’s not a Marvel comic. The tone and the feeling of the movie will be different from the other range of comic book movies.”
            The way I read that is that they aren't directly linking it with the current universe but they are still leaving the possibility open, which is probably the best way to go about it given that Shazam isn't a major character to the public. Not being a Justice League character at this stage in the DCCU isn't a major thing as there hasn't been proven ground work for all of the big 7 JL characters.
            Having a different tone and feeling to the movie will be a nice change of pace and it will also lead them to open up the magic side of DC and potentially include it into the DCCU at a later date.

Originally posted by KneelBeforeSmallville
            If Rock Is playing Black Adam who will be Shazam!?

not many people can go toe to toe with rock and make it believable so whoever they cast is going to need the size and some star power, unless that's what makes this "different" from other comic book movies.

I wanted Rock to play both roles. It could be easily done and be another epic career challenge for the rock to overcome, its completely plausible.

Having New Line distribute the movie, just shows they have 2 very different paths for the DCCU flicks.
            I can't think of a single actor that would be young enough to play Shazam that would bring the presence to be able to go toe to toe with him and then get the step up. The only 2 actor's that I can think of that could do that are Arnold and Stallone, both of which aren't young enough to play Shazam. The only one that I may feel could stand up to him would be Chris Hemsworth, but he's tied down with the role of Thor so that isn't going to happen unless Marvel release him from his contract so the movie's can follow the comic's and turn Thor into a girl (which would be a complete shock).

Comment

I mean, if they spin it right you could have Shazam be the underdog in terms of Black Adam overshadowing him but what it comes down to is the Rocks intensity and charisma. Your 100% right, I cant think of another actor who could bring a similar presence AND make it believable.

Comment

Originally posted by KneelBeforeSmallville
                I mean, if they spin it right you could have Shazam be the underdog in terms of Black Adam overshadowing him but what it comes down to is the Rocks intensity and charisma. Your 100% right, I cant think of another actor who could bring a similar presence AND make it believable.
                If they go that way then they have to make it an origin story and make it so that Shazam is still thinking like a kid when it comes to the fight with no experience what so ever. But even then, it will feel odd to see The Rock beaten as that doesn't happen.

Comment

New Line is a subsidiary of WB doesn't make a jot of difference.

Comment

Bad guys are usually portrayed by charismatic actors at least when compared to the hero. I don't see The Rock playing Black Adam a problem at all.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                      Bad guys are usually portrayed by charismatic actors at least when compared to the hero. I don't see The Rock playing Black Adam a problem at all.
                      Jack Nicholson, Gene Hackman, Kevin Spacey all come to mind. They were all bigger names and more popular picks than the heroes they went up against... at least initially.

Comment

Despite agreeing that it will be hard for someone to stand toe to toe w/ The Rock on screen.... sorry to say, but I think the idea of him playing both parts is goofy... that would be so distracting and just plain strange.

Only way that kind of move could be pulled off is with Supes/Bizarro, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by The Krypton Knight
                          Despite agreeing that it will be hard for someone to stand toe to toe w/ The Rock on screen.... sorry to say, but I think the idea of him playing both parts is goofy... that would be so distracting and just plain strange.

Only way that kind of move could be pulled off is with Supes/Bizarro, lol.
                          I've kind of always thought it would be a neat idea to cast a former Superman as Bizarro in a feature. Have Cavill fight Cain or something. It's probably cooler in concept, though.

Comment

I applaud WB/DC for setting this in a separate cinematic universe, assuming the rumour is true. Regardless of what Marvel does, it isn't the case that every single movie and every tv show and every cartoon and every video game and every comic book needs to be in the same continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by DA_Champion
                              I applaud WB/DC for setting this in a separate cinematic universe, assuming the rumour is true. Regardless of what Marvel does, it isn't the case that every single movie and every tv show and every cartoon and every video game and every comic book needs to be in the same continuity.
                              If the rumor is true I expect them to merge the universes eventually they seem to be building a Multiverse instead of just a single universe and I'm expecting a crisis so they could have characters crossing over between the Multiverse.

Comment

Well, they're not going to merge all the universes are they?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎