No announcement yet.

"Gotham" to tease various Joker origins

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Gotham" to tease various Joker origins

Screenrant and other sites are reporting that "Gotham" will potentially be featuring The Joker very early on...

... however, they will tease numerous potential actors/roles and origins, which could be very interesting.

I love the idea. I don't think that the Joker should have a set origin, so this is a cool way to keep it muddled and also tease some cool hints towards his eventual arrival, and some comic nods to, no doubt.

Read more here:

http://http://screenrant.com/gotham-tv-show-joker-actors-hint/

It sounds interesting but I wonder how well the show will work without an established Batman. I loved Gotham Central where Batman was a guest star...but he was there!

A slow burn Joker can work as always with these kinds of ideas but for once I'd like one of these shows go all out from the starting gate. Seeing a full fledged Joker doing what he does best for a couple of episodes would make us care more about all the nods to his possible origins. That's why Nolan's Joker worked so well, the bank robbery scene made him a force to be reckoned with.

Comment

I love the idea. We get to guess who Mr. J will be over the course of the season and for all we know it could be none of the people we see.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
        A slow burn Joker can work as always with these kinds of ideas but for once I'd like one of these shows go all out from the starting gate. Seeing a full fledged Joker doing what he does best for a couple of episodes would make us care more about all the nods to his possible origins. That's why Nolan's Joker worked so well, the bank robbery scene made him a force to be reckoned with.
        To be honest, I doubt we do ever see the Joker, at least in full "Joker" regalia... and we probably shouldn't, since he's usually a direct response to the appearance of Batman, which won't likely ever happen on the show.

I am almost positive that we will get The Red Hood at some point though.

Comment

Originally posted by The Krypton Knight
          To be honest, I doubt we do ever see the Joker, at least in full "Joker" regalia... and we probably shouldn't, since he's usually a direct response to the appearance of Batman, which won't likely ever happen on the show.
          With this kind of a premise it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Comment

I actually think this might have just been a clickbait fan theory that others are running with. Don't think they'd be that gimmicky just yet.

There is a comedian in the pilot, but sometimes a funny guy is just a funny guy.

Comment

Originally posted by KSiteTV
              I actually think this might have just been a clickbait fan theory that others are running with. Don't think they'd be that gimmicky just yet.

There is a comedian in the pilot, but sometimes a funny guy is just a funny guy.
              I thought the info had basically come from the showrunners?

Either way, I don't think its gimmicky at all... I think its a good way to "feature" The Joker without having to actually have him on the show (at least at this point), which wouldn't fit in the continuity that the show is trying to present.

I think its clever, actually. The whole "sometimes a funny guy is just a funny guy" is exactly why... fans will be kept guessing all the way until the ultimate reveal, whenever that may actually take place.

Comment

I agree with the commentors on that site. The Joker should not have a defined origin. If they tease various origins in the end it mustn't be any of them.

When I sat in TDK for the first time and The Joker told how he got these scars, I just sat there and thought "Really? That's it?" Only when he told that second story I was like "There's my Joker.".

The Garak character of Deep Space Nine has a similar background (you can fast forward to 2:00):

Last edited by DJ Doena; 07-20-2014, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Meanwhile, that rumour about The Joker has also been debunked as Heller revealed that while it won't be a weekly guessing game, they will still tease and play with his identity.

Comment

Thats cool. Thats kinda what I originally thought they had in mind when I read the rumour in the first place, so that works for me.

Doing it every week would be a bit much for sure, I would definitely be in favour of a more subtle approach.

Comment

In the comics Harley Quinn's dad is a criminal. I think it would be awesome to introduce Frances Quinzell and give him joker like qualities. I'm not saying make him The Joker just similar. It would fill a joker like character and it would show a kind of Electra like attraction Harley has for Joker

Comment

Originally posted by The Krypton Knight

I am almost positive that we will get The Red Hood at some point though.
                        Great guess, Krypton Knight. Tune in on 23 Feb to see how this one plays out.

Comment

The Huff-Post is asking "did we just met the Joker?" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6695404.html
                          I have to admit, the actor who played the part (Cameron Monaghan) did a great job of mixing both Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger into his villainous confession. I would give him a standing applause. I don't think many could have done a better job.
                          But, I fail to see how a easily figured out psychopath would become obsessed with a man in a bat suit and not the suit and tie sitting across from him. Jim seems to me to be his better nemesis in this story line. And speaking of which, did anyone else feel like it was rushed together last night. Like the writers and production are trying to push to the end of the session?
                          Sorry, off topic there a little. The Fox website (subsite) Gotham Chronicle [http://gothamchronicle.com/post/1112...uspect-cracks] seems to hint at this being a possible Joker. Then, there is the laughter, hair style, and clothing (not on Jerome but, on his dad). Did you catch the colors and style of clothing of the Fortune Teller? Seems very Jokerish to me. Jerome did in the end come off creepy to me, which most serial killers would do to people. This actor should have been the new Joker, but this story - sucks. Dear Mr. Heller, you know the Joker is a larger part of the Batman universe. He has to be a large arching storyline. I am surprised to find that the Gotham tv show is not much of a who-done-it series (like in the style of Detective comics) but a bunch of small introductions to Batman characters. It is missing a drive for Jim anymore. He no longer is out trying to figure out who killed the Waynes. It is not leading him down any path, nor many of the other characters. Bruce has been all over the place an not obsessed with his parents death like the comics. At this point he could just easily go to college and get a business degree. I just feel lacking motivation of some of these characters in the comics. I hope next session will improve drastically.

Comment

I pretty much agree with the idea that the joker should not have a set origin. leave his background a mystery, but amp up the guessing game of which origin is his real one.

It's just how the Joker would want it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
                              I pretty much agree with the idea that the joker should not have a set origin. leave his background a mystery, but amp up the guessing game of which origin is his real one.

It's just how the Joker would want it.
                              That would be great, but Bruno Heller has stated that "I can tell you this is a long game plan and a long story that we are telling here. What I can promise you is this is not a bait-and-switch. This is not someone who is just a character who is going to disappear. This is not a red herring. It’s the beginning of the story of how the Joker came to be, how the Joker was created, where he came from, who he is. Now, that doesn’t necessarily mean that Cameron Monaghan is the Joker. He might be. But like I say, this is a story that begins about seven or eight years before the actual Joker arrives on the scene in his fully-fledged persona." via interview with E! Which sounds like you will be getting some of way you wanted Aurora, but we are going to find out about Joker's past in Heller's Gotham. I personally, did like Cameron Monaghan's character (which mixed Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger's jokers well) but, the story just seemed off. Gordon was too on the spot even although he was constantly on a date. Jerome was too easily caught, it wrapped up way to nicely in 1 episode. There were not that many clues to link to Jerome but, Jim just pulls out father-son in the end, it felt like the writers and producers are racing to the end of the session then working on making a great show. Heller's own the Mentalist could not have done a great job as Jim did last night, just seemed too rushed to be = bad episode with great performances.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎