Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luke Cage (Netflix)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The overwhelming demand to watch Luke Cage reportedly caused Netflix to crash Saturday. Ive never seen that happen with the service!

Comment

I'm up to episode 7. I enjoy it, but not as much as the other two shows. It's got real pacing issues, and Luke himself is a bit of an enigma. That's fine if they aren't done telling his backstory, but I'm not understanding all of his choices.

Comment

Okay, finished up today. That was quite difficult to get all the way through. Right around the halfway point, [SPOILER]when Cottonmouth walks on all charges and then dies[/SPOILER], the whole show just went into the toilet for me. It felt like they spent the first half building towards one thing, and then did a complete about face and turned it into the second half of something else. It's almost as if they were sitting on two seasons and Netflix uploaded the first half of season 1 and the second half of season 2 by mistake.

Sadly, Marvel's Netflix streak ends at 3. Here's to hoping they start a new one up with Iron Fist.

Comment

Luke Cage renewed for Season 2!!!

Comment

Makes sense. I didn't love it, but supposedly the views were through the roof. Be nice if Netflix actually told us the numbers.

Comment

It's a matter of when cause with The Defenders and Iron Fist next year, Daredevil S3 and The Punisher series afterward, Netflix will have to up their Marvel series quota to at least 3 per year; otherwise we won't see Luke Cage S2 until 2019 at the earliest; and we still don't know if Jessica Jones gets a second season too and where that would fit in their schedule. Honestly, they could do 4 a year spacing them out 3-4 months at a time.

Comment

The series has added Mustafa Shakir (The Deuce) and Gabrielle Dennis (Rosewood) for Season 2, playing John McIver, a charismatic Harlem leader focused on vengeance, and Tilda Johnson, a holistic doctor whose complicated history with the neighborhood continues to haunt her.

http://tvline.com/2017/07/06/andy-ga...ith-herve-hbo/

Comment

The first image from S2 has arrived (The image is a bit of a spoiler if you haven't seen The Defenders); so I'll just link the image and those who have seen Defenders will know what the spoiler is:

https://i2.wp.com/superheronews.com/...fo&ssl=1&w=800

Comment

Comment

Comment

I’ve only watched the first few episodes of S2 but, so far so good, though S1 didn’t go down hill until half way through. One thing is for sure, [SPOILER]we know where they’re taking Luke with his cocky attitude and Bushmaster.[/SPOILER]
                        Last edited by darkphoenix21; 06-22-2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Decided to give S2 a shot. Couldn't make it through the first episode.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                            Decided to give S2 a shot. Couldn't make it through the first episode.
                            It was an improvement from S1 and there were some solid moments but, the series is bloated. This show needs to be at most 8 episodes cause there’s not enough material for it to be 13 episodes.

Comment

I hate to repeat myself, but they really need to change their philosophy on this 13-episode season thing. Aside from the first season of Daredevil and maybe the first season of Jessica Jones (although I don't have the regard for that show that others do), it hasn't really worked for any of the other Marvel/Netflix shows. Watching this gave me a deja vu of The Punisher and Jessica Jones S2. A decent story that should have been told in 10 episodes max. Other than that, there were also some weird writing decisions that made this season feel less than stellar.

SPOILER warning.

The end of the season was intriguing and I am not opposed to seeing where this journey takes Luke. Obviosuly he might be corrupted for a while, but hopefully Season 3 won't spend too much time on that. If you have the hero become a villain for too long, the audience will lose interest in him.

Bushmaster was cool and badass but it surprised me that after the showdown at Paradise, he basically leaves the show. As you watch the season, you think he will eventually have a climax battle with Luke and that never happens. Maybe they are saving it for Season 3, but that doesn't change the fact that the season ended on a whimper and episode 2.13 was a 70 minute slog.

Mariah had her moments (especially in the scene where she tells her daughter that she doesn't lover her - amazing acting), but I thought making her the main villain is one of the reasons why this season dragged. I just don't find her that interesting in that role.

Tilda was ok and I look forward to seeing more of her.

I thought Misty and Shades had the most interesting storylines in season 2. Misty transitions very well in her post-Defenders situation while Shades evolves quite well from Mariah's right hand to a somewhat remorseful grey character.

I was suprised to see Claire bow out after 3 episodes. It did fit well into the story they were telling with Luke going down a dark path, but the timing just felt off. The season wa sjust getting started. I was expecting her to return later on, but she never did. Even her appearance in the last scene of the season is just mentioned. Maybe Rosario Dawson was busy with other projects.

Reg E. Cathey was a pure delight as James Lucas, even though he also just vanishes after a while. Admittedly I had no idea he passed away, so maybe that's why we didn't see him again after 2.09. Whatever the case, may he rest in peace. Nice touch from the producers to have him narrate the final shot of the season.

Loved the cameos by Colleen and Danny and they played well into the storyline.

Lastly, I really missed Cottonmouth this season. For me, this show's very best spell were the opening 7 episodes of season 1. Since Cornell's murder, the show just hasn't been that good.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                                I hate to repeat myself, but they really need to change their philosophy on this 13-episode season thing. Aside from the first season of Daredevil and maybe the first season of Jessica Jones (although I don't have the regard for that show that others do), it hasn't really worked for any of the other Marvel/Netflix shows. Watching this gave me a deja vu of The Punisher and Jessica Jones S2. A decent story that should have been told in 10 episodes max. Other than that, there were also some weird writing decisions that made this season feel less than stellar.
                                Yup, they were spinning their wheels with this season. I lost count on how often characters flip flopped and how repetitive it felt throughout. It was like they couldn’t figure out if they wanted this character or that one to be on this side or the other. They needed to flip a coin or something with these characters (or maybe that’s what they were doing ), which could have saved them time as well as cut episodes down and/or shorten the season.

The end of the season was intriguing and I am not opposed to seeing where this journey takes Luke. Obviosuly he might be corrupted for a while, but hopefully Season 3 won't spend too much time on that. If you have the hero become a villain for too long, the audience will lose interest in him.
                                I’m curious myself cause now he’s a crime boss just for owning a club??? Will we have a season where he’s the villain until someone knocks some sense into him (preferably Danny); his cockiness was in full force too. Anyway, what I’ve read was that Tilda was supposed to have gotten the club but because she slipped up when she called Mariah “mother” instead of “mommy”, she quickly amended her will.

I thought Misty and Shades had the most interesting storylines in season 2. Misty transitions very well in her post-Defenders situation while Shades evolves quite well from Mariah's right hand to a somewhat remorseful grey character.
                                IMHO, the best parts of the season were those quite moments between characters: Luke/Claire, Luke/James, Mariah/Tilda but for me... The Shades/Camacho scene where they’re just sitting there with backs to each other just having a conversation was beautifully done and it telegraphed what eventually happened.

Reg E. Cathey was a pure delight as James Lucas, even though he also just vanishes after a while. Admittedly I had no idea he passed away, so maybe that's why we didn't see him again after 2.09. Whatever the case, may he rest in peace. Nice touch from the producers to have him narrate the final shot of the season.
                                I recognized the face so, I googled him and that’s when I saw he had passed away from lung cancer at only 59. He was so young RIP

Loved the cameos by Colleen and Danny and they played well into the storyline.
                                They had already shown the bar scene prior to the premiere which was the jest of Colleen’s role this season. And as much as they were teasing “Heroes for Hire” you’d think that once they had Danny show up it would have been those two until the end but, he was one and done.... I loved that combo move they pulled; I wonder what other little tricks they could do with Danny’s iron fist and Luke’s invulnerability.
                                Last edited by darkphoenix21; 06-24-2018, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎