0 0%
  • 1 - The end.. of my watching this show

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Beginning of the End?"

What did you think?

New In Town
    How they managed to fit so much action and story into a one hour show is absolutely amazing! It's gonna be a LONG summer waiting for Season Two!

Great episode, I love the direction the show is going. I hope BJ Britt is made a main cast member. Tripp has been a great addition to the show. I wouldn't mind Brett Dalton sticking around. His performance after leaving the team has been spectacular. His and May' s fight was an episode high light. Ruth Negga has brought so much depth to Raina. I don't see her joining the team but certainly becoming a frienemy of the team.

Chatterbox Christian moviefan2k4's Avatar
    This episode was excellent on so many levels. I laughed so hard when Coulson fired on Garrett. He was like a kid looking for a lost toy: "I found it!"

May unleashing 90% of her rage on Ward was awesome, though the set was pretty dark, so we didn't see a lot of the details. I loved Skye's line: "You slept with her, and she's really pissed off." Chloe nailed that moment perfectly.

Paton Oswalt's return was a huge surprise, and he was a little robotic...but then, the guy's always seemed that way to me. I was surprised Coulson spared Ward's life, and Raina meeting with Skye's father gave me chills

Chatterbox Christian moviefan2k4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Degobunny View Post
    I hope BJ Britt is made a main cast member. Tripp has been a great addition to the show.
    I still love how they tied him into the films, by writing him as Gabe Jones' grandson.

Incurable Postaholic DA_Champion's Avatar
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Seeing Samuel L. Jackson was a big surprise, made me smile.

Also nice to see Chun Li beat up Ward.

What was that guy drawing at the end?
    Last edited by DA_Champion; 05-13-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Hopeless Forum Addict Halberdier17's Avatar
    Coulson and Garrett were both drawing the same thing I guess it is the blood in their bodies that made them do that. I think it effected Coulson later because he wasn't part of the Dethlok program.

I think Skye might be immune and season 2 will be about her finding out why she is immune but that last part is speculation.

I liked the finale and would love to see Season 2.

I kind of figured that either Fitz or Simmons would survive I didn't think both would.

Did nothing for me. The main threats are almost entirely resolved through plot conveniences.

Fitz and Simmons - Saved by Fury miraculously appearing out of nowhere
    Coulson in danger - Saved by Fury miraculously appearing out of nowhere
    Garrett threat - Saved by Skye's hacker magic and the son idiotically being exactly where the team needed him to be
    Super Soldier threat - default directive renders them entirely useless, whaaaaat?

I like it when shows don't necessarily take themselves too seriously, so I didn't hate all the quips from Fury and Coulson, but what was with Coulson shooting Garrett? Oh, it's just no big deal? Did Garrett kill anyone to escape and get access to the thing that could turn him into a super soldier? Or did he just walk in there? That was too cute.

Another problem I have is that the show doesn't feel as if it has evolved. It's only changed a little.

Trip is the new Ward.
    There's a mystery surrounding Coulson.
    There's a mystery about Skye's parentage.
    Flowers is working with a mystery man.

The scene where Fury "empowers" Coulson as the new head of SHIELD also would have held a little more weight if SHIELD were an actual thing anymore. But they're not. They only have a few random bases and tech depots that will show up conveniently when the team needs something... but that's already been the case, so who cares?

Where was all the character work? Where was the struggle for Ward's soul? The closest we came to genuine character evolution was probably Fitz revealing he has feeling for Simmons, but we knew that already and it came at the cliche moment just before he thinks he's about to die for her (although the dialogue in that moment actually was pretty good). And for all of Coulson's complaining and being angry with Fury, what do we get? He yells at him for 30 seconds and then Fury disarms him completely by handing over the keys to the castle and calling Phil an Avenger. Great. That was worth waiting an entire tv season for.

In my opinion, this was a really lackluster season finale.
    Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 05-14-2014 at 07:17 AM.

It was better than their mid-season finale. While it was an entertaining episode, some issues I've had with the series still remain.

Again, they 'tell' us Skye is special, is amazing at what she does and is key to a big mystery (her origins). It's a bill of sale I'm still reluctant to accept from them. They're getting only slightly better at the 'show vs. tell' dilemma re: why Skye should be seen as the most interesting member of the team. Coulson has faith in her despite advice from his colleagues and evidence to the contrary. She becomes a card-carrying SHIELD agent on their team with little more than Coulson's statement that "she's earned it". I won't get started on the Ward/Skye romance, which we can safely say was predictable. (And boring.)

Ward has a late-inning crisis of conscience thanks to Garrett's erratic behaviour -- , but all this counts for nothing when he has a chance to bring in Skye. With both Raina and Garrett saying she's special and they need her, Ward has a reason for obeying this order. But we all know this isn't his reason.

His unexpected heel turn was a highlight of S1 for me, but I had a feeling it wasn't going to be a complete turn when he expressed his feelings for Skye and Fitz expressed his blind faith in his goodness. The flashback scenes of Ward's tutelage under Garrett ensured that he would have an 'out' for possible redemption. I wanted his turn to the dark side to be definitive -- but it wasn't to be.

His punishment by May's hands was deserved and needed -- there had to be some on-screen reckoning for his treason -- and his fate at some off-grid prison won't be great, but I'm hoping they'll 'show' us his struggles with his scruples and not simply state that his moral compass was fixed (off-screen) during the summer break.

Raina could have been interesting, seeing her Clairvoyant as some opportunistic mercenary and questioning his motives. She's reverted to her (less interesting) true-believer role, now that Garrett essentially became "clairvoyant" and gave her a glimpse of her monster future -- one shared with Skye.

I didn't mind the FitzSimmons scenes as much, especially Simmons' circle-of-life monologue. I was always in the platonic FitzSimmons camp, so Fitz confirming that he's been pining for her was predictable and not a plus for me.

They've left a few teasers for next season, but again, they're predictable. Coulson isn't entirely healed from his TAHITI experiences, Skye's origins are still a mystery and SHIELD is rebuilding from a devastating attack: all scenarios they had faced when the series began. (Instead of the Battle of New York, it's the Sacking of the Triskelion.)

Madman With A Blue Box Austin 3:16's Avatar
    Joss Whedon proves once again he is amazing at what he does. So much tension and action. I hoped it would keep going and I definitely want to see who the bad guy in the room was. My guess is Red Hulk? We had that little tease where the kid had the Hulk action figure so maybe foreshadowing?

Best episode of the series, to date. This was one of the few times I actually laughed out loud at a TV show, when Coulson destroyed Garrett with the weapon he found, saying "I found it".

I believe the schematic drawn by both Garrett and Coulson does come from the alien blood in their bodies. I don't think Coulson is in danger of going nuts, but clearly something will come from this.

As far as Skye's father (the mystery man) goes, I was a bit thrown. I also believe Skye is an Inhuman, and I was expecting one of the more well-known Inhumans (Black Bolt, etc) to be her father. The short look we got at him gave me no clue. However, if Skye had to be rescued from her parents, maybe the mystery man is an Inhuman villain. If the show goes the Inhuman route, I hope we get to meet Lockjaw ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockjaw_(comics) )

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 View Post
    Joss Whedon proves once again he is amazing at what he does. So much tension and action. I hoped it would keep going and I definitely want to see who the bad guy in the room was. My guess is Red Hulk? We had that little tease where the kid had the Hulk action figure so maybe foreshadowing?
    The episode was OK, but, considering that Fury ordered May to spy on Coulson, one would assume Fury doesn't trust him fully yet. Why would he make Coulson the new head of S.H.I.E.L.D when it is still possible that Coulson will go psycho because of the "Tahiti" drug ? It doesn't make sense to me.

The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar
    I expected or hoped to finally at least get some answers about Skye. I thought the direction was over the top and cheesy, especially Bill Paxton's material which we know he can do better than that. I did like, though, that Mike Peterson might have his own redemption, and Melinda May finally kicking Ward's @$$ needed to be done.

It also might not be popular opinion but I hope Ward stays away from the show for a long time, and that they don't rush a return for Fitz, even though I do like both of the actors, the show needs to make it clear that there are consequences. We never really needed both Fitz AND Simmons on the team, and maybe being more streamlined could be good.

I'm curious what's next for Coulson, though I admit the thing that made me smile most about his "promotion" was thinking "he had better be in charge of SHIELD in Avengers 2 now."

Still, a decent finale, though it could have been better without those over the top performances. (I still don't care at all about Reina, either.)

Madman With A Blue Box Austin 3:16's Avatar
    I thought Fury was just telling her to stay with Coulson since he knows they both trust her and she has his back if he needs her help.

Incurable Postaholic DA_Champion's Avatar
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 View Post
    Whedon is not heavily involved, and this show has not been as good as Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast