Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oliver's Poor Acting skills

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only time I've ever been impressed with his acting was when Moira died. The rest of the time he is just... meh.

Comment

Stephen Amell is a perfectly capable actor. He has shown a great range of emotion and reminds me very much of Tom Hardy as an actor who conveys a great deal of emotion through his eyes(albeit, Stephen isn't wearing a mask as Hardy did in The Dark Knight Rises, nevertheless it works since Ollie went through hell and back for five years). Also, he, throughout the series, has portrayed some type of PTSD with the way he moves his body such as walking as well as motions his hand makes. His open first as if he's wanting to hold unto his bow 24/7 is another surefire view of how he's such a good actor. It's not always about facial features that makes someone a good actor, but understanding that Ollie would have certain devices like that.

Originally posted by Anu
      Well, wasn't Smallville's Oliver Queen stranded on an island for 5 years? And probably had the same experience? Yet Justin Hartley showed him in a different manner. I do agree that Stephen Amell's Oliver does come around as a bit of a stiff character and kind of boring. I hope that changes though. Even Batman/Bruce Wayne in Dark knight series was more emotional and funnier, even though it was a drama movie.
      On SV, Oliver Queen was only stranded on the island for two years and interacted with Tess Mercer after being poisoned. Nothing about Ollie's time stranded sounded remotely as troublesome as Ollie's experience whether it be on Lian Yu or even Hong Kong.
      Last edited by Anno_Domini; 04-19-2015, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Ollie on Smallville did have those pesky mosquitoes. He mentioned them specifically while tring to drownd his sorrows. Otherwise until the end of his time on the island he only had to fight against Mother Nature. Then it was one incident before he rescued the girl and stole the bad guys boat. Pity he cheated on the girl afterwards.

Smallville Arrow may have smiled more, but he still had his issues.

About Oliver/SA's acting skills... After watching The Fallen can there still be any question about his emotional range or actin ability?

Amell has been tasked with playing a very controlled character who opens up rarely even to those he most trusts. There are scenes were his emotions are hidden on his face but even then SA brings them out in his body language. Usually though when with close associates he has a very expressive face and a myriad of emotions can be seen. I'm very, very impressed with his acting ability.

Comment

Originally posted by bkwurm1

about oliver/sa's acting skills... After watching the fallen can there still be any question about his emotional range or actin ability?

Amell has been tasked with playing a very controlled character who opens up rarely even to those he most trusts. There are scenes were his emotions are hidden on his face but even then sa brings them out in his body language. Usually though when with close associates he has a very expressive face and a myriad of emotions can be seen. I'm very, very impressed with his acting ability.
          this.

Comment

Originally posted by tua33915
            this.
            absolutely....Stephen Amell CAN act, it's just the writing of his character

Comment

Did you not watch episode one, or any of the beginning intros where he says his name is olliver queen? Amell excellently plays queen for what hes been through.

Comment

Then why would they take him on TMNT 2 ?????

Comment

I think Stephen Amell is a great action actor, serviceable at drama and downright bad at romance. Every time I see him in a love scene, I can't help thinking that Oliver must be pretty lousy in bed.

Comment

Stephen Amell has grown as an actor. Season 1 he had slight problems standing toe-to-toe with John Barrowman but now in season 3 I see the two on equal ground (as far as the scenes they share) with some minor flaws left in Stephen that I can easily overlook. Is he a Sean Connory with the romance? Not by a long shot, but as far as a show that really shouldn't be some love melodrama soap opera he can work his way through the scenes without the viewers needing a substantial portion of disbelief.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleDevil
                      Stephen Amell has grown as an actor. Season 1 he had slight problems standing toe-to-toe with John Barrowman but now in season 3 I see the two on equal ground (as far as the scenes they share) with some minor flaws left in Stephen that I can easily overlook. Is he a Sean Connory with the romance? Not by a long shot, but as far as a show that really shouldn't be some love melodrama soap opera he can work his way through the scenes without the viewers needing a substantial portion of disbelief.
                      While I agree with you I feel like Barrowman has another level to him that the show just doesn't require him to be at. For a TV actor he is one of the most talented and in depth actor's I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipzo
                        While I agree with you I feel like Barrowman has another level to him that the show just doesn't require him to be at. For a TV actor he is one of the most talented and in depth actor's I've seen.
                        I'm no huge Barrowman fan but I do get the sense that he's downplaying his acting skills for the show so you could be right. In contrast Vincent D'Onofrio didn't downplay his skill at all and Charlie Cox was very impressive going toe-to-toe with him.

Comment

I've always felt that Stephen Amell is the kind of actor who draws strength from whomever he's acting with. The better his acting partner is, the better his performance is, Vice-versa when paired with a lackluster actor his performance suffers. For example his scenes with moira and deathstroke were quite good, but his scenes with laurel just never quite work.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine-Infantino
                            I've always felt that Stephen Amell is the kind of actor who draws strength from whomever he's acting with. The better his acting partner is, the better his performance is, Vice-versa when paired with a lackluster actor his performance suffers. For example his scenes with moira and deathstroke were quite good, but his scenes with laurel just never quite work.
                            Good point on Steven's acting. he really does do good when he has another partner to work off of like Moria, Slade, Thea, Quentin ect. However I have to disagree with Laurel as of season 3 and pre there we're good moments through out season 1 and 2 but I can't really say the same for now.

Oliver and Laurel at least because I may have to go rewatch the episodes now that you have me searching for their scenes better than Oliver and Felicity. The scenes between Oliver/Felicity just grind everything to a halt and they do bring out the worst in each other acting wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Haggard01
                              Good point on Steven's acting. he really does do good when he has another partner to work off of like Moria, Slade, Thea, Quentin ect. However I have to disagree with Laurel as of season 3 and pre there we're good moments through out season 1 and 2 but I can't really say the same for now.

Oliver and Laurel at least because I may have to go rewatch the episodes now that you have me searching for their scenes better than Oliver and Felicity. The scenes between Oliver/Felicity just grind everything to a halt and they do bring out the worst in each other acting wise.
                              I totally agree with how Stephen's acting varies according to who he is working with. His best scenes has been with seasoned, skilled actors like Susanna and Manu. I also agree that Stephen's acting in the season one romantic scenes is more nuanced and layered than his acting in the IMHO lackluster Olicity romance scenes. Katie and Stephen may not have the natural "chemistry" which the Olicity fans claim is so apparent between SA and EBR (I don't see it, but that's another issue!). However, Katie has more experience and an IMHO greater range than EBR, and that gives SA more to work with in their shared scenes.

For example, in this season one scene I think both Stephen and Katie give a fine example of how to convey suppressed feelings in a subtle and understated manner that fits with where they are emotionally at this stage of their relationship:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I also like Stephen's acting in this scene from season two:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Now, I'm not an Olicity shipper, and I frankly not very impressed by Emily Bett-Rickards acting, so maybe that is why I feel that scenes like these are stilted and difficult to watch:

What I see here is Stephen trying to interact with an overacting EBR, who is so focused on what she has to say, and how to say it, that she doesn't really give Stephen any chance to react, or play off her emotions. It's a bit like the magic of their early comedic romcom scenes was lost when Emily had to go outside her comfort scene and do some real dramatic acting. So, I agree with Haggard that SA and EBR don't mesh very well in this type of scenes, and that doesn't bode very well for the future, at least for those of us who don't think that any scene that SA and EBR share is gold!
                              Last edited by evaba; 07-15-2015, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by evaba
                                I totally agree with how Stephen's acting varies according to who he is working with. His best scenes has been with seasoned, skilled actors like Susanna and Manu. I also agree that Stephen's acting in the season one romantic scenes is more nuanced and layered than his acting in the IMHO lackluster Olicity romance scenes. Katie and Stephen may not have the natural "chemistry" which the Olicity fans claim is so apparent between SA and EBR (I don't see it, but that's another issue!). However, Katie has more experience and an IMHO greater range than EBR, and that gives SA more to work with in their shared scenes.

For example, in this season one scene I think both Stephen and Katie give a fine example of how to convey suppressed feelings in a subtle and understated manner that fits with where they are emotionally at this stage of their relationship:

I also like Stephen's acting in this scene from season two:

Now, I'm not an Olicity shipper, and I frankly not very impressed by Emily Bett-Rickards acting, so maybe that is why I feel that scenes like these are stilted and difficult to watch:

What I see here is Stephen trying to interact with an overacting EBR, who is so focused on what she has to say, and how to say it, that she doesn't really give Stephen any chance to react, or play off her emotions. It's a bit like the magic of their early comedic romcom scenes was lost when Emily had to go outside her comfort scene and do some real dramatic acting. So, I agree with Haggard that SA and EBR don't mesh very well in this type of scenes, and that doesn't bode very well for the future, at least for those of us who don't think that any scene that SA and EBR share is gold!
                                Agreed. I've always found the chemistry people talk about as being more in terms of being able to play off one another in the roles they had when they first interacted (brooding billionaire vigilante and socially-awkward computer genius tech guru).

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎