Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should DC/WB just give up on making comic-book movies?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should DC/WB just give up on making comic-book movies?

I tried to make this as simple and straightforward a question as possible. Considering the antipathy the company generates with its movies, should they just not produce any more films rather than disappoint so many people? The tidal wave of bitter venom seems to grow with every announcement they make concerning new films.

No. Most rational people, even if they hated the last few offerings, will hope for things to get better eventually. The honchos in charge of Man of Steel and its immediate successor(s) won't be around forever. Besides, everything will be liked by some and hated by others. Many people got exactly the Superman movie they wanted. There's value in that even if it ticks off a bunch of others.

Comment

I personally want WB to make more movies because I believe they can do better. I'm sure they will do better.

For now a lot of people are happy with the current direction. Man of Steel made WB money so they aren't going to stop anytime soon either. Batman vs. Superman is going to make even more money not to mention a Justice League movie.

Comment

Keep in mind that this forum of refugees from smallville is exceptionally hostile to MoS and WB. At the end if the day, MoS grossed 670 million dollars in spite of a tough schedule, completely dominated the bluray and DVD market, and nabbed a decent IMDB rating. They should keep making movies.

Also, WB's egos are probably too big to let Marvel win without a fight.
        Last edited by KSiteTV; 02-06-2014, 02:35 AM. Reason: You know why.

Comment

Considering the amount of money the Batman/Dark Knight franchise made, they shouldn't give up. Man of Steel might not have been HUGE, but it made money. Same with Superman Returns.

Why give up on the notion of buzz and making money?

Yes, there have been missteps (Catwoman, Jonah Hex). But remember, Marvel's had things like Man-Thing that were so bad they went right to TV on the Syfy channel, even though they were created for theatrical release!

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
            No. Most rational people, even if they hated the last few offerings, will hope for things to get better eventually. The honchos in charge of Man of Steel and its immediate successor(s) won't be around forever. Besides, everything will be liked by some and hated by others. Many people got exactly the Superman movie they wanted. There's value in that even if it ticks off a bunch of others.
            I could not have said it better.

In my opinion, Man of Steel and Green Lantern, while professionally done, were pitiful. But I'd hate to see them just give up. That's never the answer. If anything, I want them to work even harder to win me back.

(I feel like a Jets fan)

Comment

Originally posted by KSiteTV
              Considering the amount of money the Batman/Dark Knight franchise made, they shouldn't give up. Man of Steel might not have been HUGE, but it made money. Same with Superman Returns.

Why give up on the notion of buzz and making money?

Yes, there have been missteps (Catwoman, Jonah Hex). But remember, Marvel's had things like Man-Thing that were so bad they went right to TV on the Syfy channel, even though they were created for theatrical release!
              Yeah Man-Thing was bad and their person in charge even says that was a mistake. I'm surprised no one mentioned Punisher: War Zone. The first one with Thomas Jane and John Travolta was amazing but the follow up felt like a mistake.

I loved Smallville and Man Of Steel and I definitely cannot wait to see what happens next. Why do some fans hate MOS? Am I one of the rare ones who liked both? I thought the movie was incredible and am counting the days until the sequel arrives.

Comment

err... no

WB have BvsS possibly JL shooting back to back. They and Guillermo Del Toro are working on a script for Justice League Dark. WB are development low budget movies for DC characters that aren't familiar with the general audiences.

Comment

Originally posted by maasaloo
                  err... no

WB have BvsS possibly JL shooting back to back. They and Guillermo Del Toro are working on a script for Justice League Dark. WB are development low budget movies for DC characters that aren't familiar with the general audiences.
                  I agree also if the movies are still good who cares.

Well good is subjective but I still think most of the movies that WB/DC make are good.

Comment

Originally posted by maasaloo
                    err... no

We don't have confirmation that justice league dark will actually happen. I would like it too, but it is "in development" so hold your excitement :-)
                    Last edited by DA_Champion; 02-06-2014, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin 3:16
                      Yeah Man-Thing was bad and their person in charge even says that was a mistake. I'm surprised no one mentioned Punisher: War Zone. The first one with Thomas Jane and John Travolta was amazing but the follow up felt like a mistake.

I loved Smallville and Man Of Steel and I definitely cannot wait to see what happens next. Why do some fans hate MOS? Am I one of the rare ones who liked both? I thought the movie was incredible and am counting the days until the sequel arrives.
                      The hate for MoS can come off as irrational.

But anyway,; a lot of people liked it. It dominated genre movies for 2013 blu ray and DVD sales, which is saying something.

Comment

I felt everyone in the movie helped make the movie such a phenomenon. Henry Cavill was amazing as Superman and his performance, especially during the scenes where he's learning how to fly really helped me get into the movie even more. Michael Shannon is Zod for me now. He was amazing and I definitely look forward to see what he does next in film. Such a great lineup and even though I was sad Tom wasn't Superman, I felt the movie as a whole was fabulous. I didn't cringe one moment at acting or anything and I can't remember the last time that happened for me. Never checked my watch once and wanted to see more when it was over. Bring on 2016!

Comment

PS if you like michal shannon, I recommend the runaways. He was great there.

Comment

I think it's possible to like both, and it's possible to dislike both. Ultimately, I did prefer some aspects of Smallville, and disliked some parts of Man of Steel, but there were also some advantages: Henry Cavill has probably been the best embodiment of Superman since Christopher Reeve.

I think my biggest disappointment with the franchise right now is rushing to do Justice League and Batman or whatever before giving us a proper Superman movie, with glasses and a secret identity, where other characters like Lois and Perry can also get development without having to fight with Batman for screen time.

Comment

I want more DC movies but the overboard serious gritty/dark stuff from Goyer/Nolan/Snyder is not my thing. I am really looking forward to Justice League Dark, Del Toro is amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎