Collapse
No announcement yet.

who trained Oliver on the island?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 3 should introduce Natas or near the end of season 2 they should. Could be a cliffhanger for episode 23. Ollie gets himself in trouble and badly wounded and we see Natas saving him. Yao Fei is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by ant1862
      up to season 2 only 2 years are accounted for, I cant wait to find out about next 3!..I think he was trained by different people, which is why he can deal with almost any situation.
      ya each season is like a year on the island. season 3 i assume we will get more of his training and stuff.

Comment

I think this was more established in The Promise, but it looks like I was kind of right in that he basically trained himself. He got the basics from Yao Fei and Shado, but he has taken the initiative and trained himself with the shooting on the run etc. I think there will be more training on the job, but at this point, it looks like he is self taught.

As for the statement above by Superhippie2000, this has now been established as wrong. In Time of Death, Slade stated he'd been on the island for 264 days, so in approx 18 months of real world time, less than a year has passed on the island, so this would give them a bit more freedom in later seasons so they're not necessarily hamstrung by season 5 that everything on the island has to be wrapped up.

Comment

Originally posted by IAmTheArrow
          I think this was more established in The Promise, but it looks like I was kind of right in that he basically trained himself. He got the basics from Yao Fei and Shado, but he has taken the initiative and trained himself with the shooting on the run etc. I think there will be more training on the job, but at this point, it looks like he is self taught.

As for the statement above by Superhippie2000, this has now been established as wrong. In Time of Death, Slade stated he'd been on the island for 264 days, so in approx 18 months of real world time, less than a year has passed on the island, so this would give them a bit more freedom in later seasons so they're not necessarily hamstrung by season 5 that everything on the island has to be wrapped up.
          Slade's quote was a blatant error. He spent almost a year as a captive in Fyers' camp, during which time Billy betrayed him and joined the mercenaries. Then Slade escaped (I think with Yao Fei's help), and soon after found the plane's crash site. And sometime thereafter, Oliver arrived on the island. Six months passed, and he joined up with Slade at the plane. Any way you look at the "I've been on this island for 264 days" quote, it can't possibly be accurate with what we've been told in-series. Addendum, at the beginning of the current season, Shado indicated that it had been approximately five months since they defeated Fyers.

Comment

Originally posted by superhippie2000
            ya each season is like a year on the island. season 3 i assume we will get more of his training and stuff.
            Even though I want Shado, Yao fei and Slade to be the only ones who trained Oliver, I just cannot accept that in a couple of years ( in which Oliver didn't even get that much training as he was too bust killing Fyers and stuff) Oliver became proficient in archery and multiple mixed martial arts! He just didn't get enough time for me to believe only that training from them was enough, there better be one more person who trained Oliver.

Comment

Originally posted by IAmTheArrow

you gotta good point there 'Iamthearrow' ! and that could do as a good enough explanation as to how Oliver was trained, but you gotta admit, a new trainer would be super cool and sick for Oliver and us viewers, I want a person who is not afraid to push and train Oliver to his limits till Oliver cannot do another set! As it would be good motivation for Oliver and good for us viewers!

Comment

Originally posted by markom97
                Even though I want Shado, Yao fei and Slade to be the only ones who trained Oliver, I just cannot accept that in a couple of years ( in which Oliver didn't even get that much training as he was too bust killing Fyers and stuff) Oliver became proficient in archery and multiple mixed martial arts! He just didn't get enough time for me to believe only that training from them was enough, there better be one more person who trained Oliver.
                I got the same problem with Malcolm Merlyn, unless I misunderstood something. Seems he was in training for 2 years? At least Ollie had 5 to work on survival.

Comment

I just realised if there is going to be a big showdown between Slade and Oliver in the flashbacks by the end of the season, Oliver somehow has to flee his cage, get back to the Island, Slade follow him and then Oliver somehow "kills" Slade. There wouldn't be enough time for Oliver to establish a new trainer before he fights Slade... assuming we are seeing two showdowns-past and present-in the finale, which means that somehow Oliver gets a LOT better in a very short space of time.

Comment

In "the Promise" Oliver was shown training so he could already be good he just might not be good at fighting be he was training on Lian Yu and he is good at shooting now even if he still sometimes misses.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk777
                      I got the same problem with Malcolm Merlyn, unless I misunderstood something. Seems he was in training for 2 years? At least Ollie had 5 to work on survival.
                      After his wife was killed (in around 1993-94 if you do the math), he disappeared for 2 years and trained with the League of Assassins (presumably under Al-Owal)....he could have still trained for years by himself after being released from the League by Ra's Al Ghul, meaning he'll have roughly 20 years of experience by the time Season 1 started

Comment

Originally posted by Quark
                        I just realised if there is going to be a big showdown between Slade and Oliver in the flashbacks by the end of the season, Oliver somehow has to flee his cage, get back to the Island, Slade follow him and then Oliver somehow "kills" Slade. There wouldn't be enough time for Oliver to establish a new trainer before he fights Slade... assuming we are seeing two showdowns-past and present-in the finale, which means that somehow Oliver gets a LOT better in a very short space of time.
                        I have the feeling that it isn't just going to be an Oliver v Slade show down when they were on the island, I think Sara will be involved in it to a certain extent even if it's just a slight distraction here and there when Oliver is in serious trouble. The only reason I say that is because Sara said to Ollie in one of the more recent episodes that she wasn't the same girl as she was on the island and wouldn't be as easy to hurt/kill. Which to me implies that she had something to do with their fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipzo
                          I have the feeling that it isn't just going to be an Oliver v Slade show down when they were on the island, I think Sara will be involved in it to a certain extent even if it's just a slight distraction here and there when Oliver is in serious trouble. The only reason I say that is because Sara said to Ollie in one of the more recent episodes that she wasn't the same girl as she was on the island and wouldn't be as easy to hurt/kill. Which to me implies that she had something to do with their fight.
                          I have a slightly different interpretation to that. To me it sounds like Sara did not have anything to do with the fight and was completely defenceless until she joined the League of Assassins. The only other option is that all the other people that are now on the Island help Oliver out, including the Russian guy, which may explain why Oliver went straight to the Russians when he found out that Slade was alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Quark
                            I have a slightly different interpretation to that. To me it sounds like Sara did not have anything to do with the fight and was completely defenceless until she joined the League of Assassins. The only other option is that all the other people that are now on the Island help Oliver out, including the Russian guy, which may explain why Oliver went straight to the Russians when he found out that Slade was alive.
                            That certainly is another possibility, but we won't really know up until the end of the season.
                            I never thought of the idea that Alexi may have helped, which is why he went straight to them. Though I think it's much more likely that he went to them as he knew they had the connection's to get the information he needed without any chance of it coming back to him.
                            I'm also interested to see what his relationship with them will be, as I've always enjoyed it when he's been with them but they did say their relationship is over. It would be nice if Alexi were to come to Starling at some stage and rebuild that relationship so that he could continue having them as a support system in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Majin Wilson
                              After his wife was killed (in around 1993-94 if you do the math), he disappeared for 2 years and trained with the League of Assassins (presumably under Al-Owal)....he could have still trained for years by himself after being released from the League by Ra's Al Ghul, meaning he'll have roughly 20 years of experience by the time Season 1 started
                              Ah, ok. I was supposing Malcolm disappeared at the same time Ollie did. Didn't realize this was way back in the past.

Comment

A Natas appearance would be great to see.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎