Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sailor Moon Reboot coming up

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't creeped out by Rini's "Elektra complex" (daughter-father oedipus complex), though it did bother me in the season finale where we see Adult Rini as the Wicked Lady coupled up with Darien/Mamoru, which in the dub is implied to be a hallucination. I really blame Darien/Mamoru more for what happened there. He's the adult.

I do recall being less interested in Rini seasons 3 and 4, I remember not liking how the focus of the show shifted from the inner scouts/soldiers. However, maybe that's because the dub was bad. I read some fan comments online and season 3 (Sailor Moon S) is considered the best one by many.

They've changed Darien/Mamoru so far in Crystal. In the first two episodes he doesn't throw any roses. I think he's also age-appropriate, only one or two years older. I hope they make him a better boyfriend and a more competent character.

Comment

This youtube video compares the voices of the three actresses who played Sailor Moon in the old English Dub,

I never paid much attention to the voices of Sailor Moon until recently. So I put together some clips of Sailor Moon to compare. Hmm.. I kinda like Terri's v...

Tracey Moore did part of season 1, Terri Hawkes did most of season 1 and all of season 2 and the movies, Linda Ballantyne did season 3+4.

I really don't like Ballantyne. She sounds like she's 50. I just tried to start watching season 3 again and I couldn't handle her voice change. I think they also changed Ami's voice, maybe Mina's too I didn't make it that far.

Comment

Originally posted by DA_Champion
        I wasn't creeped out by Rini's "Elektra complex" (daughter-father oedipus complex), though it did bother me in the season finale where we see Adult Rini as the Wicked Lady coupled up with Darien/Mamoru, which in the dub is implied to be a hallucination. I really blame Darien/Mamoru more for what happened there. He's the adult.

I do recall being less interested in Rini seasons 3 and 4, I remember not liking how the focus of the show shifted from the inner scouts/soldiers. However, maybe that's because the dub was bad. I read some fan comments online and season 3 (Sailor Moon S) is considered the best one by many.

They've changed Darien/Mamoru so far in Crystal. In the first two episodes he doesn't throw any roses. I think he's also age-appropriate, only one or two years older. I hope they make him a better boyfriend and a more competent character.
        The Rini/Darien thing bothered me on a number of levels, giving a name to part of the problem does not change how wrong it was.

Well I am glad they seem to be changing Darien somewhat, the rose thing was always very cheesy. So if Darien is only 2 years older then Usagi, i wonder if that means he will have Neptune and Uranus as classmates.

Comment

I just watched the new series episode introducing Mercury. It feels very reminiscent of the 90s anime, I was hoping they would change things up a bit more. Why does Mercury have to be introduced before the other scouts. Why are they going for pretty much the exact same origins? Why not mix it up a little is all I am saying.

Comment

Just for example, introduce Ami as a student that is tutoring Usagi for biology after she fails another test. You can throw in Ami wanting to be a doctor and being smart at the same time. With Rei have Usagi volunteer at the shrine for some sort school extra circular to help her grades somehow. Have Makoto and Usagi meet as lab partners for home economics . I really hope they change up the introduction for Minako the most though. Introducing her as Sailor V is fine but make the episode actually build her character a bit rather then having her as the plot device that saves the day.
            Last edited by Degobunny; 07-27-2014, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Degobunny
              I just watched the new series episode introducing Mercury. It feels very reminiscent of the 90s anime, I was hoping they would change things up a bit more. Why does Mercury have to be introduced before the other scouts. Why are they going for pretty much the exact same origins? Why not mix it up a little is all I am saying.
              Just for example, introduce Ami as a student that is tutoring Usagi for biology after she fails another test. You can throw in Ami wanting to be a doctor and being smart at the same time. With Rei have Usagi volunteer at the shrine for some sort school extra circular to help her grades somehow. Have Makoto and Usagi meet as lab partners for home economics . I really hope they change up the introduction for Minako the most though. Introducing her as Sailor V is fine but make the episode actually build her character a bit rather then having her as the plot device that saves the day.
              I'm not sure, what some fans have pointed out is that the live-action sailor moon series (which I have not watched) started off identically to the old manga and then veered off and did its own thing. Given that history, it's a bit too early to tell. They may also go for a very pure adaptation of the manga.

They're doing a few things differently from the anime thus far. The sailor V game is discussed a lot more prominently, Tuxedo Mask doesn't throw roses (not yet), there are dream flashbacks to the silver millennium. Given the importance they're giving to the sailor V game I expect that we'll see more character development for Venus.

Within the original anime Ami emerges as Mercury due to the stress of being attacked, in this version it's the stress of seeing her friend attacked that wakes her up, they're playing up the friendship more. Serena/Usagi is also much more competent with computers. What they played up with Ami in this episode was how lonely she was prior to meeting Serena/Usagi, they also played up the yuri, for example the line "you look so beautiful when you smile", I don't know if that was there before.

I did not watch the music video as it has spoilers, but I read that it shows the other princesses in the silver millennium as princesses, so that would be an addition.

I also hope that we get a different story, but given that I was expecting nothing for Sailor Moon (I thought the franchise was dead !), I'm happy with anything, really.

Comment

A fun youtube video, it's a presentation by Terri Hawkes at a conference, she's the actress who dubbed Sailor Moon for most of seasons 1 and 2 and did the three movies. I never saw the three movies maybe I should.

She talks about her acting career, her favourite memories of the show, why she thinks it took off, etc.
                Sorry for the shaky camera at the beginning, it stops moving after the first few minutes. I was just trying to figure out how to tweet and film at the same t...

It's a fun video and she has a nice personality.

A fan asked her if she's ever been called meatball head in real life, she gave a cute answer.

Somebody asked her to use her Serena voice and it jumped out at me, she still has it.

Also, this 5 minute video is a compilation of her best moments:
                Terri poured a lot of heart and emotion into the English voice of Sailor Moon. Let's support Terri's return for the new Sailor Moon anime:https://www.faceboo...
                Last edited by DA_Champion; 07-28-2014, 06:32 PM.

Comment

I watched episode 3. It's a little different than what I remember of the old dub.

- Rei's powers prior to being a scout are better explained ;
                  - There's explicit yuri between Usagi and Rei ;
                  - They fight Jaedite in the Dark Kingdom ;
                  - We see Nephrite and Zoacite the first time simultaneously ;
                  - Beryl apparently did not know who Nephrite was as he needed to introduce himself ;
                  - Jaedite might be dead, and Moon's Tiara might be destroyed, it's not clear ;
                  - Tuxedo mask is seeing early hints of Usagi being special ;
                  - Sailor Venus poster showed up again :-)
                  - Mars / Rei is less abrasive, she has more of a quiet certainty to her ;
                  - Jaedite found Mars to be very beautiful, hinting at them being a couple back in the Silver Millennium days.

Some themes are being continues from previous episodes. Tuxedo Mask continues to not be very useful. There were a lot of flashbacks to the silver millennium suggesting they're going to play that more. We see the Sailor V poster showing her importance in popular culture.

Overall though I didn't like the episode as much as the first two. It seems like less happened in it, also the animation should be better, I think this had the worst animation. It shouldn't be ambiguous whether or not Jaedite died. I would have liked to see Rei better defined beyond being incredibly beautiful. There's a good episode in there, but it felt like it needed a little more story, and much better animation.

Comment

Originally posted by DA_Champion
                    I watched episode 3. It's a little different than what I remember of the old dub.

- Rei's powers prior to being a scout are better explained ;
                    - There's explicit yuri between Usagi and Rei ;
                    - They fight Jaedite in the Dark Kingdom ;
                    - We see Nephrite and Zoacite the first time simultaneously ;
                    - Beryl apparently did not know who Nephrite was as he needed to introduce himself ;
                    - Jaedite might be dead, and Moon's Tiara might be destroyed, it's not clear ;
                    - Tuxedo mask is seeing early hints of Usagi being special ;
                    - Sailor Venus poster showed up again :-)
                    - Mars / Rei is less abrasive, she has more of a quiet certainty to her ;
                    - Jaedite found Mars to be very beautiful, hinting at them being a couple back in the Silver Millennium days.

Some themes are being continues from previous episodes. Tuxedo Mask continues to not be very useful. There were a lot of flashbacks to the silver millennium suggesting they're going to play that more. We see the Sailor V poster showing her importance in popular culture.

Overall though I didn't like the episode as much as the first two. It seems like less happened in it, also the animation should be better, I think this had the worst animation. It shouldn't be ambiguous whether or not Jaedite died. I would have liked to see Rei better defined beyond being incredibly beautiful. There's a good episode in there, but it felt like it needed a little more story, and much better animation.
                    Yeah the episode was pretty bland. I am assuming the are going to make Usagi bi-sexual when and if they get to the Stars arc, which would be a massive change. She has shown a physical attraction to both Ami and Rei, I doubt she will presue either of them though. The show seems to be following the manga more the anime at this point.

Comment

Yeah the episode was pretty bland. I am assuming the are going to make Usagi bi-sexual when and if they get to the Stars arc, which would be a massive change. She has shown a physical attraction to both Ami and Rei, I doubt she will presue either of them though. The show seems to be following the manga more the anime at this point.
                      I was going to ask about that; is she bi-sexual or a lesbian? They are definitely showing that attaction to Ami and Rei...yet, when it comes to Tuxedo Mask they're not really showing same attraction; though they show that dislike to Darren just fine (at least it's my impression).

Comment

Some might argue that she's showed more attraction to Tuexedo mask. The way her eyes were mesmerised and her cheeks turned pink in the second episode when he saved her, or in the third episode how she was embarrassed, blushed, and covered her face with Luna when she saw him on the bus.

Comment

Originally posted by darkphoenix21
                          I was going to ask about that; is she bi-sexual or a lesbian? They are definitely showing that attaction to Ami and Rei...yet, when it comes to Tuxedo Mask they're not really showing same attraction; though they show that dislike to Darren just fine (at least it's my impression).
                          In the manga Usagi is straight. However, in the Stars arc one of the Starlights, Seiya has a crush on Usagi and does try to act on said crush and play up the fact that Darien is away. Seiya is a girl in manga, and not a transvestite like in the anime. She just dresses as a guy as part of disguise while looking for her princess.

Comment

I make no claim to understanding this, but apparently lesbian subtext (which is not particularly "sub" here) does not necessarily imply lesbianism or bisexuality.

I do think that in Crystal it's debatable whether or not Usagi/Serena is more attracted to Mamoru/Darien. In episode 2 her face turned completely pink and her eyes were mesmerised when Tuxedo Mask picked her up in the fight at the special school. In episode 3, her face turned pink again and she hid her blushing using Luna when she saw Darien on the bus.

Comment

This is just my opinion but Usagi seems more shy of Darien then attracted at this point, but maybe the love will develop.

I hope we get some more moon kingdom flashbacks soon. So far they keep showing the one image of the palace.

Comment

This is just my opinion but Usagi seems more shy of Darien then attracted at this point, but maybe the love will develop.

I hope we get some more moon kingdom flashbacks soon. So far they keep showing the one image of the palace.
                                Considering how widely beloved this anime is they are being remarkably cheap on the animation. I'm almost certain that they keep showing the one image of the palace because the animation company is being cheap.
                                Last edited by DA_Champion; 08-10-2014, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎