Type: Gen
    Rating: PG-13
    Characters: Belle, King George/Albert Spencer, OFC
    Spoilers: Through S2
    Disclaimer: No copyright infringement intended
    Word Count: 445
    Summary: Belle toasts the past with King George
    Note: This is a missing scene fic.

Belle dreamed of her childhood on Rumplestiltskin’s side of the bed...

Little Belle, alone in the woods, came upon a she-wolf caught in a vicious looking trap. To her surprise, fur became flesh, and she looked upon Queen Serene, King George’s wife, for whom her mother was a lady-in-waiting. Belle curtseyed, as Mama had shown her. “Do you need help, your majesty?”

“No, child,” answered the queen sadly, surveying her wounded leg, “for I’m dead...”

Belle woke with a start, realizing that she had respects to pay. Belle saw a grudging glimmer of kindness in King George’s eyes when she visited his cell, the only cell, at the sheriff’s office. “I told your mewling father Rumplestiltskin wouldn’t do anything as pedestrian as kill you.”

“Thank you for consenting to hear his petition,” Belle replied. “I know all reminders of the past, of the queen, are bitter-sweet.”

King George inclined his head slightly. “You brought libation, I see.” He gestured toward the wine and glasses in her hand.

“James’ favorite,” said Belle, “or as near to it as I could find here.” She poured, handed him a glass through the bars, and toasted James’ memory.

“I was always sorry you had insufficient blood,” said King George. “You would’ve been a good wife to him. If it’s any consolation, you made an impression. His conquests always seemed to be brunettes with courage and no common sense.”

Belle smiled ruefully. “I transcend blood, because Rumplestiltskin loves me. David transcends blood, because Snow White loves him. James transcended blood, because you loved him. You transcended blood, because Serene loved you. She took your wolf’s blood into her veins, and became a lone wolf’s mate for life.”

“And a fairy doomed her to infertility and death from an infected wound,” countered King George bitterly, “to ‘save’ the people from the rule of werewolves.”

“You think to honor Serene’s memory by persecuting another werewolf and by killing a mouse transformed into a were-man? You don’t see the hypocrisy?”

Belle saw pride and grief in King George’s eyes, as he answered her. “The only hypocrisy is that I was too old to kill that mouse as a wolf; I had to use an ax! Meanwhile, that she-wolf trash and my pretend son swan around alive, courting those self-righteous fairies, while Serene and James are dead.”

The Lacey part of her mind felt his rage. Belle understood afresh the were-psyche Regina left her with. “Feel the pain, yes, but don’t wallow in it.”

“What have I got left?,” he asked, coldly.

“The softness of her fur,” assured Belle, “and the taste of his favorite wine.”
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎