Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of Goodbye Stranger?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of Goodbye Stranger?

So I have to admit, I thought this episode was just okay for me. Though there were several parts that I really loved (more on that in a bit).

The start with Cas killing Dean. Totally knew that was a trick of some kind. The pile of Dead!Deans made a great visual though.

Dean going through the stuff (shouldn't he had been, um, protected against anything though?) and finding the magazine was cute. And Sam coughing up more blood and Dean seeing it. Nice.

The whole demon thing and the one getting away with the map. And hey, Cas to the rescue. The reveal that Cas was responsible for those deaths--as he's been hunting those demons? Also, he heard Dean's call but didn't respond? Huh.

Cas lying (demonic decoder ring? LOL) and them talking about him and whoops, he can hear them! LOL

The rescue of Meg (I'm glad they addressed the blonde hair thing--though why would Crowley do that to her?), the boys finding out Cas lied and the 'Megstiel' conversation were all cool.

Sam and Dean's conversation in front of Cas and Meg about Dean knowing. And Cas saying Sam is damaged beyond his ability to repair? Was Cas lying? That's the sense I got, that he was trying to keep Sam top side to claim the tablet for himself.

Loved that Meg was upset that they didn't look for her. Kind of wanted to tell her "hey, Sam didn't even look for his brother". And the callback to when Meg possessed him was so great. Ah, continuity!

Okay, here's a bit that made me sigh. Meg mentioning Sam's desire to be normal. Yes, he had that back when she possessed him. Yes, they are hammering home that he wants that again now. But inbetween there he had a big bout of time where he accepted that he was never going to be or have normal and he was fine with that. He embraced the 'life'. They seem to have forgotten about that completely. That bugs me. *sighs*

The fight over the angel tablet. I knew that Cas would trump his programming and thus it came across as a little boring. Also, did anyone else think it was a mirror image of the Dean vs. Sam fight in Swan Song? Dean gets his face messed up, makes one final plea and snaps his attacker out of it?

Cas healing Dean then taking off with the tablet (why hide it from Dean, I wonder?), Meg ganked (as I said on another thread--I'm not 100% convinced she's gone for good), and the boys running.

The reveal of Naomi and Crowley (I had trouble with Meg and Cas together, romantically. An angel and a demon? But there appears to be precedent in Naomi and Crowley) was all right.

Dean's talk to Sam in the car was the best moment in the episode. His line "I can't take anymore lies. From anyone." and Sam agreeing it's time to be truthful. Finally the secrets are all out and on the table. So refreshing. Then Dean's quote of LOTR (heh) and Sam calling him on it was cute too.

And Cas on a bus. A somewhat odd ending but I'm sure it will explained later.

So I guess the whole 'hunt' was meh for me but I liked the character nuances and the fact that we finally (as far I can tell) have all the secrets out in the open now.
    10--Loved it
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1--hated it!
    0%

The poll is expired.

There are buckets more secrets now all over the place....that little slip of Crowley being with Naomi in Mesopotamia. THAT I'm wagering is no plot hole, which makes Crowley a lot more than just a former punk-ass crossroads demon....

I also see nothing hugely strange about an angel and demon pairing. Lucifer created the demons and he was an angel himself so how'd he do that? We have Jessie the hybrid kid. Horror stories for years have created all kinds of monsters, so it's not a stretch for an angel/demon hybrid. What is sweet about Cas and Meg was that he was "her unicorn" who really started to turn her from the dark side. Naomi and Crowley are something totally different. I think Crowley used Naomi for whatever ill-gotten gain, and Naomi seems hurt by that...hurt festering centuries makes a good pile of hate and loathing....kind of demonic ....hmmm....

I absolutely loved this episode. It brought a lot of call-backs to prior episodes, gave a fitting end to a favorite character (and I'm also not sure she's actually dead either....hasn't she died before? didn't Ruby die before and came back with Lilith's plan?), kind of opened up a new can of worms that will bring us into next season and beyond...Cas being on the bus was to hide himself from Naomi. Didn't you see that other angel shake her head to Naomi as if to say, "can't find him"? If he uses his powers, they'll zero in on him. He probably won't be tuning into angel radar or even hear any of Dean's prayers, if he does.

I wonder, did Dean tell Sam that Cas said he had to protect the tablet from him?

I have a whole bunch of theories as to the tablets but this might not be the right forum for those....

I gave this episode a 10.....

Comment

Originally posted by Welling_is_pretty
      Sam and Dean's conversation in front of Cas and Meg about Dean knowing. And Cas saying Sam is damaged beyond his ability to repair? Was Cas lying? That's the sense I got, that he was trying to keep Sam top side to claim the tablet for himself.
      I don't think that Cas was lying. I mean, there has to be a downside to Sam doing the trials, right? It is definitely bigger than suffering nosebleeds.

Okay, here's a bit that made me sigh. Meg mentioning Sam's desire to be normal. Yes, he had that back when she possessed him. Yes, they are hammering home that he wants that again now. But inbetween there he had a big bout of time where he accepted that he was never going to be or have normal and he was fine with that. He embraced the 'life'. They seem to have forgotten about that completely. That bugs me. *sighs*
      Yeah, I have felt the need to slap Sam many times this season. This desire for a normal life is forced and I have a very bad feeling that Amelia will come back at the end of the season.

The fight over the angel tablet. I knew that Cas would trump his programming and thus it came across as a little boring. Also, did anyone else think it was a mirror image of the Dean vs. Sam fight in Swan Song? Dean gets his face messed up, makes one final plea and snaps his attacker out of it?
      I definitely thought that it was a parallel to Swan Song!

I thought that the episode was decent. I can't say that I loved it because Meg dying and Cas disappearing again pissed me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Dexter
        I don't think that Cas was lying. I mean, there has to be a downside to Sam doing the trials, right? It is definitely bigger than suffering nosebleeds.
        Oh I'm sure that Sam is suffering more than nosebleeds too. I mean, I wonder if Cas is lying that it is beyond his ability to heal/not knowing what is specifically wrong with Sam?

Yeah, I have felt the need to slap Sam many times this season. This desire for a normal life is forced and I have a very bad feeling that Amelia will come back at the end of the season.
        Exactly. And I have a bad feeling that might happen too.

I definitely thought that it was a parallel to Swan Song!
        Ah good, I thought I was the only one! I read that the director said that originally Misha was supposed to just do the two-fingers-to-the-forehead touch thing he did to heal Dean in Swan Song again. But that Misha decided to switch it to cupping Dean/Jensen's face instead? If he'd stayed with the finger touch it really would have paralleled SSong.

Comment

Good call on Misha changing the scene. It was much more powerful to have Cas heal Dean like that. And it was equally powerful for Dean to be terrified of Cas possibly hurting him again....

Comment

I felt the scene sorta paralleled to "Point of No Return" when Dean and Castiel were fighting as well.

Comment

I wasn't reminded of anything. Except for how Dean's scarface makeup was identical to the last time he got an armageddon beatdown.

What if the Easter Bunny makes an appearance on the show! Has it already? Like, maybe it's not as cute and fuzzy as everyone thinks.

Cadburry creme eggs are pretty much better than anything Santa's got, though.

So why is Meg a stranger?

Shut up, Meg.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSheltie
                It was much more powerful to have Cas heal Dean like that. And it was equally powerful for Dean to be terrified of Cas possibly hurting him again....
                Agreed. I was half expected the two-finger bit but Cas cupping like that felt like both fondness and goodbye (or that sort of thing) all in one. I liked it. And yes, having Dean be afraid was a nice touch as well. Showed that though he had reached Cas he still wasn't sure, which was nice to see.

Comment

Kind of hate to see Meg iced for good. She had a good smart mouth and snark in the right character makes me laugh. So, Castiel is sort of back on track, but I gotta say they are losing me with all these tablets and mysteries and Sam still whining (okay not literally, but you know what I mean) about a normal life and being in peril. The mythology has gotten so confusing and twisted that I am beyond caring at this point, but Supernatural is a habit with me now so I'll watch to the bitter end no matter how tiresome it gets. Eye candy trumps eveything.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎