X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right now my favourite DCAU features are probably

Wonder Woman
    Batman/Superman: Apocalypse
    Superman vs The Elite

I might have also enjoyed Crisis on Two Earths, but it's been too long and I don't remember the plot. The worst would be:

Emerald Knights
    Batman/Superman: Public Enemies

Doomsday and First Flight would be intermediate.

Comment

Originally posted by DA_Champion
      It's an anthology of character stories
      I think I would have preferred if that's all it tried to be. I was really turned off to the fact that it was all flashbacks while they were waiting for some lame final battle. If it were really just a bunch of unconnected shorts, I think it would have been more tolerable.

How does Oa blow up in this one, before Sinestro turns evil, if in the first GL animated feature Oa is around after Sinestro turns evil?
      It's not related to First Flight. They used the same character designs, probably to save money, but they had a different cast. And, obviously, it doesn't make sense in the context of First Flight.

Overall, boring, dull film, without content, lacking a coherent plot, and makes me wonder how these people could get jobs.
      I fell asleep during the part with Laira.

Comment

I thought Emerald Knights was great. I love all the stories accept the Mojo story.

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
          I think I would have preferred if that's all it tried to be. I was really turned off to the fact that it was all flashbacks while they were waiting for some lame final battle. If it were really just a bunch of unconnected shorts, I think it would have been more tolerable.
          I think they made the writing error that an 8 year old might make.

You know how the climax can (should) feel like the most emotionally intense part of a story?

They might have figured that they should make Emerald Knights as a story of non-stop climaxes... as in they just cut the plots out from a whole bunch of other stories, and put in all the climaxes together, thereby maintaining that emotional intensity.

LOL.

Comment

I think they made the writing error that an 8 year old might make.

You know how the climax can (should) feel like the most emotionally intense part of a story?

They might have figured that they should make Emerald Knights as a story of non-stop climaxes... as in they just cut the plots out from a whole bunch of other stories, and put in all the climaxes together, thereby maintaining that emotional intensity.

LOL.
            I honestly think they pushed that movie out fast just because they could and as a tie in to the live action film. I think it was a studio mandated money grab and they did the best they could with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
              I honestly think they pushed that movie out fast just because they could and as a tie in to the live action film. I think it was a studio mandated money grab and they did the best they could with it.
              I don't know how the business works but that story doesn't add up to me.

Wouldn't there be a lot of serviceable (i.e. better than Emerald Knights), unused scripts lying around at any given time, since it's animation and directing should be the limiting factor and not text in a microsoft word document?

Even if it's not the case, I'm sure that there are people out there who could have done a better job with a month's notice and a slum lump sum payment. They could have even had 4 people do it and kept the best script.

It was simply not a good story.

Comment

I don't know how the business works but that story doesn't add up to me.

Wouldn't there be a lot of serviceable (i.e. better than Emerald Knights), unused scripts lying around at any given time, since it's animation and directing should be the limiting factor and not text in a microsoft word document?

Even if it's not the case, I'm sure that there are people out there who could have done a better job with a month's notice and a slum lump sum payment. They could have even had 4 people do it and kept the best script.

It was simply not a good story.
                They used the same models as they had from First Flight. That right there indicates that they cut corners. They probably thought it was a novel idea to have little vignettes, little self-contained stories, in a larger picture. For one, it's easier to write those. Secondly, that meant they could get contributions from several different writers. A cursory glance of the IMDb page shows me that they got something from Geoff Johns, something from Peter Tomasi, something from Dave Gibbons... It's likely they were shooting for more of a "mini-series" of short episodes type feel. By having all of those writers work on something small, they probably could have had a script in about a week.

With respect to them "having scripts hanging around", I'm sure that they do. But if they're "hanging around", and not being produced, there's probably a reason. It could be that they suck. It could be that they aren't kid-friendly. There could be rights issues attached. It could be that they want to make those scripts down the line if they get the opportunity to do them right. This clearly wasn't a situation where they were going to be able to do that to their own satisfaction.

Splitting up vignettes also invites the opportunity that they could have a bunch of different animation teams work on individual stories simultaneously more easily than if they needed something cohesive throughout. One team could work on the Mogo story. One team could work on the Kilowog story. Etc... I don't know that's what they did, but it would certainly save time.

Again, I don't think that they think they half-assed it. They got pretty strong voice talent for the job. But do I think they came up with the idea themselves? No. I think the animation group had a list of projects that they wanted to do and then someone at WB mandated that they squeeze out something to tie in with the movie in a big time hurry. This is what they came up with, and I think it shows that they rushed it and that there hearts weren't totally in it from the get go. I think that they really wanted to make First Flight, and the quality of that product shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Rival X The Great
                  I love all the stories accept the Mojo story.
                  What? The twist alone makes the Mogo story one of the better ones. But hey, maybe I'm biased because Moore wrote the original story.

I wish we got a full movie about Blackest Night though.

Comment

My favorite of the stories was Laira's cause of the emotion between Father/Daughter. It was sad.

Comment

• I liked Emerald Knights. I just can't watch it all in one sitting.

Comment

• In case there was any doubt, it looks as though WB is releasing The Dark Knight Returns as a single film. It comes out in a few weeks. I never saw this announcement before today.

Warner Home Video has released a new trade ad for the upcoming Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Deluxe Edition home video release. The new special collection features both Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part

Comment

• Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
                          In case there was any doubt, it looks as though WB is releasing The Dark Knight Returns as a single film. It comes out in a few weeks. I never saw this announcement before today.

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/20...video-release/
                          I'm shocked. Shocked, I say!

Comment

• Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
                            In case there was any doubt, it looks as though WB is releasing The Dark Knight Returns as a single film. It comes out in a few weeks. I never saw this announcement before today.

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/20...video-release/
                            I'm glad I waited!

Comment

• Celebrating Superman's 75 years.it's a 2 minute animated feature.

Last edited by maasaloo; 10-15-2013, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• Cool But they completely skipped over Lois & Clark Or any shot of the wedding in the comics. That was a pretty big milestone for Supes. They missed Kirk Alyn which is too bad since he was the very first live-action Superman (or was the beginning of the black and white portion supposed to be him?). No Superboy either but in my head I can imagine that Reeve's inclusion sort of covers that show too.

I think they could have thrown in a sound byte from the radio show at the very beginning before going into the Williams score.

Still this is pretty good. I like it. Loved the Atari 2600 reference.

Man I wish they would give us a new Superman animated series.
                                Last edited by Exedore; 10-14-2013, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎