Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were there any Gay characters on Smallville

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently rewatched "Nocturne" and came across with the impression that Byron Moore might be gay or bisexual. Sadly, we never got a follow-up with him, that could've explored the matter further. The thing about the show was that the first seven seasons spent the majority of the time in the titular small town. The thing about small towns is that the LGBT population tends to not be very open (due to small towns being intolerant). There is no doubt that we saw more than we realized, from an in-universe perspective (it's just that most just assume characters are straight, even if they're never shown interest in the opposite sex, unless it's directly pointed out). There were actors on the show who were gay or bisexual and (at least) one transgender.

Originally posted by Nimkong
    In the comics Maggie sawyer was a lesbian but they never said she was on Smallville.
    No, her part was too small to explore her personal life. She only appears in four episodes. In half of them, she only appears in one scene and she's always shown while at work. It's not exactly like she could mention being a lesbian, while asking Lex Luthor to identify the body of his just killed father. However, in "Exposed", there is a moment where Maggie bites her lip, right after she's talked to Lois. I took that as a sign of attraction.

Originally posted by DJ Doena
    Of all the meteor freaks shown, there were only three that didn't go homicidal: Kyle Tippet, Maddie Van Horn & Chloe.
    Um, Cassandra Carver, Sarah Conroy, Karen Gallagher, Abigail Fine, Tobias Rice, Daniel Kim, Leonard Wallace (mentioned in "Extinction") Nick Yang (Vengeance Chronicles) Mary Pierson, Jesse Watts. The problem with meteor freaks is that most were one-offs. So, we didn't get much depth with the characters. Their action were blamed on Kryptonite, of course, in the real world, bad behavior has been blamed on all kinds of things: movies, comics, television, music, video games, you name it. So, Chloe insisting that all MFs are ticking time bombs (a statement that she isn't qualified to make) is just personal bigotry.
    Last edited by jon-el87; 01-28-2021, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
      Um, Cassandra Carver, Sarah Conroy, Karen Gallagher, Abigail Fine, Tobias Rice, Daniel Kim, Leonard Wallace (mentioned in "Extinction") Nick Yang (Vengeance Chronicles) Mary Pierson, Jesse Watts. The problem with meteor freaks is that most were one-offs. So, we didn't get much depth with the characters. Their action were blamed on Kryptonite, of course, in the real world, bad behavior has been blamed on all kinds of things: movies, comics, television, music, video games, you name it. So, Chloe insisting that all MFs are ticking time bombs (a statement that she isn't qualified to make) is just personal bigotry.
      Then again, Cassandra, Sarah and Tobias had abilities that couldn't actively harm people.

Abigail went along with her mother's plan to infect Lana when she know the aftermath of her kiss had brought the jock into the hospital. As for the others we don't know how long they had their abilities and if they'd eventually would become murderous. Daniel, Leonard and Mary were killed, so they never had a chance to prove or disprove the rule.

Comment

Athena, the fight club bouncer in Combat.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena
          Then again, Cassandra, Sarah and Tobias had abilities that couldn't actively harm people.

Abigail went along with her mother's plan to infect Lana when she know the aftermath of her kiss had brought the jock into the hospital. As for the others we don't know how long they had their abilities and if they'd eventually would become murderous. Daniel, Leonard and Mary were killed, so they never had a chance to prove or disprove the rule.
          Hence the need to do follow-ups. The problem with that is that they would then need to come up with a plot, that justifies their return. "Cure" had Sasha Woodman return, to lead Chloe to Dr. Knox's treatment (after which, she was killed off). Greg Arkin makes an appearance in "Homecoming", to demonstrate how Clark stopping some of the villains of the week helped them. But why would Tobias Rice or Abigail Fine return? Is there material for a second appearance? A few times, I've tried to write fan fics about forgotten characters and run into trouble. "Triumph" being one example, where I tried to write about a forgotten character, but it didn't work and I instead went with a non-introduced DC character, who is passed off as a "forgotten character". Many real one-shot characters just doesn't have the substance for another appearance. Take Jodi Melville for instance. She suffered from an accelerated metabolism. There are two possible outcomes: either she eventually died or was cured. In the case of the latter, why does there need to be a story about her? What would the conclusion of such a story be?

To tie this back to the subject of the thread, let's take Kevin Grady as another example (as I just rewatched "Blank"), though I don't think he was a meteor freak (the beam may have been green, but the beam in the lab wasn't shown to physically weaken Clark). At no point in the episode was he shown to be interested in girls, so there's nothing that would contradict a reveal in a second appearance that he's gay. The problem is that you'd not only need to come up with a plot, that justifies aa second appearance by Kevin Grady, but you need a scene where he can organically make a passing reference to being gay.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
            Athena, the fight club bouncer in Combat.
            Not sure she was gay even thought she was flirting with Lois. There was no back story for her but based on the portrayal, Athena could easily be bi.

I don't recall if there were any gay characters on the show. There was the high school football player who admitted to Chloe that he would take the team's quarterback to prom in 'Truth', thus was shown to effectively be coming out.

Based on portrayal, a case could be made for Jeff the intern. He didn't ever give the impression that he had a crush on Lois, more that he wanted to be in her good books, but the way the chracter was played he could easily have been gay. It's hard to explain with offending someone or sounding crass and simplifying it, but Jeff carried himself in a way that you often see with characters in other shows and movies who play the main character's gay best friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Bally
              I don't recall if there were any gay characters on the show. There was the high school football player who admitted to Chloe that he would take the team's quarterback to prom in 'Truth', thus was shown to effectively be coming out.
              Of the confirmed gay/bi characters, there were Colin (a recurring character in S7 and S8), Doug (the football player, whom Chloe outed, when she could compell people to tell the truth), Athena, Maggie Sawyer (hinted at) and Tina Greer. The low figure is the result of the first seven seasons mostly taking place in a small town. In S8, there was a fan theory that Tess might be bisexual. Like Chloe (who grew up in Metropolis and only moved to Smallville in 2000, when she was 13) notes in "Blank", not everyone in town is as progressive as her. It'd be difficult to buy that there'd be many openly LGBT people in Smallville. If we look at Colin. He was a resident of Metropolis and he acknowledged being gay, while at the Daily Planet and taking to Olsen (who he obviously knew from before). The only reason Doug "came out", was because Chloe's ability forced him (and there's no follow-up about what happened to him).

Sawyer's another resident of Metropolis, but her role was too small, for them to explore her personal life (she only appears in a few scenes, spanning four episodes and she's always at work). Afterall, it's not like they could've had her (in "Descent") go: "Mr. Luthor, could you please identify your father's body... oh, and have I mentioned that I'm a lesbian?" That's not a scene, that's something out of a comedy sketch, poking fun at Arrowverse writing or something.

Comment

Possibly Sarah Conroy ("Slumber") and Jordan Cross ("Hereafter"). Neither were shown to be attracted to the opposite sex and were both created by Drew Z. Greenberg.

From his Wikipedia article:

is proud to work homosexual characters into his scripts. "I’ve never written an original pilot script that didn’t have at least one gay character in it, even if I was the only one who knew that character was going to be gay. Sure, telling stories about gays and lesbians has been a priority for me."
                So, factoring in that neither displayed an interest in the opposite sex and the fact that Greenberg likes to include gay characters (which he did in "Truth"), there is a pretty good chance that he intended for them to be gay. Regardless of the fact that Jordan was shown interested in girls (which could simply mean that he's bisexual. A fact people often forget is that there is a "B" in LGBT) in Smallville: Visions, which wasn't written by his original creator (and I'm not sure just how canon a web comic, that's a glorified ad for gum, is). So, the detail that he's supposed to be gay could be something the writer of the comic was unaware of.

Comment

If we're counting background characters. An unnamed lesbian couple briefly appears in "Finale".

Comment

In season 11, there were Brain and Monsieur Mallah. Furthermore, based on dialogue in Smallville: Alien, the AU Clark who shows up dead in Gotham City, might've been gay.

Comment

Rewatched "Redux" the other day. The guest character Chrissy Parker drains the youth of people by kissing them. First she does it to her boyfriend, then to a boy whom she seduces. Then she knocks out the principal and tries to drain him, out of desperation. However, before that, when Chloe's going over her investigation into Chrissy, Chloe says that she's managed to track Chrissy back to an all girls school in 1921 (where she drained three students). Considering her first two choices of victims in 2002, it is possible that she was involved with or seduced, at least, one of the three girls from that school.

Then there's Jeff Hage and Bert Camp ("Masquerade", recurring character in season 11). In Haunted, the two of them encounters Superman and the two wishes that Clark Kent would be more like Superman.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimkong
                        In the comics Maggie sawyer was a lesbian but they never said she was on Smallville.
                        After she takes a statement from Lois and Chloe ("Exposed"), Maggie bites her lower lip (right after she makes a move with her mouth, like she wants to whistle).

Comment

Clark's character journey can be seen as a metaphor for a young kid struggling to come to terms with his sexual identity. In "Identity", Jimmy outright compares Clark's situation to being in the closet (in case you thought that I was pulling a metaphor out of thin air). No doubt there are other scenes that highlights the metaphor.

Comment

Rereading a bit of season 11 recently, I'm not sure if Otis is straight. In "Alien", he mentions having had drinks with a bloke at a bar. Presumably the bar that we see him at in "Haunted", which seems to be an all-male bar, and he's sitting there drinking a Shirley Temple (a drink stereotypically associated with gay men).

I'd also like to add, that in "Bizarro", Chloe's Doctor is a lady physician, whose full name is apparently "John Burke". In "Prey", Chloe's Isis ground consists of four women and six men. However, when Clark gives John Jones a list of there names, there are three female names and seven male ones. Naturally, both of these cases could just be the props department screwing up, but it can also be explained as these two female character have masculine (legal) names. Now, there are women who have traditionally masculine names, but another possible explaination is a question of gender identity. Wherein the two characters identify as female (or have some other kind of gender identity), but have yet been able to legally change their names. And thus have to sign their legal (masculine) name on legal documents (like Chloe's death certificate). Basically, you could easily headcanon the Doctor in "Bizarro" and one of the Isis group girls as being trans (or some other gender identity).

Comment

I feel like there could be compelling arguments for Tess being bisexual even if we didn't see it on screen. I think if the show were on today, they might have been more inclusive with LGBTQ+ characters.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎