Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Clark put Lois in danger?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clark came out bad because he couldn't fly for starters but that's nothing new. Him trying to reach Lois looked pretty pathetic. He should have changed to his Blur suit (or whip up a mask on the spot using a piece of cloth) and blurred to her rescue even without flight ability. And I know the scene was played out like that because they wanted to tie it with the theme of the episode but it still made Clark look bad. He couldn't pull off the save on the spot because he feared losing his secret identity. That's what it looked like to me and yes it's contradicting the Clark who was willing to reveal himself earlier. Even if Lois thought she knew Clark's secret that's still one heck of a situation to be in based on a hunch.

Thematically Clark needed to be on that ledge. Realistically, no.

Doesn't matter if Lois fell on her own. Clark still let it happen instead of picking her up/jumping after Lois. Sure Clark played it safe with his own identity but it just felt so out of character. The obscuring fog makes sense given how the director said Clark was supposed to be the one saving Lois...but given how he speeds the other way (unlike in Action when he jumps after Lana instead of going around her) and the sound effect that sounds like Lois is carried by an air current. Whether Clark knew about Zan's powers is irrevelant since the show didn't show us Clark jumping after Lois. There's no reaction shots of Clark during the fall, not even extreme close-ups of his face, no zooming camera on Lois to indicate someone is approaching her. All we hear is the wind and how Lois is lowered on the street with her head being supported even though no hands are present. She just lands all too smoothly. Clark smashed a car with Lana.

Plus the idea that a human being would survive a fall like that if catched by mid air without any slowing down (ie flight) is ridiculous. At least the fog/air current could slow her down before hitting the street (which is kinda what we saw).

Based on what was shown on screen I can't say it's clear Clark did the save. That's all that should matter. I can't speak for every reviewer or commentor on the entire internet or outside of it but based on KryptonSite alone the fact wasn't clear. I don't know why Clark wasn't shown during the save when the show never shies away from showing his super saves. We saw Lois fall through the fog, we saw her land safely and there was just a wind effect involved. It would have been so easy to include Clark's blur sound in the mix.

Comment

I kinda noticed you haven't cleared up your POV on this. He was going to let die vs. he knew she'd be saved. It can't be both and you've been arguing for both so far.

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
      Clark came out bad because he couldn't fly for starters but that's nothing new.
      So Clark looked bad because he didn't use a power he didn't have yet? Okay. So the reason you think he looked bad had nothing to do this episode and scene. So I'm guessing you think he as looked bad in every save he's ever made before he could fly? So why single this one out?

Him trying to reach Lois looked pretty pathetic.
      Trying to make the save and with protect his secret from the world (in an episode that was also about the importance of a double identity) at the same time is pathetic to you. Okay. I think it's smart for him not to go around giving away his secret identity, if there is another way to save the day.

He should have changed to his Blur suit (or whip up a mask on the spot using a piece of cloth) and blurred to her rescue even without flight ability.
      Wouldn't this still make him look bad? Didn't you just say the reason he looked bad was because didn't fly. He's not flying in this scenario.

And I know the scene was played out like that because they wanted to tie it with the theme of the episode but it still made Clark look bad. He couldn't pull off the save on the spot because he feared losing his secret identity.
      He tried to get her another way before resorting to giving his secret away. That's what happened onscreen. If you want to see the version that never happened onscreen, contradicts what happened in the episode, and goes against Clark characters, that's your choice. Not a fault on the episode. So were are back to him willing to let her die to protect his secret. Because that makes more sense then what shown on screen. That he was trying to save her another way first if he could before resorting to expose his secret.

Even if Lois thought she knew Clark's secret that's still one heck of a situation to be in based on a hunch.
      Huh? I don't know what you're reffering to here. Though just to point out Lois knew his secret. She didn't just think it. Or have hunch if that is what you're refferring to.

Thematically Clark needed to be on that ledge. Realistically, no.
      It's not realistic for Clark to try and find a way to save the day without exposing is secret to the world if it's possible? In that case Clark's not going to have double identity very long, imo. In worst case scenario's and when there is no other choice yes, but if there is another way that doesn't also gamble with their lives in the process, then it's smarter decision, imo.

Doesn't matter if Lois fell on her own. Clark still let it happen instead of picking her up/jumping after Lois.
      He couldn't reach her from there. But he sped to the ground and caught her. You can't use your opinion that isn't backed up show canon as proof of how the scene played out.

Sure Clark played it safe with his own identity but it just felt so out of character. The obscuring fog makes sense given how the director said Clark was supposed to be the one saving Lois...but given how he speeds the other way (unlike in Action when he jumps after Lana instead of going around her) and the sound effect that sounds like Lois is carried by an air current. Whether Clark knew about Zan's powers is irrevelant since the show didn't show us Clark jumping after Lois. There's no reaction shots of Clark during the fall, not even extreme close-ups of his face, no zooming camera on Lois to indicate someone is approaching her. All we hear is the wind and how Lois is lowered on the street with her head being supported even though no hands are present. She just lands all too smoothly. Clark smashed a car with Lana.
      So everything comes down to camera angles and this compared save to past saves and the realistic effect it should have? You mentioned some of this before and I already told they filmed it another way. That's not proof, just the director trying to be creative. And how the save played out in another episode is not proof of anything. Now you are just reaching.

You still have answered where Clark sped off too? Since you keep mentioning this as proof he didn't save her. His superspeeding away makes sense given my version where he did make the save. He supersped down to the street to catch her. That's why he went in that direction. Since you don't believe that, explain where he went or what he supersped of for? Again though not expecting an answer.

Plus the idea that a human being would survive a fall like that if catched by mid air without any slowing down (ie flight) is ridiculous. At least the fog/air current could slow her down before hitting the street (which is kinda what we saw).
      This is were you're going now on a show like Smallville. Eased down by fog vs. being caught falling. Which would realistically be safer for her? By that logic Lois should have been death in Exposed. When Clark pulled the helicopter down and grabbed with his hand. Every character (with no superpowers) Clark backhanded or punched should be dead. And Lana and Tess should have suffered some serious damage too. Considering the impact when Clark's feet hit the ground while carrying them. Again this is just reaching and is about the way the show handles saves in general not about this scene specifically.

I don't know why Clark wasn't shown during the save when the show never shies away from showing his super saves. We saw Lois fall through the fog, we saw her land safely and there was just a wind effect involved. It would have been so easy to include Clark's blur sound in the mix.
      We also know Clark superspeed of the roof, and when he saw again looked relief and relaxed. We know my version of the events also plays into the theme of the episode which they were hitting us over the with all episode. We know they made a point of showing the people on the ground and then the fog showing up and blocking their view. And how the ridiculous things one would have to buy into in order to believe it played your way. But if not showing the save, your assumptions about the scene, and sound effects trump all that for you. Okay then.

Also you never gave me any answers to the questions I asked which were based on your version what happened. As I mentioned above though, I wasn't expecting you to. Because, imo, there isn't any. TBH, you just repeated yourself again and added a few more assumptions and points (like flying) that had nothing to do with episode or things that aren't backed by canon.
      Last edited by SVGirl_203; 05-08-2012, 12:19 AM.

Comment

At the moment it looked bad because Clark couldn't save Lois. It's not just that he can't fly (which is a major issue in a 10 season long show) he didn't try any Blur-ish things. Since we didn't see him perform the save but we saw his reaction to when the fog rolled in he must have known that Zan would save Lois...however Clark still couldn't save her so it does detract from the scene for me. Hope that cleared some of the confusion. It's a no win situation really because the episode wanted Clark and Lois have a conversation in the most ridiculous time with her holding onto the building with one hand instead of having Clark save her on the spot one way or the other. I know they were making a point about Clark's secret identity but it comes off stupid and makes Clark look like a wuss no matter if he acted smartly about it (trying to grab her the normal way first).

It's not just camera angles, it's what's shown and heard on screen. They tried a creative Clark save but it ended up looking something different. It can be interpreted in different ways based solely within the context of the episode. I'm not going to roam through every tweet about the tv-shows/movies/comics I watch/read to find an explanation for plot holes/vague scenes. It's cheap because they can explain everything to suit themselves afterwards. The producers constantly tell us the show was about Clark Kent yet they shove 95% of the Superman mythos into the show and even end the finale with John Williams' Superman theme.

Smallville is fantasy in it's violence, I get it and I've accepted it. People get hit and shot so much they should have serious health problems. But I draw the line on the falls mainly because we're told Clark can't fly, yet they use the image of him "flying" to someone's rescue, catching her and then bam hitting the ground. There's silly physics and there's so dumb it's insulting physics. Again, they were trying to have their cake and eat it too instead of good writing either giving Clark the ability to fly or make it clear he has partial flight abilities he can use from time to time but it's exhausting to him. But the show doesn't bother.

As to where Clark sped off to. Well the street I guess. We could have seen him there prior to Lois' landing, we could have seen him look up starting to leap but we didn't. Again, it's bad direction but it stills favors the Zan save. As to why it took Clark so long to find Lois afterwards on the street? I know you're going to say he saved Lois and then went back to the building pretending to just got out. But I'd say it's just typical super speed. Clark can travel from London the U.S in mere seconds but takes several minutes to arrive at the hospital to see a treated Martha right after she got shot. The super speed is what it is when it's convinient to the plot. Like how Clark was able to rescue both Lois and catch the Daily Planet globe and "felt" like he was flying for a second. And then his faster superspeed is never brought up again and he gets his flight ability with a light switch in the finale.
        Last edited by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow; 05-08-2012, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
          But I'd say it's just typical super speed. Clark can travel from London the U.S in mere seconds but takes several minutes to arrive at the hospital to see a treated Martha right after she got shot. The super speed is what it is when it's convinient to the plot. Like how Clark was able to rescue both Lois and catch the Daily Planet globe and "felt" like he was flying for a second. And then his faster superspeed is never brought up again and he gets his flight ability with a light switch in the finale.
          It's called "Travelling at the speed of plot".

You don't have to take huge distances as example. In the season 5 episode Fanatic Clark catches the bullet meant for his father that was shot from across a convention center. He sees the gun being pulled back and super-speeds towards that room. Meanwhile Lois is attacking the sniper, struggles and overpowers her and it's only then that Clark finally arrives.

And it could have been so easily avoided by Clark just not knowing where exactly the shot came from.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎