The Long Way Home (PG-13)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 3

Originally posted by MariVe
    Uhhgg I can't handle Richard presence.... Lois what are you doing?? you don't like the guy, you are still in love with Clark.
    Yep!!! Clark is hanging up the cape, you can feel it, he's tired and feels alone

Great update, I love it PPMS!!!
    Another update. I'm a little curious as to where I am going to take the Lois/Richard scenario. Guess we will have to see... :P

Originally posted by ssanchez21
    Just found this gem today. I love the premise of your story. I'll take updates anyway I can get them. I'm excited for this story.
    I'm excited that you are excited, lol.

Originally posted by TeamClois
    Jackie, your comment above was pure evil! So please don't tease me now. I need a Cloisy chapter ASAP!!!

As for a lengthy chapter, you know I could never resist! But I also don't mind shorter chapters if it means we'll get quicker updates. I'll be a happy camper either way - I just want Clois together in the same room...preferrably ogling each other with longing in their eyes. You get the idea. Hehe.

In the meantime, I'm really enjoyed your latest chapter. Lois buying Richard dinner in return for flying her to *whispers* Smallville, I can live with. Just get her back to Clark pronto!

And please, update soon!!!
    Reuinion coming up. And I only tease because I love!

Originally posted by cathy14
    Amazing, Jackie!
    Love to see Clark dealing with kriptonite with his brains hehehe it was always fun to watch how differently Clark and Kara dealed with the green rock, because she always found a way out of it but he never... he always surrender. It was good to see that over the years he learned to be 'wiser' than the green rock

Personaly i don't mind Lois and Clark having relationships with other people since they're single and not together anymore. That being said, i liked to know that Lois didn't have any kind of relationship since she broke up with Clark, because it was clear that the reason why she broke up with him wasn't lack of love. On the contrary. So of course she would never have any kind of relationship because she kept loving him all this time.

Yeah, he never stopped loving her either but he was the one 'dumped' and by the look of it, she kept a good distance from him over the years so is only natural that he tried to move on with his life somehow... At least as much as he could, huh?

I didn't realised it untill this chpater but seems that Clark doesn't work at the DP for a long time, right? Probably since the break up.

I can't wait for her to meet him at the farm. They must find their way to each other again and fast

Oh and about the updates i don't mind long chapters but i don't mind short ones with frequent updates either. So, whatever you feel is better for the story
    Clark still works for the DP as a foreign correspondent. I haven't really delved into his career, but I will when things turn... into a job for two smart reporters.

Originally posted by LoveHurts38
    Thanks for update.
    You are most welcome. Thank you for reading.

Originally posted by alv-2007
    Please add me to your list of readers! Thank you for updating. I'm enjoying your story.
    Another one bites the dust.. muahaha. j/k. Welcome to the story and hope you enjoy what is to come.

Originally posted by silverin100
    love this update.....i want them to meet already
    Me too!

Originally posted by Tiggers
    Whoa there. Lois is single? Didn't see that coming, lol!

Thanks, for answering my questions. So, NO Brois? *shucks* What? If you're going to write Clark getting his rocks off with some bimbo, why the heck not? LOL! Seriously though, I don't mind it at all. It's just bittersweet that throughout the 9 years, Lois had remained loyal to her heart.

Thanks, for the update!
    Loyal... that is definitely one of my favorite Lois traits. . And about Brois....

Originally posted by rindra453
    I need more..ppms
    Here ya go!

Originally posted by Julieta
    Short and quick updates Great chapter!!
    It's so sad what happended between them
    A little, but there's always a silver lining.

Originally posted by bigvillir001
    wow great update more
    Update more it is!

Originally posted by imhooked
    Loved the update!! Short and quick vs long updates???.....hmmmm, I think either way I'll be going crazy until the new update comes out. So whatever you want to do is fine with me.
    I try and keep them coming pretty quick. Already working on the next chapter.

Originally posted by tra42008
    I don't know if it's because I was listening to Lifehouse's "Everything" when I read this but this chapter seemed so powerful. You could really tell that Lois hasn't seen ANYONE and to have to report on Superman - after giving him up to the world - gah, I could have read an entire chapter on the angst alone!

And I LOVE the fact that you have Clark dealing with Kryptonite right before his other "kryptonite" comes to visit - I don't know if that was intentional but the paralells in these chapters are awesome.

From my perspective, short and fast are just as good as long and slow. As long as there is more ...
    I have always thought Lois to be a strength with the capability of destroying him just as easily as Kryptonite. Their relationship is unique (of course) and could withstand all things. Guess we will have to see how they handle the reunion.

Originally posted by FWvidchick
    I love long chapters but I don't mind shorter oes if the updates are regular... so its whatever you want to do is my policy.

and I love this.. aww.. I feel just again so sad that Clois got like this..that Clark is ready to retire, he shouldn't be.. he wouldn't be if he and Lois hadn't seperated. Gah! They are killing me..but I am glad Lois is going to go see him.. but how will she do this with Richard along?

And is Smallville and Metropolis in your story pretty far away because I see this 'flight' stuff and i feel confused.

Oh PPMS I am dyin here!
    Don't die! Another update is here! And don't be sad about their lost years. I'm sure something good with come out of it... maybe.

~Chapter 3~

June 25, 2020

Smallville

Clark

I've finished most of my chores, leaving me thoroughly exhausted. The bracelet still glowed against my wrist, but I'm finding it a necessary evil.
    Just for today. I've found two more pieces of Kryptonite across the property. None in the house. Thank God.

Which had me thinking again... what were the Smiths doing. It sounded like fake names, something I hadn't been too concerned about when I sold the house. Honestly... I had had other things on my mind at the time.

Like getting married.
    I snorted, pounded another nail into my final fence post. They hadn't been doing any upkeep on the perimeter, just the barn and the house.

I had wanted to send the names in to Oliver to look up, but then he would have tracked them back to Smallville. And right now I didn't want him knowing where I was.

He'd be the comforting friend and even if I needed one at the moment... I certainly didn't want one. Maybe I wasn't giving him enough credit, but those were chances I didn't want to take.

Hell... Bruce was only one I had told and that was out of necessity. And he'd completely ignored the fact that I had wanted
    seven days. Though the man probably didn't have much option by ways of openings in his schedule.

Two Days.
    Which would put me at almost five of seclusion when the Batman arrives. Another snort.

Already I was feeling better, despite my body protesting each pound of the hammer. One more swing and my hand cramped. Since I had cleared the route back to the house I went ahead and slipped off the bracelet, tucking it into my jeans. Without contact to my skin it was pretty useless, but at least it was on hand if I stumbled.

Tomorrow, I would set up my laptop, use one of those expensive gadgets that Oliver had given me. “Free Wifi, Clark. Free!” As though the man had to pinch a penny. I briefly wondered if he could track my location with that device. No... he wouldn't do that. Just like he hadn't done it when I was Red-K infected and doing only God-knows-what in Africa.

Tomorrow, I would start investigating the Smiths and hopefully I would find some answers. I was starting to wish I had met them face to face before all the business had been done. Maybe then I would have been able to judge if they were the good guys or the bad ones.

As if everyone chooses a side.
    My feet were already moving towards the house, which I had also worked on today. Moving furniture, cleaning windows. It would never be the same as when Mom and Dad were there, but at least I knew that a gun was once again sitting atop the doorway.

A gun that had no firing pin. A lot of good it would do. Scare some kids, maybe. The useless gun would remain.. more out of sentimental value than anything.

I don't know what it is about me being outside and getting phone calls, but the same cosmic force seemed to send visitors as well. What now? I checked my watch. 6:34 PM.

I was on the porch when I heard the car, just passing under the sign I had placed up this morning.

My chest constricted, my entire being froze. It was like being punched in the gut without doubling over... which I wanted to, but didn't. I had thought myself to be a soldier of sorts, carefully trained, but if I had given my body any order it would have never obeyed.

The car was blue, small, a rental.

But it wasn't the car that held me captive, rooted to the wood planks. It wasn't the fact that they were driving way too fast for a farm road, leaving a trail of dust. Normally my brain would have been wondering how they were going to slow down in time, but there was no room for any thoughts like that.

What kept me there, immobile, was the woman behind the wheel. The woman who looked to have only aged a few years instead of the ten that it had been. Still stunningly beautiful...

Still driving like a maniac...

I'd like to have been able to lie and say I didn't care, but my mouth would never be able to form the words and my mind wouldn't have believed me. I had read every article, every word, every
    advertisement that this woman had put into print.

And she wrote the most astounding stories about
    me.

No matter how many times I had slept with Liz, or shared dinner with another woman I don't think it had helped. Because I was still standing there, wide eyed, hardly breathing when she walked tentatively up my porch stairs.

I had tried... so desperately to give her what she needed. To let her
    let me follow my destiny. Because she had been so heartbroken at the idea that she was standing in my way and I could never cause her that kind of pain.

What a waste of ten years. But in reality it had only served to make this one moment more intense. I could have hugged her, I could have kissed her. Hell, I could have easily laid her down on the porch and done all the things I had wanted to do with her after we said the 'I do's'.

But I didn't do anything. I didn't even respond when she opened her mouth and said, “Hello, Smallville.”

5:03 PM

Smallville

Lois

I should have drove.
    No, because then you would have wasted a good five hours. Three on the drive and two on dealing with the people at the rental place. And look, you made it to Smallville in less than two. If I hadn't felt like throwing up I would have patted myself on the back.

If only they hadn't black listed me in almost every car rental shop in Metropolis. One wreck and it wasn't even my fault!
    Two if you count that natural disaster.

“You alright, Lois?” Richard was holding out his hand, ready to assist me in stepping out of the plane. “You're looking a little pale.” And the bastard was still grinning.

“I'm fine.” I mumbled, reaching out to grasp in his direction. Of course I missed, vertigo taking over momentarily. He'd prepared for that, shifting so he could catch me as I stumbled downwards. He was close, invading my comfort zone, but as I inhaled I couldn't help noticing that he smelled amazing... for having spent the last 45 minutes piloting anyway.

“Woah. Easy, Lane.” Did the man ever frown?

Already I felt better, my feet on solid ground.

I was thanking my stars that Richard didn't have anything pressing going on right now. He'd gone above and beyond the call of friendship and had stated that he would stay with me in Smallville until whatever business I had completed was done.

I kept my fingers crossed that Richard wouldn't be able to connect the dots.

If I had taken Olsen then it would have been an endeavor trying to concoct a story as to how I managed to get a Superman story in the middle of nowhere. Even if it was common knowledge that Superman had been spotted quite often in this tiny town.

Smallville, Kansas.

Once Richard and I got our bearings we headed out of the hangar, towards a group of cars. Apparently Richard knew people at the airfield and they had made arrangements for us to have two vehicles. A red sedan and a blue sedan.

I chose the blue one.

“I'm going to head over to the inn. Make arrangements for our stay.” His gaze caught my own over the hood of the car. “One room or two?” Then he winked, following it with, “I'm just kidding.”

I think that's one of Richard's most endearing qualities. Mr. Good-Mood, all day long. I should have followed him, at least got a shower in, but instead I went straight to the place where I could find some answers.

When I step into a small town there's a method I tend to use to find who I am looking for.
    You go to the one place where they knew all the news.

In the case of Smallville it was the Ledger.

The current owner, Elizabeth Reed, had been in Smallville for the past six years... which meant she knew who was who and what was what. All I had was a photo, but considering the Kent's status in the town I figured I would just need to drop a name.

Whether it be Martha's or Clark's.

I parked, pulled out a small notebook and my press badge. It wasn't like I planned on hiding my identity. I mean... I had
    lived here.

And also planned on marrying the town's 'boy hero'.
    So that one hadn't worked out in my favor.

As I stepped through the doors I instantly took in the activity. Unlike the DP in Metropolis, the Ledger ran well with less than fifteen on the payroll. And it ran like a well oiled machine. The investigative reporters were no where to be seen, probably out searching for
    the story.

Three editors, each handling different segments of the paper, an editor-in-chief, and the owner... who also acted in that capacity when necessary.

Elizabeth's office was in the back, which had me walking through the 'bullpen'. A few looks were shot my way, mostly out of curiosity. I was one of the best in this field and I knew it...

I knocked, adjusted my press pass. “Yes?” A southern drawl, probably maintained from the years she had lived in her hometown. Without hesitation I opened the door, smiled a
    pre mad-dog lane smile. Sincere enough since the woman in front of me probably held the answers I was looking for.

“Lois Lane.” My mouth had opened, but she had greeted me before I could introduce myself. “I was wondering how long it would take you to visit.” She had known I was on my way? My expression must have told her what I was thinking because she arched a brow. “Airfield gave me a call, said you had landed.”

Which probably hadn't meant squat to the people who worked at the airfield, but Reed had read between the lines. The rumor-mill. Apparently my mind was working slower than usual because she indicated that I take a seat and I still hadn't spoken.

Get a grip, Lane. You're not intimidated by a hack from 'nowheresville'.
    “Great minds think alike.” I said and didn't need to expand on that. She smiled, grinned actually. So... maybe not a hack. I had feeling that Elizabeth Reed could stand side by side with the best of them.

“You're looking for him, aren't you?” She paused briefly. “Superman.” That... I hadn't expected. “You write a lot of his stories... some of your best work actually. Which makes me think that you came looking for him.” Of course she would have noticed his current absence from print.

“No... Actually, I'm looking for Clark Kent.” There was a flash of something in her eyes. Something undetermined. Her smile never wavered, but I could almost see the gears working, wondering what the connection was.

“Oh, well. I hope you understand that I don't always believe everything I hear. And I heard he was in town. Why is a big time reporter looking for a small town man?” If she had
    heard he was in town then she knew where he was. I wondered if she was trying to protect Clark.

I was stuck dealing with the gossip road block.

My eyes dropped to my notepad and I scribbled down some irrelevant facts. Best look like I'm keeping track. Then I suddenly caught her gaze, my eyes narrowing, just a minor change. “He also happens to be a big time reporter and we fall under the same payroll.” Which was better than saying 'point me to him or else.'

She seemed to understand the underlying message. “I got a call a few days ago from Nancy at the realtor's office. Clark just repurchased his childhood home.” The farm? I thought he would have been staying some place in town, but this... this was serious.

It implied permanence.

“Thanks.” I snapped my notebook shut and stood, wondering how long it would be until my name was on the lips of the Smallville residents.

“Let me know if you find your story, Lane. One paper to another.”
    Like the Planet would share stories.

And I was on the country road an hour later, making the drive I knew by heart. “K-E-N-T. Kent. It's a farm.” How young I had been, startled by a naked man in a field who didn't even know his own name. If only I had known then what I knew now.

I knew I was speeding, but I didn't slow. Not until I saw the sign... one that had been taken down shortly after the house had been sold. A smile graced my face at what it meant.

Home. Or at least it was... for a little while.

I stepped on the brakes a little too late, but there was enough driveway to sustain my stop. Dust billowed behind the car and I stepped out, trying and failing to not stare at the man standing on the porch.

I don't think I was the only one affected by this... reunion. Get it together, Lane. My feet carried me, one stair at a time, closer.

He was still handsome as ever, dressed like the country boy I had met years ago. Flannel... it worked for him.

I don't know if he had suffered from some kind of brain aneurysm, but he didn't say anything, just stared at me, wide eyed. I guess I was going to be the one to break the silence that stretched between us... I just didn't know what to say.

I settled for the basics. “Hello, Smallville.”

Comment

Okay, I officially LOVE you right now. That was so awesome that I'm holding my breath waiting for more!

This IS the most awesome Birthday present ever!

I can't WAIT for the next update ... aaahhh!

*Takes a breath*

Thank you.

Comment

Yes...I believe its true....you are definitely trying to hurt me with all this awesomeness!!!!! That update was fantastic. Richard and liz are making me very nervous. I really don't trust them. Two rooms or one...hmph...let's just smack him. I get the feeling that if Clark and Lois do reconnect in some way that those two will be there messing everything up. I am looking forward to the next update.

Comment

OMG!!!! I'm nervous!!!.... Need and update ASAP!!! Great chapter, PPMS!!!

Comment

Jackie!! This is excellent! But its killing me.. you end it htere.. GRRRRR

*deep breath* Okay I am trying to forgive Clark for sleeping with Liz.. actually i don't hold it against him but it still bothers me..lol And This whole thing with the Smiths totally has me curious. And oh poor CLois..the sight of each of other..just thinking of each other is so..intense.. PPMS ..I WILL DIE IF YOU DON"T!

Comment

I'm hyperventilating....... breath!!!!!!!! :O
              Poor Clark, he just zone out, we have lost him....
              I just can't understand Lois!!! is she going to come to her senses when she sees Clark walking down the aisle with Barracuda Liz? or when he finds himself in a life or death situation?
              Richard back off, go look for another girl to charm!!!

Loved it and hate it, but the hate it's not hate it hate it... uhh forget it I'm rambling.
              I LOVED IT

Comment

*deep breath*

*stay calm*

ok, now i can think straight. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU LEFT US THERE!!!!!

don't worry, i'm calm again...

I won't say anything about Richard or Lizzie because that won't be fair to any of them, specially Lizzie i must say (not a big fan o her right now hehehe) i'll wait for the development of the story and i know that, sooner or later, everything is going to be fine

The Smiths got me intrigued

Hope you update today

Comment

And they meet can't wait for next chapter.

Comment

OMG you just... you left it there?!?!??! So cruel!!!!!

Comment

don't leave it there....I'm really annoyed by Richard and Liz. Clois will finally find their way,ppms

Comment

*pant* *pant* *pant*. Breath slowly and deeply. Calm down.

Desperate for more. Please?!?!?!?

Comment

You really know how to build up the suspense. Now I really cant wait for the next update

Comment

omg i see a major awkward moment coming on!!

Comment

Excellent Chapter, miss. Question though, why'd you go off and leave it there? I waited 2 updates ago for this moment and you leave it there. *man* Nevertheless, this chapter (like the ones before it) was very tight and well written and for the most part, I enjoyed both perspectives.

(what nagged me a bit)

I love Clark, I really do but can you not have him, have anymore reflective thoughts of other women when the only one that matters, is standing right in front of him? lol! It kind of pulled me out from his loving thoughts of Lois. Same goes with Lois. She shouldn't be sniffing on some other man, when her goal at the moment is finding Clark.

(on the fence)

Liz. I'm not sure what to think about her yet. What makes her interesting is that she seems to share some common traits with other Smallville female characters, mainly Lois (cardinal knowledge of Clark notwithstanding). I don't know exactly, what her role here is yet but, I'll try an keep an open mind.

Richard. I guess, I'm of the minority, cause for the most part, I actually like him. Like his movie-version, he seems like an all around nice guy, just with lousy timing.

To say, I'm excited to see the next chapter is an understatement. So, PLEASE don't keep us waiting any longer.

Thanks for the read

Comment

Originally posted by FWvidchick
                                *deep breath* Okay I am trying to forgive Clark for sleeping with Liz.. actually i don't hold it against him but it still bothers me..lol And This whole thing with the Smiths totally has me curious. And oh poor CLois..the sight of each of other..just thinking of each other is so..intense.. PPMS
                                Ditto!!!

As for the Clois reunion...thank you for the intense ogling. Especially from Clark who was rendered speechless! LOL. Update soon!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎