Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Responses

Originally posted by klandgraf2007
    Great story. Loving it already and cant wait to read more
    Well, here ya go. I'll be munching on the confidence builder for days to come, lol.

Originally posted by LoveHurts38
    I'm hooked and great job.
    Thank you.

Originally posted by FWvidchick
    This is continuing to just be absolutely excellent! but so heartbreaking.. the car crash thing had me feeling so sad and then how they both feel about each other and the break..subtle but all the emotions were there.

WOW! PPMS!
    The car crash was pretty important, of course, as to why Clark is feeling how he is feeling. I'm glad you're enjoying this especially since your stories always Rock.

Originally posted by Tiggers
    Clark: The queen size bed? Can I assume that it belongs to 'them'? LOL!
    Not exactly their bed, but sort of kept for the sake of keeping.

On a serious note, my heart broke for Clark. That whole event was tragic and how you'd depicted it, wow! Now, I understand more of his need to get away. *Lois, your man NEEDS you*
    Hopefully she'll be there soon enough.

Lois & Jimmy: Love that you paid my avi some homage, lol! I can't tell you how much I love the Lane/Olsen dynamics and seeing them interact, whether big or small, onscreen or in fics, will always be a treat for me.
    Of course this Jimmy is of the younger brother type. Though the relationship between Olsen and Lane is one I have always enjoyed.

Side note - I enjoyed the playful homage to Gable, of whom we all know Clark's name had derived from. One teensy-weensy whine, Ollie's still with......?? *must not dwell*
    I didn't know if anyone would catch that, lol. And yes, the two are still together for the sake of the story.

Questions??? - Oliver took over Bruce's spot? Where did Bruce go? Did he go UP or OUT? LOL! Can I hope that since Richard White is of the Rolodex-variety, that Bruce is Lois' current love interest and that's why he's no longer there and the reason Oliver has his spot? I know. I know. Wishful thinking, lol!
    Bruce... Bruce has some stuff going on which I cannot reveal at this time, lol. Lois is currently dating no one. I'm glad you're enjoying the story so far though.

Originally posted by Seersha
    Wow, I love this. I am enjoying the first person writing, it's a nice change of pace for me reading wise I also love what you've done with Lois and Clark so far, and am anxious to read more and see where you take this.
    I don't typically write First Person, but I hope that I can pull it off alright, lol. I'm also anxious to see where this goes.

Originally posted by bigvillir001
    wow need more like now plz
    Wish Granted. :P

Originally posted by tra42008
    Oh, Jackie, that was awesome! I loved it - I know where this story needs to go and still I'm on the edge of my seat. That's real talent. I'm practically holding my breath until these two get together - wonderful.

Happy birthday to me! That just never gets old. I'm probably going to keep saying that until this is over. It's like one of the best presents ever ... my own personal story!
    I have thought of some major plot events and I did think of telling you about them; however, I think you will enjoy the surprise!

Originally posted by imhooked
    Wow. This story is amazing. All I want to do is whine, moan and beg for the next update. Then I remind myself that I am only on chapter 1 and you just started posting yesterday. Why must your writing be so phenomenal?!?! Geesh!!!! Please put me out of my misery and post more soon. Thanks!
    No moaning necessary, lol. I'm going to print out your comment and put it on my confidence booster wall.

Originally posted by silverin100
    yhh great update......need more
    Here ya go.

Originally posted by MariVe
    He's obviously still in love with Lois, because no man will be dreaming of about his ex fiance *pout*
    Please don't tell me that Lois had a fling with Richard :O
    Well Ollie knows how to be evasive and say things that are necessary to say...

Great update, I can't wait for more
    Evasive Oliver.. who would have thought it, lol. And I think both Lois and Clark have some... left over feelings.

Originally posted by Julieta
    Can't wait to see their reunion!!! PPMS!!!!
    Me either! I haven't written it yet *gasps*.

Originally posted by TeamClois
    Thanks for the speedy update, Jackie! And for bringing back Jimmy Olsen!!!! *does cartwheels* I hadn't expected to see him so soon so this was a real treat.

I also enjoed Lollie's conversation and hope that by Lois contacting Richard for a favor, it means she'll be heading to Smallville by way of his airplane. *cross fingers* I know we're ony one chapter in, but I'm anxious for a Clois reunion.

Update soon!
    Clois reunion will come on the next chapter... maybe... or maybe not.

Originally posted by cygnusx1
    i just found this story and i like the idea that they split but it sounds like he never got over it

I like how you wrote about his attempt to move on in a physical sense with another woman but her memory keeps holding him back

Oliver is written the way i like to write him which is as the good friend

Lois looks to have moved on but she is rightfully concerned because she hasn't been able to keep tabs on him through print. I like that see is going to see him

looking forward to the next update
    I wondered how I was going to set this up, but I decided that the best way to do it was to put out there that the two hadn't seen each other since... the breakup. That doesn't mean that Lois would abandon him either. I'll get into that more in later chapters, but Superman is news and Lois is all about the story.

Originally posted by cathy14
    Fabulous, jackie. And i have to tell you i'm loivng the first person narrative. Very different from most works around here and i think is a good change too. I know i'm enjoying

OMG poor Clark. Lois, go to him and be by his side because he needs you so much righ now. I'm still curious about some facts and relationship but i'm sure in due time we'll know all about it
    Decided against Third Person, even though I am more comfortable with it. I think it works for the story. Especially since we will get to feel closer to the characters come reunion time.

~Chapter 2~

June 25, 2020

Smallville
    Clark

I was up by 5, but this time it wasn't due to me not being able to sleep... thankfully. I had chores, quite a few, and I didn't want to waste time. The barn, I briefly wondered how many times I had repaired it, was my first stop.

During my initial scout of the property I had noticed one item that needed to be set in place. It was a solid wood board and on it read KENT FARM. It was simple, worn down, but more than anything it was symbolic.

Everyone who crossed the threshold of the farm knew where they were going, knew that the family there would be hospitable, welcoming. Normal.

I stepped into the barn, moving aside various debris and junk. And looking back I should have x-rayed the damn place first. Smallville was the landing zone for all the Kryptonite and if I hadn't been so intent on not using my powers I would have saved myself some pain.

Some literal, God-awful, pain.

Seven steps into the barn and I stumbled, hit my knees and clutched an arm around my stomach. My teeth clenched as I felt the burning in my blood and my gut. Kryptonite. Green. I should have x-rayed the place first.

And it was somewhere in the damn barn.

My parents weren't there to save me this time, but I had learned a few tricks over the years. I went to my back, focused on the pain only so I could determine the direction of the Kryptonite. Somewhere to my left.

I used my elbow to roll to the right. Five inches... the pain didn't let up, but I repeated the move. Ten. It lessened, but barely. Fifteen and I could feel some of my strength returning. Twenty and I was on my feet, out of the barn.

I went to my knees, drawing in gasps of air. It had felt like an eternity since the last time I had encountered Kryptonite, even though it had been less than a month ago. “Foolish.” I muttered to myself, tossing a glance back towards the barn.

I still wasn't thinking ahead. “Same mistakes...” Because I had felt so safe in my old home. And, Ironically, I think Smallville was one of the most dangerous towns I had ever been in. Home Base of the Meteor Infected.

When my body returned to normal, the dull ache giving way to a steady heat, I stalked towards the house.

I only had three suitcases with me, but there was one in particular I went for. Trinkets. A bag full of them. From devices that Bruce had given me to Kryptonian artifacts I had found over the years. I pushed aside globes, crystals, electronics until I found what I was looking for. A thin lead box. I popped it open to pull out the bracelet inside. It glowed blue.

I wasn't afraid of Kryptonite, because it had been an obstacle that I had had years to overcome, but I wasn't reckless around it either. I snapped the metal bracelet onto my wrist, felt my body temperature lower. I felt... human. Which made me wondered why I hadn't done this before during my phase of insomnia.

Because it's a feeling you get addicted to. It's not really you. That voice, the one that keeps me grounded, spoke up. It's presence had been MIA for quite some time, which meant that I was getting better.

No anger. No drowsiness. When I had woke up this morning I felt like myself.

Which was why I was going to go back to that barn, find the Kryptonite, destroy it... and hang up that sign. It took longer doing it the normal way, but the satisfaction that comes with a job well done was gratifying.

I was walking back towards the barn when my cell rang. Day two, almost noon, and it was my first call of the day. This time it was a call I had been expecting. Without delay I answered.

I'll be there in two days.” And that was it. I hadn't even said hi, bye, or kiss my ass before the other person hung up.

Leave it to Wayne to get right down to business. “Oh yeah. I'll cook dinner. We'll make a thing of it.” I spoke through the silence, despite the fact that no one was on the line to hear it, then I shoved the phone into my pocket.

No one knew what I had planned except Bruce and I trusted him to keep this from getting to the ears of the other League members. It wasn't that I didn't trust them, but I had a feeling they would try and stop what was coming.

My steps didn't falter as I continued towards the barn, to the green rocks that were spread on the ground. All the Kryptonite I could find in the vicinity... which had been an alarming amount.

What were the previous home owners up to?

I snapped the bracelet off my wrist, rooted my feet into the ground. This was as close as I could get without feeling the effects. Six feet and four inches. My hand released the blue Kryptonite and it fell to the dirt.

Heat built up behind my eyes, in my eyes until it became so explosive I had to let it go. I destroyed one piece after another, annihilated them into ash. Funny... the one item that could kill me was something that I had to focus all my effort on to destroy.

And as soon as it was over I put the bracelet back on and walked forward.

Metropolis
    Lois

There was an airfield not far from Metropolis General. It was where I was going to depart from. Privately owned, but bi-planes left there hourly. My eyes went to my watch, checking the time. I had twenty minutes, which meant that this encounter would have to be quick.

I knocked on the door as I opened it, the sterile smell of the room almost nauseating. I hated hospitals, but I had also spent a fair share of time in them. “Lane! Get me out of here! The nurses.... they're out to get me.” Apparently, Perry shared my dislike. He hissed the last part, like there was some sort of conspiracy.

“Chief, I couldn't get you out of here even if I wanted to. They've posted a guard for crying out loud. Nurse Helga is outside with her stethoscope.” I'm not sure if his sudden fearful expression was fake or real.

“Dear Lord!” Perry exclaimed, then shifted into his editor mode. A subtle change which caused his eyes to become clearer and wrinkles to appear next to them. “Tell me you have a Superman story.”

“That's why I'm here. I have to go find out first.”

“You're acting Chief right now, Lane.” Meaning... who did you leave in charge? I would have told him, but the poor man had just fixed his ticker. And I wasn't going to be the cause of him having an extended stay.

“I don't trust anyone else with this, Perry.” Because no one could know that I was going to the source... if I could ever find him. Perry seemed to accept this, his eyes narrowing in thought then returning to their normal state.

“Well...” He paused, seemed to consider his words carefully. “You haven't let me down yet, Lois. When will you be back?” I have no idea.

But instead I said, “Within a week. If I get something I'll send it to you first, hospital or not.” This satisfied him, though I knew he wasn't entirely happy about me leaving the Daily Planet. Especially since he probably knew who I had put in charge.

“That's my lead reporter. I want a call tomorrow and the day after.. you get the idea.” I nodded, started out the door. “And you better take someone with you!”

“Taken care of. She'll be in good hands.” I heard his voice before I saw him, threw him a look across my shoulder. He was quite handsome and had always been a charmer.

“Richard.” Perry smiled, addressing the newcomer. I knew he was smiling because the man had been trying for years to set us up together and the fact that Richard had been the man I called was a small sign of hope. I don't think he understood that it was a moot point. Dating wasn't on my agenda and hadn't been for.. for a long time.

Heck.. I was about to track down the object of my affections with my matchmaker's choice in tow. I had never been on to think first, act later.

“Hello, Uncle Perry.” They shook hands and I made my way into the hallway unnoticed. Hopefully my absence would speed up their goodbyes.

While I was sitting in the hall I thought back to the first time I had met Richard, three years ago when Perry had made his first trip to the hospital. A mild heart attack.

Chief didn't have much in the way of family, but his nephew was loyal and had made an appearance. It had been then that Perry got the crazy idea that the two of us belonged together.

You like flying.” He had said. Little did Perry know that I enjoyed a different type of flight.

The kind where you weren't locked into a metal contraption. And though it only happened once in a virtual world I had never forgotten how it felt.

I was shaken from my moment in the past as Richard touched my shoulder. I hadn't even realized he was standing next to me. Of course my memories always did seem to carry me away to better times.

No, Lane. You're one of the best reporters the Daily Planet has. You've climbed your way to the top without standing in hisway. And now I'm going to face the man I had turned down almost ten years ago. The man I had watched from afar do what he was destined to do.

And I've printed some of the greatest Superman stories any reporter has dared to print.

“Ready?” Richard shot me a grin, moved his hand off my shoulder only to hold it out for me to grasp. I didn't hesitate to slide my hand into his own. Maybe I had made a mistake in never taking him up on his offers, but I wasn't about to do so now... not with my mind and heart in states of emotional turmoil.

“As ready as I will ever be.” Side by side we made our way out of the hospital.

It wasn't until we were about to board his Bi-Plane that he spoke up again. “Perry has a lot of respect for you.” That grin never faltered. And I would be lying if I said it wasn't infectious.

“It's mutual. He's a great Chief. Fair and he knows what the people want.”

“I don't doubt it. But that paper is going to drive him to his grave if he keeps this up. On the other side... I do get to see you when he gets his checkups.” Richard winked at me, handed me a helmet equipped with ear protection. “He asked me who was going to visit him if we're both out of town.”

“Olsen is tasked with sneaking in coffee on a daily basis. I doubt Perry will even notice that I'm gone.” Richard laughed and started fiddling with the dials. “I appreciate this Richard.”

“I hope so because you're taking me out to dinner after we land, Miss Lane.” I laughed, despite the fact that when he used that name my heart started to ache.

Focus, Lane. I grasped for it.

Author's Note: Of course I have decided for short chapters and quick updates. A typical update is 4 pages in word. If at any point I decided that a longer chapter would be more welcomed by readers then I will change it. Just let me know. :P

Comment

I love long chapters but I don't mind shorter oes if the updates are regular... so its whatever you want to do is my policy.

and I love this.. aww.. I feel just again so sad that Clois got like this..that Clark is ready to retire, he shouldn't be.. he wouldn't be if he and Lois hadn't seperated. Gah! They are killing me..but I am glad Lois is going to go see him.. but how will she do this with Richard along?

And is Smallville and Metropolis in your story pretty far away because I see this 'flight' stuff and i feel confused.

Oh PPMS I am dyin here!

Comment

I don't know if it's because I was listening to Lifehouse's "Everything" when I read this but this chapter seemed so powerful. You could really tell that Lois hasn't seen ANYONE and to have to report on Superman - after giving him up to the world - gah, I could have read an entire chapter on the angst alone!

And I LOVE the fact that you have Clark dealing with Kryptonite right before his other "kryptonite" comes to visit - I don't know if that was intentional but the paralells in these chapters are awesome.

From my perspective, short and fast are just as good as long and slow. As long as there is more ...

Comment

Loved the update!! Short and quick vs long updates???.....hmmmm, I think either way I'll be going crazy until the new update comes out. So whatever you want to do is fine with me.

Comment

wow great update more

Comment

Short and quick updates Great chapter!!
              It's so sad what happended between them

Comment

I need more..ppms

Comment

Whoa there. Lois is single? Didn't see that coming, lol!

Thanks, for answering my questions. So, NO Brois? *shucks* What? If you're going to write Clark getting his rocks off with some bimbo, why the heck not? LOL! Seriously though, I don't mind it at all. It's just bittersweet that throughout the 9 years, Lois had remained loyal to her heart.

@tra42008: In relation to Clark and Kryptonite? I associate his weakness from that to that of Lana, while his strength from the yellow sun goes hand in hand with Lois. Of course, we all knew that, right

Thanks, for the update!

Comment

love this update.....i want them to meet already

Comment

Please add me to your list of readers! Thank you for updating. I'm enjoying your story.

Comment

Thanks for update.

Comment

Amazing, Jackie!
                          Love to see Clark dealing with kriptonite with his brains hehehe it was always fun to watch how differently Clark and Kara dealed with the green rock, because she always found a way out of it but he never... he always surrender. It was good to see that over the years he learned to be 'wiser' than the green rock

Personaly i don't mind Lois and Clark having relationships with other people since they're single and not together anymore. That being said, i liked to know that Lois didn't have any kind of relationship since she broke up with Clark, because it was clear that the reason why she broke up with him wasn't lack of love. On the contrary. So of course she would never have any kind of relationship because she kept loving him all this time.

Yeah, he never stopped loving her either but he was the one 'dumped' and by the look of it, she kept a good distance from him over the years so is only natural that he tried to move on with his life somehow... At least as much as he could, huh?

I didn't realised it untill this chpater but seems that Clark doesn't work at the DP for a long time, right? Probably since the break up.

I can't wait for her to meet him at the farm. They must find their way to each other again and fast

Oh and about the updates i don't mind long chapters but i don't mind short ones with frequent updates either. So, whatever you feel is better for the story

Comment

Originally posted by mz-supermanfan
                            Clois reunion will come on the next chapter... maybe... or maybe not.

Author's Note: Of course I have decided for short chapters and quick updates. A typical update is 4 pages in word. If at any point I decided that a longer chapter would be more welcomed by readers then I will change it. Just let me know. :P
                            Jackie, your comment above was pure evil! So please don't tease me now. I need a Cloisy chapter ASAP!!!

As for a lengthy chapter, you know I could never resist! But I also don't mind shorter chapters if it means we'll get quicker updates. I'll be a happy camper either way - I just want Clois together in the same room...preferrably ogling each other with longing in their eyes. You get the idea. Hehe.

In the meantime, I'm really enjoyed your latest chapter. Lois buying Richard dinner in return for flying her to *whispers* Smallville, I can live with. Just get her back to Clark pronto!

And please, update soon!!!

Comment

Just found this gem today. I love the premise of your story. I'll take updates anyway I can get them. I'm excited for this story.

Comment

Uhhgg I can't handle Richard presence.... Lois what are you doing?? you don't like the guy, you are still in love with Clark.
                                Yep!!! Clark is hanging up the cape, you can feel it, he's tired and feels alone

Great update, I love it PPMS!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎