X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loved the update!
    I'm glad you're updating faster!
    Ppms

Comment

oh god, can those pipes leak for a little longer?? i'm loving this.

Comment

Adorable! I missed a couple updates, and loved them both! PPMS!!!

Comment

You're right, Jackie! I enjoyed this chapter immensely! And ooh...the thought of Clark waking up with Lois in his arms...*sighing* Thank goodness for leaky pipes.

Comment

Part 5

Originally posted by TeamClois
            You're right, Jackie! I enjoyed this chapter immensely! And ooh...the thought of Clark waking up with Lois in his arms...*sighing* Thank goodness for leaky pipes.
            Going to balance a wonderful moment with an angsty one. Don't be angry with me. :P

Originally posted by Miray
            Adorable! I missed a couple updates, and loved them both! PPMS!!!
            Glad you enjoyed and here's an update!

Originally posted by sunny j
            oh god, can those pipes leak for a little longer?? i'm loving this.
            Unfortunately we don't get to see much of Lois' stay, but the drama continues.

Originally posted by TheCloisLover
            Loved the update!
            I'm glad you're updating faster!
            Ppms
            I'm trying. :P Updated!

Originally posted by AnneBoleyn
            Wow I LOVED this latest update! Clark's little inner monologue was hilarious!! Loved how wrapped up in Clark lois was=]
            Balancing the humor with angst, as before.. don't be too angry.

Originally posted by MariVe
            Oh God!!! that was perfect, they slept in the same bed and I loved the morning after, Clark discomfort but excitement was just to sweet for words and Clark Jr. definitely wanted to say good morning

I can't wait to see, what changes and revelations are going to happen in the incoming days!!!

Great update!! PPMS...
            Got a revelation coming up! I wanted CK jr to say good morning too (but it's PG-13 ... ) and I don't think they are ready... yet.

Originally posted by tra42008
            What a great update. I love your Clark's inner thinking.
            Updated! More inner thinking.

Originally posted by Lane Kent
            Lol this story had me laughing so hard sometimes ... I cannot read this in public anymore... They will take me to crazy house lol
            This chapter is not as funny, but I'm hoping you will not cause the public much harm.

Originally posted by cathy14
            Oh Jackie, i'm so in love with this story
            The last updates were simply amazing!!! We had a kiss (they need to do it again ), the Lane-Kent team in an undercover investigation - Clark's intimidation's techniques cracked me up, i mean "we can do this the easy way or the hard way" and he talking about himself on the third person is a classic - and they spent the night together !!! And she'll stay with him the whole weekend!!!! How great is that?!?!?!
            Thank you, thank you. An update for ya!

Originally posted by Jenni
            loved that chapter!
            Hope you love the next one as well.

Originally posted by FWvidchick
            Awwwwwwwwww.. Very sweet. and awkward for Clark. But I love it and with that I am going to bed with Happy Clois thoughts
            There must be a balance... though I'm looking forward to developing the story.

Originally posted by Schatzie
            He's sooooo in love with her already! That was a great update - I love the ways you're exploring to have them get to know each other and unfold the story. Love it.

Love it.
            Updated and thank you!

Originally posted by KatherineKent
            As always, great. Clark is really falling for her hard. And Lois is conflicted. She knows she likes him and relys on him, but she can feel that there is something he is hiding. Hope he tells her soon.
            I hope so too because I don't want to write any more parts like this one... you'll see what I mean.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clark Kent's Apartment
            11 September 2011

8:58 PM

Lois had her suspicions. As she and Clark walked into his apartment she glared at his back. The thing he was hiding was big. Two nights she had stayed with him and both nights he had vanished for hours.

In her journal she made notes of when he had left, what excuse he had used and what she thought he was up to. Maybe it wasn't fair of her to watch him this way, but his own words came back to her. “We're partners.” And she was bound and determined to find out what her partner was hiding.

It wasn't something selfish, which made it all the more difficult for her to entertain the idea of putting him under Mad Dog Lane's surveillance. The whole 'project' had begun yesterday. They were at work, exchanging their typical banter when he had become distant, looking towards a window.

A frown had appeared on his face and then he turned to her, stated that he was going to go and grab them some coffee. The good kind from the shop down the street rather than the coffee offered at the Planet's break area.

It was then that his secret became a priority. It took him an hour to get her coffee, a trip that should have taken at most thirty minutes and when he finally did arrive he looked winded. What was he doing?

Maybe he picked up another job and things came up while he was
            supposed to be working with her.

Maybe he was seeing... someone. That would explain the nighttime errands, but during the day... Clark didn't seem like the type to ditch work for a woman.

Then there were the few Superman stories that he had the by-line to, yet he never said anything to her about them.
            You have your own stories, Lane. But these were Superman stories! The ones that everyone bought the Daily Planet to read.

How did someone get a Superman exclusive?

On the walk home – To Clark's apartment, she corrected herself – she reached a conclusion. Finally fitting the jigsaw pieces together.

Clark Kent was meeting with Superman. It wasn't as though Clark could tell her when he was going to meet with him because it would compromise Superman's faith in him.

And Lois Lane believed that there were few things that Clark Kent would lie about. He was raised with morals and she found it hard to believe that one of those values didn't include honesty.

The door shut behind her, startling her out of the revelation. She had to confront Clark about it. Since he wasn't open with her, it seemed the best position to take. And she had to do it now. Just as she set her purse down on the kitchen counter she turned to face him, even as he was walking towards his bedroom.

“How does he reach you?” Clark stilled, having only made it halfway through the living room then turned at Lois' question, a brow arched. Who exactly was she referring to?

“Who?” His question came out tentatively. Lois had that... determination in her eyes and it set him on edge.

“Superman. How does he reach you?” Fear gripped him, but only for a moment. Why was she so interested all of a sudden and how did she even jump to
            this conclusion.

He knew he should redirect the conversation, deny it, but the questions left his mouth before he could stop them. “What? Why do you think he is contacting me?”

“Because you're always there, Clark. It's the only explanation. Superman is contacting you somehow.” She was closer to the truth than she realized, but Clark couldn't open his mouth and say three simple words.
            I am Superman. He couldn't.

His whole life he kept this secret, kept it from others so they wouldn't be hurt, so he wouldn't be ostracized. How honest could he be?

“You can't print this, Lois... what I'm about to tell you.” He chose his words carefully. This was something she wouldn't drop, wouldn't let go of until she had answers. All he could give her were... vague answers. “Superman and I... we know one another.”

She pressed on, despite the unsaid plea in his eyes. She knew he didn't want to have this conversation, almost considered dropping the subject. But she couldn't. It was something that kept them apart and now it was time that she had answers. “That's obvious. I'm not asking for his identity, Clark... I just want to know how he contacts you.”

“I honestly can't tell you. I just... know when he's needed.” So far he hadn't exactly lied.

“That's it? You just know? How?” Because I am Superman and I can hear screams, sirens, and alarms from miles away. He didn't vocalize his thoughts, his mental image from the other night coming back to haunt him. Lois would be hurt by the truth... could get hurt by others just knowing of his powers.

“I... I-” The phone rang and he grasped at the distraction, the receiving in his hand. “Kent.”

Clark, I need your help. Jimmy is missing.” Chloe sounded distraught and Clark... Clark felt a mixture of relief and worry. Relief that his conversation with Lois would be delayed and worry that it was because of a more pressing matter.

“How long has he been gone?” Lois was stepping away from the counter, approaching Clark as he continued talking to Chloe. “I'll be over soon.” He set the receiver down, not even turning to face Lois as he stated, “You should stay with your cousin tonight. Jimmy is missing.”

And I have to find him.

“We'll finish this later.” He didn't respond to her comment, just released a sigh. “I'll get my car.” She added and he winced when he heard the slam of the door.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The subject didn't come up again while they took the short drive to Chloe's place and for that Clark was grateful. On the other side was Lois' agitation. The distanced he had feared would come between then was already occurring, widening and he knew that only the truth could bridge the gap.

A truth he couldn't tell her.

Chloe greeted them at the door, her eyes puffy from crying. Lois was there first, hugging her, asking all the basic questions. Were the cops called? Where had he been? How long had he been gone? Through it all Chloe spared a few glances at Clark over her cousin's shoulder.

A silent message passed between them.
            I'll do everything I can to find him.

I know you will, Clark.
            She didn't have to voice it. Lois was there for her comfort, Clark was there for information.

“Suicide Slums? Why was he there?”

“He was supposed to meet someone to exchange photos. He'd caught some Intergang deals on film and normally he does this kind of thing. It usually goes down without any issues, but he was supposed to be back hours ago. I'm worried that the person he was supposed to meet has set him up.” Chloe gave as much information as she had, trying to push aside her distress.

“I'll go, see what I can find.” Clark stated after a moment, receiving a sharp look from Lois.

“We can go.” She corrected, already heading towards the door. He was shaking his head, his hand reaching out and catching her shoulder. Her glare would have been deadly if he was a mortal man.

“If they're after Jimmy then someone needs to stay with Chloe. I'm not trying to get a story here, Lois, I'm trying to find my friend and your cousin needs you here.” The only time he could get her to see reason was when he used logic. This was one of those situations where he didn't want to waste time arguing.

“I know the area better than you.”
            No, you don't.

“I'm not going to argue about this with you. You're not coming.” For a split second he used a more intimidating tone, the one he reserved for Superman. Lois' anger made her blind to the slip-up.

“Clark's right, Lois. I need you here.” Chloe turned to face Clark. “You find him for me, Clark.” He nodded, heading towards the door before either of the females could say anything further.

Lois was fuming, trying to hide her anger from her cousin even though it was an unsuccessful attempt. She should be focused, help console Chloe, assure her that Clark would find Jimmy.

Or should she say Superman. The truth was always right in front of her. Dangling inches away from her face. Clark's vanishing acts, his hero complex. He wasn't out meeting Superman, he was out
            being Superman.

She had heard him at conferences before, had heard him talk with the most authoritative tone she had ever heard. The same tone Clark had used earlier.

And it hurt. It hurt to think he had lied to her so blatantly. She didn't doubt that he had his reasons, but they were friends, good friends and when she confronted him about it earlier he could have told her the truth. It hurt to think that he didn't trust her.
            Like you trusted him? You're a hypocrite, Lane.

Did Chloe know? Lois shot a sideways glance towards her cousin. Now wasn't the time to drill her, despite the answer to that question. It now made sense for Chloe to call Clark. Chloe didn't call Lois, even though Lois had been able to dig up information in the city for years, because Clark Kent was Superman.

And when he got back she was going to prove it, one way or another.

One of the few things Clark hated was walking through lead lined pipes. After questioning every street thug he encountered he had found that Jimmy had been taken underground.

His time was limited. From what he could gather whoever had taken Jimmy had only done so with the intention of killing him. Clark paused, bracing himself against a wall as he focused his hearing. If he could hear Jimmy then the task would be a lot easier.

The real reason he was toning down his super-speed was because of the lead. Lead concealed Kryptonite. The chances of a gang of thugs having their hands on something so powerful was unlikely, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Intergang, tied to LuthorCorp, had some of the companies hand-me-downs from previous experiments.

Another twenty minutes of walking and Clark finally heard voices. Voices and one muffled shout. Excited, he darted forward, the tunnel opening into a dome-like room. And in the center, tied to a chair was Jimmy.

He was alive, bleeding from scrapes, cuts on his face, a gash on his forehead, but at least he was alive. Bruises were already forming on his face and Clark didn't have to look to know that his chest wasn't much better.

This wasn't entirely the work of petty criminals, but Clark didn't want to stick around to find out the full story. He was there for one purpose and one purpose only. Get Jimmy and go.

“It's Superman!” Someone shouted and then the guns started going off. Clark zoomed around, catching the rounds, dropping them to his feet. Another moment and he tied up all the criminals he could see. His hands caught the gag in Jimmy's mouth, moving it so he was free to talk.

What he said wasn't what Clark was expecting. “Look out!”

The air suddenly tinted with blue, small particles that glowed dancing around him. Someone laughed behind him and Clark turned, away from Jimmy to face the culprit.

The item in his hand looked like a can of mace, but what was inside was much more powerful than pepper spray. Atomized blue Kryptonite.

Clark may not have had his strength or his speed, but he was only facing one guy. With a swift right hook Clark struck the man in the jaw, downing him with the hit. His fist stung, but he ignored it, looking around for a knife to cut the ropes on Jimmy.

He was powerless and they had miles to travel in the tunnels. Time was still running out.

After cutting Jimmy free the photographer looked up, asking simply. “You alright, CK?” CK? Clark was dressed as Superman.

Clark didn't look back, trying to focus on going the right direction. “How long have you known?”

“Chloe didn't say anything if that's what you're wondering. I've known for a few weeks now.”

“You think somethings a secret..” Clark trailed off, the humor in his words fading as he finally got a good glimpse of Jimmy's condition. He was staggering, breathing unevenly. Clark assumed that he had broken ribs.

“Jimmy. Stay with me.” He put his arm under Jimmy, using himself as a crutch. It was going to be a long night. Clark's mind was occupied with other matters. The enemy had known how to disable him and for the next few days it would be on the rumor mill that Superman is out of commission.

He was going to have to sweat the Kryptonite out of his system, which at the rate they were going would be sooner rather than later.

One hour of walking and they found an exit. Clark had to make the calls, Jimmy practically collapsing after they made it to the surface. An ambulance then Chloe.

He changed clothes before anyone arrived, unwilling to be seen in the suit while he was without his powers. As soon as they made it to the hospital, Chloe and Lois tracked them down. Chloe's overenthusiastic hug was tighter than his strained muscles could stand. “Take it easy, Chloe. I'm sore.” Lois snorted behind them.

“Thank you. I knew you would find him.” Her voice dropped, so low that only Clark could hear her. “Did something happen to you?”

“I'll tell you later. Go.” He urged her into Jimmy's hospital room, leaving him alone with Lois.

She was glaring at him, several emotions playing over her face. “Lois?” He asked tentatively, not even having time to move before she swung her fist.

Lois wasn't sure why she had chosen that method, but she blamed it on her blood. The well known Lane impulsiveness. Mid-swing she realized how stupid a choice it was. It wouldn't hurt him, it would just hurt
            her.

But then she connected with flesh and Clark fell back against the wall, a stunned look on his face. “What the hell was that for?” He asked, shocked. Blood dripped from the corner of his lip. Her hand wasn't broken, simply stinging from the punch.

Superman didn't bleed.

Clark Kent couldn't be Superman, Lois reevaluated. “You're... you're not him.” Him.
            Always about Superman.

“You punched me because you thought I was Superman. Lois, do you realize that if it was true you would have shattered your hand? What were you thinking?” He shifted between anger and concern, reaching out to clasp her still clenched fist, his thumb running across her knuckles.

His jaw ached, but he pushed it aside. Pain was temporary, but this, her unrelenting suspicion of him, was almost too much to take. She didn't trust him because he didn't trust her. He knew she was aware of that, had been blind to recognizing the pain it caused her.

Every lie, every excuse. Was he destined to do this forever?
            Chloe and Jimmy both know. He tried to reason, but then the other side, And look where Jimmy is?

“I'm sorry.” She whispered, tears filling her eyes. He couldn't bear to see her cry. What he would give to wonder what was going through her head.

“No. I'm sorry... for not trusting you enough.” He used the corner of his sleeve to wipe away the blood, what it represented. Physical proof to her of what he wasn't. Even though he was.

She continued on as if she hadn't heard him. “I shouldn't have pushed you. You have your reasons. I know you're a good person I just...”
            Can't get past this. This secret... whatever it was. She started babbling and Clark was torn between what he should say and what he must say.

“Now you know.” His voice was flat. He felt sick to his stomach, was worried that he actually would vomit in his condition. Human. Without a backward glance he started moving, leaving her standing in the hallway. The hardest thing he could do was leave her.

Comment

Ughhh!!!! That big moron!!!!!! I hate it that he can't just be honest with her. The moment Lois decide to just give up on him. on everything, is the moment he will realize how thickheaded and stupid he has been...
              She connected the dots and even though he was powerless, he could had been honest with her, but no!!! he just lied to her again and made himself the victim.... MEN!!!!

I'm livid right now, I need an update to pass my anger toward Mr. Moron *pout*
              And see what's going to happen now...
              Last edited by MariVe; 05-22-2011, 05:19 PM.

Comment

OMG! CLARK U IDIOT! I mean I get it.. after what happened o Jimmy he's not willing ot put her in that situation but how the heck does he ever expect to have any real realtionships if he doesn't trust?!

GGARR.. Now what they are back at square one again? this stinks..now how long will it take to get another kiss?! *pouts* lol

Good stuff tho.. I am interested in seeing where this intergang stuff goes and who it was that kidnapped jimmy and how they know Supes weakness or that Jimmy even knows him.

PPMS!

Comment

Ugh! No, not the angst! I was hoping for more Clois bedroom scenes or maybe even some pillow talk, but this...OMG! What's Superman to do? Being stuck between a rock (a blue meteor rock) and a hard place with Lois.

And all it really boils down to is honesty. *bows head* As much as I'd wished Clark would've told Lois the truth right then and there, I understand his reasons. I'm just hoping they could get passed all of this once the dust settles.
                  Last edited by TeamClois; 05-23-2011, 04:29 AM.

Comment

oh what a way to leave us hanging.....just got caught up with all the wonderful updates

Comment

Aaaarrrgh! Why can't Clark be honest just for once!? He can be so blind! Anyway, I'm sure you won't let it that way for much longer... Another great update (as much as Clark can be fustrating, you can't have a story without conflicts! lol!) and I'm still looking foward to the next chapter! Post more soon!!

Comment

Alright Clark ... Man up !! Lois can handle it ... Is he deaf that I have to yell at him all the time lol

Comment

Ah, it was a great update. I'm not going to give you any grief because, while I'm as frustrated with Clark as everyone else, it's not the right time. Besides, his reluctance is believable and it works here...

In addition, it means more updates - yeah!

Comment

I'm in love with this story!!

Comment

wow you are a fast writer/poster, I just caught up! Keep 'em coming!

Comment

I agree with everyone. Great update. Clever way to trick Lois into believing her suspicions were wrong, after making us think he'd confirm it after Jimmy found out. Now you've extended the shelf-life of the secret and upped the emotional investment and tension. I like it when an author gets sneaky.

Can't wait for the next installment.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎