No announcement yet.

I don't understand the hype

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BadToad
    Lots of stuff on twitter. From SV crew, from publicists for the CW, and WB. Then there were several advance reviews, all glowing. One person said that the episode contained the best Clois scene ever.

For a SV ep, there was a lot of hype. And hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think it might have impacted expectations. JMO
    It's always a bad thing when people over hype things, almost always ends up having the opposite effect for the fans who've been anticipating something great..

Oh well.

Comment

Idk, episode was alright to me. Entertaining. I honestly don't see where all this 'hype' stemmed from. Perhaps I need to lurk these forums more, but it just seems like the usual, 'some people hate it, some people love it, some people are in-between' type of episode to me. Personally, I really think they didn't really NEED to add any more superheroes, or introduced any of 'em. They pulled off Clark's progression....decently enough (I use this term with a grain of salt as this should've been an issue dealt with YEARS AGO!!!!) and Booster Gold did add certain things to Clark's development...but I can definitely see why people would hate this episode.

Comment

MOD NOTE: Please stay on topic and do not feed trolls. If you see a problem post just report it - do not response to it in the thread at all, otherwise you will get the same consequence as the original poster of the problem post because you are perpetuating it! This serves as your warning.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
          I think all the hype comes from Geoff Johns writing the episode just like with the other episodes he wrote. Personally, I'd rather have episodes featuring Clark than some new super heroes brought in to take Clark's hero thunder, but that's me.
          That's what I liked about Booster... it was almost a parody of those other episodes having Booster literally try to do just that and for once having it not work! Clark came off looking really good in this episode, like a real hero and Booster was show well in his own right.

Comment

Originally posted by tessmerceryoubamf
            I don't understand the deal with this episode either. Everyone's like promoting it like it's a good episode, web columnists, an advance review from this site..and then I watch the episode and it's like, eh? that's it. Eric Mastoff as booster gold I give him that, he was fantastic. The whole episode though? no.

I thought it was an ok episode during an ok season. The show is definitely showing its age and could have used more semi-regulars this season. No one hates to see a favorite show go off the air and the belief is even avg. S'ville is better than no S'ville, but I'm glad it's going off. Hopefully on top. Lex Luthor lives!

Comment

Originally posted by BadToad
              Lots of stuff on twitter. From SV crew, from publicists for the CW, and WB. Then there were several advance reviews, all glowing. One person said that the episode contained the best Clois scene ever.

For a SV ep, there was a lot of hype. And hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think it might have impacted expectations. JMO
              I didn't know that was going on before the epsiode aired. I guess it did have some hype behind it.

I can't say if it did or didn't live up to the hype since I didn't know there was hype to begin with. All I know is, the epsiode exceeded my expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by Anu
                Do you?
                I just dont get involved in it. Then i can never be disappointed

Comment

yup, its really up there on the overrated list, together with homecoming IMO.

it would be an OK campy episode for saturday morning children's TV, but not what I would expect of smallville so late in the game.

Comment

Because it was Geoff Johns that had enough hype for it there also seems to be an underlining thing going on in which DC fans want to see more characters in live action and Smallville provided the venue for many.

I think the superhero episodes fit in with Smallville since the beginning it was not that serious a show and Superman is one of those characters to have constant guest stars in his stories.

Comment

I thought that the casting of Booster Gold was really well done. Imo he was like a cross between Ryan Renolds and Jim Carey, but Jaime and the Blue Beetle storyline didn't really work that well for me. The parallel that was supposed to draw with where Clark has been in his life was pretty much summed up in the first scene when Clark first sees him and there were a couple of places where I could definitely sense a missing scene with Jaime (like the first time he gets attacked by the beetle). I enjoyed the Lois/Cat storyline, and even the Clark/Lois stuff, but this was just a fun episode, not the amazing episode that interviews and advanced reviews were making it sound like. I thought something exciting was going to happen, like Clark was going to fly or something. The phone booth thing was cool, but I felt it was a little anticlimatic when Clark never did anything after he changed, just suited up to stand in the shadows and not help as Booster is getting choked out. I went in with pretty low expectations and it was more entertaining than I expected, but it wasn't like a second Homecoming or something.

Comment

I don't really pay much attention to the hype because I'm not really a person who loves Smallville anymore. I think the hype comes from people who love the show so obviously I am going to have a differing opinion 99% of the time when it comes to what is good about it.

Comment

I hate this cheesy season, bring Lex back already!

Comment

Somewhere along the way this show went from being about well-crafted characters to almost making them into live-action cartoons. I noticed it when they reaired the pilot. Before there were all these nuances in the setting and wardrobe. Heck the cast actually had a wardrobe and if color mattered it was done subtly. Now all of that nuance is gone and it's like everything has been amped up in a cartoonish way. I'm not entirely sure when that started.

Comment

Well, I notice that with the addition of costumed heroes, but that's about it. I would expect that, given that we're talking about a show where the main character is transitioning in to a costumed super hero. I think they've done a good job of making the suits believable.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
                                I think all the hype comes from Geoff Johns writing the episode just like with the other episodes he wrote. Personally, I'd rather have episodes featuring Clark than some new super heroes brought in to take Clark's hero thunder, but that's me.
                                It does seem to me that at this part of the series, the epic ending of a 10 year drama, they really should stop with the "MOTW"ized episodes and focus on the main characters, the main story arc, and writing in more time for the classics like Zod/Kara/Lois/Perry and--- AGH! sorry mentioning classic characters just gave me a brain-ache when I remembered...

[POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT BELOW!!!!*******]

...Jimmy.

Ouch, for shame on that one Smallville, really dug yourself a grave. Oh hehe, look at me I made a funny.

^_^

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎