Television Ratings for "Scion"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had Scion aired during the February sweeps, the rating would have been higher, but the network pushed the latest batch of episodes one week because of the reruns of Vampire Diaries and Nikita.

Comment

Originally posted by vantheman77
      Had Scion aired during the February sweeps, the rating would have been higher, but the network pushed the latest batch of episodes one week because of the reruns of Vampire Diaries and Nikita.
      I agree. That whole situation changed the game for the show, IMO, ratings-wise. I just hope that Smallville does in fact return on April 15th... and that if it doesn't, we are made aware of that fact at least a week in advance.

Comment

The sweeps don't have anything to do with the number of people who will watch...it's more that the advertisers look at the ratings/demos (moreso the demos) in order to rate the amount they'll pay for ad space for those shows.

Usually, to draw in more viewers, networks save big "events" for their shows, advertise/market like rabid dogs, and try to basically put their best foot forward. If any more viewers are attracted than those who normally show up, then that's good. But just b/c it's sweeps doesn't automatically mean that the shows have hundreds of thousands of extra viewers who just decided "It's sweeps, let's sit on the couch and watch TV tonight".

The ratings for Scion more than likely have absolutely nothing to do with when it aired. I actually like that it was a good kick off for the hiatus, and brings us back to the story at hand...Darkseid and Clark Kent. Well, that was until I saw the promo--which if I were a casual viewer, would kill any interest I had in coming back in April to watch how it all ends.

They'll need to market like MAD come April to gain a good semblance of viewers, I think, for that final, final run.

Comment

Originally posted by hellokitty
          The sweeps don't have anything to do with the number of people who will watch...it's more that the advertisers look at the ratings/demos (moreso the demos) in order to rate the amount they'll pay for ad space for those shows.

Usually, to draw in more viewers, networks save big "events" for their shows, advertise/market like rabid dogs, and try to basically put their best foot forward. If any more viewers are attracted than those who normally show up, then that's good. But just b/c it's sweeps doesn't automatically mean that the shows have hundreds of thousands of extra viewers who just decided "It's sweeps, let's sit on the couch and watch TV tonight".

The ratings for Scion more than likely have absolutely nothing to do with when it aired. I actually like that it was a good kick off for the hiatus, and brings us back to the story at hand...Darkseid and Clark Kent. Well, that was until I saw the promo--which if I were a casual viewer, would kill any interest I had in coming back in April to watch how it all ends.

They'll need to market like MAD come April to gain a good semblance of viewers, I think, for that final, final run.
          Well, sure. It's hard to know what's going to make viewers actually watch. I can't disagree with that, but changing a series' return date at the last minute will definitely throw some viewers off - especially when the episodes they do choose to air in its place are that of a different show. I guess it just bugs me, and I take every opportunity to let that out.

That being said, something the CW can do - and I hope they do - is like you said, market the show. If there was any time to do it, I hope they do it now. The show has been good to them, even if they treat it like a throw away, but it has given the network viewers they wouldn't normally have (IMO) and a ten year show deserves to be acknowledged.

Comment

Demo's were good. So the ratings were fine IMO.

Comment

I have absolutely no faith in the CW when it comes to this show. That move in January was bogus. Yeah, I get it...but it seems like they did it in order to bump the episodes so they could do the two hour finale, yet the reason given was TVD/Nikita bs. Believe me, you can vent all you want! I feel the same way, but it's done, and I'm getting rid of this "network" as soon as Smallville's over.

Comment

well I can't say i'm surprised. Fortune is in my worst 5 episodes list. not only did it have nothing to do with superman, it was cringeworthy to watch them try to emulate the "hangover"

Comment

Regardless, this episode was great in that it got screwed by the network's questionable move to delay the show suddenly just one day before it's returning airdate. It has bitten them big time.

The latest batch of episodes from Collateral to Scion have mostly nothing to do with Clark's journey towards Superman, except for Beacon and perhaps Masquerade if Clark's secret ID was the main focus. It was the lowest point of the season. Out of this latest batch, Beacon and Scion were my favorites.

Comment

Thanks, Supsfan!
                    *Smallville S10 Final & DVR
                    #1 Lazarus ~ *2.98mil. & Live+7= 3.90mil.

#2 Shield ~ *2.38mil. & Live+7= 3.26mil.

#3 Supergirl ~ (P)*2.30mil. & Live+7= 2.93mil.

#4 Homecoming {200th Epi.} ~ *3.19mil. & Live+7= 3.73mil.

#5 Isis ~ *2.60mil. & Live+7= 3.31mil.

#6 Harvest ~ *2.96mil. & Live+7= 3.64mil.

#7 Ambush ~ *2.63mil & Live+7= 3.35mil.

#8 Abandoned ~ (P)*2.90mil. & Live+7= 3.6?mil.

#9 Patriot ~ (P)*2.60mil. & Live+7= 3.23mil.

#10 Luthor ~ (P)*2.76mil.

#11 Icarus ~ *2.55mil.

#12 Collateral ~ *2.38mil. & Live+7= 2.94mil.

#13 Beacon ~ *2.34mil. & Live+7= 2.95mil.

#14 Masquerade ~ *2.22mil. & Live+7= 2.90mil.

#15 Fortune ~ *2.56mil. & Live+7= 3.13mil.

#16 Scion ~ *2.18mil.
                    Last edited by SparkleforSmallville; 03-14-2011, 11:07 AM.

Comment

My god how did Fortune get more viewers than multiple episodes that were better :s

Comment

Originally posted by Stebob1984
                        My god how did Fortune get more viewers than multiple episodes that were better :s

hangover effect

#16 Scion ~ *2.18mil.

So scion is the lowest rated this season so far. shocking much.

Comment

It is shocking. Scion was a great episode.

Comment

I don't know if this has already been brought up, but weren't most other CW shows on hiatus this week? (Smallville and Supernatural would have been if not for the delay that one week) If the other shows were on repeats, a casual viewer might have thought Smallville and Supernatural were too, so they didn't tune in.

Comment

Originally posted by jsm
                              I don't know if this has already been brought up, but weren't most other CW shows on hiatus this week? (Smallville and Supernatural would have been if not for the delay that one week) If the other shows were on repeats, a casual viewer might have thought Smallville and Supernatural were too, so they didn't tune in.
                              Only VD and Nikita

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnR
                                Well we gotta note that Fortune was the last(or so we thought) episode of Allison. So it makes sense to have higher ratings. Requem was one of the highest rated in S8, too.
                                It doesn't make sense actually since casual viewers had no way of knowing it was AM's last episode and even fans online didn't necessarily know or were sure about it.
                                To me Fortune got higher ratings because people liked Masquerade and were interested in seeing a fun episode of SV based on the popular movie the Hangover.
                                There may not be that many people doing the same as I sometimes do, but for shows for which I'm a casual viewer (I can miss a few episodes and don't look for spoilers), their preview trailer showing a fun episode coming next would entice me to watch just to see a different side of the characters/actors.

Originally posted by SVFancross
                                Personally I think the ratings drop for the next two episodes post-hiatus and then the last "three" are higher.
                                I think so too, although Geoff Johns's episode may get higher ratings if promoted a bit.

Originally posted by JohnnR
                                It is shocking. Scion was a great episode.
                                I don't find it shocking, and I thought it wasn't that great although there were nice scenes, but it is only my opinion just like Scion being great is your opinion. I don't think it's the quality of the episode that is to be blamed anyway since all SV episodes usually stay quite stable ratings-wise for each half-hour, so one culprit may be Fortune which turned some people away, and another possible reason is what jsm said on other shows being on hiatus thus confusing viewers:

Originally posted by jsm
                                Last edited by solenn; 03-08-2011, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎