Loved it? Hated it? Rate "Unforgiven"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gave it a 7. It was kind of boring even though it was Sam centric. The guest stars were just blah, and the "monster" not that interesting.

And what was up with that ending, then we see the promo of Sam perfectly ok? I was hoping they'd explore that more. But I suppose this is only the start of the pain Sam is going to go through as he starts remembering more and more.

Comment

I really liked the episode because it reminded me of Born Under A Bad Sign where Dean & Sam were trying to backtrack & found out what Sam did during his missing days, except in that episode he was possessed by Meg all along. I also liked the side-by-side comparison of the 2 Sams with the flashbacks. I never knew how messed up soulless Sam was. Samuel did nowhere near the good job Dean did in acting like his conscience.

I'd give this one a 9.

Comment

Originally posted by oldfan
        Also, maybe they just didn't think about this, but I thought that since Sam's body wasn't in the cage his torment would have been mental rather than physical. Was the flashback to the fire before Crowley got his body out?
        Well his soul was. It was just like Dean in the season 3 finale when they showed him in hell screaming for Sam.

Comment

During the final scene I was wondering where Sam buys shirts that don't burn even in the fires of hell

Also, maybe they just didn't think about this, but I thought that since Sam's body wasn't in the cage his torment would have been mental rather than physical. Was the flashback to the fire before Crowley got his body out?
          Well, Dean's torment was also mental. But in the case of Sam, his soul was in hell for about a year and a half until Death, not Crowley, got him out. So Sam's mental suffering and the shock to his system could be enough to kill him or turn him into a total vegetable.

I still wonder if what's behind a wall is demon that Sam's soul started turning into that hasn't revealed itself yet. I thought & even hoped that's where they were going with Sam's soul stuck in hell--that his soul would become a demon by the time it was released and when his demon soul merged with his own body (something that has never happened in Supernatural since all other demons' bodies were rotten corpses by the time they returned in demon form), it would have broken the one & only seal that was keeping the cage closed to result in Armageddon.

Comment

During the final scene I was wondering where Sam buys shirts that don't burn even in the fires of hell

Well, it was a mental thing, but just like Dean, it showed his body in Hell, when, in reality, it was just his soul, which I take it, so far during the series, when a soul is in Hell or Heaven, they have this physical, or somewhat of it, appearance, kinda like a ghost. Maybe too many commas? Lol.

And the irony about Sam's shirt not being burned is the fact that the apparition of Dean in Hell, his shirt was all torn up and everything, but yet the mental state of Sam has clothes that can't be burned.

And, xrayvision, I think the last scene of "Unforgiven" pretty much writes off the theory of Death placing Adam's soul in Sam...which, gives me hope, even though it would've been interesting, I hope to God or Chuck that they bring back Adam, body and soul, but also as Lucifer and Michael's first demon. I hope they don't make Sam the first demon, because I'm truly tired of Sam and Dean being the only top dogs within the series, lol. Sam and Dean needs to just be hunters from now on, not special vessels or supposed leaders.

Comment

This episode was...ok.

The flashback start (which is an SPN signature, they've used it so many times) was interesting with Robo!Sam and Sampa. It's so obvious now how different Robo!Sam was now that we've got souled!Sam back. Must have been an interesting episode for Jared to shoot. "OK, now you've got a soul. Now you don't. Do, don't."

But Robo!Sam is scary!

Liked Sam catching up on what he missed, though using Mel Gibson as a reference? Not sure about that. But the idea that Mel is possessed? Kinda like that idea.

Cooridinates. Like Papa Winchester used to send them (anyone else think that?). And Sam having memory flashes (I figured he was going to have memory flashes of his year as Robo!Sam and that was ok, as long as he didn't flash on his time in Hell. But Dean seemed like any flashes were bad. *is confused*).

The "poop deck" (I went back and looked at who wrote this one and it was DanDrew [Daniel and Andrew--that's what Jensen calls them as a writing team]). And suddenly I was not so surprised that they went there.

Sam getting spotted at his table and Dean coming up with "Sex rehab" as the reason Sampa's not with him made me giggle.

The bathroom sex scene (which fans were squeeing over in the previews) was mercifully short.

"One of Dad's rules--you never use the same crapper twice." Again with the potty talk, DanDrew!

Dean being scared for Sam and Sam feeling guilt (called it!).

OK, best moment of the episode was when Dean was with the blonde girl and had to describe "Agent Roarke" and put his hand way up in the air like that. I laughed.

And did anyone else figure out then that all the women that Sam had had sex with in town were being killed? (And flashed back to the past, thinking--once again--to have sex with Sam means death. Someone warn the girl from the fairy episode! ).

Sam arrested (Jared's panic face was nice) but that line about being "dumb as a sack of hair" was a bit silly.

Sampa and Sam told the sheriff and his wife the truth? I can't see that. Souled!Sam might have but not Robo!Sam. But it could have been Sampa's call, I guess. Still, doesn't seem in character.

Nice Days of our Lives reference in there (DanDrew throw that in for Jen?).

Totally thought Sam would send the wife to Dean but lookie she let him out (the power of the puppy eyes wins again!).

OK, there officially needs to be a rule for white chicks: do NOT go into the cellar or basement if the light switch is broken! It ALWAYS ends badly. You'd think they would know by now!

Loved the little "I told you so" banter and Dean's "You really got around. Soulless or not I'm actually kinda impressed."

And look, there's our willfull!Sam, not staying put again.

All of it being a trap for Sammy seemed kinda obvious (anyone else wonder if it wasn't Sampa trying to pull Sammy in? Does Sampa even know about Sam's soul being missing and then restored? I don't think he does.).

An arachne, huh. I like the idea of monsters from the past are rising again now but spiders give me the creeps so soon as I heard that I was like "ew!"

Sam and Dean's conversation about remembering and Dena's panic face.

And this line, which is the essence of Sam, I think: "Cause I gotta friggin' soul now and it won't let me just walk away". That's our Sam.

And why did we have flashbacks to about 10 minutes ago? That seemed kinda pointless.

Oh look, they used the Sheriff as bait (a la Dean with the vamps). Ok Robo!Sam I get but Sampa should know better!

Sidenote: was anyone else completely distracted from the story by Sam's sexy legs and ass as he got out of the van in the flashback? *raises hand* Holy frick but that man is gorgeous, as was that shot (the director--David Barrett--is a first time SPN director, interestingly enough).

The nest, the men are alive? And I wondered how they knew cutting her head off would work until Sampa said they got lucky.

Sam shooting them--wow, that was cold, even for Robo!Sam. And Sampa letting him? Course even back then wasn't Samuel working for Crowley so how good was he?

Was it me or was this the first case we've had the boys working that was in the snow since the first season? It was kinda nice to see. (saw something about a episode with Uriel in it that had snow so maybe not?)

Roy's been turned and the fight between them was mercifully short. Though once again a bad guy does a stupid thing and helps the hero escape!

And the end. I have to admit, during this:
              "What are you now, my waitress?"
              "I'm just trying to make you feel better, don't be a b****."
              I was waiting for Sam to break out a 'jerk'. I miss that shorthand between them.

And the wall breaking, the vision of Hell (didn't expect it so soon!) was a nice ending.

So yeah, the hunt wasn't that interesting (My first thought was, someone's been rereading either Harry Potter or LOTRings! ). But Jared was amazing in his switching and it was nice to see the boys (well, Sam) revisit a previous case.

Gave it a 7.

Comment

I think this explains why Samuel was not so quick to save Sam he tought he was not worth saving because he had been dealing with Soulless Sam for a year. I did not know the real Sam.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎