Collapse
No announcement yet.

X-Men 3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other than Beast the film was pretty much meh.
    I was also happy to see Storm take over as leader of the X-Men as she did in the comics.
    Well you really have four Wolverine movies now. Cyclops was pretty marginalized in the first three. I guess Singer wasn't much of a fan of the character.
    I kinda wish they didn't do the Phoenix story now.
    It has my expectations lowered for sequels, expecially if they attempt Mastermold or Apololypse as an enemy. It seems like they are pretty spin-off crazy now.

Comment

• This was really where the Fox X-Men franchise started doing downhill (and it never recovered). The previous movie had set up Phoenix, so they did that. But, they also wanted to adapt the recent Cure storyline, from the comics. They didn't do a good job on either. Phoenix is a never before mentioned split personality of Jean Grey, that Xavier suppressed, and gets to play second fiddle to the cure plot, which isn't handled well either. We're just shown consenting mutants taking it (not counting Angel, who runs away). No parents dragging their mutant children, kicking and screaming, to get "cured". No signs of employers pressuring mutants employees to take the cure (or risk losing their job). No signs of any harmful side effects of the cure, to those that are given it. In fact, the end hints that it's only temporary, meaning that Magneto, Rogue (who gave up her powers, simply because she couldn't sleep with her boyfriend, causing her to fear that he'd eventually leave her) and other mutants that've taken it, will regain their powers within a short period. So, the "cure" has no lasting affect on this world.

Xavier is killed off, but he's shown to still be alive, in a post-credit sequence (so, this movie wasn't the end of Charles Xavier), making the only lasting impact that Jean and Scott are dead. Of course, Scott was killed off, so Marsden could play second fiddle to Superman... having spent two movies... playing second fiddle to Wolverine.

With a title like The Last Stand, they were probably expecting the wave of superhero movies to soon be over, but it wasn't. Instead, it kept going, with Fox doing three Wolverine spin-off movies (when, ironically, a lot of the first three X-Men movies had heavily been Wolverine movies), and X-Men films set in the past. Sadly, they didn't simply continue with an X-Men 4, set after the events of this movie. Moving forward, instead of backwards.

The positive with this movie is that they establish that society has become more accepting of mutants, hinting at a brighter, happy future... unless a future movie turns this reality into a dystopia, to justify a semi-reboot.

Comment

• I saw this movie on video, this Saturday. I was surprised that the writers of this movie killed 3 main characters. I wonder why they did this.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎