No announcement yet.

Clark's lack of concern about Chloe

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clark's lack of concern about Chloe

This episode has made me realize that TPTB have no intention of repairing Chloe and Clark's friendship. When given an opportunity to verbalize that he misses Chloe, Clark doesn't say anything. He showed more concern when Lois was injured with the pen than he has with Chloe being gone. Not to mention how he was polite with Tess, even saying please when she was helping gain info on Isis, yet when it was Chloe last year he was curt. He really doesn't care that Chloe is gone. I'm not asking for moping and a candlelight vigil, but when Oliver was talking Clark didn't even say that he missed her too. There has been no evidence that Clark even cares.IMO That's a sad end to Chloe and Clark's friendship,imo.

Yea I guess. Their friendship was pretty fractured.

Comment

I understand that the Chloe fans would like to see Clark talk more about Chloe/express more emotion about Chloe.

But I have to be honest...right now? Every time Chloe gets mentioned on the screen I want to bash my head against the wall. It's the one thing pulling me out of the episodes at this point. It's just completely over the top at this point and ridiculous. In the last decade, I don't think I've ever seen a character glorified this much over and over again when she's not even on the screen. Even Lana wasn't mentioned this much when she left the show at the end of Season 7.

At this point, I'm thrilled to see Clark happy and I'm not ashamed to say it. I don't want to see him missing Chloe or worrying about her. It drags down his story and it makes no sense, imo, to waste his precious final season talking about a character in every episode who is not on the screen and not a full time cast member anymore. I hope we don't hear about Chloe next week. I'm literally at the point where I will throw something at the TV if I have to hear about her again.

I will welcome Allison back to the show when she returns. I like Allison very much. But until she comes back....I don't need the Chloe references every episode.

As far as Tess goes....it's a totally different situation. Tess has made a sincere effort to try and help Clark in every way possible. She has acknowledged that she made mistakes. She has acknowledged that she wants forgiveness for those mistakes. I think Clark is being kind to her because Clark is a forgiving person. Last year, Clark was curt to Chloe because as I recall....Chloe never actually apologized to him for his mistakes until the very end of the season. Tess has taken steps to make amends with Clark that Chloe never took last season. JMO

Comment

Tess has earned the right to prove herself, which is all she was asking for. If nothing else, she died protecting Clark, and has protected his secret for years in her own misguided way.

Chloe basically went into self-imposed superhero Witness Protection. Nothing suggests Chloe is in danger. In fact, all signs point to Chloe actually being safer than she was before since all the bad guys now think she's dead. I'm sure Clark misses her, but with Lois possessed and about to bring about the Apocalypse, it would be idiotic to turn down help just because the woman in question isn't Chloe. (It should be noted even Chloe trusted Tess to help plan her escape.) They could have thrown in a line or something, but really it wasn't necessary, IMO, with Oliver basically already verbalizing those feelings.

Comment

The thing is...I truly feel badly that I feel this way because I know the Chloe fans miss her very much and I'm sympathetic to that. I know how I've felt the last 6 years when Lois would go missing for weeks on end. I missed her very much. So I am sympathetic to the idea that Chloe fans want to hear her mentioned in every episode. I really do get that. I feel badly that I feel this way. But it's just.....not working for me. Even my husband said something about it tonight. He turned to me at one point and said, "I want to see Green Arrow be sarcastic and kick ass....not mope about a character who isn't there." And I agreed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Audrey229
            I understand that the Chloe fans would like to see Clark talk more about Chloe/express more emotion about Chloe.

But I have to be honest...right now? Every time Chloe gets mentioned on the screen I want to bash my head against the wall. It's the one thing pulling me out of the episodes at this point. It's just completely over the top at this point and ridiculous. In the last decade, I don't think I've ever seen a character glorified this much over and over again when she's not even on the screen. Even Lana wasn't mentioned this much when she left the show at the end of Season 7.

At this point, I'm thrilled to see Clark happy and I'm not ashamed to say it. I don't want to see him missing Chloe or worrying about her. It drags down his story and it makes no sense, imo, to waste his precious final season talking about a character in every episode who is not on the screen and not a full time cast member anymore. I hope we don't hear about Chloe next week. I'm literally at the point where I will throw something at the TV if I have to hear about her again.

I will welcome Allison back to the show when she returns. I like Allison very much. But until she comes back....I don't need the Chloe references every episode.

As far as Tess goes....it's a totally different situation. Tess has made a sincere effort to try and help Clark in every way possible. She has acknowledged that she made mistakes. She has acknowledged that she wants forgiveness for those mistakes. I think Clark is being kind to her because Clark is a forgiving person. Last year, Clark was curt to Chloe because as I recall....Chloe never actually apologized to him for his mistakes until the very end of the season. Tess has taken steps to make amends with Clark that Chloe never took last season. JMO
            Personally, the only reason I'm still watching is to see if Chloe is somehow given a mention. But I guess I wouldn't mind if they cut that out completely. It would give me a reason to quit watching the show completely til she returns.

Comment

Let me ask, when Chloe returns what do you think Clark's reaction will be? Will he say that he missed her eventhough we've seen nothing to indicate that? Or, will he be true to how he is now and not really care that she's back? He's never even said once that he misses her, or even show concern that she's gone. Not one mention. He just doesn't care about Chloe. It's sad to me that their onetime friendship has ended this way. I can't even watch old episodes because it hurts to see how they were and how they are now. Back then they cared about each other, and now there's nothing. Clark shows more care and concern with Tess than he does about Chloe. I guess I've finally accepted that Clark probably never cared about Chloe and that their one time friendship is over.

Comment

Originally posted by Nivea
                Personally, the only reason I'm still watching is to see if Chloe is somehow given a mention. But I guess I wouldn't mind if they cut that out completely. It would give me a reason to quit watching the show completely til she returns.
                I totally understand. Well...actually that's not true. I don't personally understand how someone could watch a show about the future Superman and not be invested in his journey. I just don't find Chloe that interesting and while I like her...I've never really found her that interesting. So yes, it's hard for me to understand. BUT---that doesn't mean I'm downplaying your view. Just because I don't understand it doesn't mean that you don't have the right to hold it and obviously it does nothing to negate your feelings.

I truly do understand why the Chloe fans want to hear her mentioned. I wish I felt the same way.

Let me ask, when Chloe returns what do you think Clark's reaction will be? Will he say that he missed her eventhough we've seen nothing to indicate that? Or, will he be true to how he is now and not really care that she's back? He's never even said once that he misses her, or even show concern that she's gone. Not one mention. He just doesn't care about Chloe. It's sad to me that their onetime friendship has ended this way. I can't even watch old episodes because it hurts to see how they were and how they are now. Back then they cared about each other, and now there's nothing. Clark shows more care and concern with Tess than he does about Chloe. I guess I've finally accepted that Clark probably never cared about Chloe and that their one time friendship is over.
                I'm sure he'll say he missed her. Just because Clark hasn't openly and outwardly said he misses her doesn't mean he doesn't. But at the same time....I guess I just don't think that Clark has to miss Chloe constantly in order to prove that he cares about her.

Realistically...as people grow up....friendships and relationships change. People change. I imagine many of us have had people come in and out of our lives. People move away or we move somewhere else. People get married and start their families. We don't stand still forever. It doesn't mean that our friendships are over or that we "never" cared about the special people from our past. Not at all. There are people in my life that I care about deeply; however, I have had to accept that life goes on. My life is in a different place now and their life is in a different place.
                Clark's life has changed a lot in the last few years. There was a time period where he spent most of his free time with Chloe. But that was always a temporary situation. Realistically speaking, Clark was going to move on and so was Chloe. They clearly weren't going to be marrying each other---so their situation of spending 24/7 together and relying on each other so much was temporary---it was going to change when their lives changed. And I guess I just don't think that's such a bad thing. I believe that friendships can be meaningful and wonderful even if they change over time.

I don't need to see Clark outwardly missing Chloe to know that he cares about her and would be there for her in a second if she needed him. Clark has to move on with his life. He deserves to be able to chase happiness for himself and embrace all life has to offer JUST like Chloe does. I believe that Clark still cares for Chloe. I believe he will always care for her. But realistically, I will never expect their friendship to ever be what it was a few years ago...because...that's just not how life works. People grow up and change and move on to new life experiences. But I do believe that when Chloe comes back, Clark will be happy to see her. In the meantime, I believe that he trusts her choice and has faith in her choice to go off on her own. And I'm sure he misses her and would love to see her again. But I also think he has moved on with his life to new experiences and relationships that fulfill him and make him happy. And I don't think that's a bad thing.
                Last edited by Audrey229; 10-22-2010, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nivea
                  I just appreciate that there is one person who cares about Chloe. If that makes me selfish so be it. I also watch to see the Chloe mentions and since Ollie's not in next weeks episode there won't be any mention of her.

Comment

I totally understand. Well...actually that's not true. I don't personally understand how someone could watch a show about the future Superman and not be invested in his journey. I just don't find Chloe that interesting and while I like her...I've never really found her that interesting. So yes, it's hard for me to understand. BUT---that doesn't mean I'm downplaying your view. Just because I don't understand it doesn't mean that you don't have the right to hold it and obviously it does nothing to negate your feelings.

I truly do understand why the Chloe fans want to hear her mentioned. I wish I felt the same way.
                    Oh I used to have SO much interest invested in Clark and his journey back in the day.. that obviously changed. I'd get into the reasons why, but I think I'd steer this thread off topic then. I still like all the remaining characters but they just don't hold my interest that much. Really, for the past few years I've only been tuning in just to see how things go with Chloe.

Comment

I agree. I said it when I seen the spoilers of Chloe's storyline and I will say it here. I don't want to watch a show about the characters who are still on worrying about a character who won't be on for a large stretch of episodes. It just drags down the storyline. the writers should just have sent Chloe off somewhere and came up with an excuse she on a personal mission or taking time off and made little or no mention of her till she gets back other then the odd reference in a few episodes.

Having a plot revolve around a character who is gone(offscreen) for so long is just bad story telling

Comment

Originally posted by Yesterday
                        This episode has made me realize that TPTB have no intention of repairing Chloe and Clark's friendship. When given an opportunity to verbalize that he misses Chloe, Clark doesn't say anything. He showed more concern when Lois was injured with the pen than he has with Chloe being gone. Not to mention how he was polite with Tess, even saying please when she was helping gain info on Isis, yet when it was Chloe last year he was curt. He really doesn't care that Chloe is gone. I'm not asking for moping and a candlelight vigil, but when Oliver was talking Clark didn't even say that he missed her too. There has been no evidence that Clark even cares.IMO That's a sad end to Chloe and Clark's friendship,imo.
                        Yesterday, I feel your pain, because I've felt it, too, all throughout the past season. I hated the way they created such a huge schism between my favorite pair, but I still retain some degree of hope that they'll come back together as the close friends they once were, eventually. Clark did show some concern and care for Chloe in "Lazarus," and had voiced that he'd left her multiple messages, wanting her help and wondering where she was, in "Shield." In that same episode, he also expressed to Oliver that he trusted Chloe, and he showed that he had faith in her ability to make the decision she knew was right, based on what she'd seen in Dr. Fate's helmet. Yes, TPTB have betrayed my trust time and time again when it comes to Chlark, but hope springs eternal for me when it comes to Chloe and Clark, and I will still maintain that eventually, we'll get SOME payoff for watching their epic friendship over the course of the past ten years.

Comment

I think Clark isn't showing that he's worried because the last time he saw her she told him that she saw that everything was going to be alright. She knew he wouldn't be in black and I don't think Clark had told her about the new suit. I think he just believes she knows what she is doing.

Comment

Clark's worry is at the same level as mine, meaning not giving a crap. I would like to think that Clark the character could care less about Chloe; but the truth is that it is just a character trait the writers use for Clark whenever someone he loves goes missing.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleArash
                              I think Clark isn't showing that he's worried because the last time he saw her she told him that she saw that everything was going to be alright. She knew he wouldn't be in black and I don't think Clark had told her about the new suit. I think he just believes she knows what she is doing.
                              Way I look at it Clark is worried offscreen and that's where I want them to keep it

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎