Liked it? Hated it? What did you think of "The Return?"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

So sorry I was gone for so long! I was itching to make my post.

All I can say is this show is just amazing. Utterly and completely enjoyable. I loved every second of it. Katherine was better than I imagined (and Nina surprised me with how well she played her). Katherine made the episode for me. My eyes were glued to the screen when she was on. I love the rawness of her personality and her lack of empathy for our characters. I am glad she will be popping up throughout the season.

Poor Damon. And let's be honest, he is the more likable of the two brothers. He became even more likable as we learned that Katherine never did love him (not surprising but just as hurtful). Plus it allowed him to revert back to the Damon we knew from the beginning of the series. Especially when he broke Jeremy's neck.

The show still brings the twists and unexpected turns (that's why I love this show so much). First off, I initially thought WTF! when Damon killed Jeremy or he's totally becoming a vampire before realizing he had the ring on. I also was pretty shocked when Katherine appeared to Caroline and started to smother her!

I was thrilled with Katherine laying into Bonnie. Bonnie needs some fear put in her. In all honesty, I liked her character much better last season...

I am not sure how interested I am in the werewolf storyline... it was the least interesting part of the episode for me. But maybe it will evolve into a better storyline. This is only the beginning.

The one thing I didn't like about the episode - John lived. I wanted him to stay dead! Ugh! He killed Anna last season and I was not happy with him being able to live and her having to stay dead.

Comment

It's funny to see that most people don't like the turn Bonnie's taking - I really like it. She's powerful, she's confident, and she's not willing to let her life be a playground for vampires. It may come across as a little arrogant, but it seems more to me that she's just taking back control.

Comment

This episode totally rocks! What an amazing way to start S2.

Nina Dobrev pulling double duty again as Katherine/Elena, was flawless in my book. Her mannerism when she's playing Katherine is chilling. I'm glued to the screen when she's on.

Everyone did a phenom job in this episode, and I can't wait for the next episode.

ps- please don't let Caroline become Vicki 2.0. If they're gonna turn her into a vampire, then use her- otherwise she should have died of complications from the accident. My opinion.

Comment

I gave it a 7. It was a good episode, but not great. I literally couldn't wait for the premiere, and I didn't feel that the episode lived up to its own hype. Aside from that, I feel it was a good, solid episode. Had a few "shock" moments that I didn't see coming. Number 1, uncle John lived, which I liked. For how much of a heel he was built up to be, this episode showed the guy really cares for the well-being of his family, in giving Jeremy the ring. The fact that he left town alive and well, sets the stage for a possible return. Number 2, Damon. I now know its possible to hate someone, but also like them in the same episode. I'm glad Damon is back to his neck-snapping ways. I couldn't help feeling for Damon when he got shot down by both Katherine and Elena. Kinda puts a different perspective on why he acts like he does. Ian is such a great actor, he went from a grey area at the beginning of the episode, to a total antagonist at the end. Number 3, I'm happy that the show didn't do the obvious thing and make Jeremy a vamp. Him getting killed at the end was a big surprise, but him coming back was an even bigger one. (Damon stood in the hallway when Jeremy was on the floor, logic would point towards the fact that he seen the ring on Jeremy's hand).

Some negative things:
          1. I absolutely despise the fact that Damon and Steffan keep allowing Bonnie to bully them into doing what she wants. That was asinine how at the hospital she wouldn't take a truce with Damon if he gave Caroline his blood. You could argue that its her fault for Caroline being in that predicament in the first place.

2. The uncle Mason storyline. I'm certain it'll get interesting, but for now it's just a filler and pretty darn boring.

3. Katherine. The nostalgia of her returning wore off for me after the scene were she fought with Steffan. It all went downhill after that. Her return was hyped so much by every single preview, I expected to be on the edge of my seat. I was hoping for an Elena-Katherine confrontation in the beginning. But instead of facing her, Katherine did the next best thing- ran away.

----- Added 9 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by rej@ne
          Any way, I sure you Damon would NEVER EVER kill Jeremy if he hadn´t seen the ring on Jeremy´s finger coz Damon ONLY KILL FOR SELF DEFENSE OR IN THE DEFENSE OF THE ONE HE CARES ABOUT (though he denie it for everyone and for himsel) He´s a good guy/vampire.
          I have to disagree with you here. Remember the football coach at the beginning of season 1? Was that self-defense? How about those campers when Vicki was hanging with them and Steffan had Damon's ring, I suppose that was self-defense also? I definitely don't think Damon's a "good guy", at best, he's in a grey area. But now, he's a straight "bad guy" who will kill with reckless abandon.
          Last edited by shanemak; 09-12-2010, 04:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Investigations
            It's funny to see that most people don't like the turn Bonnie's taking - I really like it. She's powerful, she's confident, and she's not willing to let her life be a playground for vampires. It may come across as a little arrogant, but it seems more to me that she's just taking back control.
            I think she was arrogant without reason. And she obviously isn't too powerful, as evidenced by her failed attempt at Katherine. The truth is she's only been a witch for maybe 9 months or so. I liked the Bonnie from the beginning and middle of season 1. That's just my opinion.

Comment

TO SHANEMAK

I have to disagree with you here. Remember the football coach at the beginning of season 1? Was that self-defense? How about those campers when Vicki was hanging with them and Steffan had Damon's ring, I suppose that was self-defense also? I definitely don't think Damon's a "good guy", at best, he's in a grey area. But now, he's a straight "bad guy" who will kill with reckless abandon.[/QUOTE]

Well, Shanemak

Sorry abt that comment of mine. Actually, I made a little mess here... Coz I read the books I know Damon is a good (from inside) and plays eveil to protect his life and the others he cares abt but ALSO to show everybody he´s rough, tough, eveil, emotionless so he can´t be hurt... I don´t have arguments abt the coach or the campers though, you´re right abt that! Only that in the books, like a said before, Damon likes to kill in fights for his life or to save the life of someone he cares. He doesn´t kill just for killing. Even when hefeed, he doesn´t kill his preys (which, btw, are always beautiful girls) I mean, in the books, he is evil, yes, but also the hero (surprie, surprise for that huh?) with so many inside issues that made him built a stone shield around him to protect his real soul.

Well, when I begun to watch the tv show I was a little worried abt what the producers and writers were up tp as I realized they´ve made a looot and biiiiig changes so far from the books´stroryline BUT I gotta say the show rocks as well as the books do! I love the show and I love Damon. He´s the best characther, so full of possibilities to explore... Stefan on the other hand... idk, maybe he will improve this season coz in the books he´s BORING! lol
              Last edited by rej@ne; 09-12-2010, 07:13 PM.

Comment

TO SHANEMAK

Well, Shanemak

Sorry abt that comment of mine. Actually, I made a little mess here... Coz I read the books I know Damon is a good (from inside) and plays eveil to protect his life and the others he cares abt but ALSO to show everybody he´s rough, tough, eveil, emotionless so he can´t be hurt... I don´t have arguments abt the coach or the campers though, you´re right abt that! Only that in the books, like a said before, Damon likes to kill in fights for his life or to save the life of someone he cares. He doesn´t kill just for killing. Even when hefeed, he doesn´t kill his preys (which, btw, are always beautiful girls) I mean, in the books, he is evil, yes, but also the hero (surprie, surprise for that huh?) with so many inside issues that made him built a stone shield around him to protect his real soul.

Well, when I begun to watch the tv show I was a little worried abt what the producers and writers were up tp as I realized they´ve made a looot and biiiiig changes so far from the books´stroryline BUT I gotta say the show rocks as well as the books do! I love the show and I love Damon. He´s the best characther, so full of possibilities to explore... Stefan on the other hand... idk, maybe he will improve this season coz in the books he´s BORING! lol
                Yea the writers' are certainly taking alot of creative liberties with the show. I haven't read the books, so I can only go by the show. Yes, I beleive that Damon is the best character and has volumes to explore, whears Steffan is much more 1 dimensional. It looks as if Steffan will grow a pair this season, so hopefully he won't be as boring.

I just watched True Blood season finale and let me say that the Vampire Diaries makes True Blood seem like a mere screen play.

Comment

Originally posted by shanemak
                  Yea the writers' are certainly taking alot of creative liberties with the show. I haven't read the books, so I can only go by the show. Yes, I beleive that Damon is the best character and has volumes to explore, whears Steffan is much more 1 dimensional. It looks as if Steffan will grow a pair this season, so hopefully he won't be as boring.

I just watched True Blood season finale and let me say that the Vampire Diaries makes True Blood seem like a mere screen play.
                  YEAH!! Me too friend! Really TVD is sooooooooo much better than TB, by a long shot! and better the Twilight sga as well (this one I really disliked) and I know I´m the minority, right? lol
                  But if you enjoy the tv show I really really suggest you to read the books of The Vampire Diaries. You´ll go to the stars coz the author mix evrything superrnatural, you know? Vampires (even Old Ones meaning the first vampires of all times), warewolves, psychics and witches, ghosts, demons, kitsunes (warefoxes, which are awaaaay more evil than vampires and warewolves together), dark Dimansions, wow, there´s a lot of good stuff in the books! You really should try!

PS - Despite damon´s being a killer on the show wish the best for him!! lol

Comment

YEAH!! Me too friend! Really TVD is sooooooooo much better than TB, by a long shot! and better the Twilight sga as well (this one I really disliked) and I know I´m the minority, right? lol
                    But if you enjoy the tv show I really really suggest you to read the books of The Vampire Diaries. You´ll go to the stars coz the author mix evrything superrnatural, you know? Vampires (even Old Ones meaning the first vampires of all times), warewolves, psychics and witches, ghosts, demons, kitsunes (warefoxes, which are awaaaay more evil than vampires and warewolves together), dark Dimansions, wow, there´s a lot of good stuff in the books! You really should try!

PS - Despite damon´s being a killer on the show wish the best for him!! lol
                    Yea I read a few pages of the first vampire diaries book in the bookstore, but for the most part, it seems like mental masturbation for adolescents. Hardly for adults.

And I happen to like Twilight, the part I hate is that vamps sparkle in the sun, instead of burning up. I also like True Blood, it's just I think it went downhill since season 2. I think the writer's are writing themselves in a corner storyline wise, and mistakeingly choose to focus precious screen time on whether secondary characters cut their hair or not. C'mon, the viewers want action! Anyways, Twilight never compared to TVD, as TVD has it beat on special effects and the story, and that speaks volumes considering Twilight is a major motion picture. True Blood used to be excellent, and actually gave TVD a run for it's money, as HBO has alot more leeway with things they can do, but leeway isn't always a good thing, evidenced by Laffeyeete and Jesus.

I think Damon does an excellent job at being a killer. He said emotions are like a switch you can turn off, and everytime he gets a modicum of humanity, he gets hurt. It's alot easier to be hated and do what you want, then to be liked by people and not do what you want. Damon is better off being a psychopath.

Comment

Totally agree

Yea I read a few pages of the first vampire diaries book in the bookstore, but for the most part, it seems like mental masturbation for adolescents. Hardly for adults.

And I happen to like Twilight, the part I hate is that vamps sparkle in the sun, instead of burning up. I also like True Blood, it's just I think it went downhill since season 2. I think the writer's are writing themselves in a corner storyline wise, and mistakeingly choose to focus precious screen time on whether secondary characters cut their hair or not. C'mon, the viewers want action! Anyways, Twilight never compared to TVD, as TVD has it beat on special effects and the story, and that speaks volumes considering Twilight is a major motion picture. True Blood used to be excellent, and actually gave TVD a run for it's money, as HBO has alot more leeway with things they can do, but leeway isn't always a good thing, evidenced by Laffeyeete and Jesus.

I think Damon does an excellent job at being a killer. He said emotions are like a switch you can turn off, and everytime he gets a modicum of humanity, he gets hurt. It's alot easier to be hated and do what you want, then to be liked by people and not do what you want. Damon is better off being a psychopath.
                      But like I said the books are really great and you may think theey´re a "mental masturbation for adolescents but they´re not.Actually that´s the definition for Twilight and House of Night sagas, in my opinion! The Vampire Diaries´ books are full of action and adventure and inside and internal struggles abt the real nature of beings, whether humans, vampires, demons, maidens, witches and all. The first pages may give you that wrong and mistaken inpression you had but as you go further on the story (specially after the 3rd book) you´ll find yourself questioning your own values of good/evil and if the the ends justify the means. Besides, the author gave us such a rich description of the characthers and the scenarios that we feel we are inside the story living it with the characthers... But that´s my opinion, ofc.
                      And I gotta tell you a little secret of mine: I´m not a teenager anymore (for a long time I gotta say )

Comment

I gave it an 8. Needed more action. Plus, Caroline a vampire? Weird. Gonna have to see where it goes.

Comment

I thought it was decent. Surely wouldn't give it a 10, but it was pretty good. Good enough to keep me watching. I'll probably give it a 7.

Comment

Revised review

Well now that I have re-watched the episode some 4 times already, I take back my 7 and give it a 9. This show is so addicting with all its twists and turns. But watching it that many times, 1 thing became obvious to me- Steffan still loves Katherine, and she does not really love him. If she loved him, why would she wait 145 years just to see him? She wasn’t in the tomb, she was out frolicking around. She told Damon that she never loved him, because she knows that Steffan is taken, so Damon is the vulnerable one, and Katherine is all about power. If Steffan truly hates Katherine, like he so crudely asserts, why o why would he be keeping her picture in his room for all this time? You don’t keep a picture of someone you hate. I also wished that Katherine would have brought up Pearl, since they were speaking about the tomb vamps.

I kinda hope that when John is leaving town, a vamp kills him and he comes back as a vampire. It would be fitting; kinda like Logan 2.0.

Comment

I kinda hope that when John is leaving town, a vamp kills him and he comes back as a vampire. It would be fitting; kinda like Logan 2.0.
                              I wonder if John would kill himself by walking out in sunlight or something.

Comment

[QUOTE=shanemak;6698248]Well now that I have re-watched the episode some 4 times already, I take back my 7 and give it a 9. This show is so addicting with all its twists and turns. But watching it that many times, 1 thing became obvious to me- Steffan still loves Katherine, and she does not really love him. If she loved him, why would she wait 145 years just to see him? She wasn’t in the tomb, she was out frolicking around. She told Damon that she never loved him, because she knows that Steffan is taken, so Damon is the vulnerable one, and Katherine is all about power. If Steffan truly hates Katherine, like he so crudely asserts, why o why would he be keeping her picture in his room for all this time? You don’t keep a picture of someone you hate. I also wished that Katherine would have brought up Pearl, since they were speaking about the tomb vamps.

I, myself, gave it a 10 coz I (like you do) think this show is addicting with all it´s twists and turns, aside being well produced, written and played.

But I have to desagree with one of your points: I don´t think Steffan still loves Katharine! And I´m not sure he still keeps her photo in hus room. What I think is that Katharine reminds him of his sad story (he blames himself to what had happened to her 145 years ago when she was taken down by the founders) and I think he blames himself of the evil way Damon is now, considering the fact he was the one who turned Damon , at least in the show that´s how it happened.

He loves Elena!

Besides the show is abt a triangle - Steffan/Elena/Damon - and there´s no room for anyone else, at least not right now and definately not Katharine!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎