No announcement yet.

What does the episode title mean?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does the episode title mean?

Past episodes of this show have used titles that were also part of the dialogue, but I don't recall hearing "Pound of Flesh" spoken by any of the characters, so why was it called that?

I came across this that makes it possibly, Shakespearean?

"A pound of flesh" is a figurative way of referring to a harsh demand or spiteful penalty—the consequences of defaulting on a desperate bargain."

Would that be referring to Anna, trying to find Fifth Column members?

I think it refers to Georgie. Remember Hobbes explains that he's acceptable collateral. he's literally nothing more than another pound of flesh in this particular situation.

Comment

Excellent thread idea. The title of this episode makes very little sense?
      I wrote earlier that it could be about Chad Decker's deal to get the cure
      for whatever ailment the Visitors said he had, but he was barely in the
      episode. I'd like to say that it's the deal that Erica made with Kyle Hobbes
      to join her army, but they don't listen to him anyways. He's supposed to
      be some kind of military, terrorist genious who supposed to help them
      fight the Visitors. At least that's her explanation for hiring him. They
      don't even listen him when he says Georgie is expendable as apposed
      to Ryan who has all this info on the Visitors. I think that the writers
      threw a bunch of names in a hat and this is the title that was drawn.
      I can't wait to get an explanation for Heretic's Fork?

Comment

I think "Pound Of Flesh" refers literally to the pound of flesh growing rapidly in Valerie's womb.

Comment

Originally posted by savingpeoplething
          Past episodes of this show have used titles that were also part of the dialogue, but I don't recall hearing "Pound of Flesh" spoken by any of the characters, so why was it called that?

I came across this that makes it possibly, Shakespearean?

"A pound of flesh" is a figurative way of referring to a harsh demand or spiteful penalty—the consequences of defaulting on a desperate bargain."

Would that be referring to Anna, trying to find Fifth Column members?
          The meaning is correct and it's application to the episode is complex. One is the one you mentioned with Anna. Another is, as mentioned by another poster, the price that Georgie will pay to save Ryan. Another is the visitor at the beginning who pays a penalty to free his girlfriend and himself from the effects of the Bliss by killing himself and a lot of other visitor's in the process. I also think that it's intersting that the differences between the 5th column members on the ship, the human resistance (really only Hobbes but the others know he has a point) and Anna aren't quite so big in terms of what they are willing to do to "win."

Comment

Originally posted by Glove
            I can't wait to get an explanation for Heretic's Fork?
            According to Wikipedia...."The heretic's fork was a torture device, loosely consisting of a length of metal with two opposed bi-pronged "forks" as well as an attached belt or strap. The device was placed between the breast bone and throat just under the chin and secured with a leather strap around the neck. A person wearing it couldn't fall asleep. The moment their head dropped with fatigue, the prongs pierced their throat or chest, causing great pain. This very simple instrument created long periods of sleep deprivation. People were awake for days, which made confessions more likely."

So while it may not be literal in V, it'll definitely be about some torture device used to get confessions out of people, possibly Georgie (if he's not rescued tonight). George is not in next week's episode 1x08 We Can't Win, so perhaps he's back in 1x09 Heretic's Fork.

Comment

Thank you for the definition, RP.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎