Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For anyone who got the movie on Blu Ray. Did anyone else at the end of the credits have a problem with the disc loading back to the menu screen?

Comment

• Originally posted by jon-el87
      No, mine works just fine.
      OK thanks. Ive noticed some people mention that the 3D version atleast didnt load so was wondering if the regular Blu Ray had any problems. maybe i need a firmware update.

Comment

• figured out the problem. since my blu ray isnt connected to the internet after the moviewas done is was looking for an internet connection to get trailers or something so i needed to disable the BD Internet Connection on my Blu Ray player.

Comment

• Just an FYI...I've moved some posts to the new Spider-Man 2 thread

Since I'm here...I thought this film was infinitely better than any of Raimi's. I really enjoyed Andrew's portrayal of Peter Parker, he was much more believable as a high school geek.

Comment

• Why was the woman concerned about Peter beating up a guy that was going to beat her was that her pimp?

Comment

• Loved this film in almost every aspect. I think I liked Doctor Octopus better than the Lizard but still, I liked the Lizard too, just wish he was more developed.

Comment

• This wasn't a bad movie, but I liked SPIDER-MAN 2 and SPIDER-MAN 3 better. I would say this was equal to 2002's SPIDER-MAN.

Comment

• The issue with commenting on this film, within days of rewatching and commenting on the 2002 movie, is that it's almost unavoidable to be comparing the two. Even while watching this one, I did it. Suspecting that the filmmakers might've, before writing the script, sat down to rewatch the 2002 film, and made some notes about things that they think should've been done differently. Unlike Tobey's Spider-Man, Andrew's is more proactive. He's actually investigating and being shown as searching (both for the Lizard and Uncle Ben's killer). Outside of Sandman, Tobey never seemed to put in much effort into looking for the villains. He just waited, until the villains happened to show up, where he was.

Andrew's Peter doesn't constantly stalk Gwen Stacy, for the entire movie. She's depicted as interested in him, starting a relationship within an hour of the movie. He tells her his secret identity. Sparing us the "secrets and lies" drama, so common within this genre. It also provides Peter with a confident. Someone that he can talk to, and knows that he is Spider-Man. She's got agency of her own, and doesn't get reduced to a damsel in distress, for the climax.

This film also reflect more recent conventions in films, where we're shown some things that previously would've been brushed aside. Here we get the development of the suit, and how Peter made it. In the 2002 movie, Peter simply made it offscreen (we never learn how). We're also never told the reason for why Peter lives with his aunt and uncle. Here, we're shown a backstory for how Peter came to live with them. If we needed either is up to the individual viewer to decide. It's all subjective.

Personally, I prefer this Peter Parker, over Tobey's (who I felt came across more like a nerd archetype, than a real person). This guy I actually saw at school. He's also depicted as having to deal with more serious personal problems than girl troubles (specifically being unable to talk to one, and ask her out). In fact, when looking at the two movies, I prefer this one.

Doesn't mean that it's perfect. Would've liked to have seen Connors fleshed out a bit more. Further establishing why it's so important for him to do this. He turns some cops into lizard, but they have no impact on the climax. They don't serve him as henchpeople, nor are depicted as rampaging through New York (harming people). Gwen is the head intern at OsCorp, who seems to have high-level access to the lab and is established to help mix formulas (normally interns just get coffee and stuff). It's a problem when you do teen protagonists. You want them to be involved in things, and be proactive about things... only there's no way that a teenager would be able to do those things. Possess the needed skills and knowledge (etc.). The teenage protagonist is by their very nature unrealistic.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎