Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a cause for concern that they're trying to push this out so quickly. What's the rush? don't they have any other movies to release in 2012?
    For everyone who is sad about the Raimi Spider-man movies being over, my question is why? All opinions of the quality of theses movies aside, the story was done. The story arc of the trilogy basically told the story of Peter's relationship with Harry Osborn. They finished that and there really weren't any loose ends. None of the villains can come back. (Goblin-dead,Dock Ock- good,then dead, Venom-dead,Sandman-good,New Goblin- good then dead) I'm not saying there wasn't potential to tell more stories, but why not try something new. Mcguire is getting older so he couldn't be Spider-man forever so they would have to recast eventually. As long as they don't re-tread stuff that's already been done, a new start could be great.

Comment

Originally posted by A Flawed Fashion
      As much as people don't like MJ, I think if they wrote her well in Spiderman 4, Kristen Dunst could handle it and make it work. If they then had a good script, good direction, and good supporting cast, they could have done just fine with a 4th film.
      I am just not a Dunst fan and never really have been, even though there are works of hers that are good. I might be biased here but, for me I need a new actress in that role. Though MJ was never a favorite of mine, I feel as though, along with the right script, etc, another actress could make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by WickedJenn
        I am just not a Dunst fan and never really have been, even though there are works of hers that are good. I might be biased here but, for me I need a new actress in that role. Though MJ was never a favorite of mine, I feel as though, along with the right script, etc, another actress could make it work.
        I think that Dunst is good enough and don't really have too much of a problem with her. I always felt that too many of the flaws in that role were due to writing and directing. So, if they fixed the flaws in the writing and directing in regards to her role, she would be fine even if Dunst wasn't the best. She's not a bad actress even though she isn't the best.

The reason I wouldn't want them to recast MJ if they did a reboot is because she is already a part of the films and it would just be too weird to have the same Peter and a new MJ. Of course, I also believe that she is capable of doing a decent MJ. With a reboot, they can get rid of her. In fact, it would be weird for her to be in a reboot.

Comment

Spider-Man and her role as Mary Jane made me really, really dislike Kirsten Dunst. I didn't care for her at all. After seeing her in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and How To Lose Friends and Alienate People however, I was pleasantly surprised when I wasn't annoyed everytime she spoke.

Long story short, I never liked how she played MJ.

Comment

Originally posted by j03superbat
            Spider-Man and her role as Mary Jane made me really, really dislike Kirsten Dunst. I didn't care for her at all. After seeing her in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and How To Lose Friends and Alienate People however, I was pleasantly surprised when I wasn't annoyed everytime she spoke.

Long story short, I never liked how she played MJ.
            My sentiments exactly.

Comment

SM3 was a disaster on every level. That said, it is not the reason I'm interested in the reboot. With this shared movieverse Marvel is building it's ludicrous to not to be able to use or reference Spider-Man or the Fantastic 4, cornerstones of the Marvel Mythology.

Going back to the Spidey high school years... something that's been done to death. I hate how, when it comes to adapting comic characters to the screen, most creators only like to stay within a certain era of the character's history and are too wussy to move forward.

Raimi's Spidey was doing just that, and if the stable of Marvel movies wasn't moving in the direction it is, I would be vehemently against the reboot

Comment

Okay this my 2 cents on the MJ arguement. I thought Dunst did fine with the matrial she was given. I did not mind the acting and directing ethier as I felt it was in character for MJ. You guys mentioned that Dunst's MJ was too passive-agressive, well that is very much how MJ has been in the comics. She has always avoided conflict by ethier partying or running away from her problems. She even took up smoking as a way to take the edge of and avoid talking to peter with her issues with him always risking his life.

Comment

I am all for a franchise reboot if only to negate the travesty that was Spider-Man 3. Its time for them to take on a fresh approach to the character and bring in someone that is a genuine Spider-Man fan to helm the reboot; who can be true to the comics and true to the fans that will go see the film.

Comment

Spider-Man 3 was pretty bad.. But yet, it still is the highest grossing Spider-Man movie and one of the highest grossing movies in general.

And while I do think that if done right, Spider-Man 4 could have fixed everything, I don't mind the idea of a reboot.

Here's what I do think about it though: It's TOO SOON. By 2012, Spider-Man The Movie will only be 10 years old and Spider-Man 3 will barely be 5 years old.

And another thing: despite me not being a fan of his character or his history, his origin I think was well done in the movie. Also, despite the fact that Spider-Man 3 was bad, Spider-Man 2 was excellent, it's one of only TWO movies I liked so much I saw it twice in theatres.

And another ORIGIN movie? Come on, honestly that gets boring especially since it was done pretty well in "Spider-Man".

One last thing though, what makes me mad about this the MOST is the fact that SPIDER-MAN, the hero who already got a billion dollar trilogy that apart from the third one, is considered to be some of the best superhero movies of all time, GETS a REBOOT BEFORE a character like SUPERMAN, a character who is actually in DESPERATE NEED of a reboot.

Comment

I don't think rebooting this soon was a good idea at all...

Comment

I for one, am happy about this. I never liked Spider-Man 2 & 3 and Raimi's stubborness to anything post 70's Spider-Man was ruining the franchise. He wanted The Vulture was the main villain for Spider-Man 4. Really? The Vulture? And then there's the rumors that he wanted to drastically change Black Cat. Sorry, it was time for him to go.

I don't like that they're rebooting, I would've liked a new cast to just continue on and hopefully they'll just show the origin in a flashback and not half of the movie dedicated to it. But this is a good move, I never liked Maguire or Dunst. I couldn't stand them by the time Spider-Man 3 rolled in.

Comment

A reboot is going to have to be careful with the past movies being so close in time to these. We don't need another origin story this close to the last one. Spiderman 1 and 2 are good movies, so they really aren't going to want to get into any of the plots or character developments we had in those without risking losing the audience interest because we just saw that only a few years ago.

To do a decent reboot, they can do the origin story in a quick flashback and take off from there. They need to start in the middle and it can be done. Unfortunately while I think it can be done, that just brings me back to why I don't think they should be doing a reboot with a new cast. If they start in the middle, unless it is done really well, there just isn't really a need to have another Spiderman movie right now. While there is a ton of potential for a continuation of the Spiderman story that wouldn't overlap with the previous movies and would still be good, if they kept the same cast, they could keep moving forward without a hitch. I think its just time to hold off another 5 to 10 years on putting Spiderman back in production. The audience needs to be interested in seeing a new Spiderman and not feel like they just saw this.

I wish they had just let Raimi go if they really couldn't work with him but keep the same cast and find writers, producers, directors, etc. who could do a good follow up to the last movies or else just let it die here for a few years. If they aren't careful they are going to try to come up with a plot that makes it modern and original and the next thing you know we have another Superman Returns.

In the end, while I have my doubts about this movie and would rather them not do a reboot for a few years, I hope this movie turns out well because I love a good superhero movie and I can't exactly walk up to them and say "I don't think this is a good idea. Don't reboot Spiderman yet."
                          Last edited by A Flawed Fashion; 01-11-2010, 11:04 PM.

Comment

this is stupidest idea. A reboot is not necessary at all. I loved all three spider-man movies. Sure Spider-man 3 didn't live up to the expectations you had but it was still a great movie. Some movies do need reboots but Spider-man is not one of them. Come on man this is crazy.

Comment

Count me as those who weren't in favor of a reboot. The problem I had with S3 was that they had too many stories to tell. They could have left someone like Venom(although I hear that Raimi wasn't too high on him) for S4.

No matter how bad S3 might have been, I am going to miss Sam Raimi's interpration of Spiderman.

Comment

Raimi wasn't too high on him, neither was Raimi high on any character that appeared after the 70's. He also had a lot of problems with the producers and the studio on Spider-Man 4 claiming that 2 years was not enough time to deliver Spider-Man 4. Yeah, he needed to go. So did Maguire and Dunst, they just weren't right for the roles. Maguire may have been a good Peter Parker but his wise cracking Spider-Man was horrible.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎