No announcement yet.

Archetypes: Character Reflections From 1983 Vesus 2009

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archetypes: Character Reflections From 1983 Vesus 2009

Hello Everyone. Although I've lurked on this site for months I kinda wanted to wait until last night's premiere to do a "reveal" of my own here to join. I'm a mod at another well-known sci-fi/superhero site and they wouldn't let me set up a "V" forum. So...I'm here.

At any rate, I wanted to start a thread discussing archetypes and the personality patterns that are parallels between the original characters and the new ones from today. After having viewed the pilot, I already see some personality traits carrying over, and this is what I have so far. See if you agree or would like to expand on these personality patterns:

1.) The Dynamic Duo: When they are sitting together in shock at the end of the pilot, it is clear that Erica and Jack are our modern-day "Juliet" and "Donovan" respectively.

2.) Erica: She's not a scientist like Juliet Parrish, but she clearly has her drive. I have no doubt that she will be the leader of the New Resistance. If you recall, from the very moment that the original Visitors showed up, Julie Parrish was extremely suspicious, and Erica is as well. She is nobody's fool. However, unlike "Julie", Erica clearly embraces the leadership role; when looking at her interaction with Alan Tudyk's character, she is all about being on top and taking the lead. She also mirrors "Mike Donovan's" character in that she is a single mom--with a seriously troubled relationship with her son.

3.) Father Jack: This character reminds me of the original V's Father Andrew in the sense of both being affiliated with the church. We know that Father Andrew was an African gueurilla (sp) in his younger years and it appears that Jack is a modern-day reflection of that. In my opinion, Joel Gretsch is all sorts of awesome in this role already.

4.) Tyler: I thought it was clever that he has Ham's last name for a first. But in addition to being the original "Donovan's" "Sean" for this series, he also mirrors the Original Series' "Daniel"--who we know sold out his own due to his obsession with the Visitors. Tyler's quick sign-up to the youth core is a total lift from the 80's series. Which brings us to....

5.) Lisa: Clearly the 1983 version's "Brian" counterpart, her purpose here is to seduce the youth, namely Tyler. Now, the last time this happened, someone got pregnant. Hmmmm. Only time will tell if something similar happens here.

6.) Anna: Obviously a combination of both "John" and "Diana", I was really impressed with Morena's portral of the Visitor's "high" commander (no "Supreme" here huh?). I was worried about how Anna would come across, but her creepy smile during the interview (when she told Decker that he could ask anything) sold me on her potential to be a force to reckon with. After seeing her performance I doubt we'll ever see Jane in a position of power over Anna--or even as a "Lydia" counterpart. There just won't be room for both and that's saying something...

Also...Anna's non-stop, quirky eye-lash batting: What's with that?? Very, very creepy and even a touch sinister.

7.) Ryan is this version's clear answer to "Martin", yet he is also a combination of "Willie" since he has a human love interest. His girlfriend (played by Lourdes) could pass as a nod to the original series' "Harmony" although the relationship between her and "Willie" did not go as far as an engagement or marriage. It will be interesting to see where this relationship goes.

8.) "Christine Walsh" is reborn in Chad Decker. Nuff said. I thought it was good that he wasn't as star struck as Walsh was, yet he is equally ambitious. However, one difference I can see coming is that where Christine was totally wrapped around Diana's finger until it was too late, we already see that Chad is going to have personality clashes with Anna. Her parting stare at him after the broadcast says that she is not even trying to fool him.

Do you all see any other similarities between characters from the past and the new ones for 2009? Feel free to discuss!

great thread.

don't have much to add - just a few observations.

Originally posted by Lightning Strykez!
    4.) Tyler: I thought it was clever that he has Ham's last name for a first. But in addition to being the original "Donovan's" "Sean" for this series, he also mirrors the Original Series' "Daniel"--who we know sold out his own due to his obsession with the Visitors. Tyler's quick sign-up to the youth core is a total lift from the 80's series. Which brings us to....
    i didn't think of tyler as a 'sean' archetype at all, but rather as a merger of 'daniel' and 'robin'.

8.) "Christine Walsh" is reborn in Chad Decker. Nuff said. I thought it was good that he wasn't as star struck as Walsh was, yet he is equally ambitious. However, one difference I can see coming is that where Christine was totally wrapped around Diana's finger until it was too late, we already see that Chad is going to have personality clashes with Anna. Her parting stare at him after the broadcast says that she is not even trying to fool him.
    agreed, chat is the new christine, but despite his own suspicions/anger he shelves his own convictions for career advancement, which makes him very similar to 'christine' in my opinion.

i think that marcus is a character that may have his own agenda as well, and he may very well be the 'diana' to 'john', or even 'stephen'. there is bound to be some conflict between marcus and anna.

Comment

Originally posted by sylvestter
      great thread.

don't have much to add - just a few observations.

i didn't think of tyler as a 'sean' archetype at all, but rather as a merger of 'daniel' and 'robin'.

agreed, chat is the new christine, but despite his own suspicions/anger he shelves his own convictions for career advancement, which makes him very similar to 'christine' in my opinion.

i think that marcus is a character that may have his own agenda as well, and he may very well be the 'diana' to 'john', or even 'stephen'. there is bound to be some conflict between marcus and anna.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I considered Tyler to be a "Sean" archetype because Sean was brainwashed and in the television series had it out with Mike constantly over his loyalty to the Visitors (although Diana's daily dosage of procol obviously didn't help matters either).

Is Marcus the Visitor that invited Chad to take the broadcast interview with Anna? If so, I totally agree with your assessment.

He might even turn out to be a "Lydia": someone who will eventually try to outshine/outmanuever Anna. Good call!

Comment

Is Marcus the Visitor that invited Chad to take the broadcast interview with Anna? If so, I totally agree with your assessment.

He might even turn out to be a "Lydia": someone who will eventually try to outshine/outmanuever Anna. Good call!
        yep. marcus is anna's 'right hand man'.

now that i'm thinking about this more, i see erica as being more akin to 'mike' and fr. jack and being more akin to 'julie'.

erica - fbi agent / usually deals in hostile situations / adventurous
        mike - war cameraman / adventurous / no stranger to hostile environments

fr. jack - priest / primary focus to help people / concerned that the visitors have come to be saviours.
        julie - aspiring doctor / primary focus to help people / naturally suspicious of the visitors offer that is 'too good to be true'

Comment

Great thread and i agree with most of it.

If it's true that the resistance will take most of season 1 to grow large, then i really hope that Georgie becomes a regular (not just a guest star). i think he's the new Donovan. I really enjoyed the dialogue and interaction between Georgie and Ryan, especially when Ryan revealed himself and Georgie was visibly shaken.

Comment

I think that it was smart for the powers that be merged several old charactors into this new show.
            Marcus = Lydia, Charles, Pamela
            Tyler = Sean, Robin, Daniel
            Erica = Julie. Robert, and all of the scientists in the V: Original Mini-Serie
            Ryan = Martin, Philip, Willie all of the Fifth Column resistances.
            Father Jack = Father Andrew, Mike, Ham, Kyle from the V: The Serie 1984
            So far I like Ryan the most.
            Tyler is annoying and way too young for Lisa.
            Major speculation below: They will have twins. She will keep the Reptile baby. He will keep the human one. This is just like the original. They did kill off the boy reptile baby. He helped to create the Red Dust that killed the Vs in the Final Battle.

Comment

Originally posted by puppybunny1
              Major speculation below: They will have twins. She will keep the Reptile baby. He will keep the human one. This is just like the original. They did kill off the boy reptile baby. He helped to create the Red Dust that killed the Vs in the Final Battle.
              If there is a beginning, middle and end to the new V, and if they are paying homage to the old V, then I think a hybrid baby will die, they'll discover red dust (or something like it), and it'll end similarly to how the Final Battle ended (minus the nuclear bomb/starchild weirdness in the last few minutes). That's how it should have ended in the original. The whole red dust wearing off was just a way to get the series going and the whole nuclear bomb thing was probably an 11th hour decision by some NBC executive who wanted a more Hollywood ending.

Comment

One character that has yet to have a true countepart is that of Ham Tyler. In the original series, V had a powerful triumvirate in Julie, Ham and Mike. So far we have 2/3rds of that trio dynamic with Eric and Jack. I can't help but keep looking at Georgie for some reason...yet he's not a regular cast member.

Then again, Ham wasn't introduced until the Final Battle....

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎