No announcement yet.

Lois' Lana-esque reaction to Clark not telling her about Oliver

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mr lane
    honestly Lana sort of found out the truth on her own, she had to lock Chloe in a freezer to see if Clark would come save her and watched from behind a rack of wine as Clark used his powers.

I would like Clark to tell Lois himself because he wants to not because she saw him or someone told her.

I agree that Lois did sort of blow her top although she did have reason for it I would be ok with her apologizing
    No Lana had to see it, the same way as Chloe. They had it thrown in their faces because they saw what he could do. I want Lois just to have a hint of who or what he is by the little things, like how fast he grabbed her arm in Rabid(or is it Rabib?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dyanara
      No Lana had to see it, the same way as Chloe. They had it thrown in their faces because they saw what he could do. I want Lois just to have a hint of who or what he is by the little things, like how fast he grabbed her arm in Rabid(or is it Rabib?)

Lana did have hints since the beginning the biggest hint for Season 6 was when Lex hit Clark with that crow bar or whatever it was in Crimson and it bent, she kept that in her drawer we saw that at the end of the episode.

I think everyone on the show has hints they either choose to ignore them or blow up in Clark's face about his lies that is why I like Lois even IF she sees hints she doesn't badger him about it that is why I would prefer Clark tell her on his own because he chooses to that would make her different than anyone else

Comment

• I dont mind Clark eventually telling her, but instead of her being all out shocked, she could just say "I know your different, I know your The Blur and you don't have to be forced to reveal anything you don't want to" That is completely opposite to what Lana did, Chloe kind of stumbled into him telling her by accident because she was about to die.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dyanara
          I dont mind Clark eventually telling her, but instead of her being all out shocked, she could just say "I know your different, I know your The Blur and you don't have to be forced to reveal anything you don't want to" That is completely opposite to what Lana did, Chloe kind of stumbled into him telling her by accident because she was about to die.
          Erica has been asked if Lois knows that Clark is The Blur in the back of her mind and Erica has stated Lois is clueless

which is how it was in the comics, For years everyone wondered how Lois didn't know Clark and Superman were one in the same

Its so obvious to the viewer but the way Lois is written she has no idea which is sort of funny and retarded at the same time Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by mr lane
            Erica has been asked if Lois knows that Clark is The Blur in the back of her mind and Erica has stated Lois is clueless

which is how it was in the comics, For years everyone wondered how Lois didn't know Clark and Superman were one in the same

Its so obvious to the viewer but the way Lois is written she has no idea which is sort of funny and retarded at the same time Lol
            Erica has also said, recently, that she likes to believe that on some level a woman always knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by individuall
              Erica has also said, recently, that she likes to believe that on some level a woman always knows.
              i think everyone knows on SOME level, Lois is just one to be in denial and not realize shes in denial lol

Comment

• Originally posted by cloisthelegendbegins
                So they should kill the secrets and lies with more selective secrets and lies? That helps how exactly?
                Well, at worst it would be half secrets. From Clark's side, it would be honesty, but from Lois' side, it would be apparent somewhat that Clark was either keeping secrets, or if they do a better job, she would think of him as a very weird, but nice guy.

I'm confused. Clark and the Blur are already the same person. The Blur telling Lois he'd recruited Clark to help would still be a lie, Clark would still disappear at the same time the Blur is around and it wouldn't change anything barring the fact the Blur would talk to Clark instead of Lois. So how exactly is the dynamic more interesting by adding that Clark is a friend of the Blur? He has ALREADY backed off from Lois as the Blur. Lois has commented on it plenty of times now.
                I'm not saying they aren't the same person now. I'm saying it all depends on the way they write the scenes. Suppose in Echo, Lois at the end got a call from Clark as the Blur telling her that he has known Clark for a while and asked his help since he wanted to keep Lois out of danger because he (The Blur) knew Toyman would try something and had to nab him before he got away again. And he would have given his reason for having Clark help him be to avoid the same thing that happened when Lois helped him with John Corben in Metallo. The Blur's final words in that chat would have been that this was the reason why Clark wanted her to leave the Ace of Clubs, and not for the reasons he told her (that he wanted the headline). This would not entirely be the truth, since Clark would create the illusion that him & the Blur are different people, but the general truth would be told to Lois rather than total pretenses. The Clark/Blur duality would be totally acceptable as the Clark/Superman duality was for years before Lois knew.

So you could see that this would be a way of Clark communicating the truth to Lois without revealing himself as the Blur. And I could imagine Lois thinking Clark is in on the Blur loop would create some interesting situations in that "triangle of 2" (Clark-Lois-Blur).

Well, first I would point out the obvious that it's not what we've got. The story has already been set in motion and unless you're proposing Lois fall out of love with Clark, in love with the Blur and then back in love with Clark again when she realizes he is the Blur, I really don't see how this can be remedied to your preference. Personally I think doing that would make Lois look fickle at best. Secondly I would point out that a great deal of criticism has been aimed at comic book Lois Lane over the years for falling for the hero while ignoring the great guy right in front of her. Thirdly I would point out that Lois falling for the hero made sense in the days when Superman was considered the real person while Clark Kent was the disguise, something that has never and could never work on Smallville because how can Clark Kent be the disguise for nine seasons before Superman even exists?
                Hmm, I guess Lois could always have her admiration of the Blur overtake her opinion of Clark in case he starts to lose her favor. Or if Lois strongly believes the Blur is in mortal danger and ignore Clark to help him, they could use this approach to get her attracted to the Blur. I really don't know which way they're planning to go with them this season. Maybe Clark will start getting hungry for headlines (something that is wayyyyyy overdue) & Lois will start to dislike him as a result of their competition---which is what happened in the comics. Even though she liked him when they first met & before he scooped her out of the 1st Superman headline, she couldn't stand him for a while after. This can't be ruled out. But she may get criticized for the same thing she was criticized for in the comics when she overlooked Clark. Still doesn't mean the writers won't do it.

I don't want a fickle Lois & I'm well aware of the criticism of Lois in the comics since she didn't care for Clark but loved Superman. That's one of the things that made me like Lana in the comics, but Lana at times was a pain in the ass (b****y). I'm also well aware that Clark is the real person in Smallville, at least so far. The thing is Clark can't be who he really is in front of anyone else other than his inner circle (Martha, Pete, Chloe, and eventually Lois). So it could be that eventually it will be seen that Superman does become the real person at the very end of Smallville since he finally wouldn't have to hide who he is anymore (the thing he most wants). Even though the Blur is the disguise for now, it doesn't mean things can't change once he becomes Superman. But Clark is definitely the developed one between him & his Blur/Superman persona, who is an unseen entity with no history.

I really don't know how they will do this. In the comics, Lois actually saw both Clark & Superman before falling in love with either of them. Here, she's seen Clark, knows of the Blur, but has never seen the Blur's face. The Blur is Clark's way of living his life fully without hiding, though even the Blur is hiding his face, unlike the case with Superman. So what I'm trying to say is that currently, there really isn't the full picture for Lois to see. Clark can't fully be himself with Lois neither as himself nor as the Blur. Since they haven't done anything so far to show the Blur exposing his face to Lois, I guess until something big happens if it happens, we'll have to assume that Lois will continue to stay with Clark and will be in on the secret before he becomes Superman. Or maybe after, but something tells me she will know before the series is over.

But given everything we've seen in the series, it does make sense that Clark will want Lois to fall in love with him rather than the Blur because the Blur is the one who will attract enemies, not Clark (though Lex knows about Clark, but will probably not oust that secret since it gives him too much power over other criminals). So if Lois falls for the Blur, the Blur's enemies will try to kill her to get to him. This was all seen in Action with the Warrior Angel story in that movie.

She fell in love with the real person. The real person didn't feel the same way she did and she became drawn to the hero who seemed to need someone as much as she did. It makes perfect sense in Smallville terms. And even in the comics, when she fell in love and was engaged to Clark before he told her he was Superman, she had an emotional reaction, broke off the engagement and left the country before thinking it through, coming back to talk to him and marrying him. But then it's obviously fine for her to be upset with Clark in the comics, just not in Smallville, right?
                Well, it's OK to be upset with him regardless, but if she's guilty of the same thing Clark is and gets upset with him, she should fess her guilt up later. In the comics, she was definitely bewildered when she found out that Clark was Superman and even upset for a while. But she held off saying yes also because her mother was in the hospital around that time. I'm saying it's OK for her to get upset. If Clark really did something to warrant it that only he's guilty of, then by all means she should be upset. But if she's upset because the well being of one of her closest friends (Oliver) was in jeopardy and Clark hid the fact that he (Oliver) almost killed himself but at the same time she's also guilty since she could have intervened earlier regardless of what Clark was hiding, since she had enough information to know that her close friend was destroying his life at the very minimum, she should fess up after her kneejerk reaction to Clark. This will always be my point with what happened in Roulette.

Because everyone works everything out before they enter a relationship? They know all of each others quirks? Lois knows what Clark has ALLOWED her to know. Clark knows things about her she might not necessarily have wanted him to know because he used the Blur to get that information in the exact same way Superman did with Lois Lane in the comics and pretty much every other incarnation of Superman in every medium. If she falls in love - heck if ANYONE falls in love - with someone and then discovers that person is not the person they thought they were then it's bound to be a shock. In this case, it's fortunate that he's MORE than she'd realized and I strongly believe she'll realize that in the same way every other Lois Lane who found out has.
                I know that people don't necessarily work out their quirks prior to a relationship. The issue here is the time factor. There is at worst 17 episodes left before the series ends. If they hook up at the last of those 17 episodes, I'd rather see them work out their issues before that happens, since once they hook up in episode 22 of this season if that's the series finale it will be too late to show them working out their quirks.

I agree with what you said about someone falling in love being in shock after finding out there's a whole seperate side to them. I'm confused about what you meant by the bolded part. I think you're talking about Lois realizing the reasons why he kept that side of him a secret.

I want to tie what I said about the quirks with what I said in the above paragraph. If Lois does find out his secret in the series, I think it may be a good idea in the 3-4 episodes prior to the one she finds out for the writers to have Lois to see Clark, not as the Blur, have his safety threatened by past enemies of his and to have Lois know that it was Clark who stopped those enemies. A good setup to this is if Lois finds out the Blur's weakness to kryptonite and to have kryptonite be a factor in those 3-4 episodes prior to Lois finding out. That way, she would be certain that the Blur would have been stopped in his tracks & couldn't have helped Clark. In reality, Clark would have willed himself to get past the kryptonite and show increased resistance to it so that he could protect Lois, who would also be in danger due to her association with Clark & her proximity to the situation. What this would do is show Clark's past enemies coming back to haunt him to Lois so that when she learns the secret 3-4 episodes after these events, she will understand why he kept it. I think Lex should be the last threat from his past to come after him, or perhaps the enemies from Clark's past will be explained to have acted on behalf of Lex.

Either way, I don't think Lois' reaction will be what it was in Infamous, even though she was in love with Clark then. My best guess is that it won't be the same due to the investment she will be making into the relationship (considering it takes off soon) and how she will be much deeper involved than she was with Clark in Infamous, which was really not involved at all. In Infamous, she pretty much laughed at the idea he was the Blur. If they use my idea, I definitely think she will be shocked, but would accept him within the same episode. Once again, I say this because of the time factor. Lois won't take time off away from Clark here because there's no time for that.

Isn't that what they've already done, more or less? Lois fell for Clark, realized he didn't feel the same way about her and at the same time started to become infatuated with the Blur. The Blur has now cut communication with her, in other words become unattainable, and she's facing the fact her feelings for Clark haven't changed. That's where we're at as of right now from what I can see. They can't retcon what she felt for Clark in season eight. Well actually, knowing this show yes they could, but I most certainly am not a fan of them and frankly don't see the point in doing that at this stage to fix part of something they already have in place. The dilemma for Lois Lane, more often than not, was how when she fell for Clark she was torn between two men she cared deeply about without realizing they were one and the same. Which is EXACTLY what they're doing on Smallville. So frankly I don't see the problem.
                If it is, they severely cut down the time and didn't even give it closure from the Blur's end by having a phonecall. I'm guessing we will see one & the phonecall thing isn't over yet, but I really have no idea how the nature of their conversations will be like. I hope Clark as the Blur stops her from exposing her feelings about Clark while she's speaking to the Blur, since that would only be fair. Plus, that's how Clark reacted when Ryan was about to tell him Lana's secret regarding him way back in Stray. This is one thing that bothered me of Echo. That ability was just a stupid plot device. I would much rather have seen Clark be told he made a mistake with the bomber & used his actual perception & be surprised by his success with the reactions he got.

I just think they have to elevate the Blur's role in that "Triangle of 2" since lately he's been pretty absent (since Metallo). I would actually like to see competition between Lois & Clark for headlines push Lois closer to the Blur in the near future. It would be good for the classic "Triangle of 2" and much more importantly, it would give Clark headline after headline, which he desperately needs since his career is still at the 0% development level other than getting into the Planet. They have so little time left & have to show Clark loving his job & not being there just because of perks for his heroic persona & because Lois is there. They have to show him being developed into a reporter & not just stay as a copyboy. And that competition would be great for that, which now is the most important development needed & the most untouched aspect of Clark's character and would also improve the Lois-Blur dynamic since it has been lacking since Metallo. Lois is very believable as a reporter now after 3 years of getting headlines. The same is not even close to being true with Clark.

For the rest of Smallville, Clark needs to get at least 80-90% of the headlines since nothing has been done with him & there's so little time to credibly develop him into a reporter who loves his job. And like I said in many threads, a red-k episode would light the fire behind it. Many red-k episodes had discussions between Clark & his parents about how his behavior didn't originate from nowhere and how deep down he really wanted to live the way he did while on red-k. They could do the same thing by showing red-k's effects on Clark's career (and even the Blur) by having him become very competitive for headlines (while having the Blur outhero Green Arrow & humiliate him) and have another discussion like the one between Clark & his parents about how deep down he really wanted those headlines, but here it would instead be between Clark & Lois. It's undeniable that Clark needs to be shown having headlines printed in the paper with his name on them. This to me is the #1 thing that has to happen before Clois or anything else--since they could always do the Clois setup and leave it to happen at the series end. But Clark needs to be a reporter before the series ends, as it's part of his iconic duality. I'd rather see both him becoming a reporter & Clois, but if time only allows 1, I easily choose the reporter development as I think everyone watching the show should since we should have a complete Clark Kent before we have a relationship where Lois already knows his secret. Otherwise, this Clark Kent is an incomplete work. They could have started this but dropped the ball in Instinct, Prey, Bulletproof, and again in Echo (there was no headline since he never submitted anything & neither Tess nor any paper would take a day-old headline).

So what you're saying is obstacles and knee-jerk reaction in the comics were overcome and they still had a relationship that went pretty well. So this is different in Smallville because...???
                I guess there were obstacles in Smallville. They were definitely of a different type, but they had some. The only thing is many of them were when they weren't mutually into each other (like in season 8). We haven't seen too many obstacles yet this season, but it's still early, so I'll wait. Obstacles aren't even a necessity. They just make the journey to them being together so much sweeter.

Well her mother being in hospital isn't likely to happen in Smallville. I would argue the question still remains whether or not Lois will be able to take his secret. First up, the last time she was told his secret, she took it well and it was CLARK who had difficulty with it when it threatened the safety of those around him. It was LOIS who wanted him to stay and fight and prove everyone wrong. But that was prior to him using the Blur to become closer to her. It was prior to her infatuation with the Blur and her conversations with Clark ABOUT the Blur. There's no way to know how she'll react to that as of yet.
                It certainly won't since unlike in the comics, she died when Lois was very young. But, this is pretty much what I said myself above. They could quicken her acceptance of the secret if they use my suggestion.

And again with the pre-set conditions for dating. Wouldn't you agree there are plenty of people on the planet who are attracted to, interested in and/or fall for someone THEN date them and get to know them better, then experience good and bad times together and if their relationship works they STAY together? Relationships with others are no more of a guaranteed 'done deal' than the characters in a story are while their journey is ongoing. Life isn't tied up into a neat little package each and every step of the way. If it is, then I'm obviously doing something wrong. Personally I think I've learned more from my mistakes than I have from the successes than came easily to me.
                I agree, but remember that darn time factor. They wasted too much time especially in seasons 6 & 7. Lois has known Clark for years, but never in the way she will be knowing him in the remainder of the season. Clark was never compared to her acceptance criteria since she never considered anything with him until season 8. But you know that.

I sincerely hope you're not suggesting she should be the passive wife who agrees with everything her husband says and does even when she thinks he's wrong. Apart from the fact I feel that's a little 19th century for me, it's NOT Lois Lane and never has been. In ANY incarnation.
                Not passive. Just not impulsive with him since that type of thing doesn't work with Clark/Superman. Lois in the comics has shown tough love when Clark/Superman needed it and pretty much the same values she's shown in the series (like to Chloe in Pariah). I think she should be like she was in Infamous to tell you the truth. They made an awesome team. And she was nothing like her impulsive self to him. The impulsive nature is a result of her impatience with people due to her perception that she has to carry the burden alone since she doesn't trust that those people she's impulsive with are capable. It stems from her upbringing with Sam Lane (part of her tough facade/exterior). But once she knows Clark is the Blur/Superman, that perception of him will be smashed. I know I'm right about this since we're already seeing signs of this now & last season and because I've been following these characters long before this show & others before it ever existed. We already realized how much her impulsiveness with Clark changed since Crusade. It's still there, but not nearly as much. Lois will also realize how large the decisions Clark will have to make & how full his plate is once she knows the secret and will definitely cut him more slack. But the communication will be so much better. But if the situation calls for it, she will also smack him with a dose of reality or will give him compliments, which all help Clark stay connected to humanity. The only thing is, unless Clark has a sudden change to really get him to act like Superman, which I haven't witnessed yet, Smallville's Clark is already well anchored to humanity. More than any Clark I've ever read or watched.

And again I completely disagree. No-one should have to change for anyone. Otherwise why did they fall in love with them in the first place. You want them to be different then it's not them you want IMO. By all means they can LEARN from each other and balance each other out but if Clark falls in love with Lois flaws and all and Lois falls in love with Clark secrets and lies and all and they're shown to be happy then I don't think anyone has the right to tell them they should change to fit someone else's ideal.
                I think people tend to want to improve upon their flaws, especially for a spouse. I don't know any marriage that worked where people going into prior to the marriage act the same exact way as they do while they're in it. People instead tend to grow up and ditch certain behaviors they had while they were alone that would be very unattractive to their spouse. I'm not saying a complete change since I'm against it, but definitely some changes are needed. Both Clark & Lois have personality issues that will never work if they don't ditch them. They're supposed to make each other better (it's not only Lois making Clark a better Superman, but Clark making Lois a better person too). Smallville's Clark is very cautious & secretive. He doesn't trust people & has kept secrets, even from his friends & family who know his secret. This area of Clark needs improvement. Meanwhile, Lois is impulsive and at times can be very rude. I was very put off by what she said about Edward Murrow (out of all people...him?) in the beginning of Stiletto. Clark brings much better morals to the table since he learned them from the Kents and I think Lois will pick up on them, because just as Lois won't let him get away with holding his head high given his powers, Clark won't let her get away with treating people rudely (like he did to Chloe in the opening scene of Kinetic when she was rude to Lex). I noticed a big change in the comics when Lois started hanging around Martha & Jonathan once she & Clark were married.

So the passion she has should be muted in her relationship with Clark. Gotcha.
                I said flare, not passion. By flare I meant her fiery reactive nature. It will definitely change because she will think more when dealing with Clark once she knows about him than she does now. It will be a whole different magnitude for Lois, one where being impulsive will not work & would cause a lot of trouble. And Clark's need for her input will improve a flaw of hers (her impulsive nature). We even saw it in Infamous. She was for him staying & fighting, but once Clark let her know how he wanted people to know his secret, but not under those circumstances, she stopped arguing. If she saw Clark give up on something if she didn't know his secret, she would definitely not keep quiet about it & not let him give up (would be all over his ass). So she will be passionate like she was in Infamous, but before reacting, she will do a lot more thinking & limit her kneejerk reactions. After all, that's what Clark will need from her. Otherwise she would be useless as a confidant. There will probably be some matters where Lois will provide a quick answer/resolution to Clark since he will probably tend to overcomplicate things while she will see things in a simpler light. This is the beauty of their relationship.

He's already fulfilling the first requirement. And if the second requirement is to show more trust in Lois then why are we even having this discussion. I agree. He SHOULD have trusted her and TALKED TO HER about Ollie when she TRUSTED HIM and ASKED HIM about Ollie. The 'compromise' in the comics was no more of a done deal IMO than any other part of the relationship that took over fifty years to end in marriage.
                He has, but Doomsday really set him back somewhat. I really wonder what will happen if he finds out Chloe killed Sebastian and finds out what she did to Oliver in Roulette. I think that may screw him up more since he's relied on Chloe so much and still trusts her to a degree. I think at the very minimum he should have done something to help Oliver--at least have him kept under observation--while asking him if he should tell Lois. That would have covered his bases since he was ensuring Ollie was fine and also going along with Ollie's wishes, which even if they involved secrecy from Lois, it would have prevented any chance of anything happening to him in the meantime. He should have also tried to do a better job of intervening before the attempt. That's what Clark should have done. If he did that Lois wouldn't have an argument. But Lois also did wrong in that she, like Clark, also didn't do anything to help Oliver before his attempt when she knew he showed signs that at the very minimum were detrimental to his health. She knew about his pill-popping ways, and given what happens to people (especially real celebrities, who have been mentioned in Smallville episodes) who take those things, she should have known that he could have been moments from death/OD'ing. So this is what I think should have made her fess up to Clark after getting upset with him, that she was no better of a friend to Oliver in his ordeal than Clark was. Is this unreasonable?---not by any means IMO.

The 50 years did have various eras and character portrayals of Lois (from Superman fan to Superman stalker to being aloof about Superman to being a Superman fan again to finally loving Clark over Superman). I'm not sure about how everyone else looks at it, but since so many things changed after the Crisis, I always took from the Crisis to the time they got married, which was about 4 to 5 years, since they were written very consistently since then to this day. Other than that, it was like comparing apples to oranges. And 50 years in real life is nothing like it in comics time, where characters don't really age much or consistently (though in Batman comics, the various Robins aged & became adults while Bruce looked unchanged, at least before his recent "death").
                Last edited by xrayvision; 10-28-2009, 01:57 AM.

Comment

• I found this bit of dialogue from the episode Velocity that seemed apropos to this discussion:
                  CLARK: Once you get started on a really good story, you can't stop until you get to the bottom.
                  CHLOE: I just chatted with the motor heads up in auto shop. Your source wouldn't happen to be Pete "the boss" Ross, would it? I understand protecting your source. But we're talking about a friend of mine who is putting his life at risk every time he goes for the checkered flag.
                  CLARK: Pete asked me to keep it a secret. I'm keeping my word.
                  CHLOE: Yeah, but, Clark, you of all people should know that when your friend is doing something reckless, sometimes keeping a secret hurts more than it helps. He needs a friend. Now, Pete might listen to me.
                  CLARK: What's that supposed to mean?
                  CHLOE: It's called sibling rivalry. You and Pete are practically brothers. Now, from what I've heard, sometimes it's difficult to take advice from your sibling.

Comment

• The main difference though is that Chloe knew nothing about what Pete was doing in that episode until she investigated why Clark was investigating Jason Dante. In this episode, Lois, like Clark, knew that Oliver was doing reckless things, but just not how deep he was in which Clark did know. And both Clark & Lois had a chance of helping him before the attempt but did not help him as he needed. Yet the blame was only placed on Clark.

Comment

• Originally posted by xrayvision
                      The main difference though is that Chloe knew nothing about what Pete was doing in that episode until she investigated why Clark was investigating Jason Dante. In this episode, Lois, like Clark, knew that Oliver was doing reckless things, but just not how deep he was in which Clark did know. And both Clark & Lois had a chance of helping him before the attempt but did not help him as he needed. Yet the blame was only placed on Clark.
                      Perhaps because Clark KNEW he was SUICIDAL.

Lois didn't find out until she saw the video.

Comment

• Clark has always been secretive about things, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but with the whole alien thing, he's probably used to keeping everything else a secret, and I honestly don't think if I was in Clark's position, that I'd tell Lois, I might discuss it with Chloe as I can have a full conversation about the circumstances involving it, but talking about it with Lois who would only get half of the information due to secrets being kept, it's not worth having someones advice when they don't know the full problem, and to be honest, Lois was being a little harsh on him, she was justified in the lying bit though.

Comment

• Originally posted by amberdawn
                          Whatever.
                          ITA.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡