Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why oh why didn't Clark go back to the DP in his glasses!?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, glasses were a great disguise prop for the origins of Supes, even to CR (OK, BR has em, too), but I could just see ED/Lois looking at TW/Clark and saying something like, "...'Smatter, Smallville, never heard of lasik???"

Comment

Originally posted by ox007
      Smallville has a little different take on Superman, I didn't expect any glasses right now, maybe it does fit in the comics, but Smallville is a different cup of tea
      And the award for the understatement of the century goes to: Mik-El aka Mike!

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Jor-El
        You know, glasses were a great disguise prop for the origins of Supes, even to CR (OK, BR has em, too), but I could just see ED/Lois looking at TW/Clark and saying something like, "...'Smatter, Smallville, never heard of lasik???"
        Right. I can't see Clark wearing glasses after all this time of not wearing them. It would be different if he came in wearing them when he began working at the DP but on SV that isn't the case. So for him to begin wearing them now would be strange for me. I'm certainly not opposed to him wearing them as long as there is a justifiable reason for him to begin wearing them at this late date.

Comment

I still want glasses. I'm a traditionalist. It would have solved so many problems on this show especially now that he's working a dual identity.

Comment

Originally posted by Exedore
            And the award for the understatement of the century goes to: Mik-El aka Mike!
            Wowsers I don't know what to say! I'm speachless, um thanks!! I'm so delighted, I promise I'm gonna think of a new and even better one after the next episode!

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01
              Again. Why would he choose glasses as a disguise?

Just showing up in them with some throwaway line about his eye site going bad would be stupid. There has to be a set up given as to why he thinks only glasses will work as a disguise, and they haven't done that yet.
              Very good point, there is no reason for Clark to hide or take attention away from his face yet. There is no face to the Blur so why would Clark start hiding something that doesnt need to be hidden yet?

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by sithius
              Any excuse he comes up with as to why he's suddenly wearing glasses won't be any more viable if used at a later date than if it was used in this episode. So I really cannot see what you're trying to say.
              There could be various reasons as to why Clark could end up wearing glasses in later eps. Heck he could be in a fire and say "Oh no my eyesight is diminished a little, now I wear glasses" Or he could just use the getting older scenario. People have to start wearing glasses at various time for reasons nobody knows. Its not like anybody is going to look into his medical records.
              Last edited by Dyanara; 10-07-2009, 12:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I thought they missed an opportunity to introduce the glasses last year, after Clark started working at the Planet. It would have been very natural for him to start wearing glasses whenever he was working on the computer, complaining that the screen was causing eyestrain. While the glasses would not have worked as a disguise in the ususal sense, they might help him keep Lois from figuring out the truth. After all, the "Blur", with his superhuman powers, isn't likely to complain about eyestrain.

Of course, the really smart thing would have been if he had kept his glasses after "Whisper" in Season 3. So many opportunities wasted!

Comment

Clark is still the Blur so no one ever sees his face so there would be no point for him to wear glasses as Clark Kent. I'm sure when he gets closer to becoming Superman they'll add the glasses but at this point there unnecessay.

Comment

Clark's Glasses

Actually there WAS an explanation for the glasses and WHY this simple trick works to hide his identity.

It was explained (more years ago than I care to admit to) that the lens of his glasses were made from transparent material from his space ship, and when he wore them, they magnified "some natural ability" and influenced people to PERCIEVE him as looking differently than he actually looks.

I forget which issue it was it, but it provided a "believable" explanation at the time. Not sure it would work today. but I do believe the writes will come up with something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Dyanara
                      Very good point, there is no reason for Clark to hide or take attention away from his face yet. There is no face to the Blur so why would Clark start hiding something that doesnt need to be hidden yet?
                      Originally posted by angie_casas
                      Clark is still the Blur so no one ever sees his face so there would be no point for him to wear glasses as Clark Kent. I'm sure when he gets closer to becoming Superman they'll add the glasses but at this point there unnecessay.
                      I think the point is to create a somewhat more believable period of time between the time people close to Clark know his face without glasses and when they see Superman's face. Otherwise they should immediately recognize Supes as Clark. The ideal situation would be for Clark to have donned glasses before he reached adulthood, so that final changes to his appearance due to growth/aging take place while he's hidden behind the glasses. That way when people like Lois see Superman's face for the first time, they don't really have a point of comparison. Now the show has no choice but to come up with some cheap magical way for Lois (and everybody else who sees him regularly, like people at the DP) to not recognize the two are obviously the same person. Because without some sort of magic trick it won't be believable in the slightest.

Besides the glasses, in the movies their personalities were different. Clark was a bumbling coward, and Superman was the opposite. But here, Clark is normal. Unless he decides to take on a crazy new personality for Superman. So any way you slice it, SV's got their work out for them to make this believable, without resorting to something cheap like the memory stealing kiss from Superman 2, or something else just as silly or convenient.
                      Last edited by Xanderman; 10-07-2009, 04:49 PM.

Comment

At this point, I think the glasses are kind of not necessary...IF they had KEPT the glasses on Clark way back when, that would be different.

I'm willing to bet they're going more towards the \S/ will be the "magic" that protects his identity....

Comment

Originally posted by DiverJim
                          Actually there WAS an explanation for the glasses and WHY this simple trick works to hide his identity.

It was explained (more years ago than I care to admit to) that the lens of his glasses were made from transparent material from his space ship, and when he wore them, they magnified "some natural ability" and influenced people to PERCIEVE him as looking differently than he actually looks.

I forget which issue it was it, but it provided a "believable" explanation at the time. Not sure it would work today. but I do believe the writes will come up with something similar.
                          That is a good explanation. Thank you. Superman's 'disguise' has always bothered me because it was not a disguise. Glasses don;t block anything. You can still see its him. So I really don;t care about the glasses. But he did look so cute in them in Apocalypse, so i wouldn't mind them.

Comment

Zatana could give him magic glasses that change people's perception of Clark...

Comment

I'm torn on the glasses issue. I know Clark Kent needs them, but there's this small fact that Tom Welling is so gosh-darn gorgeous, I don't want him stuck in them most of the time. Once he starts wearing them, (and there is no reason really on Smallville for him to yet- he doesn't even think he's going to ever be seen doing his super stuff!) there will be no going back for most of the hour. Are the girl viewers really ready for that.

I vote for just an occasional putting them on at his desk for reading purposes to get Lois (us) used to them.

Comment

I don't know how many of you ever watched LnC, TNAOS, BUT in one episode, Clark dons a new pair of glasses and ask Lois what she thinks of them. She replies with, "Have you ever thought of contacts".

In another episode, Clark tells Lois that Jimmy has suggested a new look for him, contacts and a pierced ear ring.

Seriously, Clark returning with Glasses at this time would have been a good idea.

As a teenager, I was a silver age Superman comic reader. Sometimes they came up with some very imaginary ways to explain things.
                                Superman had but a post hypnotic suggestion on all of Metropolis and presumeably the whole world that when Clark Kent put on a pair of glasses, no one would recognize him as Superman.

But if tptb try to end Smallville with some stupid mind wipe, I will burn my SV seasons dvd.
                                Last edited by supercatmom; 10-13-2009, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎