"C.K." - an AU Chlark Fic, PG-13/R

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ch II, section 2

(About Eight Months Earlier)

Chloe walked up the long stairway of creaky wooden steps to Clark’s loft, and with each step the weight in her heart grew heavier, until she could barely move. He was waiting for her, standing in front of his old couch, his hands nervously kneading together.

It had only been a week since Bizarro was defeated, but to Clark it had felt like an eternity. He had barely seen Chloe since that afternoon in her apartment, and he hadn’t been able to stop thinking about what had happened between them. He wanted to talk to her at Lana’s funeral the other day – but neither of them could vocalize even a single word. So he had finally got up the nerve to leave her a message on her cell, asking her to meet him in his loft.

Ever since then Clark had been pacing back and forth. He couldn’t wait to see her. Despite the mountains of sorrow, guilt, rage, and confusion that he had been drowning in all week – he couldn’t help but smile whenever he thought of Chloe. Just being around her was like a drug, and the happiness wiped everything else away - leaving only a bright white feeling of joy that blinded him to every other emotion or thought. And when he was away from her all he could think about was how he needed to get back to her. He was addicted.

And now she was standing in front of him, and he could barely breathe.

“You wanted to talk?” Chloe asked, trying to stay calm. But Clark could hear her heart pounding like thunder. He had been listening to it for the last five minutes while she was still on her way.

“Yeah,” Clark nodded, “Well…um… it’s just that we haven’t really had a chance to talk since…” Clark was amazed at how nervous he was.

“Oh yeah… right.” Chloe looked down with obvious apprehension. “Well, I don’t think we really need to talk Clark. I mean, we were linked somehow, so I could see your thoughts, you could see mine… and so I think we already know how the other person feels… ” Her heart pounded impossibly harder.

“No, you’re right, you’re right…” Clark kept nodded nervously, but then stepped closer to her, taking her hands into his and took a deep calming breath. “But I just wanted you to know that I still feel the same way. I could do what I’ve done in the past - and obsess about what happened,” he paused to take another deep breath, “…and I won’t lie Chloe, I regret a lot of things that have happened over the last few months – and wish I could change them…”

Chloe looked down to hide the tears rising into her eyes.

“But,” Clark continued, lifting her chin back up with his index finger, till he could see her glassy green eyes, “The one thing I wouldn’t change is what happened between us. I could never ever regret that – okay?”

Chloe nodded shakily and let out a sigh of relief, “Okay, me neither. It’s just such a huge change for us. I guess I got worried that it would be easier for you to just slip back into the way things were, into just being friends, or friends-with-benefits or something.”

“Chloe!” Clark exclaimed, a hurt expression on his face. He was surprised that she would even think that. “Of course not! I would never take you for granted like that!”

“I know, I know. It’s just… well it’s just that…” Chloe couldn’t bring herself to say what she was really thinking; especially now that he had just said everything she could have hoped for.

“What is it Chloe?” Clark pressed.

“Clark, what happened - happened, and I’m not going to pretend it didn’t – but…”

Clark’s heart fell…

“You just lost Lana, you were emotionally vulnerable, and so was I. Maybe we still are…”

“Chloe no!” Clark interrupted. “You know that’s not what it was about…”

“Maybe – but that is why it happened – admit it,” she pressed, “It never would have happened if we both weren’t so distraught. We just can’t build a relationship on top of this tragedy …”

Clark couldn’t deny that she was dead-on about the reason – but now everything had changed for him – and he wasn’t going to let her resort to her classic defensive mechanisms this time. He couldn’t risk wasting another moment with her.

“Okay… maybe you’re right,” he conceded, “…and maybe it’s not a good time to start a relationship, I mean – I still love Lana on some level, maybe I always will, and so maybe it’s not healthy or whatever… maybe I should take some time to grieve or to heal or something…”

Clark suddenly threw up his hands in simulated surrender, "But I can’t help it Chloe, I’ve never felt like this before, and I don't even know how it's possible to feel this way - especially right now… but ever since that day I can’t stop thinking about you, can't stop thinking that maybe I'm falling for you - and I just can’t go back to being friends. If we do that then I’m not sure we’ll ever have another chance at… well, at this…”

And with those pleading words he leaned down and kissed her softly, holding his lips to hers for what seemed like a torturously short second, then pulling back to look into her teary eyes, he continued…

“I’m not proud that it took something like this to bring us together, and I’m still a wreck inside, but you know that… you understand…” His voice cracked with emotion as her little hand squeezed his in response.

“I know I have no right to ask this of you Chloe, and I don’t want to hurt you, or take advantage of your feelings, but I want to give this a chance. That is, if you want to…”

Chloe smiled in awe at the hope and affection in Clark’s eyes. She knew it was a bad idea. She knew she should say no, give him space to really recover from Lana on his own. But she couldn’t. It was like he was the sun itself, pulling her in with a gravity she could never hope to resist. All she could do was nod in response. For once she was speechless and he could not stop talking.

Clark smiled in relief, “I don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow Chloe, or how things will work out. The only thing I DO know is that you have always been here, beside me, through every imaginable disaster and tragedy – and you have never given up on me. You’ve always been so much more than a friend to me Chloe, and now… after the other night… well I can’t help what I am feeling, and maybe it is wrong, but I won’t apologize for it either…”

Chloe nodded with a faint smile, her eyes on fire with a love that Clark now recognized…

“I’m not sorry either Clark, although I guess I should be since it was my fault. But I had no idea that my abilities could affect you that way, affect us both…”

“I’m glad they did Chloe. But this isn’t about your abilities,” He replied with a smile. “They’re not affecting me anymore, and I still want to be with you.”

“That’s a very good point,” Chloe said, blushing slightly at the intense look in Clark’s eyes. A shy smile flitted across her face as she glanced nervously away. She knew she would never get used to him looking at her that way. She felt like she would just float away if he didn’t stop.

But he didn’t stop. Instead, he leaned in to kiss her again, deeply this time, his lips parting just enough so that he could pull her lower lip into his mouth. She kissed him back, opening her mouth farther, letting his tongue find hers again and again. And this time he was thinking clearly. And all he could think about was her…

Chloe stood on her tip toes at the top of the stairs, wrapped her arms around Clark’s neck, and kissed him with all her heart, sinking into his body as he wrapped his arms around her – pulling her so tight against him that she could barely breathe.

Time seemed to stand still for just a moment, but the spell was broken as Clark pulled away - his eyes flashing with an unabated hunger for something he couldn’t quite articulate.

“I just wish I could get into your head again, you know – like last time…” he complained – never taking his eyes off her lips.

“Well it’s not a light switch Clark, I can’t just turn my powers on and off at will, I can’t really control them at all.”

“I guess I knew that, I was just hoping…” he hinted as his hand trailed little circles across her lower back.

“I know…” Chloe replied. “I wish I could get there too, under your skin I mean. It was pretty incredible…”

“Yeah.” Clark was silent for a long time, his finger tracing a lazy line from Chloe’s jaw to her neckline. She started to get dizzy as her knees began to buckle at his touch. Oh God, she thought, I’m not going to make it…

“But you know…” he finally said, “…there was something about last time that I didn’t like…”

“What?” Chloe asked nervously…

“I kinda regretted that my first time… with you… like that… was well…”

“Just spit it out Clark.” Chloe interrupted impatiently – already picturing his naked chest and hating that red-flannel shirt more than she had ever hated anything.

“Well it’s just that I was so detached from what was going on – you know – physically. I mean – don’t get me wrong – it was incredible, like you said, but the physical parts are kinda fuzzy – except at the end – which was…”

“Yeah, I know Clark, I was there too…” Chloe giggled, and immediately felt silly for doing so. “I gotta say though - I was happily surprised at the whole alien/meteor freak combo. Between the two of us it was quite a light show.”

Clark smiled down at her, showing her with the gleam in his eye that he shared her opinion. He started to back her slowly towards the couch, suddenly feeling like an encore.

“Yeah, and I wouldn’t mind seeing that show again…” he teased, pulling suggestively at the low-cut collar of her red silk blouse with his index finger. She pretended not to have noticed his advances and continued, sitting down next to him.

“So what did you think? About what you saw, in my mind - I mean…” Chloe asked with genuine curiosity. But Clark was not going to let her change the subject. He was sick of being somber and serious. His heart was overflowing with joy at being near her, kissing her, seeing her contagious smile. It was time to play, and this time he was determined to win. Chloe had no idea what she was in for...

“Well…” He answered slowly, a determinedly playful smile spreading across his face. “It was a little overwhelming – and that’s not even including the electrical finale… I don’t know Chloe – maybe you’re just too much for me to handle…” He said jokingly as he rolled her onto her back, kissing her neck with a smile.

“I don’t know about that...” she pretended to wonder out loud, trying hard not to giggle as he kissed a trail down the line of her blouse. “But I have a lot of faith in you Clark. You do have super powers after all, if anyone can handle me – it’s gotta be you.”

“True...” Clark drawled out slowly, his eyes panned down over her hungrily as she stretched out on the couch beneath him. The look in his eyes was positively primeval. “I guess there is only one way to find out. I just wish...”

And then a cunning smile spread across his face, his eyes lighting up as an idea dawned on him, “Hey - just promise me one thing Chloe…”

“What’s that?” Chloe asked, biting her lip with anticipation as she worked impateintly to undo the buttons of his red flannel shirt, wishing she could just rip it open.

“Don’t take your eyes off mine – even for a second – okay? Promise me.” He seemed very serious all of a sudden and Chloe gulped as the butterflies in her stomach started to turn to a deep twisting heat. I guess there is more than one way to read someone’s mind, she thought with excitement.

“I promise…” she barely got the words out before she felt the weight of him pressing down on her as he pinned her to the couch. But all she could see was the fire in his eyes – and she never blinked.

To jump to section three click here
    Last edited by Marfeic2011; 09-04-2009, 03:30 PM. Reason: Additions

Comment

Very interesting updates...I am very intrigued for the present line of time and very interested by the past line of time.

I like so much that Clark don't given up in his feeling fro Chloe and fight for her. She deserves it and it show her that his feeling are true. Also Chloe have fear of accept him, but I think that she are every time more near to trust him with her heart as she trusted always with her life.

Comment

Very Important Story Note

Okay, I hope no one minds, but this is a rewrite afterall - so although over 90% of the story is brand new, there are some similiar arcs in my first story and even some scenes that go unchanged. I hope no one will remember my old story so that it doesn't get confusing. This next scene is vital although where I take this arc is VERY different from what I did last time, but I only made minor changes - mostly in the beginning intro.

Thanks RedGiant & everyone for your lovely comments - and I hope that jumping timelines will not get confusing.

Thanks for reading and please remember that comments are always welcome & appriciated.
        Last edited by Marfeic2011; 09-01-2009, 09:17 AM.

Comment

II, Section 3

III.
          (Meanwhile)

Tess Mercer stood looking out over the empty and desolate valley below Reeves Dam. A crude path of destruction now stretched through the formerly majestic forest; and a gaping hole in the side of the Dam reminded everyone who saw it of the tragic events the week before. Water still flooded many sections of the interior tunnels and corridors, and new lakes had sprouted throughout the forest and around the rubble.

Tess still could not believe that Lex was in jail, awaiting trial for Lana's murder. And with Lionel still missing, he had put her in charge of the entire LutherCorp empire. It had been a tumultuos week for Tess, but her priority right now was getting to the bottom of some unexplained events surrounding last weeks catastrophe - not the least of which were reports of flying people shooting fire from their eyes combined with a lab full of massacred scientists.

Not sure what to make of all this, she had ordered a sweep of the surrounding forrest lands, partnering with the special government task force that had been sent to investigate. It had taken two days - but it appeared as if they had finally found something that could provide some answers.

As she made her way down the crumbling hillside, Tess saw what she had come for. A large amethyst colored metallic object was jutting sideways out of the ground - in what used to be the bottom of Reeve’s Dam. It was about three times the size of an SUV, shaped roughly like an arrowhead - and nearly flat, with no discernable entrance or exit. Luther’s men and some “suits” from their government partners were already there. She counted thirty guards encircling that section of the forest; they were dressed like commandoes and armed with automatic weapons. In the middle of all this was a group of scientists she recognized from the 33.1 labs. One of them looked up to see her approaching and waved her through the perimeter.

“Ms. Mercer I presume?” Dr. Kensington inquired as she approached; his pale blue eyes peered at her from inside the deep recesses of a face gnarled with aged.

“Yes, and you are Dr. Kensington,” She stated curtly, extending her hand to the hunched over skeleton in the white lab coat. He must be over a hundred years old! Tess thought, surprised that he was still alive. She had not seen him for over a year and he looked as close to death’s door as he had then.

“Yes ma’am. I will be overseeing the excavation and analysis of this… “craft.” Dr. Kensington replied, looking over at the object even as he continued to speak to her: “Am I also to understand that Mr. Luthor has put you in charge of his company and various research projects during his incarceration?”

“Yes, that’s correct. And we need to get this back to the new facility and examine it as fast as possible,” she said emphatically, cautiously stepping closer to inspect it herself.

The space ship (which she recognized it instantly to be) was engraved with strange, unfamiliar symbols. She reached out to touch it, her fingers brushing the cool - almost liquid smoothness of a metallic substance she had never seen before. Her heart was pounding so fast she could hear the blood pulsing in her ears – Lex had been right all along.

Tess stared in wide-eyed awe at the shimmering silhouette before her. She had read Lex’s reports of the first ship and the super-powered couple that it had carried to Smallville in the last meteor shower. She had seen the pictures, read the chemical and metallurgic analyses – but this…. to see it up close, to touch it… this made everything so real for her. She was touching something from another world…

Dr. Kensington was now barking orders to a burly group of men with ropes, pulleys, shovels, and some other high-tech equipment. They were getting ready to remove the ship from the ground so they could load it onto the oversized eighteen-wheeler parked fifty feet back from the edge of the Dam.

Suddenly there was a shout, and gunfire erupted from all around. Tess instinctively threw herself face down on the damp earth – then crawled frantically behind the only real shelter that was nearby – the ship. The sounds of men screaming and sporadic gunfire came from all directions and Tess peered out from behind the corner of the ship to find the source.

It was a young woman. She was hovering in the air, about seven feet above the ground. Her pale blonde hair flowed around her like a veil, her white cloak shimmered in the mid-day sun, and her torso glittered with the sparks of…

At first Tess didn’t believe her eyes – the sparks were bullets bouncing of her chest like she was made of solid steel – which couldn’t be….

Tess suddenly remembered that Lex had been babbling yesterday about an “angel” that had pulled him from the water and then flew away into the sky. This woman fit the physical description Lex had given – even though at the time his staff had thought that he had been hallucinating or that he had some kind of breakdown caused by the combined trauma of Lana’s death and the destruction of his prototype project. But now Tess understood – this alien’s appearance and that of her ship had something to do with the destruction of the Dam – and Lex had been right there when it happened.

Tess blinked - and the strange being was suddenly across the clearing, the half dozen men who had been shooting at her were sprawled out like bowling pins across the ground, unconscious. The remaining dozen or so guards spun around to face their enemy – only to find she was no longer there – and their guns had been stripped from their hands before they even had time to aim.

To Tess it seemed the woman simply appeared and disappeared at will, wherever she wanted, easily disabling the guards in a matter of moments. She picked up one of them like he was a baseball bat and hurled him into the remaining guards who were rushing at her in mass. They all were knocked violently backwards and sent flying in multiple directions through the air - crashing with a sickening thud into the trees - and then falling lifeless onto the forest floor.

Then there was silence, a deafening silence. No one moved a muscle. The four scientists cowered in a huddle behind a broken tree, and the alien woman seemed willing to ignore them. She floated through the air - over to where Tess was hiding behind the ship.

“GET AWAY FROM MY SHIP!” She shouted at Tess, who had already started to slowly back away toward the shelter of the tree-line.

“We w-were only trying to keep it safe,” Tess stuttered, carefully walking backwards.

“I don’t believe you – you were trying to steal it! NOW BACK OFF!” Her eyes flashed red with fire.

“No! We’re not your enemy - we want to help you…” Tess continued adamantly, still walking backwards slowly - but she never lost eye contact with the terrifyingly beautiful creature above her.

“You’re lying! I won’t warn you again!” Her eyes were fierce and unflinching, and her regal voice cut through the air like knife.

But as she reached the edge of tree line, the woman’s expression suddenly changed - all the color instantly draining from her face. She fell from the sky to the ground, clutching her stomach and curling into a fetal position. Tess stood paralyzed, seeing the agonizing pain, fear, and surprise in the alien’s eyes. Tess looked around to see what had caused this – but there was no one still standing – other than her and the cowardly scientists.

Suddenly she noticed some meteor rocks scattered throughout the tree-line that seemed to be glowing with a brilliant emerald light that she had never seen before… and the light almost seemed to be pulsating… and Tess inhaled sharply as she suddenly realized …

It’s the meteor rocks! She is affected by meteor rocks! She was elated at this discovery and while the woman was looking the other way – Tess leaned over to the nearest pile of rocks, grabbed a fist-sized meteorite and shoved it in her jacket pocket. Tess looked over her shoulder to see the alien trying to crawl to her knees. Her elegant face was turning a sickening grayish-green hue. Tess’ elated expression changed to feigned concern as she slowly turned around and approached the young woman laying helpless on the ground.

“I can help you - take my hand.” Tess reached out her arms to help the woman to her feet, and not waiting for permission, put one thin white arm over her neck, and helped the stranger stagger to her feet, half-dragging her farther away from the tree-line. The woman seemed to recover some of her strength, and managed to stand, slumping weakly against a tree. Tess was pleased to see that the lovely creature was still in terrible pain, and her color had not improved much.

“What… what was that?” The alien’s voice was now softer, afraid.

“I tried to warn you,” Tess bluffed – her mind searching for a way to spin this around to their favor. “We were trying to protect you, to protect your ship. We have to get you out of here or our government will try to catch you – they’ll kill you if they can. They have a weapon that can destroy your kind – a... toxin that’s poison to your people - they must have found us and released it into the forest somehow - we can protect you – but we must get you out of here…” Tess continued to spurt out whatever came to mind, supporting the suddenly frail creature with one arm as they hobbled over to the nearest black hummer. Tess helped her get into the back seat, discreetly shoving the meteor rock in a compartment directly beneath the woman’s seat. The girl moaned in pain, doubling over.

“Don’t worry… Hold on, we’ll get you out of here!” Tess encouraged her, all the while motioning to the scientists and a few reviving guards to gather as much meteor rock as possible and put it in the vehicle behind them.

“Why… are you helping me… when I just… killed… your people?” The young woman asked, struggling to breathe through the pain that washed over her.

“Because yesterday you saved the life of a great man, and I owe you an immense debt for that. Hold on, we’ll take you to a safe place and get you the help you need – just hold on a little longer…”

“What’s… your name?” She asked.

“Tess… Tess Mercer.”

“I’m Kara… I’m…” but then she collapsed unconscious onto the seat. Tess took the meteorite out of the compartment and moved it to different one, a foot farther away from the incapacitated alien.

After all, I don’t want to kill her… Tess smiled, closing the door. Her heart leapt with wild joy. It will take some trial and error to get the dosage of meteor rock right, but eventually… Tess thoughts wandered to all the possibilities – and she couldn’t help but smile in triumph - Lex will be so pleased.

To Jump to Chapter Three click here
          Last edited by Marfeic2011; 09-01-2009, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Kara?? Guuhh??.... (If you have to ask that is my confused noise...)

I await your next post... patiently..

Comment

don't worry - I HATE Kara's character (I thought that she ruined season 7) but i need her to just show up for a minute so that I can do something important in the story - everystory needs it "away team" extras - to coin a star trek phrase, so don't worry - she's doesn't have a big part & won't be around long... but I think you'll soon understand why her appearing is so neccessary...
              Last edited by Marfeic2011; 09-02-2009, 03:26 PM.

Comment

III. Section 1

III.

(A little over two weeks later, still in the past)

Clark was excited as he packed the picnic basket and stashed it in his red pickup truck. He had been planning this for days and he couldn’t wait to see Chloe’s face. It had been nearly three weeks since he had been with Chloe that first time and they had not gone out on an actual date yet. She had been really busy trying to get a foothold within the new Daily Planet hierarchy, and the new Editor & Chief Gabriel Grant was really giving her an impossibly hard time. Clark had to super speed to Metropolis almost every night to bring her food so that she wouldn’t be surviving on only cappuccinos and muffins.

After having dinner with Chloe (and sometimes a little “dessert), Clark had gotten in the habit of patrolling the streets of Metropolis and helping out the local police force in his own way. At first it felt strange to be getting deliberately involved, but after a few days he actually started to enjoy it. Saving people without them even knowing it was quite a rush. But tonight he had other plans.

After practically dragging her away from her mountain of paperwork and out of the Daily Planet, Clark walked Chloe around the dark street corner to his truck and opened the door for her.

“C’mon – hop in!” Clark called out with a cheesy grin, jumping into the driver’s side of his truck and slamming the door closed behind him. Chloe was a bit more hesitant upon seeing the picnic basket on the floor of the passenger’s side.

“Clark – where are we going?” Chloe asked with a doubtful look of concern.

“On a picnic – Remember? I owe you a real date…”

“A Picnic?! In the middle of the night? There aren't even any parks nearby!" she excalimed.

Clark smile and tossed her a cunning "you'll see" look.

“Don’t worry Chloe I got it covered,” Clark said with a mischievous grin… "There’s this parking garage around the corner that took its security system down for an upgrade – we can leave from there & no one will see…” he said excitedly. She smiled – rolling her eyes at his boyish jubilation – clearly he had put a lot of thought and effort into this.

“Yes but leave for where?” Chloe pressed.

“You’ll see,” Clark grinned, “It’s a surprise.”

Chloe didn’t know whether to be excited or nervous. But Clark's gorgeous smile was contagious and in moments she was beaming as well.

They pulled into a parking garage and Clark drove down to the lowest level. Chloe put her hand on the door handle to jump out.

“Wait!” he said - hopping out of the truck and super speeding around to open the door for her, holding out his hand chivalrously. Taking his hand Chloe stepped down, her new white spring dress flowed around her knees and her golden hair fell in ringlets around her ivory skin. Clark just stared at her for a moment – wondering how he had never noticed how beautiful she was all those years they were friends.

“Grab the picnic basket,” he added.

“I don’t think this is a good idea Clark – what if…” but he never gave her a chance to finish her sentence. Going into super-speed he scooped her up gently in his arms, snatched the picnic basket up - and holding them both securely against his chest – he disappeared from the concrete and stone world of Metropolis.

To jump to section two click here

NOTE/EDIT: there was a timeline mistake in the first paragraph of this section which I have now fixed. Chloe is still a reported at the daily planet and NOT working at the Isis foundation.
                Last edited by Marfeic2011; 09-04-2009, 10:33 AM.

Comment

III. Section 2

(Meanwhile in Smallville)

Agent Carter stood looking through bulletproof glass at the spaceship suspended in the underground Luthor Corp bunker.

“I would have preferred to keep this in a more secured location Ms. Mercer.” His frustration did not go unnoticed.

“Oh I think our arrangement is more than generous Agent Carter. Between the two of us, I believe I’m sharing the more valuable commodity.” Tess smiled with gleaming eyes, still impressed at how Carter’s team had managed to steal the ship out from under her nose after the carnage by Reeves Dam. But of course they couldn’t have known that Tess had the owner of the ship stashed in her SUV.

“And how is our alien guest doing?” Carter inquired, wishing he could discover Kara’s location and dispose of this red-haired “middle-man” once and for all.

“Sickly and weak,” Tess replied. “Lex wants us to decrease the meteor-rock concentration to a level that allows her to be functional but not “mobile.” However, there are obviously extreme risks involved – so we are taking it slow for now.”

“Speaking of Lex – how is he handling his incarceration?”

“With difficulty, especially now that we have his “angel” in custody. He’s eager to meet her of course.”

“As am I.” Carter replied with an unmasked annoyance.

“I think that the blood samples, test data, and video recordings that we’re providing you should be more than sufficient for now Agent Carter – not that we don’t trust you of course…” Tess could practically read Carter’s mind through his shifty little eyes.

Of course... but how do I know that Lex Luthor will honor our arrangement once he is released? I heard that someone else came forward and confessed to the murder; so doesn’t that mean you are to be dethroned Ms. Mercer?” Carter mocked as a smile crept up the corners of his mouth.

“Not exactly,” Tess replied, her own smile vanishing. “…the charges against Lex may not be dropped if our lawyers can’t find a solution to the holes that the prosecution discovered in the other man’s confession. Either way, I can assure you that we will be working together for quite a while Agent Carter.” She said, enjoying his disappointed expression.

“And can I expect some actual intelligence as a result Ms. Mercer? It's been over two weeks - have you gotten the alien to volunteer any useful information?”

“As a matter of fact we have… although we’re not sure yet of its context. We’re still trying to earn her trust.”

“Well what do you have?” Carter pressed.

Tess handed him a manila envelope.

“Everything is in there, but I can summarize it for you,” she offered. “When we first brought her in, while she was still under the affects of the highest meteor rock concentrations, she slipped into some sort of trance and was saying the same thing over and over again. We matched some of what she said to reports filed during the last meteor shower here in Smallville; and we think she is probably from the same race as the aliens who massacred the Smallville police force during that same incident.”

“The ones from the black ship that Mr. Luthor somehow managed to misplace?” Carter implied with an angry roll of his eyes.

“The ship that was destroyed somehow,” Tess corrected, “But yes – we believe this woman comes from the same violent race of people who visited us before. Lex also believes that they may have sent more of their people down in the original meteor shower almost eighteen years ago.”

“Well what did she say? Why do you believe the events are connected?” Carter asked with irritated impatience.

“Witnesses from the last incident said that the two aliens, a man and a woman, both exhibited the same super natural abilities as this woman - “Kara” as she calls herself. Also, bystanders in the hospital overheard these creatures asking for someone named “Kal-el” and they seemed desperate to find this individual.”

“Well what is the significance of that?” he inquired.

That was what she kept repeating over and over again: “Kal-el, where is the baby Kal-el” and so on. We think that either in the last meteor shower, or the one before that, a ship may have brought this child to earth – and for some reason these aliens are desperately searching for him.” Tess replied, in almost a whisper, barely able to contain the excitement that shimmered in her eyes.

“Well that’s our first priority then isn’t it?” Carter asked rhetorically. “We need to find out who this “Kal-el” person is, where he is, and why he is so valuable to these aliens.”

Tess smiled smugly, “We are already working on it. In fact, we found something just yesterday in Lionel Luthor’s personal effects that might just hold the key…”

“What?” Carter was wide eyed now.

“A journal.” She answered.

To Jump to section three click here
                  Last edited by Marfeic2011; 09-04-2009, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Very important - if you already read ch. III

NOTE/EDIT: there was a timeline mistake in the first paragraph of chapter III, section 1 - which I have now fixed. Chloe is still a reporter at the daily planet and NOT working at the Isis foundation. Sorry
                    Last edited by Marfeic2011; 09-04-2009, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Ch. III, section 3

Previously:

“Grab the picnic basket,” he added.

“I don’t think this is a good idea Clark – what if…” but he never gave her a chance to finish her sentence. Going into super-speed he scooped her up gently in his arms, snatched the picnic basket up - and holding them both securely against his chest – he disappeared from the concrete and stone world of Metropolis.

III. Section 3

Chloe’s vision blurred, she felt a wind so strong in her face that for a moment she couldn’t breathe – and then suddenly she was blinking in the blinding light of a late afternoon sun. Chloe drew her breath in sharply when she saw where she was – gripping tightly onto Clark’s arm. For a moment she couldn’t believe what she was seeing.

Her feet were planted on a grassy green hill that was spotted with tiny white flowers, and she was looking down into an enormous valley that stretched for miles beneath her. In fact, the hill they were on was so high that Chloe felt like she was looking down from heaven. Beneath her was an absolutely picturesque scene. Rolling blue-green foothills framed a gorgeous shimmering sapphire blue lake that stood peacefully in the valleys center. As she turned back around to survey the hilltop, Chloe recognized the tiny white flower as edelweiss’ – and she suddenly realized where they were…

“Oh my God Clark! How did you know?!” She exclaimed trembling, tears coming unbidden into her eyes…

“Remember your 13th birthday – when we played “truth or lies” – and you said that the Sound of Music was your favorite musical and that you always dreamed of picnicking in the Swiss Alps… and when Pete laughed you pretended that it was your lie… but I knew you were telling the truth. I’m sorry that took me nearly a decade to bring you here but…”

“Oh Clark – I can’t believe this – it’s like a dream! Thank you so much! This is the best date – no – the best day ever!” Overwhelmed with emotion, Chloe threw her hands around Clark’s neck in happy gratitude.

“It hasn’t even started yet,” he hinted, beginning to unpack the wicker picnic basket and spreading the mini-feast out on the tattered blue blanket.

“Wow Clark! You didn’t need to need to pull a Cary Grant on me - you really pulled out all the stops didn’t you?” she exclaimed as they settled down on the picturesque hillside.

A half hour later, after all the champagne and chocolate strawberries were gone, they stretched back in the morning sun. Chloe shivered. It was a lot colder up here then she would have guessed. Clark noticed the goosebumps on Chloe’s ivory arms and pulled her into his lap, wrapping her tightly in his embrace.

“Sorry Chloe, I guess I forgot to check the Swiss Alps' weather reports…” Clark half-joked.

“And you were on such a roll too,” she said, turning around to look up at him with a teasing smile.

“You know,” Chloe commented, “…it’s weird to go from late evening in Metropolis to early morning here – I feel like I’m on a different planet – maybe we can see the sunset twice today – now that would be incredible…”

Clark was silent. His mind had drifted over the majestic ice-covered pinnacles to somewhere else that was snowy and cold…

“Is there something on your mind?” Chloe asked.

“Actually – yeah there is…” Clark was suddenly nervous. Maybe he shouldn’t have said anything. He didn’t want to discuss this now. He wanted their first official date to be special and stress free. But he had never been very good at hiding his feelings from her.

Chloe eyebrows rose in curiosity and she turned to look into Clark’s anxious face. She had noticed something was distracting him the last few days.

“Chloe – there’s been something I’ve wanted to talk to you about for a while now, but I’m not sure…” he cleared his throat nervously. Chloe waited in worried silence.

“It’s just that… well after everything that happened, with that Bizarro phantom, and Lana’s murder, and you almost dying… I just feel like it’s time I need to do a better job of protecting the people I love – I feel like if I had been better prepared maybe…”

“Maybe Lana wouldn’t have died?” Chloe whispered, her chest feeling suddenly very tight.

“Yes… but I don’t want you to think that I would ever undo what has had happened with us, because you know I wouldn’t…” Clark added quickly.

“I know Clark, believe me I know. You think I don’t wake up every day and wish Lana would just walk through the door? Of course I do. You don’t have to ever have to apologize to me for your feelings for Lana, I cared about her too.”

Clark breathed a sigh of relief, he was so worried about hurting Chloe, but he should have remembered that this new romance between them did not negate their friendship. He knew nothing ever could. Wrapping her even tighter in his arms, he kissed her forehead tenderly, pulling her closer against him as she rested her head on his chest.

She could hear his heart beating loudly. She knew there was more.

“But it’s more than that Chloe. I feel like I’ve been holding onto this fantasy of a life I was never meant to have. I think I need to start thinking about the future, about who I was meant to be, and about the reason my father sent me here…”

“So what then?” she pressed, looking up at him once more, “Are you thinking about finishing your training at the fortress?” She tried to stay calm even though inside she felt like she was being crushed.

Clark nodded silently, suddenly wishing he hadn’t brought it up at all. He could feel her heartbeat quickening. Suddenly the idea of leaving Chloe even for a day seemed ridiculous.

“But I don’t have to go right away,” he added, “There’s no rush. Plus I have some unfinished business to wrap up, like making sure the farm is taken care of and everything…” he trailed off.

Chloe was torn. On one hand she had waited so long to be with Clark like this. In truth she had been waiting ever since that first kiss in the barn so many years ago. And he had put his training off already for so many other things, wasn’t she worth delaying for as well?

But delaying for what? She wondered. Would he wait until after we celebrated our first anniversary, until we moved in together, got married, had children, grandchildren? Would there ever be a right time, a good time? Would I ever be willing to part with Clark?

“Think of it like going away for college,” she finally said, “It’s just a little more long distance of a relationship than normal. But you will be back, right?” Tears started to well up in her eyes again. She hated when that happened.

“Of course!” Clark exclaimed with a pained expression. “How can you even ask? I’m not even sure I can leave at all. We’re just getting started and I’m worried that if I left now then…”

“Then what Clark?” She interrupted. “You think that things would be different between us when you came back? Do you really think there is anything that could change how I feel about you? Do you think that if you’re not around for awhile that I’ll just forget about you and find someone else? I can’t believe that even after what we shared the other day, you still don’t get how I feel about you.”

“No, I do. I really do Chloe," Clark assured her. "But I don’t want you to hurt you, or for you to feel abandoned - and what if something happened? I wouldn’t be around to make sure that…”

Chloe cut him off.

“No, no, no… you can’t think like that Clark. You can’t be with me every second anyway. And you’re going away so that you can become the hero that this world needs so badly – so how can you even consider putting one person’s well being over the entire planet’s?!” She exclaimed incredulously.

“But you’re not just “one person” to me Chloe. I think it’s you that doesn’t know how I feel.” Clark’s eyes were bursting with an expression Chloe had only seen once before, two weeks ago. She looked up at him expectantly.

Then tell me, she pleaded silently. And as if reading her mind, he continued.

“The thing is Chloe - you mean so much to me… more than I even realized…” he met her hopeful gaze, and she saw the nervousness in his eyes, “I can’t imagine my life without you Chloe – I don’t know who I would’ve become without your friendship. You have no idea how much I care about you… and I need you to understand…” Clark took a deep breath, glancing away for a moment. Chloe’s brow furrowed in concern over what was coming… but she needn’t have worried.

“I’ve never felt this way before Chloe - you make me feel so happy, so free – like there is nothing I couldn’t do. Maybe it was grief that triggered it initially, but now… I think – no – I know – Chloe…” Clark took a deep breath,

“I’m falling in love with you…”

There I said it… he thought with a sigh of relief and then continued out-loud, placing one hand tenderly on top of hers. Chloe’s eyes were wide in disbelief at what she was hearing.

“We’ve been friends for so long Chloe, and I have loved you as a friend for years – so at first I didn’t recognize what I was feeling - because I’ve only been in love once before – and everything was so different with … her... so I thought that’s what love was supposed to feel like – I didn’t know I could be as happy as I have been the last few weeks…” he took a shaky breath…

“I know you probably don’t believe me; or maybe you think it’s too fast. I didn’t expect to be feeling these things so soon after…” he paused as a pained expression crossed his face. “But now all I want to do is make you happy – to make you feel what I’m feeling right now… so how can I leave you now? I don’t think I can Chloe, not yet.”

Chloe was silent for what seemed like an eternity to Clark – it took her a moment for what she had heard to really sink in. She stared into his olive green eyes, overwhelmed by the intensity of the genuine love she saw refelcted there.

Suddenly it hit her, and disbelief melted away as years of pent up feelings, repressed emotions, and buried desires all came roaring up to the surface. Tears of joy started running down her face, and Clark could feel the silent sobs starting to shake her core. He pulled her closer, wrapping his arm supportively around her shoulders, his other hand caressing her face, his thumb tenderly brushing a tear from her cheek. Suddenly Chloe couldn’t hold it in anymore; she buried her face in his chest – dissolving into happy tears.

Clark fell silent. He had not expected such an emotional reaction and he was at a loss as to what he should do. But Chloe stopped crying a moment later – forcing the unwanted explosion of emotion back under control. Pulling back from their embrace and looking into his confused eyes she wiped her tears away with her hands, half crying – half laughing with joy as she apologized…

“Clark I’m sorry – I guess I’m just overwhelmed – I’ve waited so long to hear those words from you – and I honestly never thought I would… even with all the fooling around that we’ve been doing lately – I never let myself believe it would become anything more – I was afraid you were just rebounding from Lana – I never let myself hope that you would feel the same way I…” Chloe burst into tears again – she couldn’t help it – her emotions had been really out of control lately.

“I – I honestly don’t know what to say,” she continued. “This all feels like a dream… I’ve been in love with you for so long – ever since the first day I met you – and now…” - her voice broke with the emotion she was trying to control – “Clark, I can safely say I’ve never loved anyone else – I will never…” she couldn’t continue – it took all her strength not to dissolve into sobs as he cradled her head against his shoulder, and buried his face into her soft golden hair…

Clark was not surprised by Chloe’s confession because of their recent experience and the thoughts they had shared. But he was still touched by the depth of her emotion – it nearly broke his heart – and even thought he hadn’t thought it possible – he suddenly loved her even more – and his heart felt like it would explode.

“Oh Chloe…” he pulled her chin up till her teary eyes met his once more. “I really don’t deserve you - do I?” He said with a bittersweet smile.

“No you don’t,” she laughed through her tears, “But it doesn’t matter – I’ve never been able to help myself – not loving you was never an option for me…” she looked up and met his gaze again, her beautiful hazel green eyes filled with tears – her golden hair lit up like a halo by the sun behind her, and Clark thought that she had never looked more beautiful…

Suddenly Clark’s feelings just exploded from his heart and radiated through his entire body – he couldn’t hold back anymore – he could feel himself losing control of his emotions – he had to have her – right there – he loved her so much – he couldn’t wait a second longer.

Clark leaned forward suddenly - grabbing the back of Chloe’s blonde head with one hand and pulling her mouth to his - he kissed her hungrily – devouring her soft lips as he hastily lowered her down onto her back – the soft green grass of the hillside was a welcoming blanket beneath her.

As he kissed her deeper and deeper his hand slid over her smooth legs and all the way up beneath her new white dress – gripping her firm butt and then impatiently ripping off her thong – Chloe jerked back in wide-eyes surprise – breaking the kiss when the snapping elastic stung her naked thighs.

But Clark didn’t pause for an instant – coming to a kneeling position between her legs, he pulled his shirt off over his head – and Chloe bit her lip eagerly as she looked up at him – his skin shining golden in the blazing sun.

Clark could hear Chloe’s heart pounding hard and fast with surprise and desire - she wanted him as badly as he wanted her - and he could see the love burning in her teary eyes …

As he lowered himself down on top of her once more, she wrapped her arms around his neck with a dreamy happy smile, and he kissed her again – and this time he never stopped …

And on that isolated hilltop, surrounded by a sea of white flowers, Clark poured his heart out to Chloe – making-love to her again and again – as the sun sunk slowly toward the horizon – and he didn’t stop until he was sure that she finally knew just how much he really loved her …

To jump to Ch. IV click here & Thanks for reading Comments always appriciated
                      Last edited by Marfeic2011; 09-05-2009, 09:56 AM. Reason: fixed typos & reworded some sentences

Comment

that is pure gold

Comment

oh a comment - and a nice one - thank you thank you thank you!!! so glad you liked it. I'm going for the chlarky finish line with this one but it will be a bumpy ride for all - so hang in there with me everyone - i promise it will be worth it

Squeee!!!

Welcome pisco - I think you'll find K-site chlarkers to be the most devoted, resilient and creative bunch of people ever - I know I have. Hope you enjoy the stories here, PM me if you want any suggestions for which authors and stories I think are the best (I have a running list - he he)
                          Last edited by Marfeic2011; 09-02-2009, 04:23 PM.

Comment

incredible and absolutely beautiful! will continue to follow as you add on...

Comment

Originally posted by Indira Kal
                              incredible and absolutely beautiful! will continue to follow as you add on...
                              Thank you sooo much! I'll work on chapter 4 tomorrow I'm so addicted to writing this it's hard to stop - I can see the whole story in my mind & it's just itching to come out - I'm so excited to share it with you all - I know you'll all love it Adios 4 now...

Comment

Internet was on the frizz. I can't believe I missed all the good stuff, but now I'm caught up and can't wait for the next update.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎