No announcement yet.

1.13 - Epitaph One

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nicmar
    It will be the Train Job all over again. People never saw the real pilot for Firefly so that show was all exposition same thing here.
    Train job was my thought exactly. They were forced to replace one of my fav eps with my least fav. The only thing I liked in train Job was sending the guy thru the engine.

Comment

EPITAPH ONE

The good;
      All of it, just terrific stuff. Gritty opening title rather than the normal dreamlike sequence. Whiskey's appearance is especially good, the scene where Adele confronts an imprinted Victor is awesome (lovely touch that he's enjoying shellfish whilst in Victor because he's allergic in his own body).

The bad;
      Couldn't we have Joss doing the commentary and not his brother? How does the little girl reach high enough up to attack the girl in the shower?

Best line;
      Topher; "Children with matches!"
      but also like
      Echo imprinted little girl "Great, puberty all over again"

Packing heat; everybody is armed to the teeth (even Adele for the first time apparently at the request of the actress). Weird to see this little girl running around with guns considering how anti-gun Joss seemed in Buffy?
      Echo;7
      Boyd; 8
      Dominic; 9
      Sierra; 4
      Victor; 3
      Ballard; 10
      November; 1

Echo kissage;2

Kinky dinky;
      Notches on the Dollhouse bedpost;
      Echo; 3 definite, 1 possible
      November; 1
      Ballard; 1
      Victor; 1
      Adele; 1
      Sierra 1 possible
      Topher; 1 possible

How'd they get away with that?
      All of the stuff with the little girl.

This weeks fantasy;
      Victor is the Rossum head honcho, Echo is a Russian immigrant

Total number personalitites;
      Echo; 22
      Sierra; 10
      Victor; 7
      November; 3

Total dolls; another Doll, Juliet is mentioned but we don't know which one she is. Also November is mentioned but Victor asks 'Which one?" implying that there was the replacement from the girl who played Mellie in season 1.
      8-Echo, Sierra, November, Victor, Mike, Tango, Alpha, Whiskey

Addy is a bit British;

Topher is a bit geeky;
      The survivors describe Topher's rumpus room as a nursery. Topher from 2 years back is reminiscent of Michael J Fox.

Subverting the Hollywood cliche;
      When Zone teases Mag about regretting killing an imprinted person she replies "I wish it could have been you"

Bondage;
      Sierra tied up; 1
      Ballard; 1

Knocked out;
      Echo; 2
      November; 1
      Sierra; 1
      Victor; 1
      Topher; 1

Kills;
      Sierra; 2 kills
      Echo; 1
      November;1

Dolls injured;

Capt subtext;
      The first thing Dominic notices when he's freed from the attic is that suits have three buttons again. The commentary also seems to hint he might be gay? Adele and Topher almost seem to be like a mother and son.

Happy hookers
      Zone comments that the Dollhouse is a brothel built to make better hookers. Apparently the network gave instructions to avoid prostitution in the series. I wonder what went wrong?

Know the face? Hooray! Hooray! It's Felicia, Felicia Day! Whedon veteran from Buffy and Dr Horrible plus The Guild. Zone remind anyone else of Patrick Swayze crossed with Corey Feldman?
      8 Whedon alumni-Mark Shepherd, Amy Acker, walking action figure, Eliza Dushku, Jim Piddock, Gregg Henry, Alan Tudyk, Felicia Day

Guantanamo;
      The imprinted little girl describes Mag and Zone as bigots because they killed anyone imrprinted.

Fanfic; more fic than you can shake a stick at to tide you over until the season 2 DVDs come out
      Dollhouse FanFiction Archive - FanFiction.Net

Missing scenes;.
      I like the idea of the scene with the bear in the lift, I wonder if it's the same one from the Angel ep Soul Purpose? Anyone know where I can find that clip on the internet? Do they ask it to press the floor button and then it get's frustrated because it's paws are too big?

Reminds me off;
      We have an apocalypse in LA just as we saw in Angel season 6. The evil little girl is reminiscent of the annointed in Buffy. Topher's idea of the cyber-attack via the phone is a feature of the Stephen King novel 'Cell'
      Topher's rambling like Wes in season 5 of Angel. The photo wall is very BSG. The commentators are Dr Who fans to judge by their 'Don't blink' remark. The butchers resemble the reavers from Firefly who were also the result of well intentioned technology gone wrong.

Breaking the programming;
      Echo can now maintain her own personality (pure Caroline or the composite of her imprints?) whilst she's imprinted but still have all the knowledge of her imprint. She seems to have headaches as a result as does Sierra.

Questions and observations;
      Great ep, truly, truly great, the first 10 out of 10 for the series. Kepler certainly does nice work, his Dollhouse has survived a remarkably long time. The tension between Topher and Dominic is evident right from the start. Dominic actually warns Adele of the consequences of letting the tech run riot. Whiskey's scars are healed as are Victor's. Is the argument in the kitchen the moment Adele turns against Rossum? Is the life after death idea a transfer of consciousness from one body to another or just a Haunted style imprint? If so, it's not really life after death, it's just making clones of yourself. Sierra's real name is Priva Testrene (Tibetan apparently). Adele strikes you as a very good leader, hope Caroline doesn't kill her. Interesting to see that Victor seems to lead the Dollhouse defence force (which is why Paul is talking to him whilst Dr Saunders is fixing Echo up?). So Dr Saunders blanked herself into Whiskey to avoid the madness of being alone for 2 years?
      So, does Whiskey kill everyone and herself with poison gas? Or as the commentary suggests it's just knockout gas, she imprints all the unconscious butcher's with Echo's wedge and creates countless guides to safe haven?

Marks out of 10; 10/10 excellent, they saved the best until last, I wish the whole series could have been this good, can't wait for season 2

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎