Global Football Corner

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leeds fan here, loving life down in the bowels of league one, and is missing the days when we could buy players for over 1 million pounds

Comment

Thought you were going to beat Millwall in the play-off semi-final. At least they lost in the final.
      Have you read The Damned United, Sam? I can't recommend it enough!

Comment

I would like to add that as a Man United fan, i miss the days of the Manchester-Leeds rivalry. I don't think that Leeds deserve anyone's pity because they are a proud club, but i would have liked it a lot if in a magic ways they switched places with Man City. I hope somehow they find their way back.

Comment

If we dont get promoted this season i dont see us ever returning to the premier league, the little money we have is going, the crowds are deminishing, its a dark time over elland road

Comment

Originally posted by deathwish2120
            If we dont get promoted this season i dont see us ever returning to the premier league, the little money we have is going, the crowds are deminishing, its a dark time over elland road
            Leeds are far to big a club to be playing in League 1

Do you still have Robert Snodgrass? If so how is getting on down South?

Comment

He's doing good for us since july 08' , but were going to lose so many players come July the 1st, he may be one of them to leave.

Comment

I'm a Gunners fan
                i watched the USA vs Italy game, USA really should have won, and Landon Donovan played really well

Comment

Originally posted by rajman
                  I'm a Gunners fan
                  i watched the USA vs Italy game, USA really should have won, and Landon Donovan played really well

Hey Raj, I'm a Glasgow Rangers fan

I only saw the USA's penalty which Donovan scored.

We have 2 American's at Rangers, DaMarcus Beasley and Maurice Edu but I don't think they were playing. I know Edu is injured at the moment.

How do you feel about the Gunners chances next season?
                  Last edited by I_AM_LEX_LUTHOR; 06-15-2009, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I caught the last 15 or so minutes of the USA v Italy game, Andy - I think I saw Beasley playing. Maybe he had come on as a sub. I'm always impressed by the USA - they've been a hard to team to beat for a number of years now. Give them another generation and I really think they'll go far in a World Cup. The infrastructure for developing talent in the US is phenomenal, and if you consider the Hispanic community there must be a wealth of Latin talent! It's no real surprise that women's football is flourishing - there's a vacuum being filled over there without the usual footballing stereotype that "girls can't play football".

Comment

I trust Arsene Wenger and i believe that what he's doing is right, i think it's some of the players who just aren't performing like they promise to. I think if the strikers improve then they will excel next season.

That's exactly what i was thinking Lex Dance. I thought USA really read the game well at some moments, they were aggressive and just needed that extra quality/experience in front of goal.

BTW what is that american player that a lot of clubs were interested in?

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                        Hello! Even though i am Greek, i support Man United. I lived in England for 3 years when i was a kid and the first football team i watched was United. So it's not a glory hunter type of thing. Besides, we lost the first game i ever saw!

Good idea to open this thread. I never though Smallville and football can go together! Since Ronaldo is our topic, i will throw my 2 cents. United have done what's best for business. You can only fight the devil for so long. Now Real have to deal with all the negative aspects of Ronaldo. United should not look to find the next Ronaldo. There is no one out there. We are talking about a player tall, well built, good in the air, with a poweful shot and with majestic skills. I say, we have to find 2-3 top level players to fill in out gaps. Instead of making a top class winger out top priority, maybe we should find a goalscoring midfielder like Iniesta. We haven't had one since Scholes.
                        I was wondering what your feelings about this would be. At the end of the day, Ronaldo wanted to move and all the talk was getting tiring. He wanted to play at Real Madrid and he didn't hide it even when he was winning medals with United. He might have sold for a record deal but Man U netted a neat sum of money and it shouldn't be forgotten that although he was good for Man U , Man U was also good for him. Very good. It's a team sport and all the talk makes it sound like he's God's gift to football.

I remember when the biggest deal was Shearer moving to Newcastle for 15. It was all that was talked about especially as he was 'coming home'. Times change fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustmite
                          I was wondering what your feelings about this would be. At the end of the day, Ronaldo wanted to move and all the talk was getting tiring. He wanted to play at Real Madrid and he didn't hide it even when he was winning medals with United. He might have sold for a record deal but Man U netted a neat sum of money and it shouldn't be forgotten that although he was good for Man U , Man U was also good for him. Very good. It's a team sport and all the talk makes it sound like he's God's gift to football.

I remember when the biggest deal was Shearer moving to Newcastle for 15. It was all that was talked about especially as he was 'coming home'. Times change fast.
                          You got that right. I remember questions about Andy Cole and his 7million pound move too. You really have to wonder what players like Cole and Shearer would be worth today. It's ridiculous. Especially during an economic crisis.

A friend described to me the Ronaldo-Man U relationship in the best manner. It was a rocky marriage at times, but the sex was always great. During the last year though, many fans lost patience with him. No one expected him to score 42 goals again, but his body language was very telling and not something you want from a player. In essence, in the last year he was a Real Madrid player on loan to us. United can bounce back from this, but only if they spend that money wisely. Otherwise, the title race will be blown wide open.

I have never got the chance to ask. What club do you support?

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                            During the last year though, many fans lost patience with him. No one expected him to score 42 goals again, but his body language was very telling and not something you want from a player. In essence, in the last year he was a Real Madrid player on loan to us.
                            A big fat yes and that really annoyed me. There's a kind of dignity that comes with loyalty and keeping your mouth shut and your deal behind closed doors but everyone could tell that his heart was at Real and not Man U. He was playing for one of the most successful and biggest clubs in the world. It should hardly be a chore.

I have never got the chance to ask. What club do you support?
                            Middlesbrough. Home team. We got relegated this season. I still feel sick thinking about it

Comment

Originally posted by Dustmite
                              Middlesbrough. Home team. We got relegated this season. I still feel sick thinking about it
                              Hi Dustmite. I'm a Chelsea fan who lives in Whitley Bay. For the last few years I've been able to get in the away end at the Riverside, the Stadium of Light and St James Park. I know my pain pales into insignificance alongside yours and the Geordies', but I'm gutted that there's only one "local" away game that I'll be able to get to next season.
                              So who's going to finish higher in the Fizzy Pop League - you or the Barcodes?

Comment

Originally posted by Lex Dance
                                Hi Dustmite. I'm a Chelsea fan who lives in Whitley Bay. For the last few years I've been able to get in the away end at the Riverside, the Stadium of Light and St James Park. I know my pain pales into insignificance alongside yours and the Geordies', but I'm gutted that there's only one "local" away game that I'll be able to get to next season.
                                So who's going to finish higher in the Fizzy Pop League - you or the Barcodes?
                                It really does suck to be football fan in the NE right now

I so hope we finish higher. I want us back playing first league footy again. Although it's a shock to see Newcastle join us down there. No one would have thought it could happen years ago.

Boro were like a yo-yo when I was in school but it's harder to go down and come back up again these days. There's teams I grew up with in the Leauge that are languishing in the Championship now and I'm pretty worried about us and not at all looking forward to the season beginning.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎