Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kid Collins
    Another dig at Lana's arc. Say what you will about Lana, Power, did bring in the highest rating for since the last break!
    If I am correct Legion did better then Power ratings wise which would have been the first episode after the break.

Think about it this way, wiith all the promoting that ED did before Season 8 started, you would think ALL of the Lois and Clark comic book fans would line up to watch this show and S8 would have a HUGE increase in ratings since CW was going for a new viewing audience for their now focused Lois and Clark pairing. Well, the new audience they were expecting weren't huge and didn't even match what S7's premier was. Yeah, it got buzz, but not the huge ratings for all the promoting that was done for the NEW Metropolis themed SV. Buzz might also have to do with ED doing a zillion interviews during the first 5 eps. She was everywhere.
    One thing I will say about the first half is from Toxic -> Bloodline(the highest rated eppy of the season) we saw a steady increase in ratings which to me is a solid ratings trend.

The first half of the season seemed to have good continuity for the most part while the second half seemed to be all over the place

Comment

I'm not arguing with you. My point is that critic had a valid point. Even though SV has the highest ratings for a scripted show, clearly it doesn't make the most money for CW. You just have to look at the production value of this show to know that it's budget has been severely cut.
      He compares the ratings from this year to the ratings last year at this same time. Last year he said season 7 ratings sucked compared to season 6 and those ratings sucked compared to 5 and so on. As I said, the ratings for Smallville, aside from season 2, have gone down every single year. What he and others also don't take into account is that Smallville has changed nights and networks, those changes also affected the ratings negatively.

Say what you will about Lana, Power, did bring in the highest rating for since the last break!
      Actually, no it didn't, but you're making a common mistake. Power aired at the start of sweeps, which means more people were watching television that night than non-sweeps periods. How does that change things? Here's what happens. In the fast national ratings the rating/share for Power was 2.6/4. What else got a 2.6/4 this season? Plastique (4.18 million), Prey (4.16 million), Instinct (4.12 million), Identity (4.32) and Legion (4.30). Why the differences in millions of viewers with the same rating/share? That's where sweeps, the competition and even lucky breaks come into the mix.

Legion, for example, got a lucky break. The night it aired all the big networks carried departing President Bush's little speech, but the CW did not. Fox, which had planned to launch 2 hours of Bones that night backed off due to the speech and ran Kitchen Nightmares instead. CBS ran a CSI rerun and NBC ran My Name is Earl and Scrubs. Bulletproof, unfortunately, didn't get the same break, because Bones did air that night and Bulletproof became the first episode this season to draw less than 4 million viewers and Requiem was the second. I don't count Abyss because it did not air in NYC, the biggest TV market in the country. Power got a break because it was against American Idol instead of Bones. American Idol, though a high rated show, doesn't have much crossover appeal with Smallville fans. Hex got a similar break being up against American Idol instead of Bones, though it got a bad break being up against NCAA basketball on CBS and it did not air during sweeps and Power did.

You can't look at how many millions of viewers watched a show and ignore the rating/share, competition, hiatuses and when a break goes for a show or against it. Infamous was up against the premiere of Survivor, which beat Bones that night. Stiletto had the grave misfortune of not only coming back after a hiatus, but after the rerun of Requiem, which only drew 1.8 million viewers. That rerun did worse than the Supernatural rerun the same night. Since the trailer only aired to less than 2 million that night, I'm surprised Stiletto actually got over 3 million, though back to rating/share, it got the same rating/share as Beast. Beast got more viewers. Why? Sweeps started that night Injustice went up a share to 4 and .1 on the rating side. If Doomsday can hold onto the 4 share and get 2.4 or higher on the rating side, it could get close to or over 4 million viewers and that would be a great note for season 8 to end on.

Comment

Originally posted by batfinx

Actually, no it didn't, but you're making a common mistake. Power aired at the start of sweeps, which means more people were watching television that night than non-sweeps periods. How does that change things? Here's what happens. In the fast national ratings the rating/share for Power was 2.6/4. What else got a 2.6/4 this season? Plastique (4.18 million), Prey (4.16 million), Instinct (4.12 million), Identity (4.32) and Legion (4.30). Why the differences in millions of viewers with the same rating/share? That's where sweeps, the competition and even lucky breaks come into the mix.
        I get what your coming from. I don't know where you got your stats but here is where I got mine. I see where the household percentage plays a huge part in analyzing the ratings. The stats I found for the 18/49 group is pretty consistent to what your saying.

S8's Ratings History

S7's Ratings History

What I don't get is you KNOW that competition, breaks, power outages play a part in how a show performs in the ratings, what I don't get is make jabs at Lana's arc? Implying that it's the storyline and not the competition, etc that brought on the lower ratings and not her arc.

Because from what I've seen of the ratings trend compared to S7 and S8, the household ratings percentage for both seasons are about the same. The last arc is ALWAYS the lowest rated eps. Check the stats yourself.

It has NOTHING to do with Lana's arc.

Power got a break because it was against American Idol instead of Bones. American Idol, though a high rated show, doesn't have much crossover appeal with Smallville fans.
        Show me an article that says AI is not competition for Smallville. This show gets an average of 25 million viewers every night it's on. When Entertainment Weekly asked the Lost producers their reaction to going against AI on Wednesday nights, their answer was nervous. Shows go on repeats rather than compete with AI. It basically blows away every competition the night it's on. Always.

Stiletto had the grave misfortune of not only coming back after a hiatus, but after the rerun of Requiem, which only drew 1.8 million viewers. That rerun did worse than the Supernatural rerun the same night.
        \

Requiem's repeats had nothing to do with Stilletto's poor ratings performance. Both Requiem and Power repeats had a share of 0.7/2 and so did the repeats of Bloodline 0.7/2 on 2/26/09.

And Requiem's repeat isn't the lowest rated either. There's an ep repeat that aired on 12/18/08 that got 0.5/2.

And if Requiem had such an effect on ratings on a future ep, how come Infamous pulled in 1.6/4 ratio airing right after Requiem? That's the same ratio that Requiem received 1.6/4. According to these stats, SV didn't lose any ratings due to Requiem.

Since the trailer only aired to less than 2 million that night, I'm surprised Stiletto actually got over 3 million, though back to rating/share, it got the same rating/share as Beast. Beast got more viewers. Why? Sweeps started that night Injustice went up a share to 4 and .1 on the rating side. If Doomsday can hold onto the 4 share and get 2.4 or higher on the rating side, it could get close to or over 4 million viewers and that would be a great note for season 8 to end on.
        Stilletto received 1.3/4, Beast 1.4/4 and Injustice 1.5/5. So the ratings are increasing even though it's by small amounts. But those stats are in line with S7's ratings for the last arc.

So bottom line, Lana's arc did NOT hurt ratings at all for this show. People tuned in the way they've always have when she was on and after she left.
        Last edited by Kid Collins; 05-12-2009, 04:12 PM.

Comment

So bottom line, Lana's arc did NOT hurt ratings at all for this show. People tuned in the way they've always have when she was on and after she left.
          I will still stand by the fact that the show should have did the Lana arc the first 5 episodes because those 2 episodes really ruined any continuity for the show which could have turned off a few viewers.

I have my guesses why they did the season the way they did, but it was really poor story planning, which to me was a huge issue the second half of the season

Comment

Originally posted by Supsfan
            I will still stand by the fact that the show should have did the Lana arc the first 5 episodes because those 2 episodes really ruined any continuity for the show which could have turned off a few viewers.

I have my guesses why they did the season the way they did, but it was really poor story planning, which to me was a huge issue the second half of the season
            Stats speak for itself.

That said, other reasons for lower ratings, how about recycled storylines, retcons (Eternal), messy writing (turns Shelby into girl), cheesy, predictable storylines...the last arc of this show if full of them.

Comment

Stats speak for itself.
              One thing I notice if from Toxic -> Bloodline we got a nice linear upward increase in ratings. The only other linear trend I ever seen on this show was after Promise(which went downward). For people that were getting into that storyline the Lana arc was a buzzkill, It also didn't help that after the Lana arc it seems like the show was all over the place(I would put this on equal footing with the Lana arc).

If they did the Lana arc first I think it would have been better for storytelling purposes(ie Clark moves on from Lana and then gets on with his life as opposed to Clark moves on with his life, Lana comes back and he regresses, and then stalling of Clark where he is treated like a secondary character from that point on).

My guess is the producers used the first 10 episodes though to try get Season 9 and wanted to show the CW that Lois could bring in ratings, they didn't use Lana in those episodes because then the CW would point to Lana being a factor in the early season ratings, so they saved her episodes for later.

Comment

People need to get over Lois and ED. Its bordering on some kind of weird fetish. People read the character or actress' name and they gush like a tap.

The phrase "Lois brings in ratings" is nonsensical. If Lois is the be-all-and-end-all factor regarding ratings, then why did Hex get 3.8 and Stiletto only get 3.1 when Power and Requiem got 4.21 then 3.93?? And do NOT tell me, oh, Lana's stupid arc killed viewers. Bullsh1t. If Lois is sooo great then people should have come back when Lana left the show. If Lois was such a big deal, then people shouldn't have bailed on her just because Lana had one (arguably two, I didn't mind Requiem as much as Power) bad episodes.

The truth its Smallville's stories and the characters play only a very small part in the ratings the show gets. Competition from other shows and external factors are the deciders - NOT whether Lois Lane is in the episode or not. Plus, just about every show drops ratings during the second half of any season because as humans the commitment of the viewers fails as time goes on.

Now important note: I'm NOT bashing Lois or ED. I like them both - actress and character - this season more than ever! But I'm getting terribly sick of how every single thread on this site (regardless of the initial topic) inevitably becomes a "lets lick the ground that ED/Lois walks on and beat the sh1t out of KK/Lana at every opportunity" conversation. Lois is just a character on the show, like Clark, Lex, Lana, Chloe and Tess. Hell, if anything, Davis has been more important than her this year because he's actually part of the overarching story that is Clark VS Doomsday - which Lois has almost nothing to do with. Putting her in every episode would have hindered that story just as much as Lana's random, stupid arc in the middle of the season.

So. Lois is good. But she's not everything. Please give it a rest people.

Comment

Originally posted by Reeve_290
                  People need to get over Lois and ED. Its bordering on some kind of weird fetish. People read the character or actress' name and they gush like a tap.

The phrase "Lois brings in ratings" is nonsensical. If Lois is the be-all-and-end-all factor regarding ratings, then why did Hex get 3.8 and Stiletto only get 3.1 when Power and Requiem got 4.21 then 3.93?? And do NOT tell me, oh, Lana's stupid arc killed viewers. Bullsh1t. If Lois is sooo great then people should have come back when Lana left the show. If Lois was such a big deal, then people shouldn't have bailed on her just because Lana had one (arguably two, I didn't mind Requiem as much as Power) bad episodes.

The truth its Smallville's stories and the characters play only a very small part in the ratings the show gets. Competition from other shows and external factors are the deciders - NOT whether Lois Lane is in the episode or not. Plus, just about every show drops ratings during the second half of any season because as humans the commitment of the viewers fails as time goes on.

Now important note: I'm NOT bashing Lois or ED. I like them both - actress and character - this season more than ever! But I'm getting terribly sick of how every single thread on this site (regardless of the initial topic) inevitably becomes a "lets lick the ground that ED/Lois walks on and beat the sh1t out of KK/Lana at every opportunity" conversation. Lois is just a character on the show, like Clark, Lex, Lana, Chloe and Tess. Hell, if anything, Davis has been more important than her this year because he's actually part of the overarching story that is Clark VS Doomsday - which Lois has almost nothing to do with. Putting her in every episode would have hindered that story just as much as Lana's random, stupid arc in the middle of the season.

As I stated twice already more then Lana partially killing the ratings it was the inconsistent storylines that happened when she re-appeared and continued after she left. The whole Lana arc was a huge buzzkill(except for Clana fans) compared to what we got from the first 12 episodes, then the constant Lois/Davis/Chloe-in-Lois/Davis episodes following it that Clark was treated as a secondary character drove that inconsistency into the ground.

I don't see how I am bashing Lana when I saw her 5 strory arc should have been told in the first 5 episodes which would have made it a more consistent storyline as opposed to how they plopped her arc smack dab in the middle of the season where it seemed totally out of place.

Comment

What I don't get is you KNOW that competition, breaks, power outages play a part in how a show performs in the ratings, what I don't get is make jabs at Lana's arc? Implying that it's the storyline and not the competition, etc that brought on the lower ratings and not her arc.
                    Actually what I wrote was: "The one perk Smallville had earlier this year was some positive media buzz about its new direction, but that dried up after the show reverted to a really old direction." My comment was about the media buzz drying up. I said nothing about the Lana arc, though I'd agree with you that that Clana is an old direction, but the same could be said of Chloe being engaged to one guy while attracted to another in terms of old 'been there/done that' plotting, especially with one of the guy's in the triangle being a Superman villain.

I don't look at the ratings from a shipper perspective because obviously ships over the years have done nothing positive for the show or the ratings wouldn't continue to fall, or at the very least they'd stabilize. In fact, if there is a ship that has any influence in the ratings, it's obviously the couple from Bones

Show me an article that says AI is not competition for Smallville. This show gets an average of 25 million viewers every night it's on.
                    It's easy to see in the ratings. Bones clobbers Smallville because it has audience crossover appeal with the same viewers. People have posted here about Bones and wishing it wasn't up against Smallville because they love both shows. AI is a reality show, but Bones is a scripted show with appealing continuing characters and it has a large shipper audience. Bones fans are "squeeing" all over the internet due to the Bones finale promo trailer. To be honest Smallville should've come back from hiatus even a week later than it did no matter how the returning episode would suffer so that Smallville's finale wouldn't have to go head to head with Bones' finale.

Because from what I've seen of the ratings trend compared to S7 and S8, the household ratings percentage for both seasons are about the same. The last arc is ALWAYS the lowest rated eps. Check the stats yourself.
                    Season 7 had a couple of episodes that got a 3.x rating, which no episode this year has done. Also, season 7 had more episodes that got a 5 share. Unfortunately this year there have been episodes that have gotten a 3 share for the first time in the show's history starting with Turbulence. As for the final arc always getting the lowest ratings, I said in my post that Smallville's ratings (not just the final arcs) have fallen every single year except for season 2.

And if Requiem had such an effect on ratings on a future ep, how come Infamous pulled in 1.6/4 ratio airing right after Requiem? That's the same ratio that Requiem received 1.6/4. According to these stats, SV didn't lose any ratings due to Requiem.
                    According to the fast nationals Requiem got a 2.4/4 and Infamous got a 2.2/4. Although I'll give kudos to Infamous because even after a hiatus (it didn't air right after Requiem) and being up against Survivor and Bones, which wasn't the case for Requiem since it was against AI and reruns of the Big Bang Theory and How I met Your Mother and not airing during sweeps, which was true of Requiem, it put in a pretty decent showing. Infamous really beat the odds to bring in a good rating.

Requiem's repeats had nothing to do with Stilletto's poor ratings performance.
                    It's not hard to figure. Hiatus and reruns are detrimental. That's simply a fact.

Stilletto received 1.3/4, Beast 1.4/4 and Injustice 1.5/5. So the ratings are increasing even though it's by small amounts. But those stats are in line with S7's ratings for the last arc.
                    Stiletto received a 2.0/3 and Beast received a 2.0/3, Injustice received a 2.1/4, Those are the national numbers for those episodes. You posted links to Mediaweek, which uses the major market numbers, not the nationals. That's why the rating side will appear smaller, but the share size larger compared to the nationals. The major market numbers, as the name implies, does not cover the entire country, just those in specific metered markets. That data is valuable to local sponsors who advertise in specific local television markets, but the overall numbers leave out smaller cities, towns and rural markets.

I don't see how I am bashing Lana when I saw her 5 strory arc should have been told in the first 5 episodes which would have made it a more consistent storyline as opposed to how they plopped her arc smack dab in the middle of the season where it seemed totally out of place.
                    Good point, I totally agree. It wasn't the arc per se, it was the placement. It was designed for last year and so involved Lex and involved a ship that would've ended last year if not for the writers' strike and so they should've taken care of both of those season 7 dangling plot lines at the beginning before they started moving season 8 in its designed direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by batfinx
                      According to the fast nationals Requiem got a 2.4/4 and Infamous got a 2.2/4. Although I'll give kudos to Infamous because even after a hiatus (it didn't air right after Requiem) and being up against Survivor and Bones, which wasn't the case for Requiem since it was against AI and reruns of the Big Bang Theory and How I met Your Mother and not airing during sweeps, which was true of Requiem, it put in a pretty decent showing. Infamous really beat the odds to bring in a good rating.
                      Both Infamous and Turbulance from my understanding were blacked out in some markets due to the local CW showing College basketball

Comment

• Originally posted by Reeve_290

I love this

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎