No announcement yet.

Tonight was proof; never have episodes without Lois

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xrayvision
    Me neither. But I think she could very well end up standing in his way of career development like Lana did with Clark's hero development. I hope it doesn't happen because I don't want to resent her as much as I have & continue to resent Lana.

I was very disappointed that Clark got nothing for his troubles in Stiletto. He was the one who was the most involved and look a beating & bullet for it & still got nothing.

I don't want him to be Lois' doormat for her career. He is always shown sacrificing things (whether it's development, his education, or his happiness) to build up other characters. If Clark is made into a doormat once more, then I will watch the rest of the series without any enjoyment. None of these characters have shown any guilt for it either. Lana was a complete scumbag and treated him like crap. She showed no appreciation for Clark doing nothing in his life in seasons 6 & 7 (which I blame the writers for placing Clark is such stupid plots & love triangles that prevent him from having his own storylines).
    I wouldn't be too worried about that happening. Lois isn't Lana. She wants Clark to be successful... I still love her line in Stiletto when he told her "because I'm just a copy boy?" and she retaliated with "no because you're doing better than anyone expected!" And the thing about the Clark Kent character is that everything he does to help people and save lives is because its in his nature to do so... he's never in it for the glory. Lois is a parallel to that, she likes to be the center of attention and she's a go-getter. That's not a bad thing.... they're two people with very different personalities that their common ground is their love and respect for each other. It's one of the reasons they work so well together and have worked for 70+ years. They're lining stuff up with the comics, and I think one of those things they're lining up first is the Clois relationship.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by hookem91
    honestly, no. Allison mack is an amazing actress and her character/storylines are much more interesting than anything erica/lois would be able to do(has she even had a storyline?)
    Yes she has. Her arc is tied in with the RBB. To me that's a million times more interesting than this Bloomsday crap Chloe's been stuck with all season. For the finale they need more Doomsday and less Bloomsday.
    Last edited by Lilah; 04-30-2009, 09:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

This is why I want the core of Clark, Lois, Jimmy, Perry, Pete, Martha, and Intergang next season. These characters have all supported Clark without making him look bad so far. They allow him to be Superman. They don't suck away his decision power, they don't emasculate him & don't think for him by being his brain. They all support him & his decisions and interact well with him.
      Beyond the more light hearted(and that just not comedy) feel to episodes Lois brings, the fact she is intergalactically clueless to his secret(and thankfully doesn't hound him about it like it seemed every other character on the show did at some point) does allow Clark to live in a angst free world where he can do good deeds because he is basically a good guy who feels like doing good things. I love watching episodes where I don't see Clark self loathing or depressed about something.

Like the stones plot. Lana was interested in the stones more than Clark was.
      Lana being a witch to me was the first sign of problems on this show totally disrespecting the character of Clark Kent. When not a love interest of Clark like she was that season she should have been shuffled to the background, instead it showed the producers/writers would force characters in the storyline that really don't need to be there because they are one of the stars of the show and need to do something.

I think this just shows that the Davis idea wasn't a good one because they can't make it be about him & Clark. I'd rather see Doomsday as a creature all the time and Clark following the trail of bodies, writing about them. Even that though could have only gone so far. I said Intergang would have been great this season. Tess would also be good, but they screwed her up very badly.
      Yeah to me having Doomsday being a Luthorcorp experiment would have build up the final showdown way better then Chloe hiding Davis in her basement, then running off with him. It would have also been a wonderful storyline for Tess, showing her as some psycotic evil genius. To me the whole Davis storyline takes away from Clark, I would much rather watch an episode like Bulletproof which focused mainly on Clark then all these Davis storylines.
      Last edited by Supsfan; 04-30-2009, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by colibri
        I hate to tell you this but in the comics Lois is typically portrayed as the hot shot reporter. She's the one with more awards. She's the star reporter. The reason for this is basically because Clark can't spend all his time as a reporter. He's the hero, Superman, so his reporting can suffer a bit. He's still a good reporter but he makes that sacrifice because of who he is.

Lois doesn't get in his way or try to stall him as the hero but as the reporter? Lois has always tended to get the limelight in this regard. However, within the SV universe, it's obvious that he is getting storylines as has been mentioned and Lois in Stiletto mentions his skills as a reporter when she was trying to get the upper hand and, instead, ended up complimenting him. The important factor here is that Lois regards him as a hero and was grateful and, when she did something wrong, and Clark called her on it and told her to make sure the story didn't go to print she actually did exactly that. Her regard for Clark is very high despite some of her snarkiness.
        In the comics I have & those I read, they both seem to be equally as good. Clark on SV hasn't gotten any articles except 1 obituary. I'm not counting offscreen things. If Lois is good enough to be given onscreen stories, then so should Clark. He needs to make his reporter ego convincing, otherwise who would believe such a mediocre reporter would have such a prominent job in such a great newspaper? Clark is still nothing but a copyboy. They don't even know what his job title is. In Prey, he's investigating the serial murders and seems to be on the verge of a story. In Bloodline & Stiletto, he makes copies & Lois helps him by making his copies. She even referred to him as an intern in that episode, something that he wasn't originally. Clark at the DP is a plot device to be used in whatever way he's needed. Notice how he's hardly shown at the DP when Lois is not around. That tells me the whole story.

I don't have a problem with Lois yet. I want next season for them to show why Clark is the great reporter he's destined to be. After all, he started investigating & writing stories way before Lois did. He should have everything but his writing technique down by now. He's broken into so many buildings and stuff before Lois even 1st appeared. He should know how to do everything by now. They have to show him being serious about his career so others don't suspect anything from him. Otherwise if he's only living his non-Superman life in a half convincing way, then there would be some who would know something is up. He would get fired by Perry.

I don't want him to snake Lois out of the Superman storyline like he did in the comics, but I do want him to be shown working hard on a major story that his name exclusively would be on. This has to be developed, otherwise, the show has only developed half of his future life. I don't expect to see him become a TV reporter like he eventually became in the comics, but at least as a newspaper reporter.

Comment

Proof? how is this proof? Since you didn't like the episode that automatically makes this a bad episode for everyone. Oh wow, I guess since I don't like onion rings that means nobody else does either!

Comment

In the comics I have & those I read, they both seem to be equally as good. Clark on SV hasn't gotten any articles except 1 obituary. I'm not counting offscreen things. If Lois is good enough to be given onscreen stories, then so should Clark. He needs to make his reporter ego convincing, otherwise who would believe such a mediocre reporter would have such a prominent job in such a great newspaper? Clark is still nothing but a copyboy. They don't even know what his job title is. In Prey, he's investigating the serial murders and seems to be on the verge of a story. In Bloodline & Stiletto, he makes copies & Lois helps him by making his copies. She even referred to him as an intern in that episode, something that he wasn't originally. Clark at the DP is a plot device to be used in whatever way he's needed. Notice how he's hardly shown at the DP when Lois is not around. That tells me the whole story.
            I hear some people say if they just focused on Clark they wouldn't have enough stories to tell about him without stalling even more. I think this proves they could tell many stories about him and not be stalling. They could have did 5-6 episodes this season focusing on his journalism career, problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Lilah
              I still love her line in Stiletto when he told her "because I'm just a copy boy?" and she retaliated with "no because you're doing better than anyone expected!"
              Well, season 9 will be Put Up or Shut Up time for the writers & producers. They better show us why he is an ace reporter. Otherwise, take him out of the DP, have him tell Lois the story and be a fulltime hero.

As selfless as Clark is, he always did the reporter thing to convincingly convey his dual identity, while being close to the news. He's close to the news already. Now he has to convey the image that Clark Kent has nothing else in his life other than his career. Otherwise his mysterious disappearances won't make sense and neither will his existence (non-termination) at the paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin24
                Proof? how is this proof? Since you didn't like the episode that automatically makes this a bad episode for everyone. Oh wow, I guess since I don't like onion rings that means nobody else does either!
                jajaja ITA

besides there are episodes where she has been and the episode sucks!!! so sorry but Lois is getting really overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Supsfan
                  I hear some people say if they just focused on Clark they wouldn't have enough stories to tell about him without stalling even more. I think this proves they could tell many stories about him and not be stalling. They could have did 5-6 episodes this season focusing on his journalism career, problem solved.
                  This is what I've always said Supsfan. They have so many things they can develop about him that no stalling is needed. They could have developed him by having him go to college, but they failed. They could develop his career, which I hope they do. They also can develop why the RBB fails & why Superman doesn't. I hope it's not just because the name is too long. They could have a plot that results in the RBB getting bad press, causing him to change his image, don the Superman suit and actually show his face.

Comment

I don't have a problem with Lois yet. I want next season for them to show why Clark is the great reporter he's destined to be. After all, he started investigating & writing stories way before Lois did. He should have everything but his writing technique down by now. He's broken into so many buildings and stuff before Lois even 1st appeared. He should know how to do everything by now. They have to show him being serious about his career so others don't suspect anything from him. Otherwise if he's only living his non-Superman life in a half convincing way, then there would be some who would know something is up. He would get fired by Perry.

I don't want him to snake Lois out of the Superman storyline like he did in the comics, but I do want him to be shown working hard on a major story that his name exclusively would be on. This has to be developed, otherwise, the show has only developed half of his future life. I don't expect to see him become a TV reporter like he eventually became in the comics, but at least as a newspaper reporter.
                    I think the story of Clark Kent is more about him being a hero. The reporter side will always be second. I'm not arguing that the writers shouldn't show him being serious about his writing but it shouldn't dominate. In Hex and in Stiletto you see that he is gaining respect but he's only been there for a a few months.

Like I said, he's shown as being a good reporter but Lois, at least post-crisis, is the star reporter. The comics where Clark steals the Superman story from Lois were back in the day.

However, saying that, I totally agree he needs a big story with his name on it, not just the hints. I'd like that very much. Lois shouldn't have all the glory.

Comment

I say, the more Lois the better...but I'm glad she wasn't in this episode. Though if she had been, I would've had her, Jimmy, and Oliver as bright spots.

Comment

I have to say that this episode was one of the best of the season. The actor's were all really working it. There was so much emotion and power and weight to the episode. Every moment felt like it mattered. That has been true IMO for pretty much all of the Dooms/Davis heavy episodes. They really shine and honestly seem far more important than any light comedy moments. Steletto wasn't a bad episode (apart from the basic plot of LL making up a story, that just irks) but I do feel it stalled the momentum we had going with Eternal. Same thing happened with Hex coming after Turbulence. Things start happening and then veer off course. Plus, I think the writing is better in general when they write for fewer characters at a time.

Comment

They could have developed him by having him go to college, but they failed.
                          Don't even get me started on college, how many issues that would have solved for everybody on this show if they all went to College, even if it was just a backdrop for 3-4 episodes a season. Season 6-7 especially would have made Clark look better if he made a mention about College every few episodes(at least he would be doing something with his life instead of hiding out in a barn).

It seems these writers enjoy big dramatic storylines that hurt the characters involved instead of a nice coherent storyline of an alien with superpowers from the age of 14-22, were some bad things filled with drama happen.

Originally posted by BkWurm1
                          They really shine and honestly seem far more important than any light comedy moments.
                          As somebody who wants a more Clark focused story myself, I would argue what is or isn't more important to the show. In terms of Clark, is it really important that we see every aspect of the guy/monster who is going to kill him's life? Doomsday could fall out of the sky and go at it with Clark and I would be just as satisfied with the fight(probably even more so since hopefully the season would have focused on Clark more). Much like many melodramatic Lana plots from earlier seasons that really did nothing for Clark's storyline other then make him a supporting character, the Chloe/Davis storyline really adds nothing to the character of Clark and I would even argue has negative effects on building up the big fight at the end of the season
                          Last edited by Supsfan; 04-30-2009, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Well, season 9 will be Put Up or Shut Up time for the writers & producers. They better show us why he is an ace reporter. Otherwise, take him out of the DP, have him tell Lois the story and be a fulltime hero.

As selfless as Clark is, he always did the reporter thing to convincingly convey his dual identity, while being close to the news. He's close to the news already. Now he has to convey the image that Clark Kent has nothing else in his life other than his career. Otherwise his mysterious disappearances won't make sense and neither will his existence (non-termination) at the paper.
                            But in the mythology he isn't an "Ace" reporter... Lois is. lol. It's not until they get partnered up that he starts to make a name for himself... which is why we need Perry White on the show... so he can finally move them in the right direction.

Comment

Wow interesting. Lois was not needed in this episode, well, only if you wanted her to get knocked out lol. This was one of the best episodes of the season if not the best (for me) in my opinion...it was just soo intense, it kept me on the edge of my seat. The Lois character on Smallville is not that important...not yet anyways so yeah there is no reason for her to have been included in every episode. Wait for next season maybe she will get a big arc where she will need to be there, but yeah this season her episodes seemed more just like "lets get her in there, she hasn't been on for a time" than actually being necessary. This is only my opinion which I know many will disagree with but whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Supsfan
                                Don't even get me started on college, how many issues that would have solved for everybody on this show if they all went to College, even if it was just a backdrop for 3-4 episodes a season. Season 6-7 especially would have made Clark look better if he made a mention about College every few episodes(at least he would be doing something with his life instead of hiding out in a barn).

It seems these writers enjoy big dramatic storylines that hurt the characters involved instead of a nice coherent storyline of an alien with superpowers from the age of 14-22, were some bad things filled with drama happen.
                                I agree with both of you here. College would have been a great idea. The big dramatic storylines are fine to an extent but they have taken this idea way too far. When they take Doomsday, of all the villains, and create the mess that they did this season you know that the writers have lost touch with the Superman story and what it's about.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎