Chloe: Doing it for Clark or Davis?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dianechicken
    Hi guys:

First time posting for me- I've watched the show on an off for years but have been glued all season long for this 8th season. I've always read the posts for years and may I say I find everyone who enjoys watching this show both articulate and fun to read! I look forward to continuing to post...

That being said, I feel that it's definitely a mixture of both. While I'm keenly aware that Clark and Chloe share this je ne sais quoi between them (IMO another Mulder and Scully type of relationship), there is also a bond forming between her and Doomy. They share a far stronger sexual chemistry than Chimmy- and that is difficult to deny. I think that ultimately TPTB will make it seem like the ultimate sacrifice for Clark, but it would be far more interesting if they allow Chloe to have this weakness for Davis.

I have to say in watching this show and many others like it, I see that the platonic relationship between a man and a woman who share chemistry is the key to a long lasting show- such as the X-files as mentioned above, Will and Grace, Stargate SG-1etc. By keeping them apart due to whatever circumstance such as unrequited love in the case of Chloe, this adds a sexual tension that is never resolved, prompting viewers to keep coming back next week. The writers know what they are doing by creating this dicotomy when they show Chloe crying at the end of the episode essentially professing her undying love for Clark. This is why the Chloe character outlasted Lana in the regular series run, because its their non consummation of their relationship that keeps the show going. I don't think the writers will ever jump the shark.

Along the way, they've allowed her to have a "safe relationship" with Jimmy that lacks the passion that she feels when she is with Davis. And for the record all of the things she's done for Davis outweigh normal "sacrifice" that you would have for a simple friend:

A. Hugs him while Jimmy is lying in a hospital bed
    B. Only recogniizing Davis when she forgot who she was- not even remembering Clark
    C. Cooking for and harboring a known serial killer
    D. Choosing to believe Davis over Jimmy who is her HUSBAND for crying out loud

There's no way she's just a run of the mill martyr here. She is falling in love with Davis, remember he is the Kryptonian that she can actually have...and that is something that is almost impossible to resist.
    Very interesting and insightfuly post. Welcome

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by dianechicken
    Hi guys:

First time posting for me- I've watched the show on an off for years but have been glued all season long for this 8th season. I've always read the posts for years and may I say I find everyone who enjoys watching this show both articulate and fun to read! I look forward to continuing to post...

That being said, I feel that it's definitely a mixture of both. While I'm keenly aware that Clark and Chloe share this je ne sais quoi between them (IMO another Mulder and Scully type of relationship), there is also a bond forming between her and Doomy. They share a far stronger sexual chemistry than Chimmy- and that is difficult to deny. I think that ultimately TPTB will make it seem like the ultimate sacrifice for Clark, but it would be far more interesting if they allow Chloe to have this weakness for Davis.

I have to say in watching this show and many others like it, I see that the platonic relationship between a man and a woman who share chemistry is the key to a long lasting show- such as the X-files as mentioned above, Will and Grace, Stargate SG-1etc. By keeping them apart due to whatever circumstance such as unrequited love in the case of Chloe, this adds a sexual tension that is never resolved, prompting viewers to keep coming back next week. The writers know what they are doing by creating this dicotomy when they show Chloe crying at the end of the episode essentially professing her undying love for Clark. This is why the Chloe character outlasted Lana in the regular series run, because its their non consummation of their relationship that keeps the show going. I don't think the writers will ever jump the shark.

Along the way, they've allowed her to have a "safe relationship" with Jimmy that lacks the passion that she feels when she is with Davis. And for the record all of the things she's done for Davis outweigh normal "sacrifice" that you would have for a simple friend:

A. Hugs him while Jimmy is lying in a hospital bed
    B. Only recogniizing Davis when she forgot who she was- not even remembering Clark
    C. Cooking for and harboring a known serial killer
    D. Choosing to believe Davis over Jimmy who is her HUSBAND for crying out loud

There's no way she's just a run of the mill martyr here. She is falling in love with Davis, remember he is the Kryptonian that she can actually have...and that is something that is almost impossible to resist.
    Very interesting and insightful post. Welcome
    Last edited by supercatmom; 09-14-2009, 11:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Originally posted by rowan sjet
      I think it's because she believes it's better to do something, anything, than to just give up on saving him in order to save everyone else. She wants to do both, and this is the only way with even the remotest chance she can see of doing it. I think Chloe, and Davis, would have readily gone along with Clark's original PZ idea if they didn't think they had another choice, the same as in Eternal. But they did have another option, so I was proud of Chloe, and ultimately Clark, for their decision to not give up on Davis so easily, and am confident when all is said and done that Clark will be back to thinking the same way following his attempts at cutting himself off from his humanity, especially since at least one of the producers outright said Chloe was doing the 'right' thing. They both just have to be smarter about what they do.

No, for me where things get murky is Chloe's decision to hide Davis from Clark. If she had told him, then they might have worked together, instead of at cross purposes, and possibly came up with the Black Kryptonite/Phantom Zone idea much more quickly, and been able to implement it successfully. On the other hand, Clark does care about Chloe and maybe wouldn't be too happy with Chloe being alone with a potentially dangerous guy who's obsessed with her. Would he have stopped her from seeing Davis, as Chloe implies and Clark acknowledges as likely true during the Beast phone call, thus removing Doomsday's leash before they have a plan for dealing with him? We can't know what decision Clark would have made if offered the choice, but that's kinda the whole point. I see the side that telling Clark would have been the best thing to do, but I see the other side that telling Clark just adds even more risk to the equation. I don't know what I would have chosen.

SPOT ON POST!!
      You make great points.

I always believed that Davis would have submitted to banishment to the PZ if he hadn't believed that Chloe could keep the inner beast at bay---and if she hadn't sold him on the idea that this is what she wanted too. After all, the man chose a painful death by kryptonite before asking Chloe to help him suppress the beast as a last resort.

By hiding Davis in secret from even Clark, Chloe took the decision out of Clark's hands. Given Clark's tendency to believe in the innate decency of individuals and to seek out non-lethal, non-extreme, even potentially redemptive paths of dealing with others, I think he and Chloe could have eventually worked together to save Davis and send Doomsday to the PZ before Tess had the PZ crystal destroyed. (This aspect of Clark's character earns him so much flack on these threads. Yet I think it is what makes him truly Superman....not his ability to pound villains into the ground or whether he wears a cape, glasses and flies.)

Of course that eventual brainstorming teamwork was predicated on convincing Clark that Chloe was safe with Davis----a tall hurdle to overcome. Like you said, Clark's wish to keep Chloe safe by keeping her apart from Davis could have unleashed Doomsday before they had a viable plan.

But we'll never know......

Still, I believed and shall always believe that Chloe was right to try to save Davis.
      ....And to answer the thread: She did it for both Davis and Clark. (But predominantly for Clark.)

Anyway, you stated all this so much better than I just did. Great post!
      Last edited by JennyFaye; 03-09-2010, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Clark. She definitely had feelings for Davis, I'm sure of that- her dream/fantasy made it perfectly clear she had feelings for Davis but her dream also ended with her screaming at what had happened to Clark.

I loved and still love Chloe/Davis and I think she might have loved Davis too- if not love there were still most definitely some feelings involved, but that got put ASIDE when she has to face the reality of the whole situation. Some people said why didn't she tell Clark about Davis and why did she hide him out. Well, I always kind of felt this was clear, even with her feelings for Davis, protecting Clark always seems to come first. What if somehow Davis found out that she had told Clark he was back and Davis did not like this?

Chloe remembers that Davis said he was pretty much made to destroy Clark. I don't blame Chloe for not telling Clark, I think it was another way of her trying to protect him. We can argue about whether her actions were right or wrong throughout this series of events, but I don't doubt for a second that everything that's been brought up in the thread was for Clark (with me acknowledging that she totally had feelings for Davis).

She's loyal/protective of Clark until the end, even in something as simple as not wanting him to kill himself with guilt later on for sending Davis off to the PZ. I need to take this point to also say that I'm also a Chlark fan lol, but her feelings for him, I don't think were romantic for a long time by this point. Sometimes there's a love and loyalty that comes even before romantic love (which COULD be what she felt for Davis, or not) and that's what Chloe's love is for Clark, as much as the Chlark fan in me in me would have liked to have said she was still in love with him, I don't think it was that- there's just an eternal love that she’s got for him that's different from others.

Like others have said though, I think Chloe herself said it best at the end of Beast. "Everything I've ever done-right or wrong, I did for you... I’m protecting you...” Clark talks about sacrificing herself and she still tries to make him understand “I must have thrown a million green rocks away and I have never really saved you- now I can... Clark, if there’s one lesson I’ve learned from you it’s that choosing the greater good is never a sacrifice” (oh and I sidenote, that scene usually makes me cry lol)

I believe someone said something about if she was really doing it all for Clark why would she call him and basically tell him stuff that would make him feel guilty- she didn’t call to make him feel bad/guilty, she called him to let him know she was alright, so she could alleviate the worry he had to be feeling, she did not want to make him feel guilty.

So long rant short, I say that it was all for Clark (even though I absolutely believe she had feelings for Davis, that’s why there was so much chemistry- those feeling didn’t matter if Clark’s life was at stake)

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎