Open Note to Bryan Q. Miller

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eas
    Dear Mr. Miller,

I have no idea if you ever check K-Site or not, but I figured it was worth a shot. I've watched three episodes written by you and I just had to let my thoughts on your writing come out.

YOU ROCK.

"Committed" was excellent. "Bulletproof" was fantastic. And "Hex" is - imo - one of the best Smallville episodes I've ever seen. (And I've seen every episode since the Pilot.)

I know you're new this season, but can you just write every single episode from now on?

You have this amazing ability to write Clark Kent in a manner that makes me want to leap into the screen and hug him. It makes me grin ear to ear, because I feel like I've just watched the man who would be Superman come to life. Welling always has the potentional to be the best incarnation of Superman EVER, and in your episodes I feel like you really make the best of that potentional. You write a strong Clark Kent who also has this sly sense of humor. You write him as a man who accepts his responsibilities without being overburdened by them. You also write him as a man who has friends who care about him and he considers that one of his strengths.

And Lois? You get Lois Lane like no other... you give Durance such awesome material to work with that she must laughing in happiness everytime she gets a script written by you. Both "Committed" and "Hex" feature a Lois Lane that is sweet and fierce at the same time. We get a glimpse into Lois's psyche and her life in a way that very few writers have touched in the series up to this point. And you do it with just the inclusion of a few lines here and there -- in a completely natural way. Who knew that Lois had weekly poker nights with cops? And, yet, it makes so much sense. And it didn't take much for you to get that point across, either. Just a quick scene - a shot here and there - and we suddenly have this whole door to Lois's opened for us. THANK YOU.

I'd go on and on... about how you also write a great Ollie. How my favorite Chloe moments this season were written by you. I'd also mention how you are great at making a story go from humorous to tense in two seconds flat. Or how you play to every character's strengths... but, I think you get the gist.

Keep doing what you're doing... can't wait to see more from you in S9!!

Sincerely, Sana
    So much word to that Sana.

BQM, you rock my socks.

Comment

BQM, I'll add my kudos to the ones above. Great work!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AgentChaos
        Unfortunately, he did write Hex. Which explains a lot.
        Yup. I just checked. I was hoping he'd write Stilleto (And I read it somewhere!!). This episode was funny, but limited what he could do in that Stilleto is going to be the powerhouse Clois episode. I don't really enjoy Caroline Dries stuff, and I wish he wrote this one.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Supsfan
        Caroline Dries wrote Stiletto
        Thanks. I saw that afterward (And edited my message--sorry, I should have left it).
        Last edited by davidbrenton; 03-26-2009, 06:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

This episode was a highpoint for this season, and it was a call back to the episodes of past which were often great every single week. They've been hit or miss for awhile, but "Hex" nailed it with the mixing of great comedy with heartwarming moments. That's what should be the main objective week after week and not the drama we're getting used to. Give Lois more scenes, bring Zatanna back, and keep the fun and excitement this episode presented for the next season. That's all I ask for, and I can guarentee you'll get a boost in ratings, good stories, and the SV fans will love you for it.

Comment

I agree. I'm glad TPTB added him to their staff this season.

Comment

Originally posted by latingirl
              i am 100% agree with Sana.... This episode was the most enjoyably, funny in smallville serie... In this Tom could show us a very amazing actoral -comedian work... great job
              Yes, the scene on the DP roof with EDChloe and Clark was the highlight of the episode. I could not stop laughing.

I loved how Welling played Clark -- he was adorable and dorky at the same time. You really understood how his future Clark Kent persona will work & I could just see how Lois would handle him in the future. She won't know whether to roll her eyes or give him a hug.

Seeing Welling play that scene made me sad that we don't get more moments like this on the show -- where he gets to play around with his comic chops & we get to see the lighter side of Clark's life. That's what I love about Miller's episodes -- Clark is always a happier person, even with dark stuff going on around him. I see in SVClark what I've loved about so many other Supermans before him.

Comment

This guy really should write the whole season, he makes everyone likeable and as Tom said, every line has a purpose. I love this writer!

Comment

I kind of wish Bryan Miller watched some Smallville episodes at some point so he would know what the storyline is. Chloe and Oliver were pals? Lois is an awesome reporter that everyone loves and cheerily serves? Clark is a douche-nozzle that frames Lois' rules?

Way to ruin every character while showcasing ED's lack of talent. I've never seen Chloe chew her lip like that a billion times. It was like they decided that the "Chloe thing" would be the lip chew, because AM does it sometimes (which she does) so ED decided she'd act like a less strident, (more) clueless LOIS and chew her lip a bunch.
                  Last edited by STFanatic; 03-26-2009, 08:01 PM. Reason: Violation of KryptonSite rule #10

Comment

Originally posted by eas
                    Yes, the scene on the DP roof with EDChloe and Clark was the highlight of the episode. I could not stop laughing.

I loved how Welling played Clark -- he was adorable and dorky at the same time. You really understood how his future Clark Kent persona will work & I could just see how Lois would handle him in the future. She won't know whether to roll her eyes or give him a hug.

Seeing Welling play that scene made me sad that we don't get more moments like this on the show -- where he gets to play around with his comic chops & we get to see the lighter side of Clark's life. That's what I love about Miller's episodes -- Clark is always a happier person, even with dark stuff going on around him. I see in SVClark what I've loved about so many other Supermans before him.
                    The Daily Planet scene was my favorite, too. Tom Welling was such a riot!

Comment

I don't really know much about SV writers, but if this is the same guy that wrote Committed, then I tip my hat to him.

He can write comedic Clois like no other. The script was terrific and the line delivery coupled with comedic timing was greater.

Comment

BQM's episodes are made of win, Nuff said.

Comment

no offense but what was the point of this episode so late in the story arc? honestly how many times do i have to bear witness to clark wanting to live a normal life? it is just becoming to repetitive.

Comment

I agree, tonight's episode was one of the best so far this season.

Comment

He's GENIOUS. He must have sarcasm down to a T in real life lol.

Comment

Yep. Awesome episode, with sparkly writing.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎