• Yes

19 33.33%
  • No

20 35.09%
  • Not sure

18 31.58%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Jesse Dead?

I'm really not sure. I was waiting for something at the end of the episode that would either confirm Jesse alive or dead. It was a great frakkin episode!

I like that they left it ambiguous because it makes u wonder about Derek.

I'm actually hoping that he didn't kill Jesse, because I am tired of everybody lying to John.

I like how they've made it ambiguous as I'm still unsure if Derek shot her.

It does allow for them to bring her back in the future and if the writing for her character is as good as it was for this episode then I would enjoy her return for a few episodes.

New In Town
    He didn't exactly give a straight answer. Yeah, John let her go. But did Reese? I think this give the Jesse actress an option to come back or not.
    Last edited by xHTx; 03-21-2009 at 07:54 AM.

Of course Jesse is not dead. Duh. They will bring her back when Season 3 is picked up. Yes...picked up.

Settling In
    I don't think he did. The thing that tells me no he didn't was when he went back into the apartment and when John asked him if he killed her. Derek said John Conner said to let her go. (To me) This is his way of showing John that he'll do and follow John Conner decisions now since the tension is now bit resolved about the "Am I speaking to John Baum or John Connor?" Derek had a problem listening to the "John Baum" who seem to be running from his destiny. John Connor on the other hand....Derek has said "...I die for you...we all die for you." Out of respect to John decision I think he let her go. I mean he would be no better then the human's who sent her behind John back. Seems like people have trouble following orders and Derek might just be trying to show John he can follow them. I know people are going to say "John Connor let you go..." line. The military structure of the human in the future, I thought it was just some humans claiming they are military after the bombs were drop but the fact is they do use tactics and military rules that are used in today's military. The military ranking, position of authority just like the real military. If you were in the military then you know when someone above you said something that's that. You couldn't use a line "...he let you go...."and pull out your weapon and do your own thing. Doing the in the military (depending on the situation) Article 15, court martial, (or during a time of war) Death. And John is like the ive-star general of resistance. Not saying John would kill him for not listening but it seem like the people in the future see all that happens in the past so for him to kill her would show them that Derek does his own thing and is not better then they are. I think I went way over with the explanation. As you can see, I think too much into this stuff.

But my answer is no. i dont think he killed her =)

Posting Pro
    I do think that the submarine story leaves us with some unanswered questions, I find it hard to believe that they will just leave us hanging with the "Will you join us?" line, and I am unsure of whether or not I think Cameron will let us in on it, or if she even knows about it(being from a different timeline) which only leaves Jesse.

I still think she's dead, but I can see why they may have left it ambiguous.

Me Grimlock no like u! Xanderman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KryptoKnight View Post
    "john connor let her go"
    I think it basically means that since Derek would likely emulate John Conner, he probably let her go, too.
    BTW, the last sound of that scene with Derek and Jesse was the click of the trigger and to me, it seemed like it was saying the barrel was empty or else it misfired.
    Definitely one way of looking at it, and it fits with what he said later:

Derek: You lead.
    John: And they follow.
    Derek: WE follow.

Implying Derek follows John, no matter what. Meaning if John decided to let go, then he too would let her go. However, this seems to be in conflict with his final words to Jesse, which were "John Connor said to let you go. I'm not John Connor", making this all quite ambiguous. As this line comes off to me as that while John may have let her go, he wasn't going to. Also connects with his story about Billy Wisher/Andy Good being someone he loved like a brother, but he still killed him. Setting the stage for what he was about to do to another person he loved.

However, as you said we only heard the click of the trigger, which could mean the gun was empty and he was only killing her symbolically, as Bladesworn said. And giving her the good scare she deserved for deceiving him (and killing Riley) at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladesworn View Post
    Derek pulled the trigger, but you never heard the gun go off... I thought I heard only a click. Which means Derek fired, but ther were no bullets in the gun. It was a symbolic shooting. John Connor said let her go. Derek, being the good soldier, followed orders and let her go and live, but symbollically shot her with an empty gun, meaning that he "killed" her in his heart and doesn't see her as an ally/friend/lover anymore.
    Very nice way of looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy-101 View Post
    I don't think Jesse's dead, but I don't think they can just let her walk away, either. They should at least grill her to find out if they can get the names of any of the future mutineers out of her. She maybe knows very little, those who sent her maybe saw to that in case she was caught. But Team Connor should at least try to see if they can get any information out of her. It might not be too useful now, but it would be in the future. Even if Jesse is alive, I doubt we'll see her again for awhile, just to keep us guessing if she's dead or alive. But all the loose ends of her story haven't been tied up yet. It doesn't seem logical that they would let her walk or kill her without first interrogating her about who sent her...maybe in the way she interrogated Fischer.
    Very true. It is not believable at all that they would just let her walk away, or kill her (if Derek actually did it) before getting any information out of her. Neither John nor Derek really grilled her or probed into her intentions, did they? Derek barely even let Jesse get in a few words before he pulled the gun on her. She was about to tell him about the baby she lost--his baby, but Derek was too busy stuck in "blind rage" mode. Same thing with Riley. John suspected her for a while apparently, but he never confronted her for answers. He just played along until she ended up dead. Dead people don't tell tales. But of course, key players (in both camps--Connor and Skynet) not seeing the "whole picture" or all the pieces of the chess game is a big reason why the causal loop exists. It's the reason why John exists in the first place--because Skynet did not know sending a machine back to erase his existence is the (indirect) reason he exists in the first place (because his father follows). Just one (predestination) paradox of many.
    Last edited by Xanderman; 03-21-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Banned
    "John Connor said to let you go."

Pause

"I'm not John Connor."

oh i hope she still alive. i love her

Posting Pro
    I don't think that our Derek Reece was actually the father of the baby she lost. I don't think they ever showed us when the submarine incident actually happened did they? For all we know it was in the timeline created after Derek came back and teamed up with JC. I think that may have been a very important part of Derek's "You're not my Jesse" line, and very important to this "did he kill her or not debate".

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison_Bergeron View Post
    I don't think that our Derek Reece was actually the father of the baby she lost. I don't think they ever showed us when the submarine incident actually happened did they? For all we know it was in the timeline created after Derek came back and teamed up with JC. I think that may have been a very important part of Derek's "You're not my Jesse" line, and very important to this "did he kill her or not debate".
    They did show Derek and Jesse saying good-bye to each other just before the sub mission, though. (Jesse saying are you always going to be like this when I go on a mission, and saying the sub captain was a good bloke, and Derek telling her not to believe it, etc.) So Derek was definitely around up to that point.

And Derek tells her he's going on a mission, too. I always wondered if it was his mission to the past being referred to there. Maybe by the time Jesse got back from the sub mission, Derek was gone?

Forum Regular
    Derek did not kill Jesse. Derek quoted John and John Connor said to let her go.

Derek would not lie about a killing. Ask Andy Goode!!!!

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy-101 View Post
    They did show Derek and Jesse saying good-bye to each other just before the sub mission, though. (Jesse saying are you always going to be like this when I go on a mission, and saying the sub captain was a good bloke, and Derek telling her not to believe it, etc.) So Derek was definitely around up to that point.

And Derek tells her he's going on a mission, too. I always wondered if it was his mission to the past being referred to there. Maybe by the time Jesse got back from the sub mission, Derek was gone?
    I mean that the Derek we saw talking to Jesse about the milk run was likely the new timeline Derek, the same one that was tortured and studied in an earlier episode. If our Derek's original Jesse did not have to deal with his torture and the submarine incident then she would/may not have been the pessimistic war ravaged person that the new timeline Jesse was.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast