No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Like Jonathan Kent?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I think

[QUOTE=xrayvision;4598670]Jonathan was awesome. I miss him & really want him back. It's been proven so many times that Clark still needs him & Martha in his life.

I have written fanfics that I posted on this site, but none with Jonathan. jonatan was a really good male prototype. I think that ck needs more than a voice in the north. And jor-el choose lionel as the human help. Why? He really needs cloe. But her memory is gone...(I have just seen to episode 10s8)

Comment

Wish he could have stayed longer.

Comment

Originally posted by moviefan2k4
        Jonathan Kent, as portrayed by John Schneider, is probably my second all-time favorite depiction of a TV dad (the first being Bill Cosby as Cliff Huxtable). Jonathan was a strong, independent, and honorable man who wasn't afraid to show his feelings to his family. He did his best to raise Clark with strong virtues, showed immense dedication to Martha, and treated people with kindness, respect, and dignity.

The character's only weaknesses on the series were his love for his family and his anger towards the Luthors, both of which were understandable. He was perfectly willing (on more than one occasion) to give his life for Martha, Clark, or both. Mr. Schneider's portrayal and how the character was written were both very welcome departures from the typical "Mom's a genius, Dad's an idiot" scenario that's on most TV shows nowadays.

I think some of my favorite moments involving Jonathan were probably the "Lineage" episode, his reaction to Clark sleeping with Lana in "Hidden", the sendoff speech to Clark in "Commencement", and most of the farmhouse scenes with Martha.
        Jonathan Kent's character was a refreshing change from the ineffective powerless "stupid-dad" that is so commonly portrayed on just about every other program. How sad that a character portrayed with dignity and integrity would be considered "cheesy and cliche". Your observation is spot on. I miss that element on the show very much and I hope they find a way to re-introduce that sort of influence in Clark's journey towards being Superman.

Comment

Jonathan was a great character but I think they choose the right time to kill him

Comment

I always liked him. He was my favorite character at first, besides Chloe. He was so great. I was so sad when he died. I still miss him sometimes and all the great father & son moments.

Comment

I thought he was handled really well on the show aside from a few select moments. I was skeptical of John Schneider at first, but he did a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Investigations
                No, I've never particularly been a fan of Jonathan. I thought Shneider handled the role brilliantly, but the dialogue he was given always seemed very cheesy and cliched.
                same here

Comment

Jonathan Kent was awesome i loved his character especially his dynamic with clark. It's a shame that they had to kill his character so early, the show has never been the same since his departure.

Comment

Jonathan Kent was an awesome dad, who loved his family/friends very much. He would "sacrifice anything" to make sure his son was safe. He wasn't perfect, but show me a human who is.

John Schneider portrayed him brillantly. He really delivered everytime Jonathan had a talk with Clark. I especially love the scene in Commencement:

Jonathan: All the years that your mother and I spent raising you from a wide-eyed toddler running around on this farm, to the man who is standing in front of me right now, was for this moment. You do this son, you make us proud.

That literally made me cry. The same with Reckoning & the last scene in Vengeance

Jonathan Kent was truly the best tv-dad in my opinion. John will always be remembered as Clark Kent's dad and that makes me happy.

And to answer the OPs question- YES, I miss Jonathan Kent!

Comment

Originally posted by Clark/Lois-fan
                      Jonathan: All the years that your mother and I spent raising you from a wide-eyed toddler running around on this farm, to the man who is standing in front of me right now, was for this moment. You do this son, you make us proud.

That literally made me cry. The same with Reckoning & the last scene in Vengeance

Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanClark_20
                        He's my favorite
                        I liked him, I thought it was cool they got someone from Dukes of Hazard to play his part...

Comment

He was without a doubt the best character on the show! I liked him very much ... It's such a shame that they killed off such a great character...

Why did Clark have to play god and mess with time to bring Lana back from the dead?? I could live soooo much better without Lana but if Jonathan was still around!!

Oh well, he would have probably died anyways because of his heart...

Comment

Jonathan was one of the best TV portrayals of a father that I've ever seen. Yes, some of the dialogue that was given to him may have been cheezy but John worked magic with it. Television these days seems to shun the family man in favor of idiot/deadbeat dads. It was a refreshing change to see a father figure that had morals, integrity and a genuine love for his family. It was a shame that his character had to pass when he did.

Comment

I'd personally like to know whether Mr. Schneider still watches "Smallville", even though he's no longer in it. If they ever chose to bring him back, it'd be good to have that knowledge in his head so he could call Clark out on some of the crap he's pulled.

Comment

I want to see him return for something. (obviously in an AU or a dream ) I miss Jonathan.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎