ando's accent?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ando's accent?

What happened to Ando's accent?

Has anyone noticed that in the last couple of episodes, Ando's Japanese accent is starting to disappear?

He is starting to speak English like Westerner. I find it a little weird that he would suddenly "lose" his accent.

Yeah, it's kind of weird. He's done such a good job with the accent, I don't believe that it's him suddenly not being able to do it. It's something you'd think they'd pick up while doing the episode. Or maybe they just expect people to be fine with "He's been in America a while, he's adopted an American accent now" excuse that they'll probably use, even though it came out of nowhere.

Comment

That does happen though, Mohinder lost his in practically the third episode

Comment

yup, you do lose your accent if you speak the language enough and if you are not that bad at studying and mimicking people.

Comment

Well, obviously you lose your accent over time, but Ando's seems to have just disappeared in one episode. It was there, full-on, then next episode it was completely gone.

Comment

maybe it has something to do with the actor playing ando. he's actually korean playing japanese. he's fluent in japanese though. the accent might be different. but of course maybe he just got tired of doing the accent.

Comment

Originally posted by spicyblark
              That does happen though, Mohinder lost his in practically the third episode
              Actually it was more a change in accents, he's not speaking with an American accent. I'm sure they dropped the Indian accent for more insidious reasons--namely, such an accent is not typically seen as "cool" or attractive sounding. They replaced it with a slightly British accent instead, I guess to make him "sexier" or less offputting/"just off the boat" foreigner sounding. Cheap, but hey that's Heroes.

Originally posted by hansioux
              yup, you do lose your accent if you speak the language enough and if you are not that bad at studying and mimicking people.
              This is mostly true for kids. The older the person gets, the harder it is to ever completely lose a foreign accent. I for one don't find it believable for Ando to be speaking in perfect English already--unless that's his "mutant" power...heh

Originally posted by hellnback
              but of course maybe he just got tired of doing the accent.
              Or maybe the actor is unhappy for some reason (like maybe he knows something we don't, like his character may be getting written out soon? who knows). Either that or these are just plain screwups, which the director/others should be catching and correcting. I guess nobody thought it was a big thing and they're just letting it go. Lazy. Or maybe they are purposely "phasing out" the accent, for whatever reason.
              Last edited by Xanderman; 12-10-2008, 11:14 AM.

Comment

And remember, it's only been about 6 months in the Heroes timeline since season one began, so I really doubt anyone would lose their accent that quickly.

Comment

Mohinder turned British, Maya sounds like Hilda from Ugly Betty, and Ando lacks accent -- that's Heroes for ya.

Comment

^ It's funny, they tried out "indian Mohinder" first but probably thought he was coming off too "Apu" or something (The Simpsons), so they gave him a more British sounding accent instead, to make him more "suave" sounding or something (or to just "white-ify" him). Especially since the actor also doubled as the narrator, they probably wanted his voice/accent appealing to their majority audience (which is probably white people).

"Racist" Viewer: "Heavens to Betsy, is that an INDIAN talking? Why should we, as white people, care what this indian person is saying? I'm changing the channel!" (Viewer lost. Ratings suffer. lol)

Mohinder now narrating in "sexier/cooler" British accent, same "Racist" Viewer: "I'm so intrigued by this show! Whoever that narrator is, I want him to have my BABIES!" (Ratings skyrocket. lol)

I'm exaggerating here of course, but I'm sure the truth isn't too far off. heh
                    Last edited by Xanderman; 12-11-2008, 02:39 PM.

Comment

hey at least its better then Halle Barry in X-Men.. SHE TOTALLY LOST HERS.. African princess my as$!

in the flash back eps of mohinder talking to his dad and such, they both sound more britsh anyways.. which isnt too far off for indians speaking english, since the brits like to invade alot. blah.. but anyways.. ya.. sorry but storm in X-men movies, kills me. lol

Comment

Originally posted by JW_102792
                        Well, obviously you lose your accent over time, but Ando's seems to have just disappeared in one episode. It was there, full-on, then next episode it was completely gone.
                        If that were true, there would be tonnes of Chinese Canadians who lost their accents. I have yet to find one adult that had an accent and lost it; however, while in Texas or down south I curiously developed a southern accent. I dont think Asian adults lose their accent. Then again, I have never seen or heard of a two or three hour eclipse either.

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by hellnback
                        maybe it has something to do with the actor playing ando. he's actually korean playing japanese. he's fluent in japanese though. the accent might be different. but of course maybe he just got tired of doing the accent.
                        actually, no. he's not fluent. he learned the words/announciation as needed for the show. there was a wee bit of trivia on global tv one time about him and his accent.
                        Last edited by Newb; 12-11-2008, 10:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

It doesnt take very long to lose an accent, especially if its not a very strong one and your still relatively young like Ando is.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎