No announcement yet.

well, First I guess!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well, First I guess!

Let me start by saying, I LOVE JACK KNIGHT. yes, I have every issue of every comic he apperaed in, I even collected when the series went horribly in the wrong direction. Personlly I would like to see this show on cable, preferbly HBO. Its a little intense for network.

Wow!! The first reply to the first thread of the first forum of "Knight's Past: Starman"

What is this all about anyways???

Comment

My personal favorite Starman was Will Payton (sp?) simply because the series went back to a simple old style formula. It was just great fun with minimal angst. Ok, I guess with his parental issues a lot of angst, but he seemed to actually have fun as Starman andwanted to be a hero because he could not out of obligation, guilt, etc.

That said, I did like Jack Knight and the take on the Starman legacy by the writers and I also liked the way they portrayed his dad. The series wasn't just about a reluctant hero it was about such an ordinary person who was a reluctant hero. I remember a scene in GL where he and Kyle were chatting about some Pop memorabilia at Hal's funeral.

I agree, I think he would transfer quite easily to television or the movies and be very entertaining.

Comment

Yes, I enjoyed the Will Payton series also. There's a consistent quality to every comic Roger Stern writes, no matter who the characters are.

Interesting that you mention the pop memorabilia that Jack Starman was so fond of. I wonder how or whether a Starman TV show would incorporate it. I think that a comic can get away with showing images of such trinkets that exist in the real world: it's only a drawing, not the thing itself being shown, but a TV show on ABC must actually have the thing onscreen, and in the context of Jack being a proprietor of a shop that sells such things, there could be a belief that the audience is being sent a message that ABC is selling or endorsing, say, the Chuck Berry humidor or whatever.

(Same principle as why there are never any McDonalds, Starbucks, Coke or Pepsi on a TV show. Any perception of endorsing one real-world product over another is a no-no.)

Probably there will have to be significant watering-down of the pop-culture aspect of Starman's life and times.

Comment

I remember hearing that since the WB needs to pimp music, instead of owning an antiques shop, he owns a music store.

Comment

dsv100, mentioning a real-world product in a series is not a no-no. It's called "Product Placement" and it happens all the time. In the last episode of Smallville, Chloe mentions Red Bull energy drink in an awkward and blatant way. I think this would make for a great series. The Starman series that have been mentioned here were both very well written and the Will Payton character could even be easily written into a Jack Knight series as a guest or recurring character (Will was my favorite Starman, too. I was very disappointed when that series was ended - and that Mignola had anything to do with it. I am just not a fan of his art and further, it's too dark and moody to go with the Will Payton character).

Knights Past: Starman would be one of those series that would appeal to collectors and still bring in folks that haven't read it because it's just a great story.

Peace out.

Comment

Why does everyone keep on referring to the show as "Knights Past: Starman" ?

Comment

The only one here who's referred to the show as such is our friend above with the peculiar definition of "product placement." Everyone else who says "Knights Past: Starman" is referring only to Craig's website "Knights Past" -- a name he chose just as "GothamClockTower.com" was his choice for the BoP website and "Kryptonsite" was his choice for the Smallville site.

Comment

I think Starman would make a great show. I really enjoy the old comic, and he's great in JSA.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎