0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Broken TV. From the badness
    0%

That was crazy!!

First, I'd like to say that this show needs more Black Canary. Can we make that happen?? Somebody get on that please.

Second, I like that officer Lance is on "The Arrow"'s side; doesn't even mind that he shots ppl in the neck with darts or through the shoulders. That being said, his "I'm still a cop" line didn't seem needed if he isn't gonna do cop things around him. Another thing about Quintin, I like the convo he had with Laurel at the office.

Speaking of Laurel, third: I like how she came to the conclusion that Tommy's death was her fault. Now it was nobody's fault of course, she couldn't have known what was gonna happen by doing what anybody else in her position would have done. But now, maybe she'll lay off The Arrow a bit. I liked that "I'm not the only one to do a 180" line. Way to throw that out in the open writing team! Lol me likey.

Fourth, I understand the secret identity thing, but I feel like they should pull a Man of Steel soon and have Laurel (or maybe her dad) find out Ollie's secret. Can't hide it for forever from the ppl he's closest to without wearing a domino mask like BC, the face paint is kinda losing me.

And lastly, was Sarah (pretty obvious now that we've seen her go after Laurel without hesitation like she knew her) trained by the league of assassin's?! That explains so much and so very little at the same time. Lol that call out at the end though. That was more of a surprise than I was expecting. I'm assuming Asian dude was an assassin too... Pretty sucky assassin.

10/10 from me. Ready for next week!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kdude22
      I'm assuming Asian dude was an assassin too... Pretty sucky assassin.
      Guessing he had some history with her. Didn't make much of a difference in this case, but he might have thought it would give him a chance to bring her in.

Comment

Great episode and man what a name drop. Ra's al Ghul being mentioned. I'm convinced we'll see him by season's end.

A creepy villain this one isn't he?

Comment

I loved the episode. Liked the villain he was really creepy definitely the creepiest yet. I loved that they gave Quentin's full name as Quentin Larry Lance (His name in the comics is Larry Lance). Loved the first full appearance of the Black Canary and the introduction of the League of Assassins and that they mentioned Ra's al Ghul (Though I never know how to pronounce it because it is usually pronounced different) I always pronounce it the same way they do in BtAS and Arkham series but they pronounced it how it was pronounced in the Nolan Batman movies. Liked that island stuff and how it is leading into the next few episodes and Ollie is now off the island.

Comment

Ra's = Raish is supposed to be like that but as you said Nolan movie's just called him Raas.

Comment

Okay thanks so I have been pronouncing it correctly since that is how it is pronounced in Batman the Animated Series and the Arkham video games.

Comment

Great episode! Liked the team up of Oliver and Quentin, definitely a Batman/Gordon feel to it. Also like how they started calling him 'The Arrow.' The island scene's are still one of the most interesting parts of the show, I could watch just those scenes as a stand alone show. The Dollmaker was a really good choice of villain for the circumstances the show is in now. He was the perfect amount of creepy and dangerous. I was thinking we were going to go the entire season with Laurel blaming the Hood for Tommy's death but thankfully the writers got that taken care of fairly quickly. And finally the Black Canary makes her first big appearance. I'm wondering why she's been following Oliver (The vigilante) and helping him out, that's an answer I can't wait to find out. I really don't think it'll be too long before her and Oliver know who each other are.

And last but not least RA'S AL freaking GHUL!!!! I knew the League of Assassins would be in this season but I wasn't sure to what extent but when his name was dropped, I did a little dance in my seat . Really hope we see him down the line.

Comment

I didn't think they would use Ra's Al Ghul because he was used in the Nolan Batman Trilogy and I thought it wasn't going to be mentioned because of the Bat embargo sure other Batman villains were used "Dollmaker" is one of them but they weren't used in the live action movies.

Comment

Apparently the Dollmaker's lawyer is "Tony Daniel," named after the creator of the current version of the character in the comics.

As for the episode itself... WOW. Arrow is 3 for 3 this season.

Comment

My View on "Broken Dolls"

Right, this time, I'm focusing solely on the character storyline and arcs in my review.

Quentin Lance: He takes a further step to become the James Gordon of the Arrowverse. His meeting with the Arrow on the rooftop, handing him the file on Bartin Mathis, and the two working and investigating leads together all was very reminsicent of Nolan's epic trilogy, but with its own feel to it as well which is good. I hate when TV shows or movies just 'rebrand' a storyline rather than make it their own, and in my opinion, Arrow has done a rather good job of making the 'decent cop aids vigilante/hero' storyline its own rather than just being a copycat.

Laurel Lance: They're setting up the beginnings for her dark arc this year, with her going down the route of drugs and alcohol to deal with her grief. Like her father, she now blames herself for Tommy's death even though in the end, the fault is that of his father. Laurel's realization that the Arrow is not at fault may lead to less of antagonism on her part towards the Arrow, but with her scapegoat gone, we can now see why she will turn to drugs and alcohol to escape her pain. Before, she had an external focus. Focusing one's rage internally can be even more detrimental, which her character will explore.

Slade Wilson: Slade's words to Oliver in this episode, combined with the commentary and actions he has taken so far in both the first season and these past three episodes, confirm what I suspected: that Slade is not attracted to Shado, but feels Oliver's feelings for her will get them all killed because he will compromise their position. The writers did a decent job of foreshadowing this in the past two episodes, which culminated in this episode. One of the last images we had of Slade Wilson was of him crying out in pain, one arm burning as he collapsed. This, I believe, will come to be the crucial point that will turn him from loyal companion to the vicious mercenary Deathstroke and likely a recurring villain both on the Island and in Starling City (though admittedly the last one is more hope than anything since I want to see a Green Arrow/Deathstroke showdown).

Island Oliver Queen: Oliver on the Island continues his relationship with Shado and tries to prove Slade wrong about attachment, even going so far as to say "Maybe you should be happy I haven't re-thought an attachment to you!" as he pulls him up. Honestly, once they took off running, I knew that this was going to be the turning point for Slade and Oliver's relationship. Now that Oliver is in a cage on the ship, we can guess he won't spend all his time on the Island but will eventually be taken back there (since the ship he is on at the end of the episode is the same as the destroyed wreck we saw in 2x01).

The Arrow: This episode was less about the development of Oliver Queen the public figure and more about the development of his alter ego from vigilante to hero again. The first episode was about returning to action, and the second was to show he wanted to do more while he waited for something he could do as the Arrow. His and Lance's lines were great, and I loved how Lance apologized for his enthusiasm later on. The Arrow's new partnership with Roy Harper continues to unfold as Roy makes the journey from simply being an informant to being Speedy/Red Arrow.

Proto-Canary: In the first episode she had a brief moment where she is seen taking down a group of street thugs that Roy has engaged in combat after getting a girl to safety. IN this episode, we learn that she has taken to targeting misogynistic criminals. This is a motivation I can easily identify with, as I myself harbor a deep hatred for these types of low-lifes (rapists, child molestors, etc.). I am looking forward to seeing how she evolves from focusing her rage on a single target (no doubt influenced by her time with the League) and becoming a hero alongside the Arrow. I also thought it was very cool how they slipped in the tease of the League's influence. Perhaps I was wrong that Sebastian Blood is the main villain of the season. Or perhaps they are foreshadowing even further. Who knows? But I do know it would be very cool to see the LEague come into Starling City, which we know will happen. My guess is they will be the basis for new 'Dark Archers', who may take on the name 'Merlyn' as they work against the Arrow. Canary's connection to the League is supposed to be explored in episode 5 of this season, which I think will prove to be very interesting. Her sonic cry device was well-thought out and in line with the Arrowverse desire to keep with technologically-based powers (which we all know Barry Allen's superspeed will come from with the super-accelerator).

Felicity and Diggle: These two have more of a minor role in this episode, but that does not make them any less important, though admitteldy Diggle was given more of a backseat this episode while Felicity took the forefront. I like how she keeps pointing out to Oliver that she's in this full-time and that the danger is going to keep coming and she'll go into it whether he likes it or not.

Misc: The storyline on the Starling City "Trial of the Century" begins to move forward in this episode, and I like Oliver's desire to beat this death penalty rap for his mother. Again, the name-drop of Ra's Al Ghul and the references throughout to the League of Assassins gives a suggestion that they will be involved full-bore in this season. Considering that ARGUS is meant to play a role in some fashion on the side of the Arrow this season, I'd guess that we'll see the beginnings of a secondary version of the Justice League (Arrow, Canary, Speedy/Red Arrow, Flash) by the end.

All in all, I give this episode a 10 rating for superb storytelling and the writer's ability to confront the stuff we've all been talking about head-on. THAT is what makes Arrow different than countless other superhero shows. It confronts its occasional faults head-on, or rather lays the groundwork for them then surprises the fans by confronting them.

Comment

this show keeps getting better and better!

Originally posted by Halberdier17
                        I loved the episode. Liked the villain he was really creepy definitely the creepiest yet. I loved that they gave Quentin's full name as Quentin Larry Lance (His name in the comics is Larry Lance). Loved the first full appearance of the Black Canary and the introduction of the League of Assassins and that they mentioned Ra's al Ghul (Though I never know how to pronounce it because it is usually pronounced different) I always pronounce it the same way they do in BtAS and Arkham series but they pronounced it how it was pronounced in the Nolan Batman movies. Liked that island stuff and how it is leading into the next few episodes and Ollie is now off the island.
                        Originally posted by maasaloo
                        Ra's = Raish is supposed to be like that but as you said Nolan movie's just called him Raas.
                        this part always annoys me a little for some reason, i mean why can't all DC comic adaptations just settle on ONE pronunciation!
                        it's not like you would call Batman "Bootman" or something

/endrant

Comment

Arrow is definitely hitting its stride.

9 out 10

WOW!!! Can we get a Black Canary Spinoff already? She is bad@$$. I loved Black Canary rescuing Oliver from Laurel. But now...

There seems to be a reversal of roles with the Lances this season. Laurel wanting the Vigilante's head, while Quentin becoming a Vigilante supporter.

Meanwhile Oliver is using Roy for some side missions (e.g. searching for Black Canary) Was that the clocktower?

And Ra's al Ghul...coming soon maybe????

Comment

Ra's. Al. Ghul.

That's how much I enjoyed tonight's episode.

I knew Black Canary would rescue him, and I was hoping...just hoping...Black Canary had dealings with the League of Assassins. What would be even more amazing is if she was revived from the Lazarus Pit.

Also, did anyone else catch this? Laurel's dad, while being arrested, his full name was mentioned and it's Quentin Larry Lance. Larry Lance is just his name in the comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Halberdier17
                              It should be said Rahs al Ghul, but Dennis O'Neil said it's said as Raysh and since he created it, that's the template of how it's usually said. Glad Arrow went the right route, or as I call it the right way. Again, since Dennis created the character, Raysh could be as much right since he created the character and all and pretty much 99% DC fans would agree on his side, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎