No announcement yet.

Allison Pleads Guilty!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allison Pleads Guilty!

CNN just throwing a banner headline: Allison Mack Pleads Guilty To Sex Trafficking Case

What this means for her we will see; I had heard she was plea bargaining. Perhaps something to lessen the charge or sentence?

Tragic for her, such a great talent; I have said it before, but her career is likely over

To clear things up, she did not plead guilty to any sex-related charge. Instead, she pled guilty to one count of racketeering, and another of racketeering conspiracy. This is very sad, but I'm glad that she's taking responsibility. I just hope that she and the cult's victims both seek Jesus Christ; only He can give them total peace. As for Raniere, he deserves to spend the rest of his life in jail...but I do pray he seeks Jesus too.

As for Allison's career, that will likely depend on how much time (if any) she spends behind bars, and what connections (again, if any) she still has in Hollywood. Assuming that she still wants to be an actress, she may have to work her way up again from square one.
    Last edited by moviefan2k4; 04-08-2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Yes, the racketeering charge is accurate, not sex-related. Still, CNN's story stated as much as 20 years per charge. 2 charges, 40 years. Yipes! I don't know that it will come to that.

As for her career, assuming she would still wish to act, I am only guessing that casting directors may shy away from her.

Her sentencing is reported as set for September 11 of this year.

Comment

I hope she did well with her money because I can't see anyone (connections or not) going near her and hiring for any sort of TV/Movie projects. Even if she gets out in years and reforms herself, that's a lot of negative press attached to her.

I'm all for 2nd chances, but not in this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Jor-El
          Yes, the racketeering charge is accurate, not sex-related. Still, CNN's story stated as much as 20 years per charge. 2 charges, 40 years. Yipes! I don't know that it will come to that.

As for her career, assuming she would still wish to act, I am only guessing that casting directors may shy away from her.

Her sentencing is reported as set for September 11 of this year.
          People who plead guilty often get reduced sentences, so I'm hoping that's applied to her case. Raniere, on the other hand, deserves to rot in prison. He's the sick one; it appears she was simply conned and believed it.

Comment

Originally posted by moviefan2k4
            People who plead guilty often get reduced sentences, so I'm hoping that's applied to her case. Raniere, on the other hand, deserves to rot in prison. He's the sick one; it appears she was simply conned and believed it.
            Yes, by my reading "plea bargaining" a couple of weeks ago, it leads me to think she may testify against Raniere for a reduced (or suspended?) sentence......

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Jor-El
              Yes, by my reading "plea bargaining" a couple of weeks ago, it leads me to think she may testify against Raniere for a reduced (or suspended?) sentence......
              That would be great for us as fans, but I'm trying to think about what would really be best for Allison's own well-being at this point. Prison or not, she's been through something close to hell already with this cult...and I'm not sure she'd survive life as an inmate. A lot of actors come from broken homes, using their craft and the publicity it gains them to gloss over the pain they've been through as kids. The idea of someone who seems well-intentioned being condemned to the horrors of prison seems like an injustice all its own. Assuming Allison's innocent of the cult's more crooked stuff (like the brandings and sex-slave practices), I think she would benefit better from a few years of focused mental and emotional help, possibly in a state facility or something...plus the spiritual help I mentioned earlier.

Comment

This article had a lot of info on exactly what she pled guilty to and what that might mean: https://artvoice.com/2019/04/08/alll...e-i-was-wrong/

The idea is they plead guilty and are considered cooperating witnesses, then depending on how helpful/cooperative they are, they will be sentenced after the trial is over. (At least, that's how it was explained for the others.) She won't spend 40 years in prison, but she will spend some time for sure. (The only one with a shot at getting out of prison time entirely is Nancy Salzman, who pled guilty first - as they say, first one on the bus gets the best seat.)

I would imagine her career as an actress is definitely over - and I hope she can find something else productive to do with her life once she is a free woman again. I also sincerely hope that her words in the courtroom were genuine and not merely a show of contrition in an attempt to garner sympathy (and a lesser sentence). She also needs serious counseling - not only due to being in NXIVM, but also if this is true (it would explain a lot): https://artvoice.com/2019/04/07/ph-d...ed-false-self/

Originally posted by moviefan2k4
                That would be great for us as fans, but I'm trying to think about what would really be best for Allison's own well-being at this point. Prison or not, she's been through something close to hell already with this cult...and I'm not sure she'd survive life as an inmate. A lot of actors come from broken homes, using their craft and the publicity it gains them to gloss over the pain they've been through as kids. The idea of someone who seems well-intentioned being condemned to the horrors of prison seems like an injustice all its own. Assuming Allison's innocent of the cult's more crooked stuff (like the brandings and sex-slave practices), I think she would benefit better from a few years of focused mental and emotional help, possibly in a state facility or something...plus the spiritual help I mentioned earlier.
                As far as I know, her home isn't broken, but several commenters on Artvoice have speculated that she suffered some sort of abuse when younger, which may have messed with her sense of boundaries and caused some of the mental issues that made her so susceptible to Raniere's influence. We'll probably never know.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they'll send her to prison for some length of time - but hopefully it will be a minimum security one that's a bit gentler than some, with counseling and college courses available (one of the factors into her low self-esteem was feeling like she wasn't as smart/educated because she had never been to college - she made a comment about that some years ago to someone, I think).

But as far as her being innocent… there's pretty clear evidence that she knew full well about the branding (and supported it), and she was one of Raniere's sex slaves, with slaves underneath her (iirc India Oxenberg was directly under her). I don't think she set out to do all these things - Raniere is most definitely the evil behind all of this - but she let herself be sucked into it and she will be judged guilty on that account.
                Last edited by Doranwen; 04-08-2019, 08:01 PM.

Comment

It will be a long 5-month wait until September 11 for her. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like waiting to find out how long you will be locked up for. If there's any good in any of this, it's that she appears to have finally come to terms with her horrific actions. She probably won't escape prison anyway, but that's the price she has to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                    If there's any good in any of this, it's that she appears to have finally come to terms with her horrific actions.
                    Yeah, her statement does appear at least to indicate that (you can read the transcript of the whole thing here): https://artvoice.com/2019/04/09/part...res-teachings/
                    I really, really hope it was genuine. She's got a long hard road ahead of her, but at least if she can be healing and growing on it, there might be hope for her.

Also, a transcript of the rest of the hearing for anyone who was curious what was said: https://artvoice.com/2019/04/09/part...oved-at-trial/
                    Last edited by Doranwen; 04-10-2019, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doranwen
                      Yeah, her statement does appear at least to indicate that (you can read the transcript of the whole thing here): https://artvoice.com/2019/04/09/part...res-teachings/
                      I really, really hope it was genuine. She's got a long hard road ahead of her, but at least if she can be healing and growing on it, there might be hope for her.

Also, a transcript of the rest of the hearing for anyone who was curious what was said: https://artvoice.com/2019/04/09/part...oved-at-trial/
                      Thanks for sharing. It's best that we read this sort of stuff whie the hearing is taking place behind closed doors. Seeing her confess her crimes would be a real gut punch.

Lets hope she's sincere. I don't know what kind of life she can have after her legal issues are over, but at least she won't be a mindless drone anymore.

Comment

It brings tears to the eyes. Would so much prefer hearing her proclaim a new project we would all enjoy seeing her in, not her pleading guilty to serious crimes that could lock her away from an extended period.

Comment

It seems likely that Allison will have to serve a prison sentence of some sort, but I hope she can see the errors of her ways and work alongside organisations to help prevent this sort of thing from being carried out by others, or at least bring more evidence to light. This sort of exploitation shouldn't be normalised or trivialised as something that is part of the entertainment industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Bally
                            It seems likely that Allison will have to serve a prison sentence of some sort
                            This article has a good analysis of the likely amount of prison time and whatnot: https://artvoice.com/2019/04/12/what...-allison-mack/

Unfortunately, this one not only sums that up, but points out that her allocution basically just blames Keith for everything and doesn't *really* admit that she chose to do wrong things ("I trusted him! He led me astray!" was basically the gist of it): https://artvoice.com/2019/04/13/the-...ell-fights-on/
                            I'd like to think she's really accepted her guilt in everything, but it doesn't look like that's happened just yet.

Comment

We won't know the full details of her plea until its made public, assuming that even happens. Her trial is set for September, and we have no idea how long that will last.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎