Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tess = Poor Man's Lex

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, it's honestly too early to tell. NO ONE can replace Lex, NO ONE. If the writers purposely try to make Tess a cheap, feminine version of Lex, that transaction is going to fail horribly. We've had seven seasons of seeing Lex evolve, seven seasons of seeing him in a constant and perpetual battle with his darkside, and that has (IMO) given the audience and the viewer a deeper connection with his character than we will EVER HAVE with Tess Mercer. I don't want to see this ruthless, cold, unforgiving woman because then I'm just going to see like I said before, a poor imitation of Lex, which lacks creativity on the writer's part. Toxic did shed some light on her character and she has the potential to be her OWN woman. Not a Luthor wannabe...but her OWN woman.

Traces of this was also found in the last episode, where one of Luthor's henchman stated how differently Lex would've handled the meteor freak. It showed, once again, that Tess has a ruthless side to her, but ruthless in the business sense. She still cares for her fellow man which Lex didn't no matter how many times he said.

Another difference between Luthor and Mercer is their state of mind. Tess seems somewhat grounded in reality, seems more stable, than Lex was who actually tried to convince, and succeeded in convincing himself that all the misdeeds and maleovlent acts he committed were for the benefit of mankind. Tess knows of the grey areas, she knows that life is all black and white, but her grey area isn't as skewed as Lex. THAT'S another difference that makes the Tess character attractive to me. I will NEVER like Tess as much as I like Lex because I've had several seasons to grow up with the character, but at this point in time I don't see her as a complete Lexs knock off. They have extremely similar mannerisms, but that's about it. And I'd like it to remain that way.

Comment

michael rosenbaum is a great actor and we have seven years to fall in love/hate with lex, its not really truly fair to compare him to tess. but over all yes i do agree tess is a poor man's lex. we lost alot when michael did not resign for season 8.

Comment

^^^Agree with you. I find her character cold and annoying, even after "Committed." I have no problem with her being evil, but they need to veer off making her just like Lex. She needs her own brand of rotten behavior, not a clone version of Lex as he was before S7 ended.

Comment

Like most people here, I voted for Lex and I do like Tess, her take on being, for a lack of a better description, a No-nonsense Corporate Cutie is fine, but again no Lex.

Comment

Lex.

although i like tess and her character, as well as the way she is fitting into the stories, Lex was the MAN. i was watching some older eps, and i was just like, man, i miss him. a lot. he gave so much to the show. so much. now he's gone. =(

~H

Comment

How is she an awful actor?

I think some of you guys are being WAY too harsh.

Comment

One word: LEX

Lex is THE BOMB. Tess can't compare, even though she tries.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by bychance
                How is she an awful actor?

I think some of you guys are being WAY too harsh.
                I agree. Some people are being too harsh. Cassidy Freeman isn't a bad actor at all; I just don't happen to care for her character.
                Last edited by HeartChakraBabe; 12-05-2008, 11:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Lex any day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Lex.

What has Tess done that anyone who is capable of reading and sneaking though others belongings couldn't do?

She learned about Davis and Clark though Lionels "hidden" journal.
                    It takes one season of snooping for her to discover things that it took Lex years to?

All this character does is give sob story after sob story about how the men in her life are to blame for anything that went wrong in her life.
                    She's also a golddigger.
                    Last edited by LuthorKent90; 05-30-2009, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LuthorKent90
                      Lex.

What has Tess done that anyone who is capable of reading and sneaking though others belongings couldn't?

She learned about Davis and Clark though Lionels "hidden" journal.
                      It takes one season of snooping for her to discover things that it took Lex years to?

All this character does is give sob story after sob story about how the men in her life are to blame for anything that went wrong in her life.
                      She's also a golddigger.
                      I agree

Lex managed to solve the Veritas mystery that Lionel and the Teagues had tried to solve for years.

Even after Lex went AWOL and Tess took control of Luthorcorp, he was still in control using Tess only as his eyes and ears. Lets face it, Tess was lex's puppet

Hopefully Lex will return and show Tess a thing or two

Comment

I like Tess but she isn't even close to the awesomeness that is Lex Luthor!

Comment

I agree

Lex managed to solve the Veritas mystery that Lionel and the Teagues had tried to solve for years.

Even after Lex went AWOL and Tess took control of Luthorcorp, he was still in control using Tess only as his eyes and ears. Lets face it, Tess was lex's puppet

Hopefully Lex will return and show Tess a thing or two
                          I really liked when one of Lexs minions put Tess in her place.

She asked him to join her, and he replied: "I'd rather shovel cow dung"

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎