Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chloe.....possessive?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I must be in the minority here, but I didn't read that scene as Chloe being jealous, possessive, or being taken over by Brainiac at all. I saw it, first, a way for the writers to convey to the audience why he was with Chloe instead of Lois. Which was EXCELLENT, imo, because - in the past - they would have just assumed that it made perfect sense that he was there with Chloe, even though he's working with Lois, and that the audience should just suck it up and fan-wank what happened in offscreensville.

Now, though, we have a character actually express confusion onscreen (through Chloe) and then have Clark provide the reason why Chloe is at the party with him instead of Lois. Then, furthermore, they use Chloe as a means to convey that Lois and Clark have been spending much more time together than the scenes they have together would suggest (again, a great way to TELL us what's going on in offscreens-ville rather than have us fan-wank it) and Clark, on top of that, shows us that this must be true by correcting Chloe's description of Lois and saying that Lois "underlines 3 times" rather than circling. This directly co-related to them spending more time together and they accomplished it by having Chloe make some noise about it.

To me, I saw this as a means to end: Establishing that (a) Chloe and Clark are not spending that much together (thus telling us why he had no clue she's now Chloiac); (b) Lois and Clark are spending so much time together that others are noticing and it's odd; (c) Clark doesn't mind spending time with Lois and now knows even more about her and has no problem letting people know; (d) Lois would be his partner at the party, but she's going head to head with Tess, instead; (e) This all means that it's not odd at all that Lois is sort of, kind of, developing a crush on Clark; and (f) all is not good in the Chimmy world if Chloe/Jimmy are hanging out less than Clark/Lois are... who are, then, acting more like an engaged couple than Chimmy are.

Originally posted by ShelbyKent
    So yeah, to recap, I think Chloe's dialog at the Ace of Clubs was mainly meant to tease Clark and to establish that Chloe is starting to live her own life with her own set of priorities separate from Clark's needs
    I agree. As I said elsewhere, if I had two friends who never really hung out and bickered & then they started working at the same company, I would be amused. If they then proceeded to act like BFFs, then I'd probably make a comment about it. I think the telling thing was not that Chloe asked (I think it wasn't out of line for her to say something) it was Clark's reaction that was odd. Or, rather, his "over-reaction".... he became very defensive, like Chloe was trying to say that he & Lois are acting like they're engaged. Once Chloe saw how he was taking it, she backed down, because she just didn't want to get into it with him.

Let's also not forget that this dialogue was kicking off "Toxic" so it was referring to events that had taken place between "Plastique" and "Toxic"... time has passed since then & Chloe is catching us up with what has happened in that time frame. In that time frame, she and Clark are not hanging out that much & Clark/Lois are hanging out a lot. She was just making observation (partly exposition) to bring the audience up to speed with where all the different characters stand on this.
    Chloe: As much as I love the one on one time. I gotta say that I'm actually surprised that Lois un-attached you from her hip.

Clark: *his voice a little defensive* What do you mean? Lois and I aren't always together.

Chloe: *looks surprised* Clark... you see her more than I see Jimmy. And we're engaged.

Clark: *turns to face her and makes her stop talking* What are you trying to say?

*Chloe stares up at Clark for a moment, seeming a little surprised at his reaction. She smiles a little and shrugs.*

Chloe: Nevermind. I guess I always thought that I'd be the one circling your typos.

Clark: *relaxes and kind of grins* Lois doesn't circle typos. She underlines them two or three times.

*Chloe grins fondly, kind of like she's not surprised her cousin does that.*

Clark: And she couldn't skip out early. In typical Lois fashion, she's already on Tess's bad side.
    Last edited by eas; 10-09-2008, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveS
      Seems to me that Chloe, the smartest female on this series and now on the way to super intelligence, merely noted the fact that her cousin had foisted herself on Chloe's best friend and longest love on Smallville. Not hard for Chloe to figure out that lois moved in on ClarkMan as soon as Chloe was out of sight, so it might be termed a bit of jealously combined with possessiveness and that mixed with her intelligence, she knows that Smallville's version of lois (though currently upgraded) is not up to ClarkMan's level.

Oh please tell me what episode did Chloe tell Lois how she felt about Clark? And what episode shows Lois moving in on ClarkMan as soon as Chloe was out of sight? And if Lois is not up to ClarkMan's level, why was he so quick to defend Lois and the time he spends with her?

Comment

I still think she's being a hypocrite because she's not thinking about the bigger picture. She could easily not only be putting herself in danger but the whole world as well given what Brainiac can do. That's what I don't like about Chloe. She wants to know everything, she wants Clark to confide in her, but when Clark asks for the same, she snaps at him. Almost appears like a holier than thou attitude. She never was like that in the early seasons.

I agree with you when you say that Chloe has a 'holier than thou' attitude, but I disagree with you with the part that says that she wasn't like that in the earlier seasons. She was. The other day I was watching Exhile/Phoenix and I noticed something that really pissed me off about her. It didn't bother me the first time I saw it, but something happened in my life that changed my perspective about that scene (my 15 year old daughter was missing for a day and her friends covered her little escapade to a concert she didn’t have permission to attend).

Chloe knew where Clark was all the time and never informed anyone. Some may say she was being loyal, that she was protecting their friendship, but that is an absolute crap. Clark was a runaway minor and she should have informed his parents of his whereabouts. I think she was being selfish, irresponsible and possessive for keeping that to herself. She basically wanted to be the only one to know, regardless of what the consequences that Clark's recklessness might bring to himself and his family. She basically put herself (and her very unstable friendship with Clark at the time) above the rest.

Like Lana said (I can’t believe I’m agreeing with her!), Chloe can’t let to go of Clark. She may have moved on from her infatuation/love, she allowed a new man in her life, but she can't stand the idea of Clark getting close to some else.
        Last edited by Bizarrolover; 11-06-2008, 08:15 AM.

Comment

I've watched this episode again since my original post and Chloe was... teasing to get the low down on Clark's love life. He snapped at her (not ready for this conversation) so she quickly changed the subject to Journalism. Seemed to me like Chloe was going down the list of prospects and perhaps hoping that Clark was starting to move on.

Comment

after this episode, I understood that like in Facade, chloe could see what clark and Lois could not.

Comment

Originally posted by ginnyfan
              I've watched this episode again since my original post and Chloe was... teasing to get the low down on Clark's love life. He snapped at her (not ready for this conversation) so she quickly changed the subject to Journalism. Seemed to me like Chloe was going down the list of prospects and perhaps hoping that Clark was starting to move on.

I completely disagree because she immediately expressed jealousy after Clark asked her to clarify her questioning and her statements.

Comment

Yes but her jealousy wasn't regarding his love life. And I think that was what she changed the subject to when he snapped at her. She was deflecting.

Comment

Originally posted by ginnyfan
                  Yes but her jealousy wasn't regarding his love life. And I think that was what she changed the subject to when he snapped at her. She was deflecting.

No. The focus of the conversation was the amount of time that Chloe thought Clark was spending with her cousin. When Clark tells her that they don't spend much time together, she scoffs and says that he spends more time with her cousin than she spends with Jimmy. It's the same as saying, I'm engaged and I don't spend as much time with my fiancee as you spend with my cousin. What's up with that. She was fishing for clues about the nature of their relationship.

When Clark asks her what she is trying to imply, then she temporarily shifts the focus of the conversation to the idea that she imagined working alongside him as a journalist.

Then the conversation returns to Clark's love life when she implies that he is attracted to Tess.

Chloe: [ Chuckling ] Yeah, at 500 bucks a plate, I'll bet. I'm just glad you've got your press pass. Although, as much as I love the one-on-one time, I got to say I'm actually surprised Lois unattached you from her hip.

Clark: What do you mean? Lois and I aren't always together.

Chloe: Clark, you see her more than I see Jimmy, and we're engaged.

Clark: What are you trying to say?

Chloe: Never mind. I guess I just always thought that I would be the one circling your typos.

Clark: Lois doesn't circle typos. She underlines them two or three times. And she couldn't skip out early. In typical Lois fashion, she's already on Tess' bad side.

Chloe: Tess. That's assuming that the Luthor wannabe has a good side.

Clark: I know she's a die-hard Lex supporter. But up until this point, she's been civil.

Chloe: Uh-huh. And I'm sure the flowing hair and piercing green eyes didn't sway you at all.
                  The focus of the conversation is his love life and working with him as a journalist.

Comment

I think Chloe's behavior emulates how Clark is regarding the women in his life. I think he is possessive and territorial of Lana, Chloe, Lois and his mother (when she was around).

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎